“America Goes to Washington”

2009 September 13

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then.

It is like a storm in the atmosphere.

Thomas Jefferson

For Americans who came to Washington, D.C., yesterday, the events of our founding as a nation are not vague historical dates. These events still live and we feel kinship with the Founders of our nation and thankfulness for their courage; the mind of liberty that propelled their actions is a part of us as well.  They have been our teachers, our mentors and our examples in freedom.

My family came to America when we were a colony. I had ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812 and on both sides of the Civil War. Others who later came to this country know kinship of spirit, if not kinship of blood.

This is our country.

UPDATE: Pundit and Pundette have a link to Barbara Curtis who has a terrific photo journal of the day.  Here is one of the crowd in front of the Capitol.

__________
H/T: Headline: Partial Headline of Roger L. Simon
Patriot Post – Founders Quote Database
Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bospopp/ / CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

1. 2009 September 13 3:04 pm

From yesterday:

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Waterloo.”
    – Senator Jim DeMint

“…you people look like the cavalry to me.”
    – Congressman Mike Pence

2. 2009 September 13 3:10 pm

9/12 was a transformative event

The Daily Mail said 2 million Americans participated. My friend Charlie Martin extrapolated from the pictures an attendance figure of 2.3 million….Whatever the actual number it is sure to be seriously underestimated by the Obama-besotted members of the press corps who are also likely to misrepresent the participants and their views.

But as a participant, I want you to know the attendees were wonderful people, civil and polite. They showed their respect for the Capitol and the event by leaving no mess behind when they were through, in marked contrast to the inauguration and the usual left wing demonstrations here….

Everyone in the political class, journalists, consultants, elected Democrats and Republicans alike, needs to know this: Those countless little-known people who established the local e-mail lists, organized first one, then two, then three or more chartered buses, held sign-making parties and packed box lunches, are not going to go away any time soon.

3. 2009 September 13 4:05 pm

Surprise: Obama calls murder of pro-life supporter deplorable. Smart move on his part (although MSM seems to be ignoring it).

Obama condemns Owosso shooting
    President calls slaying of pro-life activist ‘deplorable’

4. 2009 September 13 4:06 pm
    fedupartist permalink

5. 2009 September 13 4:11 pm
    INC permalink

Guys, how does in the photo in the post look to you? Is it partial, tiny or what?

Do you see the quote on the right side?

6. 2009 September 13 4:12 pm
    mpthompson permalink

The RINO’s must have been scared by the protest:

As well they should be.

7. 2009 September 13 4:13 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Looks fine to me Firefox.

8. 2009 September 13 4:15 pm

Artist –

As we discussed in an earlier thread, most RINOs political philosophy is not liberal or conservative, but opportunistic.

If we can “primary” a few people like Bennett and McCain in 2010, it will send a message that I believe will result in more conservative voting patterns among RINOs.

If we temporarily lose a few seats in the process, it’s OK. Quoting SP, who quoted Douglas MacArthur, “We’re not retreating. We’re advancing from a different direction.”

9. 2009 September 13 4:16 pm
    INC permalink

Thanks, I’m on Firefox as well. Mary just emailed me to say it’s only showing 1/8th of the photo to her. She did tell me she’s going from a pc to a mac at the moment.

Let me know if there are any problems.

10. 2009 September 13 4:17 pm

looks fine on IE…but are you SURE it’s from yesterday rally? I thought everyone was waving Confederate flags (Maureen Dowd)?!?!?

11. 2009 September 13 4:18 pm

INC, check out the estimating relative to the Inauguration photo down in the “For arguments sake…” thread

I believe the number was between 1.2 million and 2 million.

but the media is bizzy pretending it was just a bunch of guys in a pickup truck!

12. 2009 September 13 4:19 pm
    mpthompson permalink

INC, I would very much like to hear your thoughts on the success Mr. O’Keefe and Ms. Miles had in taking on Acorn. The many postings you had regarding David Horowitz last week came immediately to mind in how, more than anything else, they exposed Acorn as being morally corrupt. Exposing legal corruption was just a bonus.

A lot could be learned from deconstructing what this pair had done and how it might be duplicated a hundred fold outside the MSM media and in the new media where such efforts can catch fire and spread with relatively little money and other traditional media infrastructure.

13. 2009 September 13 4:23 pm

I just added Breitbart’s site to my favorite places. I’ll try to get it linked on BJG!! 🙂 (Justmary??)

14. 2009 September 13 4:25 pm
    reggie1971 permalink

I would imagine that quite a bit of latte was choked on in reaction to these numbers. The response by elitist a–h–les carries on the long cherished tradition of the radical left. Call people stupid when you have nothing intelligent to say in response. I believe a lot of those who are on the fence and not politically aligned with any party or movement are beginning to have a decidely negative reaction to this. There is only so far you can get pushing an agenda by simply demeaning people who disagree with it.

15. 2009 September 13 4:26 pm
    TLS permalink

Inc – I have a problem with the phot. just a strip across the top. I have the side wording though

16. 2009 September 13 4:30 pm
    TLS permalink

Apparently I have a problem w/ spelling also. make that photo

17. 2009 September 13 4:31 pm
    INC permalink

Justrand–I think those numbers are correct from what I’ve read in various places.

18. 2009 September 13 4:33 pm
    INC permalink

mpt, I really like what they did. They’re to be congratulated for fearlessly thinking outside the box.

Breitbart’s new site http://biggovernment.breitbart.com/ has numerous posts up now on ACORN.

The state-run media better beware!

19. 2009 September 13 4:33 pm
    INC permalink

TLS–I’ll move things around then and try to make it work for all.

20. 2009 September 13 4:34 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Oh I don’t know. I sometimes think Obama learned how to deal with Republicans by observing Bush, McCain and Graham. He probably figured we just like being called racists and told to “sit down and shut the f*ck up”.

21. 2009 September 13 4:36 pm
    brucefdb permalink

INC…I too can only see a sliver of the photo…..words are ok though. I am on a pc running IE under VISTA.

22. 2009 September 13 4:40 pm
    TLS permalink

ie vista here too

23. 2009 September 13 4:42 pm
    INC permalink

OK, I’ve rearranged the furniture a little :-). How does it look now?

24. 2009 September 13 4:49 pm
    TLS permalink

I have a slighter wider strip now. About an inch

25. 2009 September 13 4:51 pm
    INC permalink

Ooops. Let me just move the quote down.

This happens because I like to play around with the framing of quotes and images.

🙂

26. 2009 September 13 4:54 pm
    INC permalink

If that didn’t work it’s something about the photo link which I can remove from the photo itself.

27. 2009 September 13 4:55 pm
    TLS permalink

That worked. Thanks!!

28. 2009 September 13 4:55 pm
    INC permalink

Good–glad to hear that!

29. 2009 September 13 4:56 pm

I’m sticking with my prediction that NO healthcare bill get passed.

30. 2009 September 13 4:57 pm
    mpthompson permalink

I’ll second Eph. No healthcare bill.

31. 2009 September 13 5:03 pm

mpthompson permalink

I’ll second Eph. No healthcare bill.

Whatever you’re smoking, it’s illegal. 😆

32. 2009 September 13 5:08 pm

“The most effectual engines for [pacifying a nation] are the public papers… [A despotic] government always [keeps] a kind of standing army of newswriters who, without any regard to truth or to what should be like truth, [invent] and put into the papers whatever might serve the ministers. This suffices with the mass of the people who have no means of distinguishing the false from the true paragraphs of a newspaper.” Thomas Jefferson to G. K. van Hogendorp, Oct. 13, 1785.

33. 2009 September 13 5:12 pm

Health Care. 40% chance that HR3200 passes. It will blow up in the House once the Senate has no provisions for a public option. However there is an 80% that some HC bill does pass, it just won’t be HR3200.

The Dims have to save face. If they don’t have some bill passed their entire coalition of blocs crumbles. For if you control 2 Houses of Congress and the Executive and can’t get a bill passed then what good are you?

34. 2009 September 13 5:15 pm

Speaking of attendance, it would be interesting to know the total attendance of all tea parties to date all across the country (including DC) since Santelli went off on Obama and created the idea.

I wonder if that number is available anywhere. There may be duplicates, but the “show up pi$$ed” factor would be in the total.

Anyone got an idea where that number would be?

35. 2009 September 13 5:21 pm
    INC permalink

Mullet, the last Tax Day Tea Party number I had was 700,038. Other Tea Parties before Saturday, would I’m sure take it over a million.

36. 2009 September 13 5:24 pm

Thanks, INC.

WOW!

37. 2009 September 13 5:25 pm

DON RICKLES ON DEMOCRATS

Hello, dummies! Oh my God, look at you. Anyone else hurt in the accident?

Seriously, Senator Reid has a face of a saint – a Saint Bernard. Now I know why they call you the arithmetic man. You add partisanship, subtract pleasure, divide attention, and multiply ignorance. Reid is so physically unimposing, he makes Pee Wee Herman look like Mr. T. And Reid’s so dumb, he makes Speaker Pelosi look like an intellectual. Nevada is soooo screwed! If I were less polite, I’d say Reid makes Kevin Federline look successful..

Speaking of the Speaker…. Nancy Pelosi, hubba, hubba! Hey baby, you must’ve been something before electricity. Seriously, the Speaker may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don’t let that fool you. She really is an idiot. Madame Speaker… want to make twelve bucks the hard way?

Pelosi says she’s not partisan, but her constituents call her Madame Pelossilini.

Charlie Rangel… still alive, and still robbing the taxpayers blind. What does that make, six decades of theft? Rangel’s the only man with a rent-controlled mansion. He’s the guy who writes our tax laws, but forgot to pay taxes on $75 grand in rental income! So why isn’t he the Treasury Secretary? Rangel runs more scams than a Nigerian Banker.

Barney Frank – he’s a better actor than Fred Flintstone.. Consider… he and Dodd caused the whole financial meltdown and they’re not only not serving time with Bubba and Rodney, they’re still heading up the financial system! Let’s all admit it… Barney Frank slobbers more than a sheepdog on Novocain. How did this guy get elected? Oh, that’s right… he’s from Massachusetts. That’s the state that elects Mr. Charisma, John Kerry — man of the people!

You know, if Senator Dodd were any more crooked, you could open wine bottles with him. Here’s a news flash, Dodd: when your local newspaper calls you a “lying weasel”, it may be time to retire. Dodd’s involved in more shady deals than theClintons. Even Rangel looks up to him!

Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, I really respect you…especially given your upbringing. All you’ve overcome….I heard your birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory. I don’t know what makes you so dumb, but it really works for you. Personally, I don’t think you’re a fool, but what’s
    my opinion compared to that of thousands of others? Gibbs does his best expositional work in the bathroom every morning.

As for President Obama, what can I say? They say President Obama’s arrogant and aloof, but I don’t agree. Now it’s true when you enter the room, you have to kiss his ring. I don’t mind, but he has it in his back pocket. His mind is open to new ideas — so open that ideas simply pass through it. Obama lies so much, I was actually surprised to find out his first name really was Barack. Just don’t ask about his middle name! But Obama was able to set a record…he actually lied more in 60 days than Bill Clinton.
    As far as his administration — what with the tax cheat and lobbyists — well, in the words of Patches O’Houlihan, “It’s like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob out there.”

With all due respect.

38. 2009 September 13 5:34 pm

great, drdog!!

39. 2009 September 13 5:35 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Whatever you’re smoking, it’s illegal. 😆

Perhaps I’m just in a good mood today. 🙂

40. 2009 September 13 5:41 pm
    mpthompson permalink

The Dims have to save face.

Agreed. However, will they be able to resist the temptation to place all the blame on the obstructionist Republicans along with Sarah Palin and her “death panels”. They may figure that with the backing of the MSM they may be able to pull it off.

After all, you don’t really think they care about health care do you?

41. 2009 September 13 6:54 pm

After all, you don’t really think they care about health care do you?

God No! Having read the bill, the term ‘Patient’ is missing in HR3200.

Stick obstruction on the Reps? Hmmm. Could be. Nancy has tried twice and O twice to lay that charge, but so far it has not stuck. The Dims would have to show some parliamentary finagling to make it happen. Problem is the Reps as so few in number that other than procedural motions there is not much else they can do.

If HC goes into defeat, the Dims have no one but themselves to blame in the mirror.

42. 2009 September 13 6:57 pm

JR, thank Don Rickles. I think he missed his calling. Rather than a stand up comic he should have been writing opinion pieces for the Washington Examiner.

43. 2009 September 13 7:18 pm

For BC,

Once trailblazer media watchdogs like talk radio, The Media Research Center and Bernard Goldberg were joined with the awesome power of the Internet and Fox News, the media’s sins of omission and commission could no longer be hidden from the general public, or denied. This gave the Fourth Estate two options. They could either: A) Clean up their act and do their jobs honorably … or B) Surrender their fig leafs of objectivity and run amok as the ideologues they really are.

Doing their jobs honorably would mean a setback for the Leftist cause, and so they chose B.

The good news is that this appears to be a suicide run.

source

Then there is this tidbit —

On Twitter, Virginia Postrel writes:

“Per @Romenesko, Washpo lost $143 million through the first six months of this year” Which means they lose $1.10 PER COPY. Yikes.”

source

BC, think about that. They lose $1.10 on every unit sale. Nor is this turn around opportunity even if they were to increase circulation. Their problem is their revenue structure is far out stripped by their debt load. Craigslist and eBay may have more to do with the demise of the pulp press than anything else.

44. 2009 September 13 7:25 pm

Several folk have commented as to what the grounds looked like after the march yesterday. Well happy to report Gateway Pundit has assembled the goods. Its a hooray for our side!

Might I say this reflects the difference between adults and teenagers from a political point of view?

45. 2009 September 13 7:30 pm

I see that Geraldo is taking Colmes place as the biggest scum bag on Foxnews.

He wont let this Wilson is a racist thing go. Probably b/c Geraldo wants illegals to have health insurance.

46. 2009 September 13 7:38 pm

Knighthawk asked about the aftermath, cleanliness wise, of the Washington Mall after yesterday…a big HATTIP to GatewayPundit for a full report…and comparison:

we’re just nicer people!

47. 2009 September 13 9:37 pm

Photoshop via Pamela Geller: D.C.’s Baghdad Bob

“What marchers? There are no protesters against Obama and the Democrats in Washington!!”

48. 2009 September 14 2:19 am

#47 INC that is just classic, a real keeper.