Thanksgiving

2009 November 26

The Patriot Post takes us from our early days as a colony to our present time as a nation.  This is an excerpt–there is much more at their column:

1620-Pilgrims

Account of the First Harvest Feast and Thanksgiving

On 11 December 1620, prior to disembarking at Plymouth Rock, they signed the Mayflower Compact, America’s original document of civil government. It was the first to introduce self-government, and the foundation on which the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were built. Governor William Bradford described the Compact as “a combination … that when they came a shore they would use their owne libertie; for none had power to command them.”

Upon landing, the Pilgrims conducted a prayer service and quickly turned to building shelters. Under harrowing conditions, the colonists persisted through prayer and hard work, but the Winter of 1621 was devastating and only 53 of the original party survived.

However, with the help of the indigenous “Indians” in the region, by Autumn of 1621 the Pilgrims had enough produce to hold a three day feast and time of thanksgiving….

Endeavoring to improve the production at Plymouth Plantation, in 1622 Bradford implemented a collectivist policy, which almost destroyed the rest of the Plymouth settlement….

Bradford wrote that his plan undermined the incentive to produce, noting that it “was found to breed much confusion and discontent, and retard much employment that would have been to their benefit and comfort.”

After the abysmal results in 1622, Bradford wrote that the Colony leaders contemplated, “how they might raise as much corn as they could, and obtain a better crop.”

They decided to trade their collectivist plan for a free market approach, and in 1623, Bradford wrote, “This had very good success, for it made all hands very industrious, so as much more corn was planted than otherwise would have been by any other means the Governor or any other could use. … Instead of famine now God gave them plenty and the face of things was changed, to the rejoicing of the hearts of many. … Any general want or famine hath not been amongst them since to this day.”…

The Colony celebrated a much greater Day of Thanksgiving in 1623.

After the Pilgrims were given liberty and incentive to be industrious, the Colony thrived, and by 1624, production was so abundant that the Colony exported corn back to England….

Autumn Leaves

My fellow Patriots, never in the history of our country has there been such an acute, coordinated and vicious assault upon our rights and upon the forms of government established to protect those rights. From individuals, to state governments, to federal institutions initiated at the dawn of our Constitution, nothing, absolutely nothing, is sacred to the current liberal hegemony occupying our nation’s capitol.

But take heart, for as George Washington wrote in the darkest days of our American Revolution, “We should never despair, our Situation before has been unpromising and has changed for the better, so I trust, it will again. If new difficulties arise, we must only put forth new Exertions and proportion our Efforts to the exigency of the times.”

Of such exertions, Washington wrote, “It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors.”

So it is that on Thursday of this week, Thanksgiving Day, we are called to pause and take respite in order to acknowledge the divine intervention of our Creator throughout the history of this great nation; in order to recommit ourselves to obeisance of His will; in order to express our gratitude and give Him all thanks and praise for the bounty which He has bestowed the United States of America — land of the free, home of the brave, that shining city on the hill; and in order to all the more humbly implore that He protect us and grant us much favor in our coming struggle to re-establish Rule of Law over rule of men.

Engraved on William Bradford’s gravestone at Plymouth:

qua patres difficillime adepti sunt nolite turpiter relinquere

What our forefathers with so much difficulty secured,

do not basely relinquish.

__________
H/T: [The Patriot Post (PatriotPost.US)], CurrierandIves.info, HellasMultimedia, Wikipedia.

1. 2009 November 26 3:08 am
    Sharp2edgedsword permalink

LORD God,

We thank you for the blessings that you have bestowed upon us. The gift of salvation that your right arm has provided us. We thank you for our country and pray that people that are called by your name will humble themselves and seek your wisdom and guidance for themselves and for our country.

Thank you for our families and friends. Thank you for this blog and bless the bloggers and writers.

2. 2009 November 26 3:39 am

Gobble Gobble

Once again thank you all for starting and contributing to this blog and for the time and effort that it takes to run it and generating content for it.

3. 2009 November 26 5:34 am
    MDefl permalink

Thanks to all that run this site. It has been a source of sanity in a sea of craziness.

4. 2009 November 26 5:51 am
    MDefl permalink

I know this is a Thanksgiving thread but I Can’t help myself. BO had one of the defenders of the 9/11 terrorists on his show. The conclusion? There assessment of American foreign policy is negative.

jdfgewj9fdjvjvkw!!!gajoeskfjwdli;kfv

You couldn’t make this crap up in a movie. See for yourself:

5. 2009 November 26 6:08 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

May you turkey be done, your brood at the hearth, and your friends gathered ’round.

But stay forever vigilant, well maintained and your powder dry.

6. 2009 November 26 6:14 am

Poor George,

Ever since he had to flee New York it was his one abiding goal that he could assemble the forces required to take it back. He thought he had his chance when the French arrived only to be rebuffed. Good thing too, it lead to the loss at Yorktown for the RedCoats.

A jubilant affair in New York for sure. But I have the feeling that even in the parade, Washington probably felt incomplete that it was peace, not victory that led to that faithful day.

7. 2009 November 26 6:21 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Well, the goal of independence was realized, and why have more slaughter than strictly needed?

We wanted them gone, they left, we had won. Better to have driven them off, maybe, but gone is gone.

8. 2009 November 26 6:24 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Rush had this occurrence recorded in his book “The way things ought to be.” back in 1992.

The first thing the English settlers learned in the New World was “communism does not work”.

And let us never forget that.

9. 2009 November 26 6:26 am
    phineas gage permalink

So why does that lesson have to be learned over and over and over, at the cost of untold human lives and misery, and possibly our own Republic?

The other part of ‘communism does not work’ is ‘evil does not sleep’

10. 2009 November 26 6:31 am
    retlaw permalink

Hi all,
    Passing this along to everyone.
    (Not original–came from an email my wife got.)

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving …..

May your stuffing be tasty. May your turkey be plump.
    May your potatoes ‘ n gravy have nary a lump.
    May your yams be delicious. May your pies take the prize.
    May your Thanksgiving dinner stay off of your thighs.

MAY YOU ALL HAVE A BLESSED THANKSGIVING!

11. 2009 November 26 6:33 am
    Sharp2edgedsword permalink

May God bless and keep you always
    May your wishes all come true
    May you always do for others
    And let others do for you

Bob Dylan- forever young lyrics ( partial )

12. 2009 November 26 6:35 am

Sharp2edgedsword, thank you for that splendid prayer at the top of this thread. Amen.

God bless all here…and may God especially bless our men & women in uniform protecting us wherever they serve. That is the subject of my Cost of Freedom post tomorrow.

In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving to all…enjoy the day and the blessings that being an American brings…for now.

13. 2009 November 26 6:44 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Phin, another of Rush’s truisms: People’s historical reference begins when they are born.

In our wealth we have become lazy, and in our sloth we have become jealous. These emotions always lead to socialist impulse.

We have been prosperous for 30 years, and in that time come to expect it, and thus have ceased striving for it.

Some of us.

So now, we learn again. Just like the WW2 generation that learned that war cannot be avoided by shirking, and it cost them all they had to give.

But at least they willingly, and even eagerly, paid that price, and learned that lesson, to secure liberty for their children. Let us resolve the same. We will pay our debt to history, even if the cost is bitter, and we will learn our lesson.

14. 2009 November 26 6:47 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

At least I hope we will.

15. 2009 November 26 6:53 am

excellent comment #13, rwy. And so true.

On every front, foreign and domestic, so many Americans (and especially those below 25) are about to learn that there truly is NOT any such thing as a free lunch!

Those that already understand this fact are busy preparing…

16. 2009 November 26 7:01 am
    MI Conservative permalink

What am I thankful for?

17. 2009 November 26 7:04 am

MI,

Hear! Hear!

18. 2009 November 26 7:07 am

RWY, 7,

In some aspects Washington loathed the British. Probably more a desire for vindication than anything else I guess. We won, they lost, turned out for the good.

19. 2009 November 26 7:09 am

and we, truly, are thankful for all of y’all! A great group of Patriots…with a huge task ahead of us: 2010.

At the close of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, Benjamin Franklin was approached by a man who asked him:
    Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?
    Franklin replied:
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

2010…will we keep it?

20. 2009 November 26 7:24 am
    phineas gage permalink

As I recall, it was a woman asking the question.

Whatever, it’s a great story, although perhaps apocryphal.

It truly is the question of the day. Maybe it should be rephrased as ‘what have we got, a Republic or a soft Tyranny?’

21. 2009 November 26 7:32 am
    phineas gage permalink

BTW, did you notice that Dear Leader screwed even this up in his ‘message’ yesterday, stating that Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the first Thanksgiving?

What a moron.

I’m sure he and all his leftist buddies believe it, too.

22. 2009 November 26 7:32 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I don’t plan on giving up or leaving. And I know there are many like me. So, we will see.

23. 2009 November 26 7:33 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Obama needs to get off Abraham Lincoln. It makes Americans sick to hear the comparison.

24. 2009 November 26 7:37 am

thx for the correction, pg…you’re right it was attributed to a woman asking the question.

and yup to rwy too…I am sick unto death of the media proclaiming (and Obama embracing) the notion of Obama as Lincoln. Frankly, if he could Abraham Lincoln would rise from the grave and kick Obama’s ass out of the White House! Instead it will ultimately be left to us! 👿

25. 2009 November 26 7:41 am
    phineas gage permalink

Assuming the communists pass their agenda, can the GOP run under a Repeal Tyranny and Restore Liberty banner?

It’s got to be something that will bring everyone–conservatives, independents, squishy moderates, socons, fiscons etc together into a unified group to undo what is being done to our nation.

26. 2009 November 26 7:43 am

I read a small book called Dust Bowl Diary.It was amazing.The tiniest thing meant so much. A new dress for school made of flour bags that had designs on them. Giving neighbors a jar of milk and some bread to take home.Nothing was taken for granted.
    But be warned do not read this book without a box of kleenex next to you.

Survival in the Storm: The Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards, Dalhart, Texas 1935 (Dear America Series)

27. 2009 November 26 7:44 am

I hope the GOP is as smart as you, pg. But I doubt they are!

I’m going to order my Gadsden flag soon!! For 2010 I will fly that instead of the Stars & Stripes.

28. 2009 November 26 7:45 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

They can Phineas, but the question is will they? I doubt it.

29. 2009 November 26 7:46 am
    phineas gage permalink

‘A new dress for school made of flour bags’

If the leftists have their way that is exactly where we are going.

30. 2009 November 26 7:47 am
    phineas gage permalink

I do too, rwy.

There are no leaders, unless Palin steps forward in a big way.

Even there, the media has done it’s best to Quayle her. They haven’t quite succeeded, but they have done a lot of damage.

31. 2009 November 26 7:48 am
    phineas gage permalink

Justrand, I’ll be flying the original ‘Don’t Tread On Me’ flag.

32. 2009 November 26 8:55 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I love the Gadsden flag. Stars and Stripes, and the GF underneath it, as a caution to tyrants.

33. 2009 November 26 8:58 am

Welcome, gatekeeper!

34. 2009 November 26 9:02 am
    TLS permalink

“We have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us.”

Abraham Lincoln’s 1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation

Funny that Obama thinks he is Lincoln because it appears to me that Obama is exactly who Lincoln was talking about.

And I am happy to report that after a loooooong sleepless night, my son’s fever broke. He is not out of the woods yet, as our concern is the deep cough in his lungs, but he has been 102 for 2 days. So it appears that he is on the up side. I have much to be thankful for.

God bless you all and this great country!!

35. 2009 November 26 9:05 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Great news, TLS, rest, and recover.

36. 2009 November 26 9:06 am

Thank you Tim for the prayer in post #1. A big AMEN to that.

I am truly thankful for all of my wonderful family and friends. For my salvation, for my health. For the roof over my head, and food on the table. For a strong happy marriage, and kids who have strong values and morals. For my Dad who I love with all my heart and have nothing but respect for. For the honorable soldiers courageously standing guard to protect not only me, but the freedoms I enjoy. For my neighbors, because they watch out for my home, and bring me my favorite pie on my birthday. For my Grandpa whose comforting words stuck with me so much that I have used them to comfort others countless times. For many other things too personal to mention, and things that echo the common thought of thankfulness shared throughout the country today. Thankful for this land that I love, and the good Lord who protects it. Amen.

37. 2009 November 26 9:15 am

My dear sweet daughter just said it all…so much better than I could have (just substitute “my Daughter” for “my Dad”, of course!)

TLS…that is splendid news, and truly to be thankful for! And your calling out Lincoln’s words as EXACTL describing our Vanity in Chief, is perfect!

God bless all. My Cost of Freedom will go up as if by magic tomorrow! (assuming JM magically schedules it! 🙂 ). I will be light blogging on Saturday and then back in the saddle (metaphorically) by Noon on Sunday!

38. 2009 November 26 9:21 am

TLS- praise God. I will keep your family in my prayers.

39. 2009 November 26 3:12 pm
    INC permalink

Sharp, thanks for your prayer–what a wonderful way to begin this thread!

TLS–I’m so glad your boy is doing better!

40. 2009 November 26 4:34 pm
    INC permalink

From Seraphic Secret:

Thanksgiving: Hope Fulfilled

41. 2009 November 26 4:51 pm
    INC permalink

On William Bradford’s gravestone at Plymouth:

qua patres difficillime adepti sunt nolite turpiter relinquere

“What our forefathers with so much difficulty secured, do not basely relinquish.”

42. 2009 November 26 5:47 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

at least not without bloodshed, we won’t relinquish it….