A Nation Divided

2009 June 23

Today’s Rasmussen Reports illustrates how deeply divided our nation is. Zero truly is at zero in the Daily Presidential Poll. In fact, rather surprisingly, His overall popularity has increased by 2% since Sunday. I believe the movement in the Daily Presidential Tracking Poll demonstrates how wishy-washy and fickle independent voters truly are. Some saw Him on TV last night and thought He was likeable, others read a favorable article, a few probably liked the flavor of custard He ordered. Who knows? Trying to appeal to independent voters is difficult bacause they are constantly shifting. Many don’t know what they want. They are looking for someone to tell them.

In 2000 Bush ran as the “great unifier” and proved to be just the opposite. Obama has the potential to tear the nation apart.

BHObamacrop.jpg

I know you all love me. Well, you better or I’ll have Michelle kick your scrawny white a$$es.

1. 2009 June 23 11:58 am
    janzam permalink

I was just thinking today about my own take on the threshold of likability of the last three presidents. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking their policies.

After 5 years I turned off the TV when Clinton came on the screen.

After 7 years I turned off the TV when Bush came on the screen.

After 4 months I almost threw the TV off the shelf when Obama appeared!

2. 2009 June 23 12:06 pm
    phineas gage permalink

I had to laugh when I read jan’s comment–it was almost precisely the same for me, except with the addition that the marxist has made me give up television entirely and live a media-free existence.

It is really quite peaceful. Which is good, because I was beginning to twitch like Chief Inspector Dreyfus reacting to Inspector Clouseau whenever I saw the marxist.

3. 2009 June 23 12:18 pm
    janzam permalink

PG

Almost like you, I rarely turn on the news anymore — it’s like watching fictional, scripted accounts of what others want you to believe is going on in this country and/or the world.

Looking at the ratings, on what appears to be a water slide sharply sloped downward, I would say there are others who feel the same way!

4. 2009 June 23 12:31 pm

janzam, pg,

Aaaaah. So THAT is the reason for the switch to digital television. With no way to receive a signal with the old analog set, people stop following the news. Dang that FCC is SOO smart!

5. 2009 June 23 12:34 pm

To what does the press consider likable? I mean is that a metric of achievement to count on? Heck I had an uncle that was the life of the family during the Holidays. But we all knew don’t count on him for nuttin’ but a good story. I feel the say way about Obama.

6. 2009 June 23 12:39 pm

Not shocked he is at zero. Looking forward to negative numbers!

7. 2009 June 23 1:53 pm

A dumb observation on my part and I wonder why Congress does not implement something like this.

Identify an income credit for everybody for health insurance. That is not a foreign idea as there are 5-6 credits like this now.

Individual adjusts W-2 deductions to free up the cash to pay for the insurance. They then go get the best deal they can or if the employer is kicking in $$ they may option to manage the plan.

Part of the package is that if a company wants to sell insurance in this country their insurance risk pools have to have a low income option. Incentive for doing so, if the carrier does make a profit on that end of the pool they can carry that $$ to the bottom line with a reduced tax rate.

It all stays private, minimizes govt meddling and has relatively little budget impact to the Feds. But alas we are in Obamaland now….

8. 2009 June 23 4:20 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

It took you 5 years to turn off Clinton????

I was done with Bush after Miers. Fed up well before that, though, beginning with campaign finance reform and “islam is a religion of peace”….

9. 2009 June 23 4:21 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Dog, that is a well-reasoned plan. So it’s out, obviously.

10. 2009 June 23 4:30 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Let the nation be divided. The idea that the left hated Bush so intensely when he did their bidding on so many issues is proof that we cannot live together, so be it.

It can be an amicable divorce, it does not have to be a bloodbath.

11. 2009 June 23 5:53 pm
    booshkindoggin permalink

Despise is such an ugly word, but I’m starting to use it a lot.

12. 2009 June 23 6:28 pm

Clinton and Bush?

It is blasphemy, but at this point, I would throw a big party to welcome either of them back.

13. 2009 June 23 7:27 pm

“Identify an income credit for everybody for health insurance.”

Dog that reminds me of something similar mentioned in that paper some time ago back in the PP days, was a three part solution to move forward, NST, Private SS, and the part I didn’t like that much but was willing to hear out – a free-market individual healthcare via baseline income-credit proposal.