The Problem

2009 July 30
by MFG

A calm reasoned analysis

1. 2009 July 30 9:52 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Bob for Senate! Can you imagine him getting into Barbara Boxer’s face?

What are the chances he lives in South Carolina so he can run against Lindsey Graham in the next primary?

2. 2009 July 30 10:02 pm
    MFG permalink

Hey, MP!

Good to see you here, welcome to BJG!

3. 2009 July 30 10:14 pm
    janzam permalink

Congressional officials say the government plans to suspend the popular “cash for clunkers” program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for new car purchases.

The Transportation Department called congressional offices late Thursday to alert them to the decision to halt the program, which offered owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

Hmm. So the program ran through the money faster than they thought. I wonder how their healthcare plan will work out? . . .

H/T Instapundit

4. 2009 July 30 10:19 pm
    mpthompson permalink

MFG, yeah I took 9 month vacation from politics. However, it just isn’t in my nature to stay away from it so here I am.

BTW, I can’t bear to go back to PP. The last time I posted there was the day after the election. I’ve accidentally hit my browser link to it once or twice in the last six months, but it looks to now be a barren wasteland. Too bad. However, BJG looks pretty cool so I’ll likely be sticking around a while.

5. 2009 July 30 10:28 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Fast forward 12 years:

Congressional officials say the government plans to suspend the popular “cash for elders” program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for euthanasia.

The Health Department called congressional offices late Thursday to alert them to the decision to halt the program, which offered families of the elderly $3,500 or $4,500 towards funeral and other expenses associated with disposing of an elderly family member.

6. 2009 July 30 10:29 pm
    janzam permalink

mp

It’s nice to see you here. I was wondering what had happened to you after the election. It seems people were sort of blown away initially by the reality of it all. And now, they continue to be blown away by the absurdity of having such a leftist president at the helm of this country.

These are amazing times!

7. 2009 July 30 10:30 pm
    MFG permalink

Good to have you here, shame that Poli basically committed suisite, but it is what it is

8. 2009 July 30 10:32 pm
    janzam permalink

Take a look at the first video on the Wizbanb blog, featuring Paul Krugman having a lesson from Canadians. It’s priceless! Link

9. 2009 July 30 10:33 pm
    janzam permalink

btw, mp, nice avatar!

10. 2009 July 31 4:55 am
    phineas gage permalink

I just checked in at PP–they have an entirely new WordPress format.

Not that it is going to help. The problem is not format, it is content.

11. 2009 July 31 5:25 am

I had a rugby coach like this guy Bob. Give ya the shirt off his back. But on the rugby field he was a freaking animal….

12. 2009 July 31 5:41 am

Jan,

I am truly puzzled. How can the C4C program be ‘out of cash’ when you read articles like this —

But dealers reported problems with the government’s online system to get the transactions approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is running the program.

Scott Lambert, vice president of the Minnesota Auto Dealers Association, said he was “astounded” to learn at a meeting Tuesday representing about 150 Minnesota dealers that not one has had a deal approved.

“We had dealers representing 1,500 to 2,000 transactions,” he said. “We asked how many had a deal approved yet, and not one hand went up.”

Here’s the article Nor is it the only one. I have ran across 2 other pieces saying the samething.

So how can you run out of something if you haven’t even disbursed the first check back to a dealer? Then I read elsewhere that the Cars.gov site up the qualifying MPG a notch or two bumping out some people. Finally what are the rules for the clunker itself? An older model SUV still in serviceable condition; can the dealer resell it? If he can then what was accomplished?

And the govt wants to run healthcare. What a cluster f@#$.

13. 2009 July 31 10:35 am

mpthompson…WELCOME!

“I took 9 month vacation from politics”

I hope you enjoyed it…cause we’ve got work to do! 👿

cheers,