In Defense of Life: Roe v. Wade

2010 January 22

Today is the 37th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States.  Since January 22, 1973, over 50,000,000 lives have ended by abortion.

Last year Robert P. George, J.D., D.Phil., McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University, founder of the American Principles Project and member of the Drafting Committee of the Manhattan Declaration made these remarks in his speech, Our Struggle for the Soul of Our Nation:

…In the name of a generalized “right to privacy” allegedly implicit in the Due Process Clause of the Constitution’s Fourteenth Amendment, seven justices created a license to kill the unborn….

They were wrong about the Constitution. As William H. Rehnquist and Byron White, the two dissenting justices in the case, pointed out, it is absurd to claim that a right to feticide follows from the constitutional injunction that “no state shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.” If the Constitution can be read to imply anything about abortion, it is that unborn human beings are, like everyone else, entitled to “the equal protection of the laws.” At a minimum, Roe and Doe were an outrageous usurpation of the constitutional authority of the people of the United States to shape law and policy through the institutions of representative government.

The Roe justices were also wrong to imagine that legal abortion would prove to be enlightened or in the slightest respect humane. On the contrary, the policy imposed by the Court has proven to be an unmitigated disaster. In the thirty-six years since Roe and Doe, abortion has taken the lives of more than fifty million unborn victims—each a distinct, unique, precious human being. It has done immeasurable moral, psychological, and sometimes physical harm to women who are so very often, and in so many respects, truly abortion’s “secondary victims.” It has corrupted physicians and nurses by turning healers into killers. It has undermined the moral authority of the law by its injustice. It has abetted irresponsible—even predatory—male sexual behavior. Far from reducing the rate of out-of-wedlock births, particularly to poor women, illegitimacy has skyrocketed in the age of abortion. Now the abortion license has metastasized into widespread elite support for deadly embryo experimentation and even, in my home state of New Jersey, to the express legalization of the horrific and grisly practice of fetal farming—the creation of human beings by cloning or other processes for the purpose of harvesting their tissues and organs at any point up to birth for experimentation and transplantation.

The justices were wrong, moreover, to suppose that America, as a nation, would learn to live with the abortion license. A notable effect of the Court’s rulings was to energize the grassroots pro-life movement that had come into being a few years earlier to resist legislative efforts to liberalize state abortion laws….

Pro-life groups have proliferated and branched out into many demographic niches over the years as pro-life advocates endeavored through protests, political action, counseling, education, clinics and provision for various needs to help those in a crisis pregnancy choose life, as well as to provide support for women dealing with the bitter aftermath of abortion.  Tens of thousands of pro-life advocates will be in Washington, D.C. to March for Life today.  The first march in 1974 drew some 20,000, and numbers have increased to 200,000 and more.

Abortion as an issue marks one of the greatest divides between political parties.  In 1976, the first Republican National Convention held after Roe had in its platform an endorsement of the “efforts of those who seek a constitutional amendment to restore protection of the right to life for unborn children.” The Republican platform has remained pro-life while pro-life Democrats have been increasingly marginalized by their party, and today will be met with increasing skepticism by those in the pro-life movement after Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska’s vote for the Senate health care bill in December, 2009.

The contrast between parties in reflected in a stark contrast between presidents.  Prior to the 2008 election, Robert George wrote regarding Obama’s Abortion Extremism, and Life News has compiled his record after the election in President Barack Obama’s Pro-Abortion Record: A Pro-Life CompilationJill Stanek, who as a nurse in the Labor & Delivery Department at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, Illinois, discovered that babies who had survived abortion were being left to die without medical attention.  She has given verbal and written testimony to the U.S. Congress and to several state legislatures.  She knew Obama when he was in the Illinois legislature and has detailed Obama’s opposition to the Illinois Born Alive Infant Protection Act at her website.

Compare Obama’s activities with those of another president.

In 1983, President Ronald Reagan wrote Abortion and the Conscience of the Nation.  I want to close with this excerpt from his work:

The real question today is not when human life begins, but, What is the value of human life? The abortionist who reassembles the arms and legs of a tiny baby to make sure all its parts have been torn from its mother’s body can hardly doubt whether it is a human being. The real question for him and for all of us is whether that tiny human life has a God-given right to be protected by the law — the same right we have….

The 1981 Senate hearings on the beginning of human life brought out the basic issue more clearly than ever before. The many medical and scientific witnesses who testified disagreed on many things, but not on the scientific evidence that the unborn child is alive, is a distinct individual, or is a member of the human species. They did disagree over the value question, whether to give value to a human life at its early and most vulnerable stages of existence….

I have often said we need to join in prayer to bring protection to the unborn. Prayer and action are needed to uphold the sanctity of human life. I believe it will not be possible to accomplish our work, the work of saving lives, “without being a soul of prayer.” The famous British Member of Parliament, William Wilberforce, prayed with his small group of influential friends, the “Clapham Sect,” for decades to see an end to slavery in the British empire. Wilberforce led that struggle in Parliament, unflaggingly, because he believed in the sanctity of human life. He saw the fulfillment of his impossible dream when Parliament outlawed slavery just before his death.

Let his faith and perseverance be our guide. We will never recognize the true value of our own lives until we affirm the value in the life of others, a value of which Malcolm Muggeridge says:. . . however low it flickers or fiercely burns, it is still a Divine flame which no man dare presume to put out, be his motives ever so humane and enlightened.”

Abraham Lincoln recognized that we could not survive as a free land when some men could decide that others were not fit to be free and should therefore be slaves. Likewise, we cannot survive as a free nation when some men decide that others are not fit to live and should be abandoned to abortion or infanticide. My Administration is dedicated to the preservation of America as a free land, and there is no cause more important for preserving that freedom than affirming the transcendent right to life of all human beings, the right without which no other rights have any meaning.

__________
H/T: American Principles Project, Manhattan Declaration, March For Life, Republican National Coalition for Life, The Witherspoon Institute Public Discourse: Ethics, Law, and the Common Good, Life News, Jill Stanek, National Review.

Crossposted to J’s Cafe Nette and RedState Member Diaries.

1. 2010 January 22 5:28 am

Good piece INC. Hope all is well with kith and kin.

The greatest bang for the buck that pro-life groups could spend $$ on is pre-natal technology research. The better sonogram technology gets the lower the abortion rate will become.

2. 2010 January 22 5:49 am

(ot)
    Arizona GOP Primary(Rasmussen)

McCain: 53%
    Hayworth: 31%

Jan. 22 (Bloomberg) — U.S. investors overwhelmingly see President Barack Obama as anti-business and question his ability to manage a financial crisis, according to a Bloomberg survey.

3. 2010 January 22 6:14 am

4. 2010 January 22 6:15 am

New survey shows youth becoming more pro-life

New Haven, Conn., Jan 21, 2010 / 07:44 pm (CNA).- Just one day before the March for Life in Washington D.C. and the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, a new survey shows that the number of Americans who say they are pro-life is continuing to grow. Members of the Millennial generation say abortion is “morally wrong” at a rate of 58 percent.

The survey, which was conducted between December 2009 and January 2010, was co-sponsored by the Knights of Columbus and the Marists. It asked, among other things, if abortion was “morally wrong.”

Fifty-six percent of Americans said they thought that abortion was indeed “morally wrong.”

The survey shows that Americans are becoming more pro-life, but more importantly, it showed that the upcoming generations are more pro-life than those nearing retirement.

The “Millennials,” as the generation of 18-29 year-olds is called, responded that abortion is morally wrong at a rate of 58 percent. Sixty percent of those belonging to “Generation X,” or people between 30 and 44, also fell in the pro-life camp.

“Americans of all ages – and younger people in even greater numbers than their parents – see abortion as something morally wrong,” said Supreme Knight Carl Anderson.

“America has turned a corner and is embracing life – and in doing so is embracing a future they – and all of us – can be proud of,” Anderson commented.

“Baby Boomers,” or people between the ages of 45 and 64, are less likely to call abortion morally reprehensible, with 51% saying abortion is wrong.

Those over age 65 said abortion is immoral at a rate of 60 percent.

“Advances in technology, show clearly – and ever more clearly – that an unborn child is completely a human being,” Anderson pointed out. “The majority of Americans now understand that abortion has consequences, and that those consequences are not good.”

5. 2010 January 22 6:16 am

KH,

I feel sorry for the HHR today!!! LOL

6. 2010 January 22 6:19 am

INC,

It’s 50,000,000 not 500,000,000. Please correct

7. 2010 January 22 6:21 am

Guys,

Let this thread simmer for a while. Really drive the RINOs nuts today

8. 2010 January 22 6:22 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Inc, Thanks for the post. I remember my father (who died in 1979) fighting in Michigan in the early 1970’s to defeat an abortion ballot in Michigan in November.

Then January rolled around and the SCOTUS changed conventional wisdom. I never seen my dad so mad in all my life. He had a monthly article in the local newspaper every month supporting life and was attacked visciously by pro-abortion fans.

I was about 16 and just became an Eagle Scout. Had my picture in the paper. I received a letter at 16 by a pro-abortion lady.

Unsigned naturally—– but asked me: “How can an Eagle scout have such a f…… stupid father.”

Pray for life!

9. 2010 January 22 6:22 am

“’The healthcare bill as currently written will unravel long-standing federal policy by allowing public funds to be used for abortion. Because of the magnitude of this threat, this year’s national March for Life will be the most important in history. We created the Virtual March for Life to encourage people to be here tomorrow and to give voice to countless Americans who can’t be in Washington but wish they could. We are encouraging everyone to click and be heard,’ said Dr. Charmaine Yoest, President and CEO of Americans United for Life Action.

“This list now includes:

* Governor Sarah Palin

* Governor Mike Huckabee

* Gov. Rick Perry

* Sen. John McCain

* Dr. James Dobson, Focus on the Family

* Tony Perkins, Family Research Council

* Sen. Jim DeMint

* Rep. John Boehner

* Rep. Mike Pence

* Rep. Eric Cantor

* Rep. Tom Price

* Marco Rubio, U.S. Senate candidate in Florida

10. 2010 January 22 6:23 am

Just think, had abortion not been codified about half of those saved would now be old enough to pay taxes. Hmmmmm.

11. 2010 January 22 6:25 am

This is a great thread!

12. 2010 January 22 6:26 am
    MI Conservative permalink

INC, I now apologize but want to post this also because it is off topic. As some of you know I am a huge hackey fan and wrote a book about it. Maybe this will give you a good laugh.

Don Cherry (former coach and now analyzer) announces for hockey night in Canada. You have to read this to believe what he said:

DON CHERRY of hockey night in Canada , was asked on a
    local live radio talk show, just what he thought about the allegations
    of torture of suspected terrorists. His reply prompted his ejection from the studio, but to thunderous applause from the audience.

HIS STATEMENT:

“If hooking up one raghead terrorist prisoner’s

testicles to a car battery to get the truth out of the lying little camelshagger will save just one Canadian life, then I have only three things to say:

‘Red is positive,

black is negative, and

make sure his nuts are wet’.”

13. 2010 January 22 6:33 am

You gotta love Don Cherry. Too bad you can’t get Hockey Night in Canada on the “west coast.”

There’s a chance the Wings won’t make the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

14. 2010 January 22 6:38 am
    MI Conservative permalink

bc-I hope they are still in the hunt come early April. It is the only time and I could make it down there this year. If they are out of it I probably won’t make the trip over. I have 4 tickets you can have Apr 7 (wed) if you want them if they are out of it!!

Should I just come down to go to Fishbones and Ol Shelaleigh. Maybe dinner at Sashas in Hamtramack?

15. 2010 January 22 6:41 am
    brucefdb permalink

This SCOTUS decision of McCain Feingold opens the door for more aggressive campaigning by right to life groups. It is a game changer.

16. 2010 January 22 6:47 am

MI Conservative –

My son spends a lot more time downtown than I do. Cheli’s (owned by Chris Chelois) is his favorite. It’s down by Hockeytown Cafe.

I think the Wings will be in the hunt, but the woods will be crowded as there are a lot of teams in the Western Division with similar point totals.

17. 2010 January 22 6:49 am

Sarah and Bristol Palin are on the cover of In Touch magazine with an article “We’re glad we chose life” at the supermarket checkout lanes.

18. 2010 January 22 6:52 am

Arizona GOP Primary(Rasmussen)

McCain: 53%
    Hayworth: 31%

That will change when McVain teams up with grahamnesty to push amnesty.

19. 2010 January 22 6:55 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Yea, I spent a lot of time in Hocketown before but only once in Chelis.

I am going to include Chelis in the Michigan Bar Book I’m writing. I absolutely loved the chili dogs I had there. The only problem is they sell only a few selection of beers. I’m sure Chris gets quite a price break from Budweiser and I am not a Bud drinker at all.

20. 2010 January 22 6:59 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Back on topic. One of my favorite vids on abortion. Eagles Wings

21. 2010 January 22 7:05 am

5 – Why?

22. 2010 January 22 7:07 am

18 – After the primary or the election year is over. 🙁

23. 2010 January 22 7:13 am

21. Because ? lurks here and takes out his/her frustrations out on the HHR. Like clockwork

24. 2010 January 22 7:16 am
    brucefdb permalink

McCain won’t back Amnesty, not this year. After this years election the votes wont be there for them. I hate to promote optimism though.

25. 2010 January 22 7:17 am

excellent thread, INC, and drdog’s point in comment #1 is spot on: the more people can SEE that the life inside the womb is a HUMAN BEING, the more reluctant (some) will be to destroy that life.

My own opinions on this have changed over time, and the time limits on its use, and justifiable reasons for abortion have narrowed down dramatically…to next to nothing. I still believe rape is one such justification, for I cannot ask a woman who has been violated to bear the child of the man who violated her. Beyond that…?

And as far as the timeframe…I used to believe the entire 1st tri-mester should be available for a non-rape decision on abortion. Now my own opinion is that the timeframe should be dramatically less…and eventually gone altogether.

26. 2010 January 22 7:20 am

27. 2010 January 22 7:23 am

23 – Nah ? being audited by the sec atm so thankfully ? has not be around except for a post or two at nite.

28. 2010 January 22 7:46 am
    MFG permalink

Great post INC

You’ve done a wonderful job with this series!

29. 2010 January 22 8:08 am

30. 2010 January 22 8:09 am

27. Believe that at your own peril KH.

31. 2010 January 22 8:19 am
    judyt2009 permalink

It was so sweet this morning during my walk to work that I saw a group from Defend Life. I was happy to see these sweet young faces of college age men and women who are here representing an educated, enlightened position. I am happy for them that they know the truth about abortion at this stage of their lives.

My perspective on abortion is tainted as one of those baby boomers who came of age during the sexual revolution of free love feminism, and twisted by the feminism advocated in Our Bodies, Our Selves. Abortion was viewed as the convenient alternative to the inconvenience of months in an unwed mother’s home, or the shot-gun wedding. Men could walk away from their own irresponsible sexual behavior with at most the loss of just a few dollars. The woman just removing a mass of tissue from the uterus more akin to the removal of a mole, than the death of a child. I spent my 20’s viewing abortion as an inconvenient, meaningless, and acceptable choice and medical procedure.

I am embarrassed to say that my feminist roots also pushed me at one time to volunteer for a pro-abortion group. My drive to work would take me past a group of pro-life protestors on a regular basis, outside the very clinic where Jane Doe once worked. After many months of driving by red-faced men standing screaming at women about what they could do with their bodies I was offended. I was offended that they were not screaming at men to zip up their pants and change their irresponsible behavior. The feminist in me objected as I viewed their actions as not about saving the lives of the unborn but of wanting to keep women subordinate to men. So for a couple of hours one day I volunteered to stuff envelopes. However, I found the women working that day to be just as offensive as the men screaming outside and found a way to excuse myself early and never returned.

My perspective changed. It changed when confronted with the irresponsible behavior of the office receptionist who was using abortion as her birth control and who, at age 25, had already had five abortions without a tinge of embarrassment or shame in sharing this information. It changed with the advancement of science that looked into the development of life in the womb. A pregnancy wasn’t a glob of tissue after all. It changed with tears staining my shoulders as I comforted too many friends suddenly overwhelmed with grief at the loss of an aborted child.

My perspective on abortion changed because of religion. Surprisingly not the Christian religion for I believed very much in God giving us free will, including the free will to do with my body whatever I wanted. In the strangest twist of all, my perspective on abortion changed to pro-life during a flirtation with psychics, meta-physical/new age “religion”, hypnosis, and belief in reincarnation/ past lives. As my “being” transcended prior to my birth date to time within my mother’s womb, and even prior to moments of nowhere, to death, life, birth, death, life, birth and death then the concept of life for me suddenly meant something more than beginning with the first cry from my lungs. If this was life for me, then it was life for all. Life was something more. Something to celebrate, something to value, something that had purpose in all stages of development.

Celebrate life.

32. 2010 January 22 8:23 am
    INC permalink

Hi guys, I was unable to check in until now. I scheduled this post to go up automatically last night.

Dr. Dog & JR, pro-life clinics have raised money & bought sonogram technology to give that window on the womb. I think it is a major step in reducing abortions.

Eph, thanks for the correction on the numbers. You know it registered in the back of my tired mind last night-I went to sleep thinking, now wait, did I write 500 or 50 million.

33. 2010 January 22 8:30 am
    INC permalink

MI Con–great story about your dad. Good for him!

34. 2010 January 22 8:34 am
    INC permalink

In May, I wrote the post, In Defense of Life: “Formed in Secret”, featuring a photograph of a developing baby within the womb with links and information about fetal development. I included this quote from Harrison Hickman at the 1989 conference of the National Abortion Rights Action League:

Nothing has been as damaging to our cause as the advances in technology which have allowed pictures of the developing fetus, because people now talk about that fetus in much different terms than they did fifteen years ago. They talk about it as a human being, which is not something that I have an easy answer how to cure.

Here’s a post I did in early November, In Defense of Life: Window To The Womb, in which I quoted William Saletan writing in Slate, April 28, 2007:

The fetus is squirming, and so are we.

35. 2010 January 22 8:38 am

“pro-life clinics have raised money & bought sonogram technology to give that window on the womb. I think it is a major step in reducing abortions.”

AMEN + BINGO + YUP !!!

36. 2010 January 22 8:43 am
    INC permalink

Eph, thanks for mentioning the pro-life change among youth. There are pro-life college groups who are bold and active.

37. 2010 January 22 8:51 am

INC,

How about pro-life changes among Jews??

Well, that’s a stretch but I’ll give it a shot…

Jews Choosing Life

38. 2010 January 22 8:58 am
    INC permalink

Thanks for the link, Eph. I did not realize that Jews support abortion more than any other religious group. That is heart breaking. The column is very helpful in giving understanding and insight.

I was reading the other week about an Israeli pro-life group. I’ll see if I can find it.

39. 2010 January 22 9:03 am

INC,

You know I always get a giggle when a “kosher” Jew asks me how I can eat a shrimp cocktail – I respond by saying, when you support life and marriage I’ll stop eating non-kosher foods.

That ends the conversation.

40. 2010 January 22 9:06 am
    judyt2009 permalink

Generally, the too many Episcopalians are pro-choice.

41. 2010 January 22 9:09 am

38. INC.

Why do you think ? loves hanging out with “JCC” Jews so much?????

42. 2010 January 22 9:10 am

Eph, 🙂 !

Here it is: Friends of Efrat.

43. 2010 January 22 9:11 am
    INC permalink

Does she? I didn’t know that. I know she used to quote very liberal Jewish scholars.

44. 2010 January 22 9:13 am

JCC Jews = athiest JEWS

…in case you didnt know

45. 2010 January 22 9:14 am
    INC permalink

No, I didn’t know. What do the letters stand for?

46. 2010 January 22 9:22 am

RedState has an excellent post up about Roe v. Wade:

In Memoriam

47. 2010 January 22 9:30 am

JCC = Jewish Community Center ( a non-religious/secular meeting place for Jews)

P.S. Notice there’s no quote from Schumer:

U.S. Senators Honor Efrat (2 page pdf)

48. 2010 January 22 9:35 am

Thanks, Eph.

I’m surprised Schumer even had his picture taken.

49. 2010 January 22 9:55 am

30 – Peril? Sometimes I wonder if you are for real.

50. 2010 January 22 10:06 am

49. if you want to trust a compulsive liar that’s your problem.

51. 2010 January 22 10:11 am

Odd that Hotair has nothing on this…

have they gone RINO too???

52. 2010 January 22 10:15 am

Anyone have a schedule of speakers at tomorrow’s Life March???

53. 2010 January 22 10:22 am
    mpthompson permalink

Judy, thank you for sharing your experience. I’m always fascinated by stories of the twists and turns that one has gone through in life to arrive at the person they are today.

As for me, fortunately abortion isn’t something that has ever touched my life in any direct way. I suppose when I was much younger I thought it was the easy out should the unthinkable happen, but I’ve since matured greatly since that time. Had I found myself in such a position, it is surely something that would have weighed greatly on my conscience today.

54. 2010 January 22 10:23 am

“Had I found myself in such a position, it is surely something that would have weighed greatly on my conscience today.”

We need to make sure our children understand that point

55. 2010 January 22 10:24 am
    INC permalink

I noticed that Eph. I’m surprised Ed put nothing up at HA.

March For Life (march is today) said Robert George will be speaking tonight at their Rose Dinner.

There are people speaking right now (I don’t know names). Fox News has live streaming on the web. At their home page look for March for Life at the top.

56. 2010 January 22 10:28 am
    INC permalink

They are speaking outside the Supreme Court. They are sponsored by Silent No More Awareness Campaign.

The Silent No More Awareness Campaign is an effort to make the public aware of the devastation abortion brings to women, men, and their families.

57. 2010 January 22 10:28 am
    mpthompson permalink

I view abortion much as I do cannibalism. Something that is morally repugnant, but sometimes necessary in extremely rare circumstances that very few of us will ever experience.

58. 2010 January 22 10:31 am
    INC permalink

Here’s a partial list of speakers from Silent No More who will speak later today outside SCOTUS from Silent No More:

Jennifer O’Neill, Dr. Alveda King, and 45 Others Harmed by Abortion to Testify in Front of Supreme Court Friday

Washington, DC – Famed actress Jennifer O’Neill, civil rights activist Dr. Alveda King, and 45 Silent No More women and men from across the country will testify to their abortion experiences this Friday at 3:00 pm in front of the Supreme Court Building.

59. 2010 January 22 10:37 am
    INC permalink

I have seen Jews, Catholics and Greek Orthodox on platform behind mic.

(I assume there are Protestants and others there as well).

60. 2010 January 22 10:39 am

INC,

Thanks, i got the live feed up now.

61. 2010 January 22 10:45 am

You’re welcome.

62. 2010 January 22 12:13 pm

La Shawn Barber has some excellent posts up today:

Blogs for Life

and in this one she speaks of the tragic and tough cases:

Conceived in Rape

Unlike some who call themselves pro-life, I believe an unborn baby should live even if conceived in rape or incest. That’s just the kind of extremist I am.

Carrying a baby conceived in a brutal, illegal, immoral, or ill-advised act has got to be tough, whether you want him or not. But this is where sacrifice comes in. The innocent child should not be murdered because of how he was conceived.

She links to the story of Rebecca Kiessling who was conceived by rape. At her site Rebecca states:

According to the research of Dr. David Reardon, director of the Elliot Institute, co-editor of the book Victims and Victors: Speaking Out About Their Pregnancies, Abortions and Children Resulting From Sexual Assault, and author of the article “Rape, Incest and Abortion: Searching Beyond the Myths,” most women who become pregnant out of sexual assault do not want an abortion and are in fact worse-off after an abortion. http://www.afterabortion.org. So most people’s position on abortion in cases of rape is based upon faulty premises:
    1) the rape victim would want an abortion, 2) she’d be better off with an abortion and 3) that child’s life just isn’t worth having to put her through the pregnancy. I hope that my story, and the other stories posted on this site, will be able to help dispel that last myth.

63. 2010 January 22 12:50 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

One of my close friends was conceived in rape. Her mother knew the rapist, but it was not date rape. It was a small town and her rapist was never prosecuted. It is a tragic story. At an relatively young age she learned her origin and that the man she thought was her father wasn’t when she came face to face with another little girl in town who could be her twin. Her mother had another daughter and she was raised with this older sister, but these two sisters look nothing alike.

To be sure it is a special challenge to carry a child conceived during rape, let alone raising that child, so I have mixed emotions about rape as an exception. But at the same time, I am glad to have this friend in my life.

64. 2010 January 22 12:55 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

I do not mean to diminish date rape as not being the same as stranger. I was just trying to make the distinction that it wasn’t a stranger rape… as most rapes. Over 80%, are by someone known to the victim.

65. 2010 January 22 12:56 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Our Diocese has a Project Rachel that is a support group for women that have had abortions.
    It is the insidious nature of our media that stories from these heart broken and guilt ridden women never make it on 60 minutes or any of the other Lamestream news shows.

I know women that have had abortions many years ago and they both feel awful about what they did today and are full of remorse and guilt. It is very sad. Obviously the children are the biggest victims but these women that do not receive any guidance are also victims.

66. 2010 January 22 12:59 pm

Do you guys want me to bump this thread to the top? I looked and this one isn’t sticky, so I can make the rvw one sticky while the discussion is going on. Let me know

67. 2010 January 22 1:00 pm

Thank you for sharing that story, Judy. Statistically only 1% of all abortions are due to rape, yet the left uses rape as their trump card whenever abortion is discussed. I am glad your friend’s mom chose life. It could not have been easy.

68. 2010 January 22 1:25 pm
    INC permalink

Judy, years ago I had a friend tell me she was conceived by rape. I think it must be very hard on the mother and hard as well on the child in working through identity. Nevertheless, my friend was glad to be alive.

69. 2010 January 22 2:09 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Statistically if 1% of abortions are the result of rape that would mean that 500,000 of the 50,000,000 abortions performed during the last 37 years, or 13,514 abortions annually would fall into a rape exception category. Approximately 100,000 forceable rapes are reported and an estimated 300,000 unreported rapes. This does not include the estimated 1.5 million women who are raped or physically assaulted by their intimate partner each year. However, I have no idea of how many of these 1.5 million attacks are rapes. (I am excluding the statistics on male rape as this does not result in pregnancy…but it is not my intention to dismiss these assaults as any less criminal.)

So applying these numbers then 4.5% of rapes result in pregnancy. Statistics also indicate that 60% of reported rape victims are under 18 years of age. While this number is still tragic, I would be more understanding of not wanting to force a young girl to carry a child conceived in rape. Imagine if abortion in this country was so rare that there were less than 15,000 a year. This would mean that twice as many people would die in auto fatalities each year than by abortion.

It is true that the pro-abortion crowd would want us to believe that a higher percentage of abortions would fall into the rape category, because it detracts from the objections to those who use abortion as a birth control backstop. In this day and age there is absolutely no reason why abortion should be used as a method of contraception. People would say well contraceptives fail. And they do, but there is still one 100% reliable method of contraception. Maybe it would not be a bad thing for people to pause and consider whether they would want to conceive a child with their sex partner. And if not then maybe they should not be having sex with them in the first place. And if they are still willing to take that gamble why should an innocent child have to play for their gambling losses…. again this is an issue of maturity and personal responsibility. This standard applies equally to men and women.

70. 2010 January 22 2:45 pm

The posts on this thread have been quite impressive.

Kudos to the BJG crowd!

71. 2010 January 22 2:50 pm

66. Mary,

Yes, that would be great if you could bump to the top. I know a lot of posters have not had the chance to post on that thread and are just getting home.

72. 2010 January 22 3:27 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

You know that ??? is going crazy over a thread discussing her sacrament. I hope she picks up on the personal responsibility aspect of not having sex with someone if she is unwilling to accept the risk of conceiving a child… but knowing how she thinks….personal responsibility isn’t a guiding premise.

73. 2010 January 22 3:35 pm

Bumped till 6 or 7 when I will publish something from drdog. Poetry night is at 4 but this thread will be just below.

74. 2010 January 22 3:36 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

In the 90s I remember a rather crude film named Rob Roy.

A local Scottish clan leader is swindled and framed by an English courtier and dueler of a Scottish Lord. In the struggle he foolishly leaves his wife alone at home while he hides from the Lord’s guard.

The Englishman, who is utterly depraved, enters the home and rapes the wife, and later in the film she admits to her husband that she is pregnant but not sure if he or the Englishman is the father. And that she tried to kill the baby, indicating that whether she was sure or not, she was afraid she was pregnant from the rape.

Roy then comforts his wife, telling her “It’s not the child who needs killing.”

He then goes off to duel the Englishman and kills him with brute strength as the Englishman is vastly more skilled with a sword.

I would not have left my wife home like that, and Roy was lucky to get her back alive at all. But I thought the sentiment was a gentle one, that even in the case of a despicable crime worthy of death, one must remember that children are helpless and innocent…

75. 2010 January 22 3:37 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Well, you can take some measures that decrease the odds of conception, though do not eliminate them. 😀

76. 2010 January 22 3:42 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Every day I go to work, and these days I am very lucky to be doing so. Nevertheless, it can be tiring, and this week was an exhausting one.

But whenever I say to myself I’d rather not be working so hard, I think of my gentle wife and children who are supported by my labor. I would do almost anything to keep them sheltered and cared for, and and free from some of the worries that I have every day at the office.

I am thrilled and happy to have the opportunity to earn a living on their behalf, and would not trade it for much of anything.

Of course, it would be nice if we were wealthy enough to not need work.

I for one am pleased to believe that a man’s duty is to wear himself out for his family, and then go on to meet God when his labor is done.

77. 2010 January 22 3:55 pm

“You know that ??? is going crazy over a thread discussing her sacrament”

heh!

78. 2010 January 22 4:07 pm

42. INC,

I’m making a donation to “Efrat” this weekend in the name of BeJohnGalt!

79. 2010 January 22 4:48 pm

Life – the most basic and essential of all human rights. Without this one right, all others are meaningless.

80. 2010 January 22 4:58 pm
    INC permalink

That’s wonderful, Eph! Thanks!

81. 2010 January 22 5:07 pm
    INC permalink

gnqanq, your comment reminded me of Reagan’s words.

I’m always amazed at how timeless his speeches and writings are. You can change some of the names and dates, but his principles still hold true. That’s understanding and wisdom.

82. 2010 January 22 8:26 pm
    INC permalink

This column from The Weekly Standard that hits hard as it describes the reality of abortion.

Mugged by Ultrasound
    Why so many abortion workers have turned pro-life.

It starts with this introduction:

Abortion rights activists have long preferred to hold themselves at some remove from the practice they promote; rather than naming it, they speak of “choice” and “reproductive freedom.” But those who perform abortions have no such luxury. Instead, advances in ultrasound imaging and abortion procedures have forced providers ever closer to the nub of their work. Especially in abortions performed far enough along in gestation that the fetus is recognizably a tiny baby, this intimacy exacts an emotional toll, stirring sentiments for which doctors, nurses, and aides are sometimes unprepared. Most apparently have managed to reconcile their belief in the right to abortion with their revulsion at dying and dead fetuses, but a noteworthy number have found the conflict unbearable and have defected to the pro-life cause.

The writers go on to some horrific descriptions of what abortionists see and do in abortions and their reactions. It ends by saying:

Pro-choice advocates like to point out that abortion has existed in all times and places. Yet that observation tends to obscure the radicalism of the present abortion regime in the United States. Until very recently, no one in the history of the world has had the routine job of killing well-developed fetuses quite so up close and personal. It is an experiment that was bound to stir pro-life sentiments even in the hearts of those staunchly devoted to abortion rights. Ultrasound and D&E bring workers closer to the beings they destroy. Hern and Corrigan concluded their study by noting that D&E leaves “no possibility of denying an act of destruction.” As they wrote, “It is before one’s eyes. The sensations of dismemberment run through the forceps like an electric current.”

D&E stands for “dilation and evacuation”. It is an abortion procedure used in second trimester abortions.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks