Foreign Policy Roundtable

2009 August 8
by INC

Our old friend EdR from days gone by used to have a saying about liberals befriending terrorists. I can’t remember his exact words, but he really had something there. This is a thread for the latest events in foreign policy.

Babalu Blog and Fausta’s Blog are always good for the latest on Honduras.  (They’re covering health care as well, but put those comments below!).

There are always the latest antics of our SecState:

US may join international war crimes court, Hillary Clinton hints

What about Iran?

Video: John Bolton: Israel will attack Iran by end of 2009

What about Israel?

Obama’s Crusade Against Israel

PJTV: Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) in Israel Criticizes Obama’s Middle East Policy

Russia:

How Russia Defines Genocide Down

Turkey and Russia Conclude Energy Deals

Putin says Russia’s defense orders to rise in 2010
__________

H/T:  Babalu Blog, Fausta’s Blog, Guardian, Pajamas Media, YouTube, New York Times, Reuters

1. 2009 August 8 1:07 pm
    MFG permalink

The Iranian show trials going on now demonstrate just how important it is to have the Second Amendment

Without an armed citizenry, the government is all powerful

Talk, chatting, negotiation, what nonsense

Hiroshima is how you negotiate with people…

2. 2009 August 8 1:09 pm
    INC permalink

You’re right, MFG.

BTW, I’m making this post up as I go along!! 🙂

I’m really busy at home and I don’t have time to get it done and then put it up!

3. 2009 August 8 1:10 pm
    MFG permalink

INC

Who is your icon, is that Molly Pitcher…???

4. 2009 August 8 1:11 pm
    INC permalink

Yes, MFG. That’s her. It’s an old painting. I changed earlier this week. The Precedent has really been making me riled up!

5. 2009 August 8 1:14 pm
    MFG permalink

Go get ’em, Molly!

6. 2009 August 8 1:16 pm
    INC permalink

😀

7. 2009 August 8 1:26 pm

stay frosty, Molly…we need to keep up the rate of fire! 🙂

it’s so easy to get caught worrying about our OWN government here at home that we lose focus on all the OTHER governments that would love to do us harm!

8. 2009 August 8 1:29 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I would love the US to join the ICC.

Then all the military would quit, or at least 75% of it, and we could use these folks back home in our secession movement.

Let the troops come from the hood, let them all obey the UN. Our guys could wallop them if they came sniffing around.

9. 2009 August 8 1:29 pm

Killing someone or attempting to is a pardonable offense. Making a “racist” or politically incorrect statement is permanently unforgivable.

Bashing the country is patriotic, bashing Obama is treasonous.

10. 2009 August 8 1:29 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Justrand, did you see my email?

11. 2009 August 8 1:38 pm
    beej permalink

Ordinarily I disapprove of our officials criticizing the administration or celebs mocking the USA from overseas. But in this instance, I whole heartedly applaud Cantor for his criticism. It is appalling what Obama is doing to Israel.

Shame on those Jews in influential places that don’t care about Israel, that don’t do what they can for her people. (Pointing specifically to Rahm Emanuel and those like him.)

12. 2009 August 8 1:46 pm

It will be really interesting to see the outcome of an Israeli raid on Iran. The Saudi’s will probably permit a strike flyover. [link] Iraq probably would only be mildly miffed if it occurred. I could even see a joint coordinated move by israeli and iraq at the same time. Israeli would probably make a preemptive move on Lebanon while the Iraqis assault the northern Syrian territories which are primarily Kurdish. That pins down Hezbollah. The strike occurs in that interval.

13. 2009 August 8 1:47 pm
    INC permalink

beej, you’re right. If you’re not familiar with Seraphic Secret, you might like that blog. The writer is a conservative Jew who keeps up with news and commentary on Israel. He’s a screenwriter and his blog has a fascinating mix of news, family and Hollywood.

14. 2009 August 8 1:49 pm
    INC permalink

OK, I’m done adding links in the post, folks. I’ve got to run!

15. 2009 August 8 1:49 pm

beej,

Goes to show how immature Obammy is. So long as Israeli had tact cover by the US they had some luxury of moderation on defense. Remove it and they shift rightward militarily with a preemptive strike stance. That raises the tension level, just the opposite of what he expects.

16. 2009 August 8 2:28 pm
    beej permalink

To think they must stand alone…again. I can’t express the grief I feel… and the anger.

17. 2009 August 8 3:30 pm

” John Bolton: Israel will attack Iran by end of 2009″

First time I’ve disagreed with Mr.Bolton in years.

18. 2009 August 8 3:55 pm
    MFG permalink

KH, will they attack?

If so, when?

How can they NOT attack…???

19. 2009 August 8 4:06 pm

rwy…haven’t been able to get into my email account yet. I’ll check it now!

20. 2009 August 8 4:07 pm

actually rwy, I won’t be able to check it until we get back…in about 2 hours. I’ll be able to pull it all down then.

cheers!! 🙂 and aloha!

21. 2009 August 9 2:35 am

KH, will they attack?

Not this year.

“If so, when?” – maybe next spring but I have serious doubts about that too.

“How can they NOT attack…???”
    —-
    Because they are not in a position to actually accomplish all that much with it, beyond a sending a “message”. At absolute best assuming total success they might delay things a year or two, and at the same time give iran pretext for more crap (not that they would wait for it anyway..just saying).

What’s so sad is they are likely to have more assistance from players in the ME for a strike more than any from this administration.

This is not saying that I agree with the non-attack move, it’s just my opinion that it’s not going to materialize primarily due to limited capabilities, ranges involved, payloads involved and very limited but very necessary intel. Far more likely I think they may raise the stakes on the proxy side of things.

22. 2009 August 9 8:23 am
    MFG permalink

Israel needs to attack

Iran with nukes=death of Israel

As Robert E Lee said when his army was finally forced back into the trenches around Petersburg, “Now it is just a matter of time…”

23. 2009 August 9 8:24 am
    MFG permalink

If I’m in charge of Israel I’m not going into the boxcars

I’m going to start blowing **** up