Three CBO Headlines

2009 August 27
tags:
by INC

February 4, 2009:

CBO: Obama stimulus harmful over long haul

February 8, 2009:

CBO Predicts Recession Will End in 2009 Without Stimulus

August 26, 2009:

New CBO projection: 2.3 million more people unemployed next year than expected

__________
H/T: Washington Times, Gateway Pundit, Hot Air.

1. 2009 August 27 7:37 am
    janzam permalink

Anyway you look at it the future looks unsure. Continuing to have those kind of job losses will do nothing to stimulate people’s trust in commerce and thus the economy.

One does wonder sometimes is Obama is really as stupid as he appears about what makes an economy tick and grow…or…is he deliberately driving the economy into the ground, deepening the crisis, so he can more easily legislate government in all gaps created by the recession, rather than private enterprise?????

2. 2009 August 27 8:03 am

He may be stupid, Jan…..but his handlers are not. They know what they are doing, and he just provides the smiley faced front for it. This is intentional. I wish I could remember the exact quote I heard on Beck, but it was something like- if you overload the system with welfare recipients, you will crash the system. They are trying to crash the system, and so they need more people jobless. This is working “as intended”.

3. 2009 August 27 8:07 am
    INC permalink

JM, I agree. When I saw the bottom headline at Hot Air last night I remembered the other two warnings from earlier this year. I had called my Dem senator about those CBO predictions to no avail. I knew that would happen, but I wanted him to know that the Dems were not succeeding in their deception.

4. 2009 August 27 8:19 am
    janzam permalink

JM — I don’t want to believe what you said, but the evidence is too strong pointing in that direction.

Since I don’t have cable, I can’t tune into Beck, except for the video feeds I get on the internet. But the little I hear of him makes so much sense that it is painful to acknowledge!

BTW — good links this morning INC. I wish more people were following the democratic political “cookie crumbs” showing where all this is leading.

5. 2009 August 27 8:33 am

INC == MiniBeck 🙂

6. 2009 August 27 8:38 am

The CBO is part of the vast right-wing conspiracy designed to provide misinformation and confuse the proletariate. It’s only five months until the re-education kamps open in Detroit. Once that happens, you people will realize the truth.

Then you will no longer be mislead by false prophets like the CBO, Glenn Beck, Ruch Limbaugh, Mark Leven, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Jim DeMint and Michelle Malkin who are bearing false witness against our Dear Leader.

7. 2009 August 27 8:42 am
    janzam permalink

Today’s Rasmussen has Obama’s Presidential Approval Index continuing at -8.

Another interesting poll in Rasmussen:

Seventy percent (70%) of likely voters now favor a government that offers fewer services and imposes lower taxes over one that provides more services with higher taxes, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

8. 2009 August 27 8:46 am

“This same poll goes on to state that only 19% prefer more governmental in exchange for higher taxes. And, I betcha most of those 19% don’t pay any taxes!”

That was Geithner. He just called the survey line a couple of hundred times to skew the results.

9. 2009 August 27 8:47 am
    aureliusx permalink

Ready for the latest laughs from UC Berkeley, feeling the pain of reality?

best quotes:

“”Everyone is really angry and demoralized because we’re doing more and being paid less,” said one veteran English professor who declined to give his name for fear of reprisal. “And then we’re given a little pious lollipop stuck in our mouth about how Berkeley can still be a great school.”

hmm, a veteran English professor… unclear on the concept of value and money. Wonder who he voted for. Very oral metaphor. How about doing something of value?

and even better (I really had to warp my brain to understand this one– took me about 5 minutes):

“The number of graduate teaching assistants in the English Department was reduced, forcing some students to clamor for spots in required composition classes, for example. Grad student Batya Ungar teaches a course with room for 17, but had 15 more asking to join. Ungar called it an ethical dilemma. “On the one hand, you have students who need this class to graduate,” she said. “But if you allow them in … you’re scabbing off those grad students.”

OK.. what? scabbing off grad students… I finally think I understand the “logic”…
    Berkeley does not have the money to pay more grad students. The grad student TA’s (wonder who she voted for) who do have jobs therefore have to increase class size. And her ethical dilemma (and somehow she thinks this is her choice) is that she is somehow a “scab” by participating in this??? Like she is a strikebreaker? It’s like a sparrow furiously fighting a mirror– she is imagining herself nobly in opposition to a phantasm.

The school has no money because CA has no money because liberalism has run out of other people’s money to spend.

You have no ethical dilemma, my dear. Either do your job or not. You can’t fight against there not being money.

10. 2009 August 27 8:47 am

😆 I was gonna say, all 19% work for the Obama administration, as czars.

11. 2009 August 27 9:06 am
    aureliusx permalink

The English prof’s comment is really irritating. UCB has no money. The administration tries to keep thing going. They say let’s try to keep Berkeley “great”… and that pisses off the prof? What exactly are you angry at?

It’s like the student’s fallacy. You can’t be angry at no money.

If these English profs only knew how much their useless maunderings are already subsidized by the money coming in from Berkeley athletics and science and engineering.

Welcome to reality. You don’t have a right to be a highly paid teacher of “English” to people who should already know enough english composition to do something useful.

12. 2009 August 27 9:11 am
    janzam permalink

Here’s a longest excerpt from a Rich Karlgaard article dealing with economical predictions:

So that leaves us with a U-shaped recovery. A sort of sluggish, walking pneumonia kind of recovery. Overall, that is what the U.S. is likely to experience for the next few years. The stock market will reflect this by peaking at around 1,200 on the S&P, then going sidewise for a few years. That’s my guess, anyway.

But here’s the thing. The American recovery may be U-shaped, on balance, but within that U will pockets of Vs and Ws. That’s why I call it the VW recovery.

The V part of the VW economy includes dynamic growth companies and large exporters. Apple is enjoying a V recovery. Salesforce.com just reported a big, booming V quarter on Friday. Mobile broadband is an entire industry that will enjoy sustained V growth. Low-tax states like Texas, Tennessee and North Dakota are experiencing V recoveries.

America’s W economy includes all those companies, industries, states, cities and personal careers where deteriorating value propositions were masked in good times. It always happens that way. Recessions unmask bad business models.

Today’s W economy: newspapers, McMansion builders, inefficient manufacturers, high-tax state and local governments, and workers unable to adapt, relearn and relocate.

The VW Economy Link

13. 2009 August 27 9:14 am
    janzam permalink

Aureliusx

But, that is the way it is with most liberals. They support progressive policies and “ideology,” except when it hits them.

However, when their small, intellectual lives are impacted by the implementation of progressive legislation then they get all bewildered and start citing “ethical conduct,” “This is so unfair!” or whatever else comes to their pointy little brains!

14. 2009 August 27 9:46 am

Being an adjunct professor I really have to laugh at the English prof. He does not seem to conform to my observation of the higher ed establishment. Wages are generally fixed with occasional COLA adjustments. So the battles in these institutions are usually perks — parking, office space, TA’s , etc. Which also raises the question, why is this guy pissed. If he wanted to he could go do some good work, work up a proposal and pitch he be considered for a chair at some other university. Chairs usually have a decent stipend attached and he can take paid sabbatical from his current digs to do it.

A Leftist, and not even a good one at that.

15. 2009 August 27 9:53 am
    janzam permalink

Simply unbelievable! Hmmm..I seem to be saying this a lot lately!

Congressman demands to see constituent’s ID before allowing town hall question Breitbart TV link

16. 2009 August 27 10:01 am

janzam, wish I be a lawyer at times. The ID checking could be illegal. The right to petition clause of the 1st Amendment does not include “… in your own district.” My voice is as valid in Seattle as it is in Dallas, no matter who my Rep is.

17. 2009 August 27 10:39 am
    janzam permalink

wish I be a lawyer at times. —> drdog

I second that wish!

18. 2009 August 27 1:03 pm
    INC permalink

From Hot Air this afternoon:

Why did the Obama administration delay releasing the budget reconciliation numbers for a month, then try to sneak them into a Friday afternoon document dump in the middle of Barack Obama’s vacation? They knew that the addition of more than $2,000,000,000,000 (trillion!) to their deficit projections was more than an admission of poor forecasting. It also meant acknowledging that Porkulus failed, as I explain in my new American Issues Project column:

“Back in February, when the White House and OMB first claimed that they had knocked two trillion dollars off of the projections thanks to the superpowers of their economic stimulus package, the CBO sounded quite pessimistic….”

The failure of Porkulus will become even more obvious then, as the stimulus package ramps up spending without creating jobs. However, the admission that the CBO had been right all along makes it clear enough that the stimulus package has had no effect at all on the American economy, and we can chew on that while we contemplate how to pay its $787 billion tab.

Ed remembers those CBO headlines as well!