Republicans Down on their Own Party

2009 June 12

A Gallup survey released yesterday demonstrates the problems the GOP is having with 38% of its members viewing it unfavorably.

This was a point of discussion on Lou Dobbs show last night as Dobbs and Bill Schneider discussed the situation. Schneider pointed out that this isn’t surprising for a party out of power and cited similar statistics for the Democrats in the 2002-03 timeframe. Dobbs cited another survey, which unfortunately I don’t have, that showed that approximately 60% of independents think the GOP should become more moderate while about 60% of Republicans think the party should become more conservative.

AWR Hawkins at American Thinker also weighed in this morning as to how he views the party’s weaknesses.

Can it be fixed? How would you do it?

1. 2009 June 12 7:18 am
    chekote permalink

BC

Your hatred for Steele is unbearable. He has done his primary job – raising fund – very well. To blame Steele is another uselee distraction. As far as Republicans being “hard” on Sotomayor, the Dems have the numbers to do whatever they want. Picking fight you know you are going to lose is NOT what the GOP needs now. Too many conservatives are itching for any confrontation just to release their frustration. But that would damage the party even more.

2. 2009 June 12 7:31 am

“Your hatred for Steele is unbearable.”

Yes, the last time I mentioned Steele was like at least a month ago. Quite frankly, I hate everyone in the GOP establishment.

I originally planned on running the Gallup article yesterday, but there were so many threads I held off until this morning. And, I saw the American Thinker article on another site with a note that read, “bc3b, I wrote this especially for you because I know how much you hate Micheal Steele. Feel free to use it to bash him.”

lol. Have a great day!

3. 2009 June 12 7:36 am
    phineas gage permalink

‘Picking fight you know you are going to lose is NOT what the GOP needs now’

Winning or losing in this instance is irrelevant. Standing up proudly and loudly for conservative principles is precisely what the GOP should be doing. The fact that you don’t like it is revealing.

4. 2009 June 12 7:36 am

Actually I am not actually that anti-Sotomayor. I thought Obama was going to appoint Diane Wood (a federal judge from Chicago, who I thought would be much worse). With Obama as President, you’re going to get a liberal and if Sotomayor fails, the next one could be far worse.

I do believe, however, the Republicans have a responsibility to question her thoroughly. You’re right, the GOP doesn’t have the votes to stop her, so why wage a major war?

5. 2009 June 12 7:52 am
    janzam permalink

I think the more we “talk” about the disarray of the GOP the more you are going to get those unfavorable numbers among republicans about themselves.

Perhaps this is just a process people, as well as organizations, must go through in order to “find themselves.” But, it would seem that energy would be better placed on defining belief systems and core principles, rather than simply “coring” people out in the republican party.

6. 2009 June 12 8:43 am
    chekote permalink

Jan

I agree. The time would be better spent on putting together a legislative program around which all factions can unite. Going around picking fights you know your are going to lose or trying to determine who is the purest conservative is getting us nowhere.

7. 2009 June 12 9:10 am
    gerryowen permalink

HAH!

…and they didn’t even call me on this poll…

we are not alone, compadres, we are not alone….

8. 2009 June 12 9:39 am
    BCL permalink

Rasmussen Poll generally looking better for Republicans and conservatism.

LINK

9. 2009 June 12 9:47 am
    davidt permalink

Republicans are dissatisfied with the party because the ‘leaders’ are more interested in serving themselves rather than serving the party.

10. 2009 June 12 10:05 am

What about the GOP disappoints me?
    – The “Republican establishment” sucks and has for years. It has no courage and no vision. It wants to win elections, but doesn’t know how because it has no soul
    – The Congressional wing of the GOP. Again, I see most GOP members of Congress having a greater interest in being liked and not wanting to offend anyone than anything else
    – GOP strategists – it’s like they took all the losers in the world and dumped them in one place: K Street

What about the GOP excites me?
    – A number of GOP governors who I see as the future of the party, but “Sorry Charlie,” you’re not one
    – The base: we have a lot of dedicated conservatives who got excited in 2008 and are willing to break their necks for causes and candidates they believe in
    – The women of the GOP. They’re strong, conservative, courageous and outspoken, and, in most cases very attractive. Then, there’s Kay Barely Republican.

11. 2009 June 12 1:27 pm

Fire Steele. Put in Palin. Shove Newt at strategy then tell him to shut up. Put the Republican governors on the board. Tell Cornyn either get wise or get gone. Push funding down to the State level. As it is right now, the Party needs to rebuild from the bottom up and take back the House. You don’t accomplish that shoving $$ at Washington RNC.

Well he asked.