Cornyn to Conservatives: “Yield to Reality”

2009 December 23
Most conservatives don’t have a problem with what John Cornyn says – basically it’s tough to elect conservatives in deep blue states like Delaware. But, on the other hand, we want our political contributions to be used to support true conservatives, which is why it is so important to donate to individual candidates or to SarahPAC rather than to the GOP.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), the man in charge of getting Republicans elected to the Senate next year, said yesterday that right-wing members of his party eager to enforce conservative purity need to “yield to reality” if they want to win seats in 2010.

In a Reuters story about the Delaware Senate race, where Cornyn and the NRSC are backing Rep. Mike Castle in his run for Vice President Biden’s old Senate seat, Cornyn says that moderates like Castle are what the party needs to win in areas where the Democrats are strong. That flies in the face of the conservative-or-nothing strategy pushed by the Club For Growth and others in states like Florida and Pennsylvania.

Cornyn told Reuters:

Folks on the right, and frankly I’m one of them in terms of voting record, have to yield to the world as it is and not necessarily how they wish it would be. In Delaware, Cornyn said, that reality is that a candidate more conservative than Castle simply can’t win. And on a number of levels, Castle is exactly the kind of Republican conservative groups hate. He voted for the cap-and-trade bill in the House and told Reuters he faced boos when he dismissed birther conspiracy theories as nonsense. Castle says he expects to face more criticism from the right, but said the push for conservative purity will cost the GOP a governing coalition.

Full article.

Hat tip: TPM

d822769f175f406e1.jpg picture by bc3bchaffee1.jpg picture by bc3b

Mike Castle and Lincoln Chaffee. Just by looking at some people you can tell that they’re about four innings short of a complete game. Ain’t  that right Linc?

1. 2009 December 23 1:29 pm

Gee Senator Cornyn, I’d love to help Mike Castle. But this is the weekend I’m having my annual holiday bake sale for Lincoln Chaffee. He is the only one who can save our country.

2. 2009 December 23 1:48 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

After the Dede Scuzball fiasco I am not sending Coryn or Boehner any money. Does not matter what they say — I will send my money directly to conservative candidates. The Rino’s in the liberal states are own their own. I also am no longer sending money to the GOP/RNC. Politically I am a conservative first.

3. 2009 December 23 1:57 pm
    Brandon permalink

Let’s see, Mike Castle or little Beau Biden…yeah not a tough choice.

4. 2009 December 23 1:58 pm

Yes, Judy there is a disconnect between the GOP leadership and the base.

5. 2009 December 23 1:59 pm

Brandon –

Don’t get me wrong. I want Mike Castle to win. But, I have limited resources, so I would rather direct my contributions to Michele Bachman, Marco Rubio, SarahPAC, etc.

I am particularly sensitive about Michele Bachmann since the NRCC cut off her funding last year.

6. 2009 December 23 2:02 pm

SarahPac
    Jim Demint
    Richard Burr

I would also contribute to defeat Harry Reid.

That’s about it for me.

7. 2009 December 23 2:14 pm
    brucefdb permalink

SarahPac will cover most of the good guys mullet….I think that is the way to go with most of your $$$.

Now if someone tries to primary Johnny McCain I would think about a few bucks their way.

8. 2009 December 23 2:18 pm
    Brandon permalink

9. 2009 December 23 2:25 pm

In my view, the priority must be to defeat these so-called democrat moderates in red states, and there are plenty of them. Conservatives in their place would make a world of difference.

And yes, the McCains and Grahams need to go.

10. 2009 December 23 2:25 pm

Pursuing Blue Dogs makes a lot of sense. My guess is that Blue Dogs would become more conservative if they were Republicans.

11. 2009 December 23 2:26 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

The NRSC can blow it out. Don’t worry about them, they have plenty of money to waste on races where the GOP can’t win, or if they do it won’t make a damn bit of difference. And they will gladly starve conservatives of campaign money to do it.

Give to conservatives directly.

Castle will vote for amnesty and to turn Texas blue. So whether he wins or not doesnt matter, he can’t wait to hand power over to the Dems forever.

How is Castle better than Biden exactly? Explain how. Someone who trashes his own party, and votes for the economic slavery of his constituents, is not someone I want my money going to.

Let the GOP remain a loose alliance of right and center left, that can shatter at any time. Better that than put all our eggs into the leftist basket as these assclowns will do.

Look at NJ. Does anyone really think anything will change in NJ? No.

The only value in a Christie win was that it gave a few Dems pause for about 48 hours.

Other than that, Corzine might as well have won.

12. 2009 December 23 2:27 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

McCain wants more center-left Rs to rip the R party away from the conservatives. That’s all.

13. 2009 December 23 2:28 pm
    Brandon permalink

Castle is a vote for a Republican majority leader.

14. 2009 December 23 2:29 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Pursuing Blue Dogs makes a lot of sense.

No, beating them in general elections with conservatives, makes more sense. The Blue Dogs in the house are all chanting that they’ll rubber stamp Obamacare.

good. Makes them easier to beat.

15. 2009 December 23 2:31 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Castle is a vote for a Republican majority leader.

He is a vote to turn Texas blue, destroying the R party for a hundred years. He is a vote to send unemployment to 15% with cap and tax.

And the R party gets the blame for it, when it happens.

I’m done arguing with you.

16. 2009 December 23 2:32 pm
    Brandon permalink

Yeah, let’s support Beau Biden. That’s the ticket. You want to be in the minority forever, I get it, just so we can stay “pure”.

17. 2009 December 23 2:33 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

It’s a blue state, so what happens in DE doesnt really matter. If an R wins, he’ll still vote with the Dems anyway.

Job 1 for the Rs is to run righties in the Red states. I care a hell of a lot more what happens in Co and Fl, and Az, than I do what happens in NJ, DE, and CA.

18. 2009 December 23 2:34 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Done arguing with you, Mr. “the GOP needs to provide health care and education to Americans to win elections”…..

19. 2009 December 23 2:34 pm
    Brandon permalink

How are you going to ever get to 51 senators without winning in blue states? The Democrats win in red states, so why can’t we win in blue states?

20. 2009 December 23 2:35 pm
    Brandon permalink

21. 2009 December 23 2:37 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

WTF does this mean?

“Why did it take Republicans so long to raise this argument? Ensign reminds us that Sen. Orrin Hatch (R., Utah) has been arguing along this line for months. “We were going to make this motion a few weeks ago, but we were in a parliamentary situation where you couldn’t offer this as long as a motion to recommit was pending business. We had to wait for those kind of things to clear.”

Anyone?

Translation to english?

Sounds like an excuse to me….

22. 2009 December 23 2:37 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

We can win in blue states, boy, that is not the question.

There are 30 or 32 red states, 2008 excepted. That’s more than 51 Senators.

tell me genius: If we get 51 R Senators, and 8 of them are Castles and Chafees, is the Senate still even remotely center right?

Is it?

We JUST LEARNED THIS LESSON in 2008. How many times do you want to get smacked in the face with the same left hook?

23. 2009 December 23 2:42 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

The plan is this:

1. Win the red states for conservatives. No RINOS is red states. They get money first.
    2. Get the most conservative candidate you can get for the blue states. Christie may have been it in NJ, and that is sad. If Castle is it in De, fine. But he gets second priority in funding, because ANY IDIOT KNOWS IF HE WINS, HE WILL VOTE WITH THE DEMS 70% OF THE TIME ANYWAY.
    3. Never stop discrediting the left and proving them wrong. This is the only way to move the RINOS to the right.

24. 2009 December 23 2:43 pm

Normally, by this time in December, I am usually mellow, charitable, and deep in the spirit of Christmas. It is a favorite time of the year, and always makes me a better person during the season, if not all the next year.

This year is different. I am angry and stressed. I find I have no patience with crowds and traffic, especially cars with Obama signs on them. I have never walked by a Salvation Army kettle without putting a couple of bucks in it. This year I have.

Not good.

25. 2009 December 23 2:44 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

But you have to be conservative to want to see this plan succeed, and the R party is not even remotely conservative.

What is the point of electing Rs exactly? So we can stop health care, then pass amnesty, turn 8 more states blue, lose congress again, and get health care all over again?

That’s what McCain and Graham want to do…

26. 2009 December 23 2:46 pm

Good point Yahoo:
    – Arkansas, North Dakota, Montana: 2 Dem Senators
    – Indiana, Florida and Ohio: A Democrat and a RINO
    – South Dakota, Nevada and North Carolina: 1 Democrat
    – West Virginia: 2 Democrats (one ow whom may die soon)

Just with these changes the GOP would control the Senate

27. 2009 December 23 2:47 pm

Yahoo –

If we can recruit enough Blue Dogs to stop HC in the House, it’s worth it. I hate it when I sound like a moderate.

28. 2009 December 23 2:50 pm
    Brandon permalink

#27. It’s not being a moderate, it’s being a pragmatist.

29. 2009 December 23 2:57 pm
    Brandon permalink

And if the primary voters then decide to primary the party switchers then so be it. Ultimately, it should be up to the voters.

30. 2009 December 23 3:05 pm

rwy: “Job 1 for the Rs is to run righties in the Red states”

In CA, NY and NJ we can run all the Lincoln Chaffees we want…I won’t support ’em, but I’ll vote for ’em if they get the nomination. THAT part helps with the total numbers which we need for Chairmanships and control of the Senate!

BUT, in Red States we have no business running anything but a Conservative…THAT part helps with things like filibusters (until we do have a majority). And we have no business with North eff’ing Dakota have TWO Democrat Senators!!! They pretend to be Moderate/Conservative every time they get within a year of re-election!

Here endeth the lesson!

31. 2009 December 23 3:11 pm

Justrand –

“They pretend to be Moderate/Conservative every time they get within a year of re-election!”

You could say the same thing about Graham, McCain, Hatch, Bennett, Cornyn, Hutchison, Alexander, Lugar and a bunch more Republicans.

32. 2009 December 23 3:12 pm

sigh…yes you could!

33. 2009 December 23 3:26 pm

Yo Cornyn! How’s that reality on the ground for a match up between Rubio and Crist? You willing to yield to the facts that Rubio has the lead dude??

34. 2009 December 23 3:27 pm
    Brandon permalink

Well Rubio technically doesn’t have the lead……yet.

35. 2009 December 23 3:31 pm

Heck, nowadays you need 60 to get anything done. How will you get to 60 senators? What is your plan? — Brandon

NO! Learn the lesson. All it takes is 12-14 Senators to lock the place up. You just need a Gang of XX. That’s the lesson.

Never, Never think that either party having power of 60 is good for the populace. You want DC in grid lock, both houses, totally. Fact that is what the Founders thought was the worse case. Sadly they were wrong, but that is a different post for a different time.

/rant over

36. 2009 December 23 3:34 pm

Give it time. He’s doing better at the ground game.

By the way, Kay Barely Republican is spending like a drunk out here in Texas. Has already pulled the Cheney card in on-air ads. This early must mean she’s trailing bad.

37. 2009 December 23 3:41 pm

drdog09 –

Don’t forget: ‘Cuda’s coming. And, with Sarah and Kay it’s very, very personal.

Think Sarah can outdraw Dick Cheney? You betcha. Whom would you rather see: the boring old guy or the charismatic hot chick?

I can hear Sarah now labeling Kay Barely as a “Washington insider,” who would bring her big spending ways to the state house.

Cheney is liberal on many social issues. He represents the party’s past; Palin represents its future.

38. 2009 December 23 4:04 pm

Brandon, if I came on a little strong, I apologize.

39. 2009 December 23 4:05 pm

BC,

Could not agree more.

40. 2009 December 23 4:26 pm
    MFG permalink

BBLC

41. 2009 December 23 6:16 pm

23 – Dead on. That is the priority, money to cons in red states first! If the ‘liberals’ like castle want to run in DE that’s all well and good, but not at the expense of real conservative republicans in red or pink states.

42. 2009 December 23 6:33 pm
    MDefl permalink

I see there was a frum invasion here. I agree – fund Castle and Kirk after funding real conservatives.

The conservative party (notice I did not R party) needs to recruit young, fresh candidates and run them for school boards, county commissioner jobs, etc…in blue states. The movement needs to be built from the ground up. We have not been very good at that unfortunately and are now stuck with RINOs in blue states. This is a long-term project.

However, we can immediately begin to take back red states where there should not be a blue senator. This can be done in the next 2 cycles.

43. 2009 December 23 6:44 pm

Mdefl –

You do realize that my comment #1 is dripping with sarcasm.

44. 2009 December 23 6:49 pm
    MDefl permalink

Got it Sarge!

45. 2009 December 23 6:58 pm
    MDefl permalink

I see ? sent her little boy here today. Sad.