Inhofe Wants Hearings On ClimateGate

2009 December 1

Today, the ranking Republican member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, Senator Jim Inhofe, wrote a letter to Senator Barbara Boxer, Chairman of the Committee.  I think Senator Inhofe intends to keep Senator Boxer and the AGW alarmists in hot water as he pours cold water on their proposed bills and propaganda.  That way Senator Boxer will be ready for whatever comes next with Climate Change–rising seas or the new ice age!  Here’s an excerpt from the letter.

Dear Chairman Boxer:

The recent disclosure of emails between several prominent climatologists—including the authors of temperature records used by the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)—raises a number of issues, including the following: 1) potential violations of federal and state information disclosure laws; 2) a possible conspiracy by scientists, some of whom receive or have received US taxpayer funds, to stifle open, transparent debate on the most pressing issues of climate science; 3) an apparent coordinated effort to distort and falsify data; and 4) the appearance of a campaign to vilify scientists who question global warming alarmism….

In addition to these issues, the emails could have far-reaching policy implications, affecting everything from (to name a few) cap-and-trade legislation, state and regional climate change programs, the Environmental Protection Agency’s “Proposed Endangerment and Cause or Contribute Findings for Greenhouse Gases Under Section 202(a) of the Clean Air Act,” the US Global Change Research Program, global climate models used by federal agencies, the Department of Interior’s coordinated strategy to address climate change impacts, and international climate change negotiations.

Many of these policies and positions will have enormous economic impacts, not least the EPA’s proposed endangerment finding, which, when finalized, will lead to a torrent of new federal regulations that will destroy thousands of jobs and make electricity and gasoline more expensive for consumers and small businesses.  The same can be said for cap-and-trade legislation, including the very bill you introduced and reported to the full Senate, as well as the Waxman-Markey bill passed by the House in June.

In short, the stakes involved are of major consequence, and so I respectfully request that you hold hearings to examine the suite of issues involved, including whether laws were broken, key studies compromised, proposed regulations undermined, and taxpayer-funded climate change research deliberately obscured or manipulated….

Here are the members of the U. S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.  Call them and tell them you want an investigation into ClimateGate!

The New York Times (via Planet Gore) quotes Senator Inhofe as saying he plans on going to Copenhagen if Barbara Boxer and John Kerry go.

I don’t want a group of people to tell the people of Copenhagen that the United States is going to pass some kind of a cap-and-trade bill. I want to be there, if I’m a one-man truth squad, to say: “No, that isn’t true. They don’t have the votes. We’re not going to pass it.”

The interview closes with this question and amusing answer:

When are you going to get a hybrid car?
Probably never. In Washington, my main car here is a 1987 Cadillac.

__________
H/T:  Minority Page, Press Releases, U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works; Planet Gore; The New York Times.

1. 2009 December 1 4:23 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Instapundit has a good link from an actual scientist today, slamming the transparently bogus “records gaming” that CRU performed.

This is the biggest lie in the history of science, except for you know what else.

And although the left will ignore it, the people are getting smarter faster than they are.

We don’t believe them anymore.

2. 2009 December 1 4:25 pm

1987 Caddy? What? Hasn’t he heard that there was a cash for clunker deal going? No Corinthian Leather interior tho….

3. 2009 December 1 4:28 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

I could never buy into the global warming climate change mantra because when I was a young mushy head, teenaged liberal the data about the coming ice age was all the rage. I wrote most of my term papers on the subject and read just about every book I could find on the subject. Ah… the folly of youth.

I realize it isn’t a concept that most humans want to consider, but human life of this planet is precarious at best. One nice solar flare and we are all toast. God is no respecter of persons.

4. 2009 December 1 4:30 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

What amazes me is that CRU threw away the unmanipulated data that they then twisted/manipulated around to demonstrate global warming. There is no way to get back to the original data for further analysis.

5. 2009 December 1 4:34 pm

And I’d like supermodel wife who would put with all my chit, cook, clear, bare me some rugrats and treat me like a king… doesn’t mean it’s realistic. 😉

Ditto #3 minus the term paper and god stuff. 🙂

I’d be far more worried if I were scientists on poll reversals\magnetic shield loss or say yellowstone getting around to exploding again then a little global warming and cooling cycle.

6. 2009 December 1 4:35 pm

-Meant to add in first part of that Boxer will not do jack.

7. 2009 December 1 4:36 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Bear you some rugrats.

Baring rugrats is what gets you tossed in the joint…

8. 2009 December 1 4:38 pm

bare me some rugrats

Nocturnal raptor– msn smileys

9. 2009 December 1 4:40 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Yeah, there will be no hearings from this congress. The next one, however, might be a different story….

10. 2009 December 1 4:41 pm

Bear Bare …screwed up clean with ‘clear’, what else is new 😉

11. 2009 December 1 4:42 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Dood, get your head out… 😀

12. 2009 December 1 4:46 pm
    INC permalink

Throwing away data was a surprise to me. I thought they were cherry-picking, but didn’t know until last week they’d been throwing things out as well.

13. 2009 December 1 4:47 pm

But I like it there… 😉

14. 2009 December 1 4:49 pm
    INC permalink

Inhofe closed his letter with this gem:

As we have on other issues before the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, I look forward to working together on this important matter.

Is this the same man who told Boxer the other week, We Won, You Lost, Now Get A Life!?!?

15. 2009 December 1 4:50 pm

Well to be fair, at least in so far as the early 80’s records dump when they moved I’m not convinced that part was intentional on the part of those that got rid of it back then. That doesn’t negate the problem of not having that original data.

16. 2009 December 1 4:54 pm

Barbara boxer, where boners go to die.

17. 2009 December 1 4:56 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Makes you wonder…..

The scientific community loves to pose as impartial. Now that that cover has been blown off, you wonder what else has been subject to editorial discretion?

18. 2009 December 1 4:57 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Hey, there’s that super-subtle IP727 again!

19. 2009 December 1 4:57 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

Here is the brutal truth about CrappyCare – it will get you killed sooner! Finally, a GOPer with the gonads to say!:

“A Republican senator contended Tuesday during rancorous floor debate that President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul will shorten the lives of America’s seniors by cutting Medicare.

“I have a message for you: You’re going to die sooner,” said Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., an obstetrician-turned-lawmaker.”

Yeah, I have that we got the two best Senators in the Union here in Oklahoma!

Keep givin’ them Commies hell Senator Coburn and Senator Inhofe!!!

20. 2009 December 1 5:02 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

good one, WEC….

21. 2009 December 1 5:14 pm
    mpthompson permalink

I have a feeling the emails, program code and reports that were leaked are just the tip of the iceberg. As more pressure is brought to bear I have a feeling a number of scientists will jump the AGW ship and start exposing even more wrong doing just to save their own skins/careers. I very much doubt there will much “honor among thieves” amongst this crowd. These shenanigans are certain to have created an atmosphere where scientists just went along to get along which of course builds hidden resentment just waiting to be uncorked. Such resentment was probably the source of the actual leak by a disgruntled person on the inside.

22. 2009 December 1 5:21 pm
    INC permalink

Good points, mpt.

There’s bound to be quite a bit of professional jealousy and competition for federal grants and other monies for research.