American Principles Project: Winning on Principle

2009 May 29

A few weeks ago phineas gage commented,

Conservatism does not need to be reinvented.

It needs to be remembered.

Well, today I can give you some good news!   I am excited to introduce to you the American Principles Project, launched Thursday, May 28th, at a press conference by Robert P. George, J.D., D.Phil., the McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence and Founder and Director of the James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions at Princeton University.  He is the founder of the American Principles Project.  (He was also busy debating Doug Kmiec on Thursday!).

From the APP About the Project page, Foundations of the American Principles Project:

The United States of America does not need new principles.  It needs renewed fidelity to the principles set forth in our Delcaration of Independence and the Constitution…

If these timeless principles are to be restored and our national commitment to them renewed, then a new voice is needed in American politics, a voice that is unafraid to stand up for what is right and speak out against what is wrong…

The American Principles Project has been created to help every citizen who truly wishes to be part of what our founding fathers called this great, “experiement in ordered liberty,” to be an informed citizen, and thus someone empowered to make a difference.

Are we conservatives? You bet we are, if by a “conservative” one means a believer in the rule of law, democracy, limited government and respect for civil liberties, private property and the free market, equality of opportunity, the sanctity of human life, the protection of marriage and the family, and the defense of our nation’s sovereignty and security. For us, these convictions are not platitudes. We are convinced that the renewal of our nation and the flourishing of our people vitally depend on making these historic ideals and commitments once again operative in the laws and policies by which we govern ourselves.

Their Resources page contains what is sure to be a growing list of articles and links to offer some discerning thinking and to give assistance in fighting propaganda.  Thomas Peters, who just received a graduate degree, will begin work as their Communications Director on June 1st.   His blog, American Papist, has already won recognition.  He has provided a link to the APP twitter feed.

Fred Barnes has more information: The Principled Opposition Princeton’s Robert George sets up a conservative activist group with intellectual heft.

Yesterday I mentioned this article from 2003 for those of you who are not familiar with George.  I think you’ll enjoy reading about him in action as a professor as well as some fascinating biographical material:

Conservative Heavyweight: The Remarkable Mind of Robert P. George

The American Principles Project states:

Across the country, Americans are looking for men and women of firm conviction and sound principles to lead our nation into the future.  A conservatism that is true to the political and moral principles that made America great will win, and will do so for the best of all possible reasons:  because it deserves to win.

John Adams’ words still hold true:

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people;…This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.

Godspeed to Robby George; may he be one of many who will remind and reinvigorate the people of our nation through advocating and expounding our founding principles.


Quotes:  phineas gage, American Principles Project, John Adams (via

Crossposted in a modified format to RedState Member Diaries and J’s Cafe Nette.

5 Responses leave one →
  1. 2009 May 29 1:57 pm
    justrand permalink

    Americans in 1776 were ready to fight…but still hoped they wouldn’t have to. On April 18, 1775 those living between Boston and Concord heard Paul Revere and Dr. Samuel Prescott alert them to the approach of the British…and left their warm beds to march to Lexington and Concord.

    Robert P. George is ready to do his part…I just hope enough Americans are still willing to leave their comfy beds!

  2. 2009 May 29 3:26 pm

    What you want me to get out of bed??? That’s just crazy talk! 😉

  3. 2009 May 29 4:08 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

    The GOP is basically dead. They have accepted 80% of the left’s agenda, and they’re yelling for us to hurry up and support them so they can stop the remaining 20%, no 10% ok, maybe 5%, oh hell just vote for us we’re not Dems, oh wait well actually we are, so ok forget it. But vote for us.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. American Principles Project: Winning on Principle - INC’s blog - RedState
  2. Leadership: Resolve and Fortitude and Perseverance In The Face of All Odds | Be John Galt

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.