Time to Shovel the Snowe?

2009 October 13

From an Investor’s Business Daily Editorial:

Politics: After hemming and hawing for weeks, Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe did what many knew she’d do: support the abominable Baucus health care overhaul.

The GOP has a big problem. Some who march under its banner don’t really accept the basic philosophy it espouses — one of low taxes, small government and support of the Constitution. Snowe is one of those.

Her decision to vote “aye” on the Baucus bill, which passed out of the Senate Finance Committee on an otherwise partisan 14-9 vote, was called a “surprise” by some. It wasn’t.

She’s done this for years, undercutting her party and lending support to the opposition. Don’t look for some transcendent reason.

(snip)

The GOP has this problem with lots of its members — including Snowe’s fellow Maine senator, Susan Collins. And don’t forget Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter, who abandoned his party for the Democrats as soon as it was politically expedient to do so.

By the way, Snowe, Collins and Specter all voted for the stimulus. So you can partly thank them when your taxes shoot sky high.

South Carolina’s Lindsey Graham, who’s joining Democrats in support of cap-and-trade, is another example. Cap-and-trade is one of the worst bills in history — doing literally nothing to curb carbon dioxide emissions while slapping American families with an estimated $1,700 in added taxes each year. Graham’s for it.

The GOP must be wondering: With members like these, who needs Democrats?

1. 2009 October 13 6:23 pm

Said it many a time, it’s not a matter of just slapping RINO’s. Independents need to be engaged to join with Conservaties and burn both parties for their selections. The numbers are there to do it.

2. 2009 October 13 6:26 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

As disgusting as her vote is, going after her is a waste of energy. Elect 10 conservative Rs to the Senate from all over Red America, and you won’t have to worry about her anymore….

3. 2009 October 13 6:28 pm
    conservativetony permalink

I hope Snowe goes the way of Specter. I can see her threatening to bolt the party then getting a big surprise when its held open for her-by her own party.

4. 2009 October 13 6:31 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

As the article says, this is no surprise at all, there was a 0.88 probability she’d do this.

Replace McCain

Landreiu
    Johnson
    Nelson
    Nelson FL
    Reid
    Conrad

replace Hatch and Bennett, Kay Barely, and Cornyn.

And this crap will not happen,
    neither will cap and trade, or amnesty, or any other of this nonsense.

5. 2009 October 13 6:31 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

that’s 19 senators right there.

6. 2009 October 13 6:31 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Also the moron from Co, what’s his face,….

7. 2009 October 13 6:32 pm

Salazar, and Udall….

8. 2009 October 13 6:33 pm

salazar quit a took a job with obammer. The jerk in co is another bennet.

9. 2009 October 13 6:33 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

that’s 21 red state Dems and RINOS….

Also Webb, and Warner. There are many targets. Snowe will just flip to lib dem.

Maine is a messed up state. Relatively poor and hicktown, yet votes for communists….

10. 2009 October 13 6:34 pm

Bennet, Michael F.

Udall, Mark –

colorado pukes

11. 2009 October 13 6:37 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I mean, Snowe is awful, and worthless. I’m not going to say anything nice about her.

But you have to be smart. You have to press the attack where the enemy is weakest.

Red states, people. Get the Red state Dems out, get the Red state RINOS out.

That is what is so annoying about Graham winning last year. And McCain will probably win next year…

!@#$%!#$%

12. 2009 October 13 6:38 pm

I agree with rwy, the most galling thing of all is having RINO or Dems in Red States. At least Snowe is from a Blue State to begin with. So maybe a RINO is the best we can do there.

But Blanche Lincoln in Arkansas?? Lindsay eff’ing Graham from SOUTH Carolina??

With Snowe the best thing to do for now is keep highlighting her Potemkin Village status. Make sure folks know that calling out her vote as now an indicator of BI-Partisan support for this crap is NONSENSE!

13. 2009 October 13 6:39 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Argh, I forgot Pryor and Lincoln…..

that’s 23 we can target….

14. 2009 October 13 6:39 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Wouldn’t it be nice to have 64 R Senators, with 58 conservatives, so we COULD tell Snowe to @#$$#$% off?

Well, we have work to do…

15. 2009 October 13 6:40 pm

Warner didn’t seek reelection in 2008.

But, Kay hagan (D-NC) will be a great target in five years.

16. 2009 October 13 6:44 pm

Warner R was replaced by Warner, D, in VA…..,

17. 2009 October 13 6:46 pm

Hagan says one thing here in NC, and goes to DC and does another. She’s just another socialist like the others.

I don’t get the party discipline of the dems. Can we not peel some of them off on a regular basis to vote against this far left crap? Are they all marxists?

Are they more scared of Obama and Reid than their home state voters?

Damn!

18. 2009 October 13 6:47 pm
    conservativetony permalink

23 senators to work on. Lets see, if I live to be 95 I can probably replace every one of them. (Once Liberal politicians start to suck on the teat of government largess, they never want to let go.)

At least I’ll have something to look forward to when I retire. There’s always attrition. They can’t live forever.

19. 2009 October 13 6:47 pm
    MFG permalink

Yes, I agree with your list, Yahoo…

20. 2009 October 13 6:48 pm
    wildernesstea permalink

I for one called up the NRSC and GOP and told them to take me off all their contact lists today. There is no point of having a party if people abandon the party on such basic issues as this. I can’t send money to NRSC and GOP when I don’t know for sure if that money is going to Snowe, Graham, etc.
    We already have a Democratic Party in this country. We don’t need 2 of them.

21. 2009 October 13 6:51 pm

2012 is the year for the Senate
    Senate Seats up for election:

Massachusetts (Ted Kennedy vacancy)
    Kay Bailey Hutchison (R) of Texas
    John Ensign of Nevada
    Bob Corker of Tennessee
    Orrin Hatch of Utah
    John Barrasso of Wyoming
    Unknown incumbent elections
    Kirsten Gillibrand of New York

Regarding Democrats: There’s probably a 50-50 chance Robert Byrd will be dead. Michigan voters may finally come to their senses and realize Debbie Stabenow is too fat, dumb and ugly to be a member of the human race, let alone a member of the Senate. On the GOP side, there’s a lot of ugly fallout from Ensign’s ugly extra-marital affair.

22. 2009 October 13 6:55 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Thanks for the list, BC

Going down, I see Bob Casey. Brings back fond memories of Santorum.

23. 2009 October 13 6:56 pm
    TLS permalink

You may have already seen this, but I wonder where politics are going when we solicit political donations with a sweepstakes. Our forefathers are rolling over in their graves.

Email from John Cornyn at the NRSC:

You only have one day left to register for your opportunity win a trip to the NRSC’s first ever private Golf Outing with 7-time PGA Tour Winner Peter Jacobsen in Naples, FL.

We’ll start the day with lunch and a golf clinic hosted by Peter Jacobsen. After you’ve tested the tips you’ve learned from Peter on the course, we’ll have a cocktail reception and photos with Peter and Republican members of the U.S. Senate.

Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity. If you contribute at least $18 by tomorrow at midnight, representing the 18 seats the Democrats have to defend in 2010, you will be entered into a drawing to win an all expense paid trip for you and a guest to attend this special event.

Sincerely,
    John Cornyn

24. 2009 October 13 6:59 pm

TLS –

It’s designed to appeal to “Country Club Republicans.”

I am not even sure this is leagal. If you require consideration (buying something) as a prerequisite for entering a swppstakes, it is illegal.

25. 2009 October 13 7:00 pm

Every night Sean Hannity hits a new low.

26. 2009 October 13 7:02 pm

We are where we are because the party was more concerned about power than principles. We kept moving left under the false impression (by those in power) that America was a moderate nation vs a center-right nation. This was hoisted on us by the people in power who wanted to be liked by the Socialist friends (democrats) and the MSM who would slobber all over them – just ask John McCain.

John McCain like his butt buddy Lucy Graham are RINOs in a Red State. Much like Bob Dole, they knew if they ran as Republicans they would get elected. Are they Republicans – yes – In Name Only. They are no different than their Democrat butt buddies except they they supposedly represent conservatives.

The Republicans are trying to change the party on us. They want to go back to before Reagan. This is why they keep repeating that Reagan Conservatism is dead. This is why they are so afraid of the tea parties. They see the people rising up and trying to take back their party.

Myself – I see it all failing. Too late in the game to save it. Thus I am keeping a list of those Democrats & Republicans who are responsible for the coming collapse. Whether innocent or guilty makes no difference to me – they are all accountable for what they did or did not do. As Jesus said – “it would be best that they were never born.”

27. 2009 October 13 7:05 pm

David Frum is convinced that if the GOP just moves to the left, there is an army of voters ready to climb aboard. Frum is delusional.

28. 2009 October 13 7:06 pm

Jeb Bush has said, “We must move beyond Reagan.” Of all the 2012 GOP contenders and pretenders, only one wants to return to the ways of the Reagan era.

29. 2009 October 13 7:07 pm
    TLS permalink

bc – yeah, I know who it’s aimed at, I still find it utterly disguising.

30. 2009 October 13 7:08 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I would say that anyone who says that after the election of 2008 is a lunatic.

31. 2009 October 13 7:53 pm
    janzam permalink

How can I put this without being trashed.

First off, people on this blog tend to categorize people by how they vote on the issues —-> left or right. If their votes, on some issues, fall anywhere off target of where the Conservatives think it should be, they totally fall from grace.

Now people like Snowe, Collins, Specter are decisively 50/50 republicans, as knowing how they vote is more like tossing a coin.

However, Cornyn, Kyl, and even dear old McCain are much more dependable than the former three, but are still given the heave-ho by many. McCain earned distain from campaign finance reform (a disaster), and moving towards CIR and some sort of moderated carbon reduction reform. I disagree with him on all three. However, on many other issues, like the stimulus, the budget, health care, abortion, gun rights, earmarks, reduction in government spending, nuclear power, foreign policy in Iraq, Afghanistan, Russia, SCOTUS nominations —- these are all important stances that he does not waver. Even Graham, who is excoriated here, is excellent in his foreign policy statements. We need strong foreign policy makers more now than ever!

So, in a time where we are teetering on the brink of Conservative extinction I tend to grab a branch where I can find it to save our country from going totally into the abyss until another foothold is found.

The 2010 election is something we should focus on like a laser to get the dims out of power. The RINO’s are the lesser of evils now. Pile it on them when we have a stronger hand to play, not before —> that is my philosophy.

32. 2009 October 13 7:56 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Jan, I see the point you’re making… and you’re right if the only alternative to McCain was a democrat.

However, my point is that is NOT the case. We can expect a conservative to take his seat. Plain and simple, we don’t HAVE to deal with his crap.

The same goes for the other Red State RINOS.

33. 2009 October 13 7:58 pm

Now people like Snowe, Collins, Specter are decisively 50/50 republicans,

See, this I have a problem with, Jan, because the record clearly shows that they are a lot worse than 50/50 Rs.

34. 2009 October 13 8:01 pm
    janzam permalink

…and, if you primary out someone like McCain, and then lose in the general, with your strict Conservative, what will you have gained?

35. 2009 October 13 8:01 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

But, even if they ARE worse, it depends on what state they are in, whether it’s wise to primary them.

In PA Toomey had a real chance to unseat Specter, who is now a Dem. I would not hesitate to take a shot at him.

Snowe/Collins, are pretty much untouchable in primaries. So, you’d have to decide that a Dem would be better to clearly draw a line between R and D. But that is a gamble.

I’d say leave the Maine sisters alone for now, and concentrate on Red state rinos and Dems…

36. 2009 October 13 8:02 pm
    janzam permalink

I agree about Toomey, and wven Rubio in Florida, over Crist.

37. 2009 October 13 8:02 pm
    janzam permalink

But, Kyl, Cornyn and McCain I would leave alone.

38. 2009 October 13 8:03 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Nothing, but you wouldn’t lose in the general, in AZ. Not gonna happen. Same with Graham’s SC seat, same with Hatch and Bennett. These seats will stay R, so primary them and get them out.

If we can’t win a statewide election in AZ, we are done anyway. Primary McCain, it’s all upside and no downside at all.

39. 2009 October 13 8:03 pm

well said, janzam!

it’s actually my philosophy in most regards. 2010…that the key!

As I said in an earlier comment, Snowe is almost certainly the best we could ever hope for from Maine. Sad but true.

but there is danger in ingorning her actions of today, just as there is danger in focusing too much on them. if nothing else Snowe needs to be called out and highlighted for what she handed Obama: a TALKING POINT! And he RAN to a camera to exploit it, praising her and declaring that the (non-existant) Bill was now “bi-partisan!

so yes, let’s pile on when we have a stronger hand…but let’s not let Snowe win a prize (Nobel or otherwise) for her actions. And in RED States let’s get true Conservatives in. ANY Conservative Republican will win in South Carolina if we can get Graham in the primary.

and lastly, I do REFUSE to give to the NRSC, because ultimately it means I’m supporting people like Arlen Sphincter…who will take the assistance and then kiss off the Party.

40. 2009 October 13 8:05 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

McCain I would leave alone.

When he puts cap and trade over the top on you, Jan, doubling your power bill and adding to the cost of every gallon of gas you use and costing hundreds of thousands of American jobs in the middle of a depression, sister, you are going to change your mind on him, I know it,…..

41. 2009 October 13 8:07 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Kyl lied and swore to the voters he would not support amnesty, he then doublecrossed his state…. ditto Cornyn.

Primary them. We can teach them a lesson in loyalty, and replace them with good conservatives, easily….

42. 2009 October 13 8:09 pm
    janzam permalink

I haven’t given money to the GOP directly for years. I always give directly to the candidate, and in that way I have some control where my money goes.

2010 is an important year. If we concentrate our energy and our gripes in the right places I think we can do well in the congressional races. If we waste too much time excoriating everyone we disagree with, I fear we will dilute our criticisms and ultimately our effectiveness.

43. 2009 October 13 8:12 pm

rwy, I disagree with you on Kyl…though I see you point.

McCain we can and should take out in a Primary, however. JD Hayworth would make a great Senator.

44. 2009 October 13 8:13 pm

2010…it’s all about having MORE Republicans, or ANY ilk in the House than Dems. That way Piglosi is no longer Speaker…and we get some investigations launched!!

THEN we clean house 🙂

45. 2009 October 13 8:13 pm
    janzam permalink

rwy — I carefully read McCain’s Cap & Trade version and it was entirely different than Obama’s — less onerous in adversely effecting the economy. Furthermore, I think he could be swayed away from it entirely had he won the presidency, especially with Palin as his VP.

So, I think you are beating a dead horse always bringing that up as an anti-McCain reason. Like I’ve said before, I really don’t like the guy anymore. But, I do like about 3/4 of his policies. So, I am not looking at him emotionally, only pragmatically.

46. 2009 October 13 8:15 pm
    janzam permalink

2010…it’s all about having MORE Republicans, or ANY ilk in the House than Dems.

That’s the bottom line. The rest, who you like or don’t like, are extraneous details.

47. 2009 October 13 8:19 pm
    mpthompson permalink

I received a call from the NRCC today — in a middle of a chess game with my son so I was a bit annoyed just to be disturbed. I could swear the lady first said she was calling from the NRC and started off with the standard Reid/Pelosi/Obama scare BS. I layed into her how on a day that we were just stabbed in the back by Snowe, that she could honestly think I would donate to the Republicans today. I also threw in my utter disgust with McCain and Graham. The lady then said she was actually calling from the NRCC and they didn’t have much to do with the Senate side of things. So I layed into her about the eight House members who voted for Cap and Trade — are they being supported by the NRCC? Or the seven GOP House members that voted to censure Joe Wilson. No answer. At that point I said “Thanks for the call.” and hung up.

Perhaps someday the GOP will understand their former donors don’t like being treated as patsies. To hell with all of them.

48. 2009 October 13 8:21 pm

Then what do we do if we win with this cast of RINOs in 2010 and it turns out to be……

“you too Brutus?”

49. 2009 October 13 8:22 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Jan, McCain is saying that he will vote for Obama’s cap and trade, in exchange for some meaningless drivel about nuclear energy in the future.

You always bring up McCain’s “wonderful” cap and trade and contrast it with Obama’s .

Both of them would have been a huge tax and job killer to prevent what is not happening anyway….

And now McCain is in the process of signing on to Obama’s plan.

Give it up about McCain already…

50. 2009 October 13 8:25 pm

gnqanq

Rome wasn’t built in a day. The same goes for any Conservative movement. The real opponents in any race are liberal dims. RINOs are unpredictable, but they still vote more our way than the libs. So, IMHO we work on getting the dims out of power , first. Then go for more “remodeling” later.

51. 2009 October 13 8:25 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

So, I am not looking at him emotionally, only pragmatically

Sigh… I too, look at him pragmatically. You see me saying forget it with Snowe, don’t you? Does that not tell you I’m looking at return on investment as well?

McCain can and should be replaced with a conservative, and put this issue to rest. All this about differences in degrees of disastrous policy and charges of emotionalism only serve to distract from the main issue, and that is that he can and should be primaried out…

52. 2009 October 13 8:25 pm

Right Wing – did you listen to Glenn Beck today? And in particular the last hour.

53. 2009 October 13 8:27 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

In the senate, you only get a shot once every 6 years, and if a good primary opponent comes along, why ignore him?

Get McCain out now, AND toss the Dems. Don’t waste all the other senators’ time with McCain’s overtures to the left.

54. 2009 October 13 8:27 pm

GN

No, I got pulled into a meeting, what was it all about?

55. 2009 October 13 8:28 pm

rwy

I only mention McCain because he is brought up so much in remarks here. I don’t view him as bad as the rest of you do — that’s all there is to it.

In fact, I see him as still having some leadership contributions, expecially in foreign policy and what to do militarily in Iraq and Afghanistan.

56. 2009 October 13 8:29 pm
    conservativetony permalink

I wasn’t totally convinced, but now I am. Without Snowe, this bill never gets out of committee. Lindsey Lohan did the same thing with Sotomayor.

Comment from HA:

Bishop, you have it all wrong. They needed that Republican vote to get it out of committee. It was bottled up and would never have reached the floor if Snowe hadn’t changed her vote, due to the arcane committee rules which require that at least one member of the minority party must vote yes before the bill can be brought from committee to floor.

Now it’s going to the floor and the Dems have the votes.

That single vote was a major blow for our side.

unclesmrgol on October 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM

57. 2009 October 13 8:30 pm
    TLS permalink

John McCain is currently working harder than ever to deliver more RINO’s to Washington as we speak. Back him and you back Meg Whitman, et al.

58. 2009 October 13 8:32 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Jan, I agree with RWY. Bringing up Cap and Trade when discussing McCain doesn’t win you any points. Cap and Trade, any version, is a complete and utter scam to bilk consumers of their hard earned money on a necessity they have no choice, but to purchase. A tax imposed by those without the courage to call it a tax.

The fact McCain would even entertain the notion of supporting Cap and Trade tells me they guy is either a doddering ol’ fool or a lefty-wolf in sheep’s clothing.

59. 2009 October 13 8:33 pm

janzam, I still think McCain’s desire to be loved by the media is his fatal flaw…and McCain-Fiengold is a pretty unforgivable sin anyway.

If Hayworth runs then lets let the chips fall where they may.

Snowe needs to be called out for her action of today…but there is little to be done.

2010 should be the year of the Conservative! People across this country as seeing what the Far Left is doing…and at what speed. Sarah Palin can help get some more true Conservatives elected too.

The goal is to take the House and trim the Senate. That buys us time to prepare for 2012.

60. 2009 October 13 8:34 pm
    janzam permalink

BTW JD Hayworth’s claim to fame is his staunch anti-immigration stance. But, he has a few skeletons in his closet, like his wife being paid thru some PAC and a connection to Abramoff and Indian Tribes. So, he is not exactly a shue-in in the general, if they bring all this out.

61. 2009 October 13 8:34 pm

mp – or both!

62. 2009 October 13 8:34 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

No, because we would keep those qualities in a conservative when we primaried him out, AND get the right positions on the OTHER issues AS WELL.

See? It’s like a 2 for 1 sale. woot!

63. 2009 October 13 8:38 pm
    janzam permalink

Again, Justrand, I totally agree with your “end,” but probably deviate a bit from the “means” to that end. However, if I wanted to be lock-step with a party I would be a democrat, as that is the only kind of party member they accept! LOL

Conservatives are independent thinkers.

64. 2009 October 13 8:39 pm

Oh boy, Jan….

1 he is not anti-immigrant, he is anti-illegal immigrant. ok?
    2 none of that matters much at all, nor does it compare to what damage McCain has done in the senate, and will do, should he win again…

65. 2009 October 13 8:39 pm

RWY – he had Kevin Flynn on and they talked about what is coming. Flynn thought “zero” would be like Clinton (triangulate) but now realizes how right Glenn was on “zero”. They talked about the radicals in DC and how they want to destroy since they are incapable of building anything. Reading between the lines from what they were saying – power grab coming under some type of contrived crisis or taking advantage of a real one.

66. 2009 October 13 8:39 pm
    janzam permalink

See? It’s like a 2 for 1 sale. woot!

rwy, It’s those kind of comments that make you adorable!

67. 2009 October 13 8:40 pm
    janzam permalink

1 he is not anti-immigrant, he is anti-illegal immigrant. ok?

That’s what I meant!

68. 2009 October 13 8:40 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

CT, is that true? Because why would committee seats matter then?

If it is, Snowe could be singlehandedly responsible for this disaster. ARGH!

69. 2009 October 13 8:42 pm

Goodnight everyone…

GN, This is what I think will happen, and I do think it will touch off a symphony of destruction if it does….

70. 2009 October 13 8:43 pm

night rwy!

71. 2009 October 13 8:43 pm

Jan – my problem with McCain is that he is trying to elect like minded moderate republicans across the country in solid Red States. He does everything he can do undermine conservatives. He was the one during the campaign that said if elected “zero” would be ok and not a radical. McCain was never a foot soldier in the Reagan Revolution.

McCain has been right on the war on terrorism and wrong on everything else.

72. 2009 October 13 8:48 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Yep RWY, it appears she will soley responsible if this bill passes. Our weak Republican leadership most likely passes out committee assignments based on seniority.

I have no doubt this woman ran as a Conservative. Anybody know of her early years?

73. 2009 October 13 8:51 pm

gnqanq

McCain is stubborn in his beliefs. Some of them are right and others wrong.

However, when he speaks out against HC, how Obama is dithering in Afghanistan, when he calls the dims out on their spending I am glad he is where he is.

Very few republicans are as outspoken as he is on some of these important issues. So, in my book, he holds a place in the party during these precarious times. He can recruit all he wants, as the people will end up voting for who they want,anyway. So, him putting his finger into the political pie doesn’t bother me all that much.

74. 2009 October 13 8:52 pm

Tony

Snowe comes from a ridiculously liberal state. I think she has always presented herself as a “liberal” Republican, otherwise a dim would be in her spot right now.

75. 2009 October 13 8:53 pm
    janzam permalink

I’m turning the computer off and washing dishes. Good night everyone!

76. 2009 October 13 9:13 pm
    BCL permalink

#
    2009 October 13 8:34 pm
    janzam permalink

I haven’t read this thread, just the last bits. Like rwy said, he’s anti-illegal immigration. He spent a fortune clearing himself of those bogus charges. What you up to Jan?

77. 2009 October 13 9:37 pm
    BCL permalink

McCain sucks..he does more damage than good. I cant stand the bastard.

78. 2009 October 13 10:47 pm

bewildered why some are acting surprised at this outrage, you knew it was coming.

79. 2009 October 13 11:29 pm
    mpthompson permalink

I don’t think I’m surprised at the vote. What irks the hell out of me is the fact the Republican party seems to be doing what it always does — just shrugs its shoulders and shuffles along. Where are the GOP leaders condemning Snowe’s vote and where are the consequences?

And these are the folks that are supposed to save us 2010? Put a fork in our ass because we’re done.

80. 2009 October 14 6:56 am