Voting For America

2010 January 20

For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
Through all our history, to the last,
In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
The people will waken and listen to hear
The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
And the midnight message of Paul Revere.

Longfellow’s night-wind of the Past blew into the Northeast yesterday as Massachusetts elected Scott Brown to be their new senator; the horror of the health care bill was providentially stopped. Last night I thought not only of Longfellow’s Paul Revere’s Ride, but also of the words of John Page to Thomas Jefferson on July 20, 1776:

“I am highly pleased with your Declaration.  God preserve the United States.  We know the Race is not to the Swift nor the Battle to the Strong. Do you not think an Angel rides in the Whirlwind and directs this Storm?”

This past year has been an hour of peril and storm for our country.  With increasing consternation we saw our Republic slipping away from us as we recognized the flagrant extension of power by the White House and Capitol Hill. Less than a month after Obama’s inauguration, on February 15, Keli Carender of Seattle organized the first grassroots protest against the stimulus bill, and on February 19, Rick Santelli shouted, “This is America!” and called for a Tea Party.  From winter to spring to summer to fall, we wrote, we called, we marched and we challenged: we are Americans and we will not give up our freedom.  The Boston Tea Party of December 16, 1773, became our ensign and the words of our Founders our inspiration.

Be it remembered, however, that liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.

John Adams
1765: A Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law

Yesterday Michelle Malkin wrote regarding the Massachusetts special election:

The Tea Party comes full circle

How fitting that Massachusetts became the state whose election provided a resounding voice for us.

This year may not be easy, and it will have its own storms–Quin Hillyer foresees Obama’s reaction–

He will try to use executive orders, regulatory/bureaucratic edicts, and a corrupt Justice Department to force through leftist changes in all sorts of areas of daily life. In short, he will become more openly authoritarian. This means we are in for some rocky times. This man is playing for keeps, and he is not a small ‘r’ republican at heart. He is an Alinskyite. Power is everything to him. All who believe in limited government must gird up our loins, because (sorry for the cliches) Barack Obama will not go gentle into that good night.

–but the Massachusetts Miracle was an event underscored with significance for us.  Last week a volunteer for Scott Brown told Robert Stacy McCain:

“I feel like we’re here . . . not just voting for us,” she said.

“We are casting our vote for the rest of America.”

America voted in Massachusetts yesterday.  In 2010, we still stand on 1776.

__________
Fawn McKay Brodie, Thomas Jefferson: an intimate history; (124), Michelle Malkin; TeachingAmericanHistory.org; AmSpecBlog.

Crossposted to RedState Diaries and J’s Cafe Nette.

1. 2010 January 20 5:14 pm
    TLS permalink

Yeah, INC’s back!!!

2. 2010 January 20 5:26 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Hi, INC

“For the first time, I noticed Obama’s magic tongue wasn’t working”–Frank Luntz on O’Reilly

For the first time? Where has this guy been for the last 6 months?

3. 2010 January 20 5:28 pm
    conservativetony permalink

I see blogs are finally being taxed. Obama is confiscating every other post.

4. 2010 January 20 5:29 pm

INC – hope all is well. Good post as always.

5. 2010 January 20 5:29 pm
    TLS permalink

O/T maybe, but related to candidates and voting. Was driving home just now, listening to the radio. apparently Sarah Palin will be campaigning for John McCain’s re-election on March 26, 2010. From listening to the callers, this may end up working against her more than any attacks from the dems. Firstly, let me say that CA conservatives hate McCain because we live in the undocumented democrat (illegal alien) capital of the country. Here are some big problems she is creating for herself with this endorsement:

1. Sarah Palin is working to align herself not with the republicans, but with the tea parties instead. although she is connecting with the National tea party group, she is ignoring the local AZ teas in their desire to primary McCain.

2. She is campaigning early for McCain, which will deter other candidates from running against McCain on the Republican ticket.

3. Many people feel (and Palin has reinforced herself) that she differs on some major issues with McCain. So there is a consensus that since McCain picked her for VP, she is returning the favor. Although it proves she is loyal, Americans are sick of politicians who are beholden to others, whether it be due to political contributions or payback owed for political favors.

Many people felt she should wait until the AZ citizens have a chance to speak for themselves in the primary. Several callers made the comment that they didn’t think she was niave until now. I think this hurts her crediblity as in #3. She should not be involved in playing politics as ususal.

6. 2010 January 20 5:32 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Hey, I heard a rumor that some Dems are now considering extending Bush’s tax cuts — on account of the economy being fragile and such. Gee, let’s see if yesterday was enough of a 2×4 to their heads that: 1) They do something that makes sense. 2) Will be popular with the American people. 3) Will piss off the socialist/communist wing of the the ‘rat party.

7. 2010 January 20 5:35 pm

TLS – tough choice. One tries to be loyal but at the same time true to oneself. She can not win, either she is loyal or comes across as an opportunist kicking someone who brought her to the national stage to the curb.

Going to take a hit but she is loyal. And in the end that means a lot to some people. To me I like to know someone is going to be with me through thick and thin.

8. 2010 January 20 5:35 pm
    mpthompson permalink

At this point Sarah doesn’t owe McCain a thing. At the very least should just walk away from the AZ race and let the locals work it out themselves. I do agree that this is indeed something that could backfire on her and is a distraction she doesn’t need to volunteer for.

9. 2010 January 20 5:39 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

TLS

Speaking for myself, I want to see McCain primaried badly, and if Palin stumps for him, I will be far less inclined to support her in the future.

McCain is a Murkowski figure, Senate royalty, disloyal, progressive, and spiteful of liberty. For Palin to stump for him is out of character.

She owes him nothing, as far as I am concerned.

Regarding the post, it is excellent as always spotlessly researched and well thought out, another A+… but we have come to expect it from INC.

I am tired after work today, but I agree with the post that Obama will up the ante and will test us to our limits and beyond. We must not fail to respond.

10. 2010 January 20 5:39 pm
    conservativetony permalink

The first thought that comes to mind is that McCain owes Palin a debt of gratitude. He would’ve been thoroghly trounced without her. OTOH, without McCain, Palin would’ve been in the wilderness for much longer with the possibility never becoming the star attraction she is now.

Having said that, McCain should retire and allow her to shine. She is the future of the party he claims to represent.

11. 2010 January 20 5:41 pm
    mpthompson permalink

To me I like to know someone is going to be with me through thick and thin.

Yes, there is being loyal to someone when they are down on their luck and there is being loyal to a person who stood by why you yourself were attacked. McCain stood by silently as his former minions ripped Sarah to shreds. I certainly haven’t heard any indications that McCain made any efforts curb or refute their behavior.

12. 2010 January 20 5:43 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Let’s put it this way: McCain did not select Sarah Palin as his veep out of any loyalty to the right.

Interesting post by Erick at Redstate last night following along the lines of INCs post:

When the left starts talking about nations becoming ungovernable, stock up on guns and ammo, because that usually means they’ll start forcefully agitating for a more governable country according to their definition of governability.

13. 2010 January 20 5:47 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Having said that, McCain should retire and allow her to shine.

Yes. Why must McCain continue to inflict himself upon us? Is not 30 years enough?

14. 2010 January 20 5:47 pm

#3 Huh? Are there hiccups on the blog?

15. 2010 January 20 5:49 pm

Well, I don’t believe this was a coincidence at all. I think this was a nod from the Lord Himself. Really.

16. 2010 January 20 5:49 pm

Missed you, INC. Glad you are back!

17. 2010 January 20 5:50 pm
    conservativetony permalink

The comment number and total comments for this thread is off by 2

18. 2010 January 20 5:50 pm
    TLS permalink

Personally, I’m ready for someone to be loyal to this country, the constitution, and the People.

19. 2010 January 20 5:51 pm

Ohhhhh yeah off by two because ping/trackbacks count as comments.

20. 2010 January 20 5:52 pm
    conservativetony permalink

Hey, Obama’s loyal to his country.
    Oh, you said [T]his country.

21. 2010 January 20 5:53 pm

Right Wing – you mean the left may want to go for a power grab as to legislate what is acceptable and not acceptable to govern more easily?

Epic failure if I have ever seen one.

Sounds like a fun ride, one can hope.

22. 2010 January 20 5:53 pm
    conservativetony permalink

I see.

23. 2010 January 20 5:54 pm

Sarah Palin is very loyal, mistakenly so in my opinion regarding John McCain. I doubt she would be doing so without McCain asking. My guess is that McCain is worried about competitors, particularly J.D. Hayworth.

My guess is that Palin campaigning in AZ will have little impact as most will realize she is doing so out of loyalty (and to keep voters awake at McCain rallies.

“My friends ….”

24. 2010 January 20 6:11 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Inc… you are a precious jewel… I am so glad you post at BJG….

25. 2010 January 20 6:13 pm

just got home, and echo the “Welcome back INC!” sentiment!

26. 2010 January 20 6:16 pm

The Dems are absolutely flailing about right now, we need to keep ’em that way. Losing “Teddy’s seat” has caused whatever cognitive reasoning they had to leave them completely!

rwy’s caution above is a real one. The phrase: “America is becoming ungoverable” is indeed telling! Stay frosty folks.

27. 2010 January 20 6:21 pm
    conservativetony permalink

I think JD should speak with Sarah. After all, it is she who said she will be backing Conservative candidates–no matter which party.

If she backs McCain, why not Grahmensty? If Grahmnesty, why not. . ..

As BC mentioned, this is a huge flaw in her game plan.

28. 2010 January 20 6:23 pm

I have not watched MSNBC for the past 2-3 years, but decided to tune in last night after Brown was declared. The entire team was almost in tears. Every MSNBC commentator and every analyst was far left. It was great watching their heads explode. Olbermann in particular was a nut-job.

29. 2010 January 20 6:41 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

JM, please E-Mail me. I have had four posts not approved in the last few days? Am I being black-balled? I hope not.

30. 2010 January 20 6:45 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

RP, certainly not blackballed…. fear not. If I haven’t been, you’re sure to be ok…..

31. 2010 January 20 6:48 pm

No hon, to be honest I have had so much going on here that I have not been in the admin cave much. Lemme go look.

32. 2010 January 20 6:56 pm
    INC permalink

Hey & thanks, guys & gals!

Fred Barnes is channeling Eph & MFG:

The Health Care Bill Is Dead
    And other repercussions of Scott Brown’s victory in Massachusetts.

33. 2010 January 20 7:00 pm

AS an AZ voter if JD does run, he has me vote.

That’s with Palin helping McCain.

P.S. Palin is not running in 2012

34. 2010 January 20 7:01 pm

32. MFG???? Please, he bailed on me over a month ago!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks