“Honor The Vision Of Your Founders”

2009 August 7

Yesterday Michael Warren from NRO reported that message of Daniel Hannan from he spoke at the Heritage Foundation.

Today Iain Murray linked to a blog post of Hannan’s:

Their country was founded on a series of premises: that concentrated power corrupts; that jurisdiction should be dispersed; that decision-makers should be accountable; that taxes should not be raised save by elected representatives, nor laws passed without popular consent…

Warren also wrote regarding Hannan’s speech:

Despite the many challenges facing conservatives in the West, he remains optimistic. “What’s done can be undone,” Hannan said, though he warned that the process would be painful and difficult. Hannan noted that public opinion in many European countries is opposed to the EU’s Lisbon Treaty. “The mass of sensible people is the greatest ally to conservatives,” he said.

And that mass of sensible people, Victor Davis Hanson writes, has Prairie-Fire Anger.

There is a cascading anger at a new sort of left-wing elitism and hypocrisy as well, one that feeds the rhetoric of class warfare. The rules of the game simply do not apply to this bunch of wannabe Platonic Guardians….

…One of the worst flaws of this species of utopian technocrat is the notion that he wishes to curtail in others the very things he wishes to enjoy without constraint himself.

Thus we sense that a Geithner does not wish to pay the taxes he hikes on others. A Holder wants to destroy through subpoena and litigation the Bush lawyers, but pleaded once for mercy for his own shenanigans involving the crooked Clinton pardons. And Obama lectures about the inequality of wealth and the burdens of racism while his wife’s salary climbed as his political influence grew. Meanwhile his own rarified tastes translated into a shady transaction with Tony Rezco to help to score a stately home and expansive yard—while attending a Trinity Church that radiated racial venom from a charlatan preacher who ended up in a mansion on a golf course.

Hanson concludes that even he:

…underestimated the righteous anger of those who are daily deprecated by a utopian class—one that has neither the ability nor the fortitude to achieve what it now wishes to undo in others.

From the Heritage Foundation:

In the Green Room: MEP Daniel Hannan

Putting the Government in Charge: Why America Should Avoid Europe’s Mistakes

If you don’t remember who Daniel Hannan is, watch this.

UPDATE: Iain Murray has some comments from Jim Bennett Re:  The Role of Jefferson with Bennett’s thoughts on John Adams, Hamilton and Franklin.
__________
H/T: NRO’s The Corner, Daniel Hannan’s Telegraph blog, Heritage Foundation, Pajamas Media

(Incidentally, I agree with the comments regarding John Adams.  He’s the man!).

Crossposted in a modified format to J’s Cafe Nette.

1. 2009 August 7 1:39 pm
    wildernesstea permalink

Daniel Hannan is a true libertarian and conservative. There is hardly one in the entire U.S. political system.
    Even Wyoming’s Enzi is a “gang member” working for universal health and government program.

2. 2009 August 7 1:47 pm
    chekote permalink

I love Daniel Hannan. I wish we had someone like him to make our case. Very effective.

3. 2009 August 7 2:23 pm
    phineas gage permalink

But we do, Chekote. We elected Mr. Smooth-talker president.

You should be elated. Your wish has come true.

4. 2009 August 7 2:45 pm

Link. Yeah its an incident between an anti-healthcare person and some SEIU goons. But it might as well be a union organizing event should card check pass.

5. 2009 August 7 2:52 pm
    INC permalink

Dr, Dog, Gladney, the guy who was attacked was there with a friend who is an attorney.

Eye Witness to St. Louis Scuffle: ‘SEIU Representative Punched Him In the Face.’ (Updated w Gladney Quotes)

I just got off the phone with David Brown, a friend of Gladney’s who was an eye-witness to the event. A St. Louis attorney, he plans to represent Gladney in civil action against the SEIU members he claims assaulted him. Brown confirms that the video above is of the fight in question….

Gladney appeared on Neill Cavuto’s show today, with David Brown. Some reports have called him a conservative activist, but both Brown and Gladney said he’s not. Gladney, who is currently unemployed, was at the event to sell buttons and “Don’t Tread on Me” flags to attendees.

6. 2009 August 7 3:03 pm

More from Hot Air:

Video: Protester beaten by union goons at town hall speaks; Update: SEIU releases attack ad against “teabaggers”

The top video is of Cavuto’s show I mentioned above. AP also says:

Be sure to read the boss’s post about some of the pleasantries that were exchanged this afternoon on Sebelius’s conference call with SEIU. Hint: It involves a cabinet officer of the United States government sitting silently by while a union capo accuses protesters of “terrorist tactics.”

7. 2009 August 7 3:12 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Fighting time. I’m going to enlist as a bodyguard for anyone who wants protection at these events.

Watching this kind of crap makes you want to fight.

Brownshirt thugs, all of them. There is only one thing to do with these people.

8. 2009 August 7 3:14 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

This was a huge tactical error by the union thugs. The people outside the town hall had been effectively locked out, and the last thing you want to do is start a fight, literally attack, a group that:

1 outnumbers you 20:1
    2 is already pissed off to start with.

9. 2009 August 7 3:22 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I say they tested this with a dummy of same approximate weight. Still would scare the crap out of me to try it though. Note the 200 foot or so flight distance and tiny landing area.

Man.

10. 2009 August 7 3:23 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Hotair posted the original link. Must be nice to have all day to sit around and click the web.

11. 2009 August 7 4:13 pm
    INC permalink

RWY, I don’t know if you mean me or Allahpundit, but I’ve felt pretty bad most of the day. This is one of the few things I can do at the moment.

12. 2009 August 7 4:30 pm

RWY, I don’t know if you mean me or Allahpundit,

No, I meant staff at Hotair. I wouldn’t be like that… not to you, for sure, anyway… 🙂

Hey they have a job, no worries. I am just never first to find this stuff, that’s all. 😀

13. 2009 August 7 4:32 pm
    INC permalink

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

Allahpundit said once that MM was very generous. I admit I felt a real pang at that and wondered how I could get a job working for her!

14. 2009 August 7 4:33 pm
    INC permalink

There’s so much stuff coming out at the moment on the town halls that you’re bound to find something first.

It’s been an absolute avalanche of information and opinion.

15. 2009 August 7 4:37 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I am not and have never been fussy about people’s jobs. I never ask people “And what do you do?” when I meet them, because frankly I don’t care. Jobs are fine, you do them for money or for passion depending on many factors.

I am more interested in what kind of people people are, than in what jobs they do.

And hey, in this economy, there is even less room for pride. I would clean bathrooms if that’s what it took to feed my family.

Heck, these days, you can’t even get those jobs. 6 months ago an old work acquaintance of mine, a degreed professional, told me he had swallowed his pride and in desperation, applied for a $10/hour job as a nursery/greenhouse worker.

No luck, someone else got the job.

No room for pride/arrogance/looking down your nose at jobs, money, food, or others in times like this. This is survival time.

16. 2009 August 7 4:41 pm
    INC permalink

I am more interested in what kind of people people are, than in what jobs they do….

Thanks, Yahoo. Great words and true.

17. 2009 August 7 4:43 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

You’d be very successful there too, I bet. You and she are a much better fit than she and Allah, certainly.

I love being generous, I wish I could afford to have a staff and pay them all like kings. I am like Rush in that regard, as long as I got good effort from people the sky’s the limit. I’d pay clerical 150k/year if I could afford to, and they were the best.

I used to tick off my father in law with my extravagant tips at restaurants. He always thought I was trying to show off.

That was never the point. These girls don’t make much and depend on tips to live. Since my wonderful personality ( 😀 ) can’t pay their bills, I have to tip them well when they make an effort.

I love to be rewarded for working hard. I know others do too. So, sometimes you have to pony up.

18. 2009 August 7 4:49 pm
    INC permalink

Yahoo, you have a good heart!

19. 2009 August 7 4:51 pm

Can’t prove it, but I think the super-slide vid is faked. Oh something flew thru the air and landed in the ‘pond’. But at the end did you notice how shallow the dang thing is? Diving off a 4′ board you will end up 6-8′ deep. So I think its a dummy thats flying and the guy in the other end of the then just stands up out of the water.

20. 2009 August 7 4:55 pm

I usually make a point of asking what people do. The folks that are passionate about it jump at the chance to say what they do and are usually one heck of a lot more interesting. It can be as interesting talking to a waitress as it is a CEO. Especially if the waitress is all ears and she works at ‘the’ watering hole for the town. 🙂

21. 2009 August 7 4:55 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

That makes sense. Too dangerous to really actually try it…. I mean, you get a nasty crosswind at the wrong time and thunk! ..

I would do it like that, if I was jumping into a 100 foot lake of 10′ depth.

But that tiny pool? That’s like a bugs bunny cartoon…

22. 2009 August 7 4:57 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Politician: …and furthermore, health care reform is for your own good.
    Crowd: Go to hell!
    Politician: I wont stand to be talked to that way.
    Crowd: Don’t you like end of life counseling?

23. 2009 August 7 4:59 pm

MPT — That’s perfect!

24. 2009 August 7 5:00 pm

I could have thought of one other ending:

Crowd: Don’t worry, come 2010 it won’t be a problem.

25. 2009 August 7 5:02 pm
    INC permalink

mpt, funny!! I literally did lol!

26. 2009 August 7 5:06 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

That’s fine. I think if people love what they do, you don’t have to ask, they will cheerfully yell it into your face.

If they don’t love what they do, I’d rather not know, most likely.

I remember meeting some of my parents’ church friends. Nice family, cute kids. The woman played the piano impressively well, and I enjoyed listening to that, and so we sat down to lunch with them, and she introduced herself in a way that disaffected me. It really annoyed me. Anyway I got an attitude right away and stared at the table while I could feel her staring at me. I busily ignored her, getting more and more irritated. I grabbed a kid’s menu and began to color it…

So finally, she called me by name and said “what do you do?”….. I paused, waited, looked up at her, glared for a split second and told her. She got the message and clammed up.

I nearly said “I smuggle guns and women to drug cartels in Mexico… why, what do you do?”

but, I didn’t. But that woman has always annoyed me. Nosy and petty, always starting things.

27. 2009 August 7 5:11 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Thanks guys, I derived it from a comment I read somewhere earlier today where a politician was complaining he thought he heard a threat against his life from the crowd and someone suggested it wasn’t a threat, just end of life counseling.

Regarding the slide video, it must be faked. Similar to the following video:

Extreme Enough For You?

28. 2009 August 7 5:16 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

They really don’t get it, do they? They really don’t. That’s funny and sad at the same time.

I suppose when they tell us to eat grass, they will really be trying to help, too.

I suppose when we drive them to the guillotine, they will plead for an explanation of what they did wrong.

29. 2009 August 7 5:23 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I don’t know, dood. I see his arms and legs going into a half-spread/crouch during flight.

If you land on your back, you won’t sink very far. He was going 60mph thru the air though.

Very dangerous…

30. 2009 August 7 5:24 pm
    mpthompson permalink

RWY, you shock me. A guillotine? How sophisticated. I always thought of you as a tree and rope kind of guy.

31. 2009 August 7 5:27 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Well, I think guillotines are too barbaric. Observers have stated the heads live for up to 20 seconds.

Needless amounts of gore, too.

If I was to be executed, I’d choose a firing squad, and no blindfold. A properly conducted hanging is fairly humane, but things can go wrong.

32. 2009 August 7 5:30 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Palin says Obama’s healthcare plan is “evil” and would require “death panels” LINK

33. 2009 August 7 5:30 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

And I’d request a minimum 30 caliber bullet too. I don’t want to sag to my knees and bleed out, I’d rather get a hole in the 10 ring and be off to see God in a split second.

Someday when I am executed by government forces (/mellodrama, lol) I’ll yell what Breaker Morant yelled at the Brit soldiers about to shoot him:

“Shoot straight you b*stards! Don’t make a mess of it!”

34. 2009 August 7 5:35 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

here’s how I would like to go, but without the silly handholding, heh.

35. 2009 August 7 6:11 pm

Impalement stake – they will get the point, if you know what I mean.

36. 2009 August 7 6:16 pm
    chekote permalink

But we do, Chekote. We elected Mr. Smooth-talker president.

Obama is not a smooth talker. He is a great reader. Hannan understands the issues. He is informed and articulate. He knows why he believes what he does. He is not just reading cliques and platitudes.

37. 2009 August 7 6:19 pm
    chekote permalink

Palin says Obama’s healthcare plan is “evil” and would require “death panels”

Over the top. We don’t need a polarizing figure like her to get into the mix.

38. 2009 August 7 6:28 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

dems are finding out that rabbit hunting is no fun when the rabbits shoot back.

39. 2009 August 7 6:29 pm
    INC permalink

chekote, here are Peter Fleckenstein tweets on the bill as he read it. He put them all into one blog post. These are just a few excerpts.

The HC Monstrosity-All 1,018 Pages

PG 801 Sec 1751 The Govt will decide which Health care conditions will be paid. Say RATION!

Pg 770 SEC 1714 Fed Govt mandates eligibility 4 State Family Planning Svcs. Say abortion & State Sovereign.

Pg 769 3-5 Nurse Home Visit Svcs – “increasing birth intervals btwn pregnancies.” Govt ABORTIONS any1?

Pg 735 lines 16-25 For law enforce. purposes the Secretary-HHS will give Atty General access to ALL data.

Pg 354 Sec 1177 – Govt will RESTRICT enrollment of Special needs ppl! WTF. My sis has down syndrome!!

Pg 170 Lines 1-3 HC Bill Any NONRESIDENT Alien is exempt from indiv. taxes. (Americans will pay)

Pg 167 Lines 18-23 ANY individual who doesnt have acceptable HC accrdng 2 Govt will be taxed 2.5% of inc.

This bill is evil. No two ways about it.

40. 2009 August 7 6:31 pm

41. 2009 August 7 6:33 pm

“says Obama’s healthcare plan is “evil” and would require “death panels””

… and you all know what the means….

Chek – Yawn. Next.

RWY – You are correct they really don’t get it, if it was a movie it might be funny sadly it’s not.

42. 2009 August 7 6:34 pm

RP – Nice way of putting it. 😉

43. 2009 August 7 6:39 pm

Prejean looking as good as ever at this liberty rally in San Diego.

44. 2009 August 7 6:39 pm
    INC permalink

RP, you and KH reminded me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoon–Kill the Wabbit!

mpt needs to go some photoshop!

45. 2009 August 7 6:56 pm

I’m sure there must be some great cartoons calling out the hypocrisy that have come out this week… or will be soon.

46. 2009 August 7 7:06 pm

Photoshop yard signs.

I really like the third one down.

47. 2009 August 7 7:08 pm

one term… oh man I love that one.

48. 2009 August 7 7:13 pm

Here’s the full Palin quote:

“The Democrats promise that a government health care system will reduce the cost of health care, but as the economist Thomas Sowell has pointed out, government health care will not reduce the cost; it will simply refuse to pay the cost. And who will suffer the most when they ration care? The sick, the elderly, and the disabled, of course. The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s ‘death panel’ so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their ‘level of productivity in society,’ whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil.”

Nothing wrong with it, exactly right and not over the top at all, but literally true.

49. 2009 August 7 7:14 pm
    INC permalink

One of the biggest differences I’ve noticed between the Left and the Right is a sense of humor.

The Right always seems to retain some ability to poke fun at themselves and to cleverly satirize the opposition without being heavy-handed and vicious.

50. 2009 August 7 10:40 pm

just got back…been out all day looking for Obama’s birth certificate! no luck. 🙁

the volume and rhetoric and physical action from the Left has ratcheted up just in the last 24 hours. and having Obama tell all those who disagree with him to “shut up” was so nice to come back to!

The Dems are going ALL IN on ObamaCare. We need to as well!

51. 2009 August 7 10:56 pm

I know it’s late on the “mainland”…where I’m not. 🙂

so my closing comments:
    Wake up your friends, family and co-workers! We and they FIGHT NOW or the chains of our enslavement will be forged within months!

FIGHT, dammit, FIGHT! Go to EVERY “TownHall”, call EVERY Congress Critter, and make your voice heard!!!!

It’s voices now, or something much worse soon!

52. 2009 August 10 2:56 pm
    INC permalink

I added an update to the post for all of the history folks. It’s a link to more thoughts on Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton and Franklin.

53. 2009 August 10 4:17 pm
    INC permalink

NewsBusters has a transcript posted of the Glenn Beck interview of Daniel Hannan.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. J’s Cafe Nette » “Honor The Vision Of Your Founders”