Democrat Senators Call For Halt On Cap-And-Trade Bill This Year

2009 August 14

Via RedState, in this news column:

Climate Change Measure Should Be Set Aside, U.S. Senators Say

Bloomberg reports that Blanche  Lincoln (AR-D), Ben Nelson (NE-D), Kent Conrad (ND-D) and Byron Dorgan (ND-D) are calling for a halt this year on cap-and-trade and are advocating working solely on a renewable energy bill.

Lincoln and Dorgan are both on the U. S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.

Harry Reid had this to say on August 11th:

“I don’t think we are going to take to the Senate floor a bill stripped of climate provisions.”

Other tensions regarding cap-and-trade:

The Senate remains under pressure to pass a cap-and-trade bill because failure to act would leave regulation in the hands of the Environmental Protection Agency, which has asserted its right to do so under the Clean Air Act, said Kevin Book, a Washington analyst with Clearview Energy Partners, an energy consulting firm. Senate action to head off the EPA is the most likely outcome, he said.

“The second school of thought holds that Senate progress towards climate change legislation is already irretrievably mired in parochial conflicts,” Book said in an Aug. 12 memo to clients. That may lead the Senate to pass stand-alone energy legislation as a way to “achieve climate change objectives without a cap-and-trade program.”

Ed Morrissey at Hot Air comments:

Waxman-Markey will split the Democratic caucus in the Senate along both ideological and regional lines.

He also points out what conservatives realize–this isn’t about energy (my emphasis):

The goal has been to have government seize control of the means of production in industry, and energy is the core industry to control in that regard. That’s why this move among these Democratic Senators will be as welcome as a tax audit to Waxman-Markey supporters. Unfortunately for them, the radical nature of ObamaCare has exposed the radical approach of this administration and Congressional leadership, which means that they’re unlikely to win any of the Democrats back from that position — and now can’t count on any Republican support at all.

And in international news: Watts Up With That? earlier this week posted:
Australia Rejects Climate Cap-and-Trade Bill —
Senators voted 42 to 30 against it: “It is a dog of a plan”

__________
H/T: TobyToons, used by permission, RedState, Bloomberg, Hot Air, Watts Up With That?

1. 2009 August 14 11:17 am

I used to think the whole Global Warming thing was fake…but then SENATOR Debbie Stabenow produced “conclusive evidence” of it the other day! She indicated she: “FEELS it when she flies!!

Thx, Michigan!

2. 2009 August 14 11:21 am
    INC permalink

That is one of the most awesomely ridiculous statements I have ever heard from a politician.

3. 2009 August 14 11:32 am

INC, I agree. In its own way it was kind of, well, splendid. It had a purity of stupidity, completely absent of any pretext of cognitive reasoning that was, as you said, AWESOME!!

4. 2009 August 14 12:17 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Obama visiting Montana (Billings) TODAY

It looks like he stacked the deck with supporters. Nothing new there; that’s what Alinksy trained him to do. This first paragraph tells you everything you need to know:

BELGRADE _ Hundreds of demonstrators – and more than 1,000 ticket-holders – gathered early today at the Gallatin Field Airport here, waiting for President Barack Obama to arrive for a town-hall meeting on health-care reform.

I didn’t get an invite. Now I’m thinking I should have snitched on one of you guys. Or is it one of you guys should have snitched on me? Either way, one of us would’ve gotten an invite.

5. 2009 August 14 12:18 pm

Kind of like the Emperor has no brains….

There are two big problems running against Obama now and both involve timing.

1) The HC revolt has if nothing else put the ram rod approach on the back burner. I believe the revolt also kills the nuclear option in reconciliation. The reason being is that now the CongressCritters need the cover of deliberation to cover their nether regions if they vote for anything between now and end of session. Especially with a midterm election 14mos away. They know it too.

2) At some point Congress has to take up next years budget. That becomes reasonably all consuming. So if anything of Obammay’s agenda passes it has to be complete before end of Oct. After that its into next year.

A pictorial of the Obammy agenda — http://www.daphnacreek.com/Lohrfarm06/DaphnaTrainwreck080big.jpg

6. 2009 August 14 12:24 pm
    conservativetony permalink

7. 2009 August 14 12:27 pm
    INC permalink

Health care following Porkulus and the auto takeover has worked against Obama & the Dems. The first two were cold water in the face of the public. The last has been like an electric shock.

When I saw that article last night about the server melt-down, it was the first time I remember hearing that the House was overloaded by emails about the Stimulus bill. They should have paid attention to that.

I think & I hope you’re right, Dr. Dog!

8. 2009 August 14 12:41 pm

Me too 🙂

9. 2009 August 14 12:49 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Bresnan Communications was out of service (SW Montana) for most of the night because of a “power failure”. I’m not sure exactly what lost power.

Hmm, WH email server being bombarded with angry emails, AND Obama was due in the area the next morning. Coincidence?

Incidentally, their email servers were still down at 9AM this morning. Hmmm.

10. 2009 August 14 2:24 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Sorry, I won’t be able to report from the SF Tea Party this afternoon. I got sidelined by a sudden death in my in-laws family and had to be home with the kidlets so my wife could leave town. Oh well. I was looking forward to it, but life has a way of happening and it wasn’t meant to be.

11. 2009 August 14 2:26 pm
    INC permalink

I’m sorry to hear that, mpt.

12. 2009 August 14 2:38 pm

🙁 Praying for your family.

13. 2009 August 14 2:51 pm

mpt…I also am sorry to hear of the loss within your extended family. We’ll have lots of TeaParty chances! 🙂

14. 2009 August 14 3:12 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Thank you. The matriarch of my wife’s family died in her late ’90s. She led an incredible life. The youngest in a family of 19, she came to America from El Salvador during WWII and worked as “Rosie the Riveter” in the liberty shipyards of Sausalito before lifelong work as a seamstress for Levi Strauss. She lived the American dream of owning her own home, raising her family and getting to know her great-grand children. She will be missed.

15. 2009 August 14 3:30 pm
    mpthompson permalink

I’ve now got three days alone with our two preteens. I wonder what the chance is of getting them to read “Liberty and Tyranny”. Gotta get’em before the school system does.

BTW, is it bad that a 10 year old knows who I’m talking about when I mention “Captain BullShit”? My wife get’s mad at me, between giggles, and tells me I should tone it down and call him “Captain Baloney” in front of the kids.

16. 2009 August 14 3:55 pm

ya but, “Captain Baloney”, sounds like an insult to Oscar Meyer!

17. 2009 August 14 3:57 pm
    mpthompson permalink

And the other one isn’t an insult to the beef industry?

18. 2009 August 14 4:03 pm

America’s baloney has a first name, it’s O-B-A-M-A

19. 2009 August 14 4:24 pm

now I have that SONG in my head!!! Quick, Robin, to the WeinerMobile!