Rep John Fleming On ObamaCare

2009 July 24
by MFG

Watch this video!

1. 2009 July 25 3:37 am
    Reiniger permalink

Making Dems sign on to whatever gov’t plan they vote for? Nice.

Portable insurance strikes me as the best idea the Republicans have put out. Personally, I’d like to see healthy competition in the private national market (and competition lowers price, of course), along the lines of car insurance’s Geico v Allstate v Progressive (nonstop commercials, price comparisons, etc.).

I don’t really care for the whole “no such thing as preexisting disease” caveat. There IS such a thing as preexisting disease, and there’s no reason an insurance company, entering the market voluntarily, should be forced to ignore it. Also, most of the time the “preexisting disease” is something that the patient can control through lifestyle modification.

I also think it’s odd that politicians on both sides talk about “incentivizing” healthy behavior that leads to disease prevention. Shouldn’t the prospect of not dying a slow, expensive death in the ICU because you’ve destroyed your heart/vessels/lungs/liver/kidneys through your lifetime of smoking/heavy drinking/gluttony be incentive enough?…

Still, good video. I hope the recess gives Republicans plenty of time to get this info to the general public.

2. 2009 July 25 5:05 am
    phineas gage permalink

Good post at HA.

I will make a prediction. If we actually survive the reign of the marxist–no sure thing–this will be what actually causes what decades of GOP pandering could not, a collapse of the monolithic plantation support by blacks for the Democrat party.

Nothing like first-hand experience.

3. 2009 July 25 5:08 am
    phineas gage permalink

Why is this guy still in the Senate?

Can’t South Carolina run a special election and replace him with a household appliance or houseplant?

Conservatives have much work to do starting in 2010, and it begins at home.

4. 2009 July 25 6:34 am
    brucefdb permalink

Phineas, I used to think blacks would wake up and realize that Dems and government programs were not their friends but their Slave Masters.

But the addiction to the crumbs doesn’t die and there are plenty of Community Organizers to keep them enraged at whitey. No, I’ll be surprised if your prediction comes true….but I would love to see it.

It has also amazed me that the non-black Americans don’t see that the elitists want to do (and are doing) to us what they did to the blacks.

5. 2009 July 25 6:56 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I don’t know. Beck had a stat on his show Friday: 97% of blacks still support Obama.

I am afraid they love him because they support his long term agenda, which is the complete reversal (as they see it) of the pecking order in society, with whites reverse discriminated against as a matter of policy…

Why else would white co-workers of mine tell me that in the weeks following Barkey’s inauguration, (I love Tammy’s term for him) they were pushed aside on sidewalks, threatened by accelerating cars on crosswalks, jeered at by passing cars and pedestrians, all black, all saying “We are in charge now”.

Unless they were lying, (many incidents of this type have been reported across the country) it appears that at least some in the black community see this as a chance to really transform the society along Barkey’s lines, and they appear to tacitly agree with that goal.

This is what will bring violence, if politics somehow doesn’t. People will resist the destruction of their lives, liberty and property, with force if necessary.

When they do, there may very well be a totally inevitable clash, because the other side is expecting to see those things handed over, and will quite possibly move to take them if they are not.

God help us.

Do not be afraid, but be prepared…

6. 2009 July 25 7:02 am
    phineas gage permalink

Agreed, rwy. I don’t think the marxist is going down without igniting full-fledged race wars in this country. That is going to happen.

In the aftermath of those terrible events, we may then see some resolution of this issue and American blacks beginning to regain the ability to equally participate in a system of free individual enterprise and liberty. As part of that process, they would likely assume some degree of political equilibrium–hence my earlier post.

No group of people can sustain their level of cultural pathology for long. It is simply not possible.

7. 2009 July 25 7:07 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

As for me, I will live by the golden rule toward all people regardless of race, and will only use force in defense of myself and family.

I am fond of saying I don’t oppose Barack Obama because he is black, (or half-black, heh). I oppose him because he is a flat out Communist. He is Daniel Ortega with a Chicago accent. (“let’s have sum beerse”) I’d be thrilled to have Thomas Sowell or Clarance Thomas, or Ken Blackwell, or Bo Snerdly, for example as POTUS.

But it may turn out to be true over time, that Ogabe’s race and the teachings he heard and believed during his upbringing influence his politics so heavily that race does bear heavily on the political scene.

Lord knows he slips into Sharpton mode and plays the race card easily enough.

So, the bottom line is that it’s difficult to be hopeful that peace and prosperity will return to us. Race tensions may fade if everyone is busy walking the path of their dreams.

But austerity and deprivation, (along with playing with matches near a powder keg that never is really de-fused) can turn us into different people.

Let’s hope this does not happen. I see signs it already is, however.

8. 2009 July 25 7:15 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

There is a tacit veto power that forward blacks have in any discussion of many subjects that range from office politics to local and federal politics to law enforcement, to the courts, and to nearly everything in between.

That is the race card.

Anytime any black person wants to shut you up or put you back on your heels, they can play the race card. It does not always work. It’s power is not universal, but many times nearly so.

And Obama, as he did this week, will play this card as he needs to to push his awful policy along.

When it stops working is when you have to watch out.

9. 2009 July 25 7:26 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

This could be the subject of a detailed post, but it may be too controversial. The subject question would be how much of a “Black Panther Marxist” is Obama, as opposed to a regular Marxist.

Is there really much difference?
    Is it significant enough to matter?
    Is it even worth talking about?
    How much will the BP factor influence the Marxist part?
    Will the defeat of his policy goals unleash the spirit of Malcom X?
    Will the successful implementation of his policies do the same?

So on and so on. Hard questions.

10. 2009 July 25 7:37 am
    INC permalink

Reiniger, thanks for your comment. I appreciate having a physician weigh in on this.

I also do not like the terms “no such thing as preexisting disease” or “incentivizing” healthy behavior, especially when the “at-risk” behavior of politicians seems to frequently makes the news.

11. 2009 July 25 7:38 am
    INC permalink

Obama is down to -9 at Rass.

12. 2009 July 25 7:43 am
    Reiniger permalink

I truly wish Sharpton/Obama/Wright/Gates/various other middle-aged race-baiters would realize that my generation (twenties, early thirties) would truly be colorblind but for their constant injection of race into the national conversation. In medical school, none of the students cared whether we were white, black, Asian, Hispanic, whatever. We just assumed that we were all accepted based on our academic achievement. The first talk at our orientation, however, was about how our class was the most racially diversified in Texas, blah blah blah. (Incidently, the young white woman giving the talk handed out a little quiz about her that was supposed to illustrate the inaccuracies of stereotyping. I then, assuming that a young white woman giving a talk about racial diversity would be a bleeding-heart liberal, picked the most stereotypically liberal answers for each question, i.e. “What radio station do I listen to? – NPR.” I tied with two other people in a class of over 200 for most right answers.) Bleh. Unfortunately, I find myself thinking more and more in racial terms as a natural response to the constant playing of the race card. It doesn’t bleed into my personal relationships and interactions, but I’d rather it not affect my views of large-scale demographics, either.

rwy, I didn’t get the revolver – went with the AR-15 instead. Now, if I could just get my hands on an AA-12 (YouTube it if you don’t know what it is – you’ll want one).

13. 2009 July 25 7:56 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Wow. AA-12. Is that a full-auto shotty, so you’d need a NFA stamp for it?

You are invincible with that weap 😀

14. 2009 July 25 7:57 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I recently looked at a semi-auto 12 ga with a 50 round drum. Cost was 3500 so I passed.

Ive got a mossberg 12ga pump that holds 8 in the tube. I like it.

15. 2009 July 25 8:10 am

“There is (a) class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.… There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don’t want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public…”

-Booker T. Washington

16. 2009 July 25 8:27 am
    INC permalink

Great words. That quote must be over 100 years old.

Still true.

17. 2009 July 25 8:28 am

I think it was from 1911.

18. 2009 July 25 8:30 am

Yep 1911. Still very much true.

19. 2009 July 25 8:33 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

If we are going to live in a color blind society, the only way to do that is live in a color blind society. Stop with the affirmative action bullcrap.

Most qualified gets the job.

Then, the serious accusations of racism will be more obvious, and easily condemned by society.

20. 2009 July 25 8:34 am

Pundit & Pundette have this up:

Dogfight in House ugly but ongoing; Update: Dem dispute takes on ‘racial overtones’

*Update: Just read this from Robert Verdi, quoting the NYT:

The intraparty dispute had racial overtones. One African-American Democrat, Representative Hank Johnson of Georgia, pointed out that the seven Blue Dog Democrats holding up the health care bill in the Energy and Commerce Committee were “a nondiverse group” of white men.

21. 2009 July 25 8:37 am
    INC permalink

If another Dem is pulling the race card on his own party, then they’re having real problems.

Remember MLK was a Republican!

22. 2009 July 25 8:39 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Yes, the race-hustlers are going to hammer us into the ground, if we let them.

Again, be armed, be kind, and be patient.

23. 2009 July 25 8:40 am
    INC permalink

The race card only works if you’re guilty!!!

Wonder what that says about white libs!!!

24. 2009 July 25 8:49 am

Bah! I am truly sick of the race card. They are going to create racism in hearts where none existed before. I am already hearing things like “If you are going to accuse me of being a racist, I might as well be one!”. This is SO dangerous.

25. 2009 July 25 8:54 am
    INC permalink

Mary, I was in 8th grade when integration took place. Things went very well in our school. I had thought by this time racism would be long gone except in a few pockets.

Instead, the flames are still fanned by those who have coasted on the race card throughout their lives.

This is NOT what MLK had in mind.

26. 2009 July 25 8:57 am

Read this. I completely agree with the assessment that this will sink AP’s traffic, and I want to assist with that. If they are going to be a pita to anyone linking to them, I say no more linking to them. It may take a little extra effort to find similar stories on other news sites, but it will be worth it.

27. 2009 July 25 9:01 am
    INC permalink

I’m glad you saw that. I was going to email it to you.

28. 2009 July 25 9:03 am

This is NOT what MLK had in mind.

No, it’s not. Color trumping character. Sorry, but how does “This is a black world” show good character? It doesn’t. I do worry that this race baiting will bring about division where there wasn’t any. It breaks my heart for my kids who will grow up in a more and more hateful world. I honestly think there will be a treading back to segregation, because this behavior brings division.

29. 2009 July 25 9:08 am
    INC permalink

The libs are the new George Wallace.

I was glad to see the Cambridge police chief back the white cop. Also that Bill Cosby made a statement. It’s going to take people standing up against the intimidation.

30. 2009 July 25 9:09 am
    INC permalink

Although, actually I don’t know if I’m speaking accurately of Wallace. I think he saw the error of his ways before he died.

31. 2009 July 25 9:13 am

From Heather MacDonald at NRO (via HA):

Promoting Racial Paranoia
    In his comments Wednesday, Obama recycled long-discredited anti-cop fictions.

The Ramirez cartoon for Monday is already up here.

32. 2009 July 25 9:16 am

Obama and Gates are KNOWINGLY putting the lives of every officer in America in danger. They could care less. Gates is going to milk this for all it’s worth, and lives will be lost because of it.

33. 2009 July 25 9:33 am
    INC permalink

Kathleen McKinley, at her blog RightWingSparkle, had some excellent posts up before the presser. She grew up in Mississippi in the 60s.

Black History, My History, And Arms Open Wide

Why Do Blacks Vote Mostly For Democrats?

34. 2009 July 25 9:39 am
    INC permalink

In that last post, she also has a link to a terrific Letter from a black republican, written by a young guy in Tallahassee, no less!!

This is part of it:

But my path to ideological emancipation began where all the most important things always begin—with my father and mother. Growing up, my Army drill sergeant father was a firm believer in tough love. My parents instilled in us Christian values. But I believe that first part—having an involved mother and father—was critical. With 70% of all black babies being born out-of-wedlock, it’s no wonder black poverty remains entrenched, welfare has become a way of life, and that many of my fellow young black male counterparts choose gangsta life over college.

But it wasn’t until college that I realized I had been ensnared in what John McWhorter calls the “Cult of Victimology.” One of my professor’s pointed me toward a world of literature I’d never been introduced to: Thomas Sowell, John McWhorter, Shelby Steele, Star Parker, Angela McGlowan, Larry Elder, Walter Williams—they obliterated the Leftist foolishness that floods my community.

It was then that my eyes were opened to the truth, a truth that my father was willing to give his life for, a truth that hundreds of thousands of American soldiers have paid the ultimate price to pass on to future generations. And that truth is this: America remains the greatest country that God gave to man.

From the bio at the bottom, it looks as if that prof was at Tallahassee Community College.

35. 2009 July 25 9:49 am
    janzam permalink

Very impressive posts from everyone this morning. There must be some good coffee dripping out there!

JustMary — I was taken with the Booker Washinton quote you managed to find and post. 1911! Wow, and like you said, it is so applicable to the present moment.

I guess that just goes to show you that the same human behavior just gets recycled over and over again, like the garbage in the compost pile!

36. 2009 July 25 9:54 am
    janzam permalink

From my own experience community colleges often have wonderful teachers without the political bias that pulls, like a hang nail, on those at the more prestigious universities.

37. 2009 July 25 10:03 am
    INC permalink

Jan, my kids found some truly great instructors at our local community college.

38. 2009 July 25 10:10 am
    janzam permalink

I agree INC. But the status of bigger universities continues to draw kids to them.

One professor reflects on some of these higher dollar universities as just “expensive baby-sitting factories” for youth as they come out of high school.

39. 2009 July 25 10:24 am

Mark Steyn eviscerates:

By common consent, the most memorable moment of Barack Obama’s otherwise listless press conference on “health care” were his robust remarks on the “racist” incident involving Prof. Henry Louis Gates and the Cambridge police. The latter “acted stupidly,” pronounced the chief of state. The president of the United States may be reluctant to condemn Ayatollah Khamenei or Hugo Chávez or that guy in Honduras without examining all the nuances and footnotes, but sometimes there are outrages so heinous that even the famously nuanced must step up to the plate and speak truth to power. And thank God the leader of the free world had the guts to stand up and speak truth to municipal police sergeant James Crowley.

My emphasis.

40. 2009 July 25 10:35 am
    janzam permalink

I had already read an excerpt on the Steyn piece relating to the Gates incident. But your excerpt, INC, is far better and more clever.

Steyn has a knack for mining the absurd and explaining it ways that emphasize the absurdity.

41. 2009 July 25 10:51 am
    INC permalink

Steyn is the guy who really knows how to speak truth to power!!!

And turn the knife with a smile!

🙂

42. 2009 July 25 12:05 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

But he laughs at his own jokes, it’s a little off-putting to hear him sputter and blast his HA hahah HA HA hahahas, at his own humor.

OF course the jokes are dead on, but youre supposed to deliver them with a straight face.

Even so he is great, and a huge asset to liberty in our country.