The Cost of Freedom

2009 June 26
by justrand

The Cost of Freedom

Distractions.  In the movie “The Great Escape” the night of the escape arrives only to find the prisoner’s tunnel is 20 feet short of the trees, thus leaving them exposed when crawling out of it.  They set up an agonizingly slow relay system, but it isn’t until a chance air-raid occurs that they are able to escape en masse.  The air-raid cuts the lights around the camp, and provides a distraction for the guards…dozens of prisoners escape in the process.  Sadly, not all distractions have such beneficial aspects.   For example, just this week…

The Iranian government brutally suppressed the people protesting the sham election, yet President Obama left open the invitation to the Iranian government to participate in July 4th celebr….

Ed McMahon is dead

During a press conference President Obama received a spoon-fed question from a “reporter”, a ‘no-no’ even by the almost non-existent White House press corps standards.  When confronted with the complete breach of….

Mark Sanford admits to affair

The cost of the Cap & Trade bill now rushing through Congress will result in the energy costs of every American doubling or tripling within months of….

Farah Fawcett is dead

During a day-long infomercial on National Healthcare, President Obama said: “We may decide that someone shouldn’t have a particular operation, but should just receive pain-medication instead”.  The President then…

Michael Jackson is reported ill

Democrats are moving swiftly to pass an immigration bill granting legal status to 20 million illegal immigrants.  The bill also contains a requirement that all Americans obtain bio-metric identification cards as a requirement for empl….

Michael Jackson is dead

North Korea reaffirms its intent to launch a missile in the direction of Hawaii in a test of their ballistic missile capab….

Michael Jackson is STILL dead.

You get the picture.  I’ve often wondered if, as Paul Revere and Dr. Prescott rode through Massachusetts shouting “The British are coming”, some residents flung open their windows and shouted back: “HEY…I’m trying to get some sleep!”

Every time  someone comes up to me today and tries to bring up Michael Jackson, I’m going to reply: “Did you know that your energy costs are about to skyrocket because of the Cap & Tax legislation?” –or- “How will you feel if the government tells you or a member of your family they cannot have an operation to be healed, but must just take pain medication instead to mask the affliction?”  -or- “Are you aware that our government plans to host the same Iraniasn on July 4th that are massacring their citizens today?”.  And so on!

The Cost of Freedom?  Spreading the word..though it pisses people off who want to talk about the DISTRACTIONS that are masking the critical things happening.  Yes, Michael Jackson IS dead.  But our country is being MURDERED!   Re-focus the conversation, even if people shout at you: “HEY…I’m trying to get some sleep!”

1. 2009 June 26 9:34 am
    durman permalink

Creative post – all too true, such is the fallen ineffective MSM we have today.

2. 2009 June 26 9:39 am
    phineas gage permalink

A nation of idiots.

The government it deserves.

3. 2009 June 26 9:44 am
    janzam permalink

The BEST “Cost of Freedom” post to date. Timely and hits the nail on the head.

A nation of idiots. Indeed, PG. It feels like it today.

4. 2009 June 26 9:48 am

Very good post. Too bad we can’t cue up the film ‘Idiotaracy’ in a sidebar and let it run full length. The MJ thing is just too much.

There was one good piece out of it though. It got the Mark Sanford bs off the front page.

5. 2009 June 26 9:56 am

Excellent post. Nation of idiots is right.

6. 2009 June 26 10:25 am
    janzam permalink

When I read Justrand’s excellent reminder of the “Cost of Freedom,” my mind is pulled back to the juxtaposition we cast with those protesters in Iran who are out there putting their lives on the line for their freedom.

Atlas Shrugs has some indelible visuals on people facing oppression, head on; link is here.

Two of my favorites are the black garbed figure giving Admadinejed the finger, and one of a little boy, stripped to his waist, standing up to Iranian police.

It makes you wonder, where are the guts of Americans today?

7. 2009 June 26 10:41 am

The passage of Cap and Trade may actually be a blessing in disguise. If the sheep are to stand up, it will probably be over an economic issue. This may well be the straw that broke the camels back.

8. 2009 June 26 10:51 am
    conservativetony permalink

Listening to the debate coming from the doofus side of the House as they inform the ‘uneducated’ how Cap and Trade will create jobs is mindboggling.

Then again, those same Democrats do consider somebody sitting around the house collecting ‘subsidies’ to be gainfully employed.

9. 2009 June 26 11:04 am
    conservativetony permalink

Little OT–but still fun to read.

Specter is toast

“Even more troubling for the senator is that the proportion of state residents who believe he deserves re-election has declined from 40 percent to 28 percent,” said the poll’s director, G. Terry Madonna.

10. 2009 June 26 11:17 am

CT –

Cap and trade will create plenty of jobs … for Al Gore and his cronies.

11. 2009 June 26 11:26 am

BC

I found it amusing Piglosi disinvited Gore to the party. Republicans have been calling it the Peloise C & T bill, but they should probably include his name to that.

I heard somewhere that Obama has been twisting arms for votes. If it fails, he gets dinged for it; if it passes, he gets dinged for it.

We’ll know in a few hours if it passes or not. If the bill is pulled, it means the Pig can’t be assured of her votes; if the votes is held as schedulded……..we’re toast.

12. 2009 June 26 11:28 am
    janzam permalink

A very interesting article from WSJ on climate change.

H/T Drudge

The number of skeptics, far from shrinking, is swelling. Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe now counts more than 700 scientists who disagree with the U.N. — 13 times the number who authored the U.N.’s 2007 climate summary for policymakers. Joanne Simpson, the world’s first woman to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology, expressed relief upon her retirement last year that she was finally free to speak “frankly” of her nonbelief. Dr. Kiminori Itoh, a Japanese environmental physical chemist who contributed to a U.N. climate report, dubs man-made warming “the worst scientific scandal in history.” Norway’s Ivar Giaever, Nobel Prize winner for physics, decries it as the “new religion.” A group of 54 noted physicists, led by Princeton’s Will Happer, is demanding the American Physical Society revise its position that the science is settled. (Both Nature and Science magazines have refused to run the physicists’ open letter.)

The climate change climate change

13. 2009 June 26 11:32 am
    janzam permalink

BTW Tony

Read that Specter link you suppplied…what I find confusing is that all the polls posted at Hedgehog, for instance, show Specter winning against supposed opponents in the upcoming Senator race. From these polls it doesn’t appear that Specter has lost enought support to lose.

14. 2009 June 26 11:50 am
    conservativetony permalink

Jan, here’s more amusing stuff

The headlines:

SEX SCANDAL: Ensign’s approval rating drops
    –But he’s still Nevada’s most popular senior elected official

Ensign should put out an ad: “I made a mistake, and I apologize, but at least I’m not THIS guy.” while showing a picture of Sen Reid.

15. 2009 June 26 11:53 am
    janzam permalink

Tony

Politics certainly does seem to short-circuit logic and common sense! LOL

16. 2009 June 26 11:55 am
    conservativetony permalink

I actually think Toomey has a good shot in PA, but he won’t be running against Specter.

17. 2009 June 26 12:11 pm

“Idiotaracy”

very funny movie

18. 2009 June 26 12:19 pm

CT — Unless the Dim Party has somebody like Rendell get in, Spectre is running against an unknown in the primary.

19. 2009 June 26 12:26 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Specter, if one believes the poll I linked to, has huge negatives. The people will see him as the backstabber he is.

20. 2009 June 26 12:29 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Oh, and I would like to add that many ‘unknown’ Democrats were voted in 2006 and 2008 simply because Republicans had high negatives.

21. 2009 June 26 1:01 pm

As many of you may know, Sarah Palin often quotes Ronald Reagan. Here’s an especially appropriate quote she Twittered today (given the direction our nation is headed):

More Reagan “Freedom’s never more than 1 generation away from extinction We didn’t pass it to children in bloodstream it must be fought for”
    about 6 hours ago from TwitterBerry

For those of you who don’t know, Gov. Palin is in Kosovo visiting the Alaskan National Guard troops. While there she’s doing dumb Sarah Palin stuff that critics hate – like actually spending time with the rank and file troops at a barbecue, sightseeing with them and even jogging with them.

She also met with Lithuanian Minister of Defense, Rasa Jukneviciene, who also is a woman. They exchanged “girl talk,” discussing the features of their favorite assult rifles.

22. 2009 June 26 1:12 pm
    chekote permalink

I know she is in Kosovo. You know, Obama also has quoted Reagan in the past and spoke admiringly of him, I guess we should vote for Obama. I tried watching the clip of her talking to the troops. After the tenth “you guys”, I couldn’t take it anymore. Tired of the “common man shtick”. We know she is one of the people. She needs to prove she has G-R-A-V-I-T-A-S. Again, she needs a speech coach so she stop sounding like a pageant contestant or a nervous nelly by speaking at warp speed.

23. 2009 June 26 1:13 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Great stuff happening during the C&T debate

Republicans are asking go see the 300 pages added in last night and nobody can produce them. This is a circus.

24. 2009 June 26 1:14 pm

go=to

25. 2009 June 26 1:22 pm

She needs to have G-R-A-V-I-T-A-S

Translation: She needs to abort something.

26. 2009 June 26 2:05 pm

300 pages added at 3:00 a.m. WHERE is the media on this sham of “Transparency” and “Bi-Partisanship” that Pelosi swept into office on???

Why they’re camped out at Michael Jackson’s place! Why? Apparently they really do expect him to rise from the dead!

27. 2009 June 26 2:09 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Apparently they really do expect him to “rise” from the dead!

If only a 5 year……………………………….

Sorry, I am unable to complete the comment.

28. 2009 June 26 2:11 pm
    chekote permalink

Translation: She needs to abort something.

Why are so many conservatives concerned with women’s wombs? MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. And stop bringing up abortion and Trig as the reason that people don’t support Palin. It makes conservatives look like IDIOTS! I am taking advice from the article PG posted earlier.

29. 2009 June 26 2:15 pm

Since when do you take advice? 😉

30. 2009 June 26 2:23 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Finding fault in everything Palin does makes you RINO’s look like idiots.

And nobody cares what you ‘abortionists’ do to your wombs. Burn them for all I care. We only care if there is somebody ‘borrowing’ the space for a short while.

31. 2009 June 26 2:25 pm
    chekote permalink

KH

Since this morning.

32. 2009 June 26 2:25 pm

Awesome! 😉

33. 2009 June 26 2:35 pm
    chekote permalink

There are two things that conservatives say about Palin that makes the whole movement look like idiots:

1) Liberals attack her because they fear her. Not True. They attack her because they think she is an idiot and don’t like her. Same with Bush. Did the liberals fear Bush? Nope. Actually, Bush became the best campaign theme for Democrats. Palin has the potential of doing the same.

2) People attack her because she didn’t abort Trig. The reality is that Trig is important to the pro-birth crowd. The rest of the people don’t give a rip. Liberals have attacked her for using Trig as a prop which I intially thought it was a mean thing to say. But after months of hearing the pro-birth crowd go on and on about Trig, I am starting to think they may have a point.

34. 2009 June 26 2:38 pm
    chekote permalink

KH

So the best computer brands are Dell and HP?

35. 2009 June 26 2:43 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Chek, its not about abortion. I just added that line because it just happened to fit in nicely against your gravitas comment.

What politician besides Sarah Palin is even saying anything about ANYTHING? Nobody on the right with the exception of Conservative talk show hosts and Palin even stand up. And every time they stand up and speak, you find fault with them.

If you wanted to be taken seriously regarding your dislike of her, then you will have to stop tearing her down for every thing she says or does.

36. 2009 June 26 2:45 pm
    janzam permalink

Chekote

If Palin was really as vapid as you make her out to be she would only have lasted for that 15-minutes-of-fame window, then faded.

But, that wasn’t the case. So, I think there is more to her popularity than you as a person can see.

Also, the liberals make fun of people they fear, and that includes GB. That’s how they keep leaders, or potential leaders, ground down and unable to get a lot a traction.

37. 2009 June 26 2:48 pm
    chekote permalink

Jan

She has a cult of personality following her. That’s not enough to win elections. Her approval numbers are way down in Alaska and she suggested she might not run for re-election. All she does is give a few canned talking point and her fan club faints a la rock concert. Other governors have spoken up about the Obama policies.

38. 2009 June 26 2:49 pm
    chekote permalink

CT

Sanford led the way on the stimulus vote. Jindal, Barbour, Daniels they all spoke up about Obama policies.

39. 2009 June 26 2:53 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Computers for the most part, are generally made from the components of a small number of manufacturers. Its not whats on the inside, its how you are treated as a customer.

The most important aspect in your purchase should be brand name and customer service support. Generally, Dell has pretty good customer service support. HP, not so good. Also, it matters where you purchase your computer. Staples and Bestbuy both sell Dell, so if you have good experiences at either one of those outlets, you should also keep that in mind.

Just my 2c

40. 2009 June 26 2:55 pm
    janzam permalink

Chekote

Most people, who have been raked over the coals as much as Palin has, would be in the negative numbers!

Although her numbers are certainly down in Alaska they are still viable enough that people are waiting in the wings to see if she will run or not. If she does run, the powers that be have said no one would want to go up against her because she will win.

So, Chekote, she is not exactly throwing gutter balls with that kind of public backing.

Besides, I think Palin’s hesitancy to announce a 2nd term or not, is being weighed against her desire to pursue higher office. In the meantime, she seems to have the wherewithall to sit it out longer until such a decision reveals itself to her.

41. 2009 June 26 3:01 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Yes, Sanford did speak up regarding the stimulus package, but he’s a goner. (I think)

42. 2009 June 26 3:15 pm
    chekote permalink

Thanks Tony.

43. 2009 June 26 3:23 pm

“So the best computer brands are Dell and HP?”

In general that is my view yes, IBM’s aren’t so bad either.

44. 2009 June 26 3:24 pm

HP support is fine.. so long as you don’t have a presario – they outsource that support, or did up though 2007.

45. 2009 June 26 3:32 pm
    conservativetony permalink

I do some warranty support for both Dell and HP. HP is often sloppy and often wont do what’s best for the customer–at least I notice that here in MT.

Also, I will guess you are talking more on the enterprise side–not so much on the consumer side, correct?

46. 2009 June 26 3:44 pm
    chekote permalink

Dell sounds like the better option. I want something that is going to last!!!!!!

47. 2009 June 26 3:53 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I hate Dell computers. But they last. They are far more durable than HPs. But I still hate them.

Why are so many conservatives concerned with women’s wombs?

Even a moron like yourself should know by now that we don’t give a damn about any womb. wtf is a womb anyway, what a stupid word. Anyway, go ahead and rip yours out if you want to, we don’t care.

We care about what is inside of it.

48. 2009 June 26 3:54 pm

I’ve had my share of issue with all vendors, dell,hp,acer,ibm,gateway,etc that’s why I just build my own.

(enterprise side – if directed at me yes, I generally don’t buy the consumer lines, not even for home or friends)

49. 2009 June 26 3:56 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Yes, that was directed at you and I figured that would be the case.

50. 2009 June 26 3:58 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I have had 2 HP laptops and they were garbage. Still have one of them and it is a nice looking piece of garbage. I have a Dell laptop and it is bulletproof, but it’s appearance is not elegant.

I build all my family’s desktops, except for my brother who builds his own. You have to do this to get the best prices on high end hardware if you like to build bleeding edge desktop PCs.

51. 2009 June 26 4:00 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Of course my best desktop is no longer bleeding edge, but it was 2 years ago. 🙁

52. 2009 June 26 4:01 pm
    conservativetony permalink

I also build all my PCs and build some for my customers who want high-end machines–usually gamers.

53. 2009 June 26 4:04 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Yes, gaming. Left 4 dead 2 and Call of Duty 5 will soon be out. dx 10 has been a necessity for at least a year now, so all my dx9 video cards and PCs get handed off to family members to make room for the new stuff.

Although my desktop is powerful and plays all these games smoothly in high detail, it only benchmarks half as high as my brother’s new machine, which is less than 6 months old.

I’m getting a little old for video games. But I still do it to keep up on the tech. Plus left 4 dead and bioshock are teriffic games…

54. 2009 June 26 4:10 pm
    conservativetony permalink

If it wasn’t for gamers, there would be a real need for speed.

Nobody is ever to old for video games.

55. 2009 June 26 4:15 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Yes, I like the F1 and Colin McRae rally series as well. Feels like the real deal with a big enough screen and a force feedback wheel…. sigh…

56. 2009 June 26 4:20 pm

Something we can all agree on finally. lol

BTW GOP just gave away the cap&trade vote. 219 passage 8 GOP defectors.

57. 2009 June 26 4:29 pm

Crap, more MJ crap.

58. 2009 June 26 4:37 pm

Time to play some TF2 🙂

59. 2009 June 26 6:22 pm

😆 Gotta love imao:

So, any news from Iran? How are they coping with Michael Jackson’s death?

60. 2009 June 26 7:40 pm

“How are they coping with Michael Jackson’s death?”

I hear they are all beat up over it. 😉

61. 2009 June 26 8:49 pm