Ex-Soldiers Already Told They’re a Burden; Consider “Choices”

2009 August 20

It appears that the VA islaready appraising ex-soldiers that they are a burden to society and should consider the alternatives, according to a WSJ column.

Your Life, Your Choices” presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political “push poll.” For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be “not worth living.”

The circumstances listed include ones common among the elderly and disabled: living in a nursing home, being in a wheelchair and not being able to “shake the blues.” There is a section which provocatively asks, “Have you ever heard anyone say, ‘If I’m a vegetable, pull the plug’?” There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as “I can no longer contribute to my family’s well being,” “I am a severe financial burden on my family” and that the vet’s situation “causes severe emotional burden for my family.”

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?

One can only imagine a soldier surviving the war in Iraq and returning without all of his limbs only to encounter a veteran’s health-care system that seems intent on his surrender.

Here’s the full column.

Why would someone like Sarah Palin scare Americans with divisive talk about “death panels,” drawing fire from the left and “conservatives” like National Review’s Rich Lowry?

Hat tip: The Wall Street Journal

1. 2009 August 20 9:28 am

Scuse me while I scrape my jaw off the floor.

2. 2009 August 20 10:05 am
    mpthompson permalink

JM, I agree.

Unfortunately, I’ve not been a regular reader of the WSJ or any other paper for quite a while. However, this year I’ve been paying much more attention to it just to help me better manage my own finances. Therefore, I may be uninformed in making this statement, but has the WSJ always at least done a good job at representing conservative perspectives on social and economic issues? My hats off to a MSM newspaper that dares to print to such provocative editorials — and their straight reporting is pretty good too.

3. 2009 August 20 10:32 am
    janzam permalink

…an astonishing column.

When did we get to even thinking about governoring another’s time of death, let alone putting such recommendations in a VA pamphlet?

4. 2009 August 20 10:58 am
    MFG permalink

%^^&%(%%*&(&!!!!^&*^&*&^&^*)*!

!!*&*(^(^(*)^*^^^&%$%^$%^$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry for the above, I’m trying very hard to restrain my propensity to vulgarity and this is a substitute)

These people are Nazi filth

5. 2009 August 20 11:01 am
    MFG permalink

I always knew this is where the abortion mentality would lead, I always knew it

Who said freedom is always one generation away from being extinguished? Was it Reagan…???

6. 2009 August 20 11:04 am
    MFG permalink

Filthy bastards

Scum

Nazi filth

People in wheelchairs are NOT defective

Depression is an ILLNESS, not a reason to kill someone

7. 2009 August 20 11:05 am
    INC permalink

This is horrifically awful. How can they do this to our vets? It was started under Clinton, suspended by Bush (not surprised at either action) and now Obama dregs up this evil deed.

MFG, Francis Schaeffer also warned of this decades ago in the late 70s. He connected euthanasia to abortion.

8. 2009 August 20 11:09 am
    MFG permalink

My best friend came back from Vietnam in a wheelchair, is HE defective…???

These kids come back from Iraq, 22 years old, missing an arm and a leg, often the terrible strains cause their marriages to explode, and now they are going to be encouraged TO KILL THEMSELVES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

&*&%)%&^!%&%$%#!@$%@&$@#%T@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 2009 August 20 11:13 am
    INC permalink

I don’t see how a doctor worth his salt could do this.

Obama and the Democrats have no regard for the value and worth of human beings. None at all.

10. 2009 August 20 11:14 am
    janzam permalink

MFG

The dim mentality and moral crassness knows no bounds!

11. 2009 August 20 11:19 am
    janzam permalink

INC

I think many doctors would find such medical decisions directly oppose their Hippocratic Oath.

Others, however, would rationalize getting rid of the infirmed by saying it would ease the load on those leading “productive” lives. Secular people, who don’t believe in Higher Powers, believe “they” are the higher powers and can consequently judge and determine the fate of others.

12. 2009 August 20 11:20 am
    INC permalink

O/T, don’t forget to go back and read the Horowitz series on Alinsky. In the very first one, Horowitz called Alinsky, “the strategy guru of the Obama era”.

I’ve updated David Horowitz On Saul Alinsky to include a link to his post today in the series: Post-modern leftism: Alinsky, Beck, Satan and Me, Part V.

Today Horowitz mentions Alinsky’s social ties to the Capone gang, his misread of communism and the one principle of the Alinsky radical:

…to take power from the so-called Haves and give it to the so-called Have-nots. What this amounts to, we shall see, is a political nihilism…

13. 2009 August 20 11:21 am
    INC permalink

Jan, I thought of the Hippocratic Oath as well.

14. 2009 August 20 11:23 am
    janzam permalink

How can we leave the Obama era behind without being terribly damaged?

Alinsky is akin to the devil…and, he is who Obama is patterning his agenda after? —-> scary stuff!

15. 2009 August 20 11:24 am
    janzam permalink

INC, maybe when they throw the baby out with the bath water, they’ll include the “suds” of the Hippocratic Oath as well!

It’s painful…..

16. 2009 August 20 11:27 am
    INC permalink

Jan, I’ve linked to this before, but if you haven’t read it you should skim it. It’s quite lengthy and was written by Dan McLaughlin last fall before the election.

POLITICS: The Integrity Gap, Part II of III: Sen. Barack Obama

The first post is the intro of this second part in his series.

These are the other posts within Part II. Links to each one over at the first link.

Obama’s Rootless Ambition looks at the influences that shaped Obama before he ran for office.

Obama and the Extremists looks at his relationships with left-wing radicals and how they were an integral part of his rise in politics.

Obama and ACORN looks at his intimate relationship with a network of community organizers with a pervasive record of voter fraud and deep involvement in the subprime housing crisis.

Obama and the Machine looks at Obama’s long, deep and multifacted partnership with machine politicians in Chicago and Springfield.

Obama and the Favor Factory looks at Obama’s routine practice of trading favors with his political benefactors.

Obama, “New Politics” and Principles looks at the illusory nature of Obama’s “new politics,” his absence of a record of fighting tough battles on principle, and wraps up and concludes the series.

17. 2009 August 20 11:28 am
    INC permalink

McLaughlin should have won a Pulitzer for the series and Obama should never have been elected.

(rather than hijack the thread further, although Alinksy thinking is related to the topic, I’ll put further thought on the David Horowitz On Saul Alinsky thread.).

18. 2009 August 20 11:33 am
    aureliusx permalink

Jan, INC, doctors don’t take the hippocratic oath any more. All these liberal elite medical centers write their own “affirmations” now, which are basically liberal screeds with commitments to “social justice”, “peace”, etc.

Wish I were kidding. This is the reality. Sorry.

19. 2009 August 20 11:35 am
    aureliusx permalink

On the bright dies, Obama’s #’s continue to tank. He is in the single digits on the RCP average spread now for the first time (+9% approval-disapproval), and approval hovering at 50% in all polls including those polling 20% GOP.

Make no mistake, this is now an unpopular president.

Fear nothing. Make your voices heard. Increase the volume. Reach out through all your communities.

America has rejected Obama.

20. 2009 August 20 11:37 am
    INC permalink

I didn’t know that. It pays to know who your doctor is and if he would fight for your life.

21. 2009 August 20 11:54 am

Crazy is all I can say.

Saw a segment on FNC last night. IHS, Indian Health Services a required duty entered into by treaty between the indian tribes and the Feds requires medical care. It is a disaster. According to the article the euphemism is ‘don’t sick after june’. The meaning of course is the govt runs out of money by then.

This is govt health care folks.

Sigh….

22. 2009 August 20 12:32 pm

Bush STOPPED this policy…Obama re-started it. Hold that thought…

May 2008…The US Army announced that the soldier suicide rate had reached an all time high in 2007. Candidate Obama said: “Today’s news is a tragic reminder of the staggering and ongoing costs of the Iraq war, particularly on our troops and their families. We are more than five years into this war, and the Pentagon and VA are still unprepared to treat the unseen wounds of battle.

Same guy that was outraged by soldiers killing themselves THEN, wants ex-soldiers to kill themselves NOW.

btw…the hype over the Army’s announcement was all bogus. The reality is that the military has a LOWER suicide rate than the non-military population!!! A fact that somehow didn’t make it into the media.

23. 2009 August 20 1:43 pm
    aureliusx permalink

JR– you are right, it was false hype designed to make Bush look bad…

but I will say the military rate JUST this year exceeded the civilian rate of suicide.

So there is a problem there for our soldiers, but it is not that they are fighting a war– that is their job.

I think the problem is the barrage of liberal media saying it’s all a waste and a lie– which of course is false, but enough of that and anybody would start to be depressed.

Expect it to get worse… with a marxist president actively weakening the country, what’s to fight for?

With that buffoon as my commander in chief, I’d feel pretty hopeless, aimless…

24. 2009 August 20 1:45 pm

With all these “over-the-top” and “divisive” comments, you guys and gals are as bad as Sarah Palin. Don’t you realize that you are supposed to go peacably into the boxcars and to question “The One” is not only treasonous, but also racist?

Next you will be claiming that it makes more sense to drill for oil in the United States than give Brazil several billion to drill in its waters.

Putting the country ahead of Barack Obama? This is embarassing!!!

25. 2009 August 20 1:46 pm
    aureliusx permalink

I wish I were as bad as Sarah…

26. 2009 August 20 1:47 pm
    aureliusx permalink

27. 2009 August 20 1:49 pm
    aureliusx permalink

> civilian

somehow I doubt this would be happening with a supportive or even neutral press and leadership.

28. 2009 August 20 1:52 pm

bc3b: “Putting the country ahead of Barack Obama? This is embarassing!!!

29. 2009 August 20 1:53 pm

aureliusx –

I find it very difficult to believe that (in these polls) 7% to 14% have no opinion. Baracvk Obama is like the Yankees and Cowboys; you either love them or hate them. There’s no in-between.

My guess is that a number of those polled are opposed to Obama but are concerned to say so for fear of being labeled a racist.

30. 2009 August 20 1:55 pm

aureliusx, I hadn’t seen that. Sad.

A fun fact was that when the Iraq in-country death rates were at their lowest, it was safer for an 18-26 male to be serving there than living in the U.S.

Used to drive me nuts to hear them quote the military suicide rate…and leave off the FACT that civilians had a higher one!

31. 2009 August 20 2:11 pm

Of course there was the consideration that up until recently, you were safer in Baghdad than Wash. DC based on comparative murder rates. Don’t how the numbers compare today.

32. 2009 August 20 2:13 pm

Justrand –

“We’re just trying to get one of the all expense paid trip to a Re-Education Camp! We’ll be MUCH happier once we learn to LOVE Big Brother!! This “freedom thing” is icky…and you have to think too much!”

Detroit is beautiful in January and February. Bring your long johns!

33. 2009 August 20 2:19 pm

Washington Post:
    CIA Hired Firm for Assassin Program

the article is written as though this was a BAD thing! I suppose the next article will be an expose’ on the Marine Corps:
    Marine Corps Admits Training Marines to Shoot at People

*sigh*

34. 2009 August 20 2:59 pm

Interesting read on the angst of the Dims.

If this is in case the fact, then this is luscious. Obama will fade, Harry Reid may not be around come next year. That leaves Queen Pelosi to run the show. He being the standard bearer for the Dims for 2 more years would put the Reps in good stead for ’12 if they don’t blow it.

35. 2009 August 20 3:16 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I join MFG in stereophonic cursing…….

36. 2009 August 20 4:23 pm
    aureliusx permalink

testing out some phrases here….

the unpopular Barack Obama…

the increasingly unpopular Barack Obama

the deeply unpopular Barack Obama

Barack Obama, widely considered to to be a failed experiment on the part of the American people

the failed presidency of Barack Obama

Barack Obama, whose incompetence and slick shysterism quickly wore thin…

“man, you really pulled an obama there”

“no sis, I don’t trust that new student. He’s kind of an obama, lol”

“dude, don’t obama the the buffalo wings– that’s a shared platter… ease up, man”

37. 2009 August 20 4:34 pm

Perfect opening line to “The audacity of HYPE”.

38. 2009 August 20 4:41 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

“Arrrrgghhhhhh!……”

“What’s the matter honey? Nightmare?”

“No, even worse! I had the biggest Barack-mare I’ve ever had! I thought I’d never wake up!”

39. 2009 August 20 5:00 pm
    aureliusx permalink

rwy– that one’s too realistic!

40. 2009 August 20 5:03 pm
    aureliusx permalink

I obama’d my algebra test… crap

41. 2009 August 20 5:05 pm
    aureliusx permalink

yeah, Sue’s getting divorced. Her husband did a total Obamamorphosis, had an affair, hit the bottle hard, started doing meth, the same old story

42. 2009 August 20 5:20 pm

“The teleprompter didn’t show up, so HE had to take the test.”

“What’s wrong with Fred?” “He flunked his death panel exam. Now he HAS to stay on government HC another 5 years.”

“Do you want to try it?” “No!” “Let’s see if Obammy would like a portion of HC. Hey Obammy!”

“In all the clinics in all the world, Obama has to show up in my clinic.” — future anonymous doctor, channeling Bogart

“You don’t own me, I’m not just one of your many toys
    You don’t own me, don’t say I can’t go seek other joys

And don’t tell me what to do
    And don’t tell me what to say
    And please, when I go out to play
    Don’t put us on display, ’cause

You don’t own me, don’t try to change me in any way
    You don’t own me, don’t tie me down ’cause I’d never stay

Oh, I don’t tell you what to say
    I don’t tell you what to do
    So just let me be myself
    That’s all I demand from you …”

(with apologies to Lesley Gore)

43. 2009 August 20 5:22 pm
    MFG permalink

WTO?

(What The Obama?)

44. 2009 August 20 5:23 pm
    MFG permalink

OUBAR

Obama’ed up beyond all repair

45. 2009 August 20 5:38 pm