Retailers Leaving Detroit

2009 June 16

Anybody wanna move up here and be my friend? After all, we have a record-setting NFL team. How many cities can say that?

By the way, Borders (in nearby Ann Arbor) lost $80 million in the first quarter.

A dying city, a losing team and no cheerleaders. The Lions are getting new uniforms this season. That’s like buying Nancy Pelosi a new suit and hoping she’ll somehow become a beautiful woman. It ain’t gonna happen!

1. 2009 June 16 3:02 pm
    theghostofreason permalink

bc – Not to rub salt in a wound, especially after my Pens beat your Wings last week, but I have it on good authority that there will be more cooked turkeys in attendence for the Thanksgiving Day game than fans…. is this true? They were citing the fact that people are truly leaving the metro area in droves.

2. 2009 June 16 4:05 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

B3

I sympathize with you, however, there does not seem to be anything in the future to help Detroit.

You can thank the Labor Unions for killing the Golden Goose.

3. 2009 June 16 4:28 pm

As I keep reminding everyone, there is planty of blame to go around in the auto industry. The UAW is definitely a problem but so were automotive “leaders” like Bob Eaton, Jac Nassar and Rick Wagoner. they and their predecessors and successors helped get the “Detroit Three” where they are. Generous Motors applied to white collar workers as well as the UAW.

As for the Thanksgiving game, it’s alway a squeaker for at least the first three minutes and I expect it will be again this year. The Lions used to have four batton twirlers – one in each corner of the end zone – but the Fords got rid of them too. All we have are “faggy” guys running around with Lions flags.

4. 2009 June 16 4:32 pm

theghostofreason wrote –

“bc – Not to rub salt in a wound, especially after my Pens beat your Wings last week.”

As I remember, you also rubbed in in the night it happened. Fortunately, one of my clients (originally from Pittsburgh) is a big Pens fan (he couldn’t care less about the Steelers). Hopefully. he’s in a good mood and will throw a couple of extra bones my way.

5. 2009 June 16 4:40 pm

BC3B,

I would love to come up and visit and chew the political fat — in the summer. I left NJ oh so many years ago and I promised myself I would never move back some place I had to use a snow shovel ever again.

6. 2009 June 16 5:58 pm
    booshkindoggin permalink

Let ’em eat octopus. Seriously, time for MI to go no-state-tax and remove restrictions on business, then stand back for serious growth.

7. 2009 June 16 6:23 pm

booshkindoggin –

You’re right. If the state reduced business taxes and other restrictions, it would make sense for businesses to locate here. There are plenty of good empty buildings that are affordable. You have a tremendous labor pool that is affordable. Housing is extremely attractive. The ‘burbs are nice. Lions tickets are always available.

8. 2009 June 16 6:26 pm

With local officials like Monica Conyers, Detroit is dead man walking.

9. 2009 June 16 6:34 pm

“With local officials like Monica Conyers, Detroit is dead man walking.”

Just stay north of Eight Mile Road; make that Ten Mile Road (a two-mile buffer zone).

The only time I cross Eight Mile Road is to go to a Tigers game.

10. 2009 June 16 6:35 pm

Chicago pols are no more honest than Detroit’s; just smarter.

11. 2009 June 16 6:37 pm

Is the wife of the House Judiciary Committee Chairman going to jail on the bribery charge?

Hope so – poetic justice and all.