FREEDOM LOST IS NEVER REGAINED

2009 October 14
by ip727

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”

– Marcus Tullius Cicero,

Ancient Roman Lawyer, Writer, Scholar, Orator and Statesman, (106 BC-43 BC)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

~~~C. S. Lewis

Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.

Justice Louis D. Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v. United States, 277 US 479 (1928)

MEN FIGHT FOR LIBERTY AND WIN IT WITH HARD KNOCKS. THEIR CHILREN, BROUGHT UP EASY, LET IT SLIP AWAY AGAIN, POOR FOOLS. AND THEIR GRANDCHILDREN ARE ONCE MORE SLAVES~~D.H. Lawrence

THE PEOPLE’S POTTAGE

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin (1706 – 1790)

1. 2009 October 14 10:54 am
    MFG permalink

We’re not done yet

2. 2009 October 14 10:54 am
    MFG permalink

We’re browning nicely on one side, but we’re not done yet…

3. 2009 October 14 11:18 am
    MI Conservative permalink

4. 2009 October 14 11:33 am
    judyt2009 permalink

The anguish of the Lady Liberty is exactly how I feel each day. As I watch people happily enslave themselves to the federal government.

I wonder which is worse…. fighting with your insurance company over whether an experimental procedure or drug is included under your insurance plan …or waiting for some nameless, faceless, unaccountable government slug to decide your fate under the same circumstances.

Okay, so millions of healthy and self-financing individuals elect assume the risk and go without health insurance. Okay, just what % of these folks find out they made a mistake and suddenly are pulling out of pocket to pay for medical care? We may have a tragic story here and there, but what is the %. I want to know what % of risk takers fail and is that worth crabbing the insurance programs and doubling the premiums for the rest of us non-risk takers worth the cost.

I was a risk taker on the health insurance front a couple of times in my life. I gambled and lost on this front when the ex-husband developed kidney stones. Sure it was painful to pay the cost of the emergency room visit but to be sure not as painful as passing a kidney stone. It was a gamble we took, and we lost.

5. 2009 October 14 11:46 am
    TLS permalink

“Okay, so millions of healthy and self-financing individuals elect assume the risk and go without health insurance. Okay, just what % of these folks find out they made a mistake and suddenly are pulling out of pocket to pay for medical care? We may have a tragic story here and there, but what is the %.” judyt2009

And how many times when that happens do people rise to the occasion? Last year a gentleman in our community had a brain tumor that he had to pay for out of pocket. The community raised more than $120K in just a few months.

6. 2009 October 14 12:00 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Just yesterday we were speculating about the need for a new political organization that would counter the elitist R leaders who keep stuffing rino candidates down our throat. Some of us thought that there might be a solution coming via Sarah. Perhaps there is!

Voila!

7. 2009 October 14 12:08 pm
    mpthompson permalink

An ever slight ray of hope on a sea of gloom: Will Snowe’s vote launch a Democratic civil war?

H/T Politico via Hot Air

8. 2009 October 14 12:12 pm
    MFG permalink

MP

They’re not going to be able to thread this needle

Every shift this way loses support that way

And wait’ll you see the insurance company ad blitz to come…

“Don’t let Congress destroy your Medicare!!” etc

9. 2009 October 14 12:17 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

TLS which is the way it should work…

10. 2009 October 14 12:19 pm

The sheeple won’t believe anything the insurance companies have to say. The enemy of my friend is my enemy. The knuckle dragger mind set If big insurance is agin it, I’m for it.

11. 2009 October 14 12:21 pm
    mpthompson permalink

MFG, as I said, an ever slight ray of hope. However, life has taught me to never go into competition/battle with your only hope that your opponent self destructs. When it does happen it’s nice, but it is not a strategy for victory.

12. 2009 October 14 12:26 pm
    janzam permalink

Excellent thread IP!

Your historical quotes can be applied to comtemporary problems as well. It’s interesting how history just keeps repeating itself.

mp

I just read that story on Hot Air about the possible Dim civil war over HC. I believe that may be the only way out, at this point, to circumvent this awful legislation —> to splinter the vote between the far left and the left of center vote in the democratic party.

13. 2009 October 14 12:28 pm
    janzam permalink

I also agree with Judy, on how that tormented picture of the Statue of Liberty is how I often feel when I see the miserable decisions being made by our demented Congress!

14. 2009 October 14 12:47 pm
    mpthompson permalink

I just read that story on Hot Air about the possible Dim civil war over HC.

Funny thing, I could swear the headline for the article changed from “Will Snowe’s vote launch a Democratic civil war?” to “Snowe vote arms Baucus for party war” between when I first read the article and when I linked it. I think a raw nerve was touched by Politico. We should keep poking just to make sure :-).

15. 2009 October 14 4:25 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

What this post needs is more capital letters…

Speaking of all caps, where is RP? Anyone seen him?

16. 2009 October 14 5:57 pm

rp broke his arm,can’t type I guess

17. 2009 October 14 6:20 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

OK THANKS A LOT I HOPE HE COMES BACK.

18. 2009 October 14 6:58 pm