Congress Orders 3 New Luxury Jets: $200 Million

2009 August 5

Many middle class Americans are unemployed and looking for work. Millions of others are eliminating vacations, ordering off fast food dollar menus and worrying about losing their jobs and their homes. A compassionate Congress is showing its concern by ordering three luxury jets worth $200 million.

Last year, lawmakers excoriated the CEOs of the Big Three automakers for traveling to Washington, D.C., by private jet to attend a hearing about a possible bailout of their companies.

But apparently Congress is not philosophically averse to private air travel: At the end of July, the House approved nearly $200 million for the Air Force to buy three elite Gulfstream jets for ferrying top government officials and Members of Congress.

The Air Force had asked for one Gulfstream 550 jet (price tag: about $65 million) as part of an ongoing upgrade of its passenger air service.

But the House Appropriations Committee, at its own initiative, added to the 2010 Defense appropriations bill another $132 million for two more airplanes and specified that they be assigned to the D.C.-area units that carry Members of Congress, military brass and top government officials.

Because the Appropriations Committee viewed the additional aircraft as an expansion of an existing Defense Department program, it did not treat the money for two more planes as an earmark, and the legislation does not disclose which Member had requested the additional money.

An Appropriations Committee staffer said the military was already planning to replace its passenger fleet, and the committee “looked at the request and decided they should speed up the replacement.”

The Gulfstream G550 is a luxury business jet, which the company advertises as featuring long-range flight capacity that “easily links Washington, D.C., with Dubai, London with Singapore and Tokyo with Paris.” The company’s promotional materials say, “The cabin aboard the G550 combines productivity with exceptional comfort. It features up to four distinct living areas, three temperature zones, a choice of 12 floor plan configurations with seating for up to 18 passengers.”

Here’s the complete article from Roll Call.

We have no one else to blame. We elected these idiots.

nancy-pelosi.jpg Nancy image by rmikkels

“Did someone say idiot?”

1. 2009 August 5 4:09 pm
    wildernesstea permalink

At what point do Obama and Democrat supporters step back and ask:

1. Why hasn’t a health care bill been passed anywhere?
    2. Why haven’t our troops come home yet?
    3. Has the budget for defense been cut? What about the budget for overseas wars, has that been cut?

Because they have had Congress since January 2007. That’s over 2 1/2 years. That’s 38 months or so.

Bush (that good old boogie man) has been gone for 8 months. Still no bills on any of that stuff. Not even a vote!

Today the Democrats are now blaming Tea Party protestors for holding up the bill. At what point do these stupid liberal auto-Democrat voters start wondering?

2. 2009 August 5 4:14 pm

Those planes are almost as big as Yahoo’s Crown Vic … just not as fast.

3. 2009 August 5 4:19 pm
    INC permalink

I saw someone take as an average price of a flight $500 and divide that into the cost of these planes and figure out the number of trips that would have paid for if Congress could be bothered to fly commercial.

People have also pointed out the cut Congress made to the F-22.

Where’s Blakeney to point out the folly of these aristos?

4. 2009 August 5 4:27 pm

bc3b

Those planes are almost as big as Yahoo’s Crown Vic … just not as fast.

Lets see, if I took a 100 chickens and threw them in the direction of the fanjets of these new acquisitions, I think I could bring them down. If I then took the same number of chickens and threw them at Yahoo’s CrownVic he might have to replace a windshield. But Yahoo would keep on driving.

Where’s some chickens…

5. 2009 August 5 4:32 pm

Oh here is the interior of one of these puppies….

Nancy Pelosi’s update to the Marie Antoinette’s plum? — “Let them eat jet fuel.”

6. 2009 August 5 4:33 pm
    phineas gage permalink

‘Bush (that good old boogie man) has been gone for 8 months’

When I was three years old and my sister four, we were given for Christmas a big inflatable Bozo the Clown, the type that you hit and it comes right back up again. We promptly showered so much abuse upon Bozo that he began losing air within minutes and was soon as flat as a pancake, utterly useless.

The marxist and the Dems have had months to use Bush as their punching bag. At what point does that start wearing out? To my mind it is starting to look like a flattened Bozo to the American people.

7. 2009 August 5 4:37 pm
    phineas gage permalink

Maybe they run on cupcakes.

Or perhaps they were acquired on the Cash-for-Clunkers program.

Or perhaps specially reinforced aircraft were needed to ferry the first lady’s rear end about.

8. 2009 August 5 4:47 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

This conduct is immoral, and disqualifies them for office. They are worse than spoiled children.

Tar and feathers, please…

9. 2009 August 5 4:53 pm

This proves that Sarah Palin is unfit for any national office because she sold the state’s jet.

10. 2009 August 5 4:57 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

heh. Rs sell their planes to save the peeps their money. Dems buy them.

Good advert.

11. 2009 August 5 5:03 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Every once in a while a Republican (Yes I said Republican) will do something that makes me proud of my party. This time its Michael Steele.

LINKY

H/T HA

12. 2009 August 5 5:06 pm

Yesterday “Krazy Keith” was bashing BOR and tonight O’Reilly attacked GE in his opening memo so whatever truce that may have been brokered is over.

13. 2009 August 5 5:17 pm
    phineas gage permalink

Note the <A href=”http://theconservatives.com/blog/2009/aug/05/study-contrast/” contrast

14. 2009 August 5 5:18 pm
    phineas gage permalink

Ouch, let me try it again.

Note the contrast

15. 2009 August 5 5:22 pm

Obama job approval 42-51 ne4gative among likely Virginia voters.

16. 2009 August 5 5:22 pm
    beej permalink

Today has been very hard on my blood pressure, and frankly, my sanity.

It can’t be known who put in the order for these planes…but give them a state secret and they’ll stumble over themselves to be the first to leak it. Transparency my foot.

Someone somewhere today was saying HC costs are out of hand because ‘we’ don’t feel the pinch in the pocket when we go to the doctor’s office…(from personal experience I’d say that’s not so…) but I think we’d be way ahead in the federal deficit if those that spend it felt the ‘pinch.’ How DARE they be so frivolous with tax money…especially at a time like this!! Four months ago, it was such a crisis, nothing had been seen like this since THE GREAT DEPRESSION.

And NOW they can spend 2 million of our hard earned money which they don’t have anyway…for their ease?????? for their convenience? Instead of jetting around the country in fancy pants jets, it would behoove them to sit down and read the bills they are trying to enact. And live the way their constituents live. Fly coach, with your knees under your chin if you have any length in your legs like the rest of us.

I have had it up to here. I’m sure I must be living in the bad side of a parallel universe…I can’t believe that people are telling me straight to my face that what I am seeing isn’t really what I am seeing, that what I hear isn’t really what I’m hearing…as my mother used to say, I was born in the dark, but it wasn’t last night. I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck.

17. 2009 August 5 5:25 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

The country is on fire, and these @#$%^&*()_)( are buying themselves airplanes with our money….

18. 2009 August 5 5:53 pm
    janzam permalink

I agree that Steele made a good move on this one. Thanks for the link(y), Tony!

19. 2009 August 5 5:56 pm
    janzam permalink

The politicians are in their la la land of absolute power. I truly think they think that nothing can touch them.

What a wonderful turn of events if they are proven wrong by the very people they are trying to bamboozle!

20. 2009 August 5 6:20 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Yes, Steele finally shows some fight, and some stones. More, and a lot more, please.

21. 2009 August 5 8:23 pm

beej

Today has been very hard on my blood pressure, and frankly, my sanity.

Probably the only saving grace of being on a Levonox regimen. Though the shots are a pain in the butt.