Here Once The Embattled Farmers Stood,

2010 April 19

And fired the shot heard round the world…

April 19, 1775

What made the farmers fight in 1775? Judge Millen Chamberlain in 1842, when he was twenty-one, interviewed Captain Preston, a ninety-year-old veteran of the Concord fight: “Did you take up arms against intolerable oppression?” he asked.

“Oppression?” replied the old man. “I didn’t feel them.”

“What, were you not oppressed by the Stamp Act?”

“I never saw one of those stamps. I certainly never paid a penny for one of them.”

“Well, what then about the tea tax?”

“I never drank a drop of the stuff; the boys threw it all overboard.”

“Then I suppose you had been reading Harington or Sidney and Locke about the eternal principles of liberty?”

“Never heard of ’em. We read only the Bible, the Catechism, Watts’ Psalms and Hymns, and the Amanac.”

“Well, then, what was the matter? And what did you mean in going to the fight?”

“Young man, what we meant in going for those redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves, and we always meant to. They didn’t mean we should.

April 19th, 1775 ~ Patriots’ Day

Hour by Hour ~ Details of the Day

The Old North Church ~ Paul Revere’s Ride

Hancock-Clarke House ~ Hartwell Tavern ~ Buckman Tavern

Two If By Sea ~ The King’s Own

Lexington Battle Green ~ An Eyewitness Account

Battle at Concord’s North Bridge ~ Battle Road

Meriam’s Corner ~ Parker’s Revenge ~ Munroe Tavern

Blogging the Redcoats ~ Blogging the Revolution

Mapping The Rides ~ Mapping The Region ~ Mapping The Revolution

__________
H/T:  Ralph Waldo Emerson, Concord Hymn; Samuel Eliot Morison, The Oxford History of the American People, (212-213), emphasis added.

1. 2010 April 19 4:48 am

2. 2010 April 19 5:20 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel ” pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised land”.

Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,”Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the promised land”.

Now Obama has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of camels, and mortgaged the promised land!

Furthermore, I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc…..I called Lifeline, the suicide help line. Got a freakin’ call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal.

They all got excited and asked if I could drive a truck…

3. 2010 April 19 5:48 am
    Havok permalink

If you have never attended an Appleseed shoot, you should.
    Those guys are oral histories on April 19th 1775.
    One thing that they taught me (other than how to improve my technique) was that by the end of the day there were over 30,000 patriots from all over New England coming to the fight. Of course a larger battle never occured there, and the men trickled in here and there and then went home.
    Imagine if they all had gotten there at the same time? The war would have ended on the spot!
    Anyway, I can hit a target easily at 400 yards, can you???

Appleseed Project – Please do it, and bring a friend.

I don’t want to be next to someone shooting a rifle from the hip like Rambo.
    THAT GOES FOR ALL OF YOU. Former military or not….you could have been in the navy or air force for cryin’ out loud…..

4. 2010 April 19 5:57 am

Never connected the dots quite this well when I was a kid, but this is a case like all cases, the folks were ahead of the elites yet again. (If you consider Washington, Hancock, Franklin, elites of their day.) The war was ‘on’ before the first prescriptive of purpose for the war had been etched. The Decleration having come later.

5. 2010 April 19 6:01 am

Havok, that 400yds with black powder or a modern firearm?

6. 2010 April 19 6:22 am

By the way I tried a friends blackpowder rifle one time. All I can say is, one has to develop a patience for using such a weapon. A reload is time consuming. Firing is not immediate. You hope it goes off as planned. Otherwise you have a prospect of a loaded weapon, that might go off as you clear the primer hole and reload the pan.

I could not imagine going into a fire fight with it.

7. 2010 April 19 6:22 am
    Havok permalink

Modern. Not that wee see too much 400 yard distances here in NH…

8. 2010 April 19 6:35 am
    fedupartist permalink

Those people were dangerous.

Clinton/

9. 2010 April 19 6:36 am
    fedupartist permalink

A new stamp of President Obama came out. The Postal Service found out the stamp was not sticking to envelopes. An enraged Obama demanded an investigation. After a month of testing and $1.73 million in congressional spending a Presidential Commision presented these findings:
    1) The stamp is in order 2) The glue is fine 3) People were spitting on the wrong side.

10. 2010 April 19 6:58 am
    TLS permalink

Here’s medicare doing some of that cost rationing that government HC doesn’t do. And also note that what Medicare determines “not cost effective” effects the pay structure of private insurance.

The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has asked a panel of outside experts meeting on Wednesday to say how confident they are that various types of radiation treatment can improve patient outcomes.

Researchers have found that many prostate cancers are so slow-growing that most men will die from other causes, sparking debate over whether diagnosis is too frequent and whether treatments, which also include surgery, are excessive. While the meeting will not directly address the agency’s reimbursement rates, CMS is seeking advice that could later be used to determine its payment policies.(snip)

But “if they feel that radiation therapy is being overutilized, there could be a chance for some negative recommendation” that could later cause some waves, he said. (snip)

“The scope of this (meeting) is limited to radiotherapy for the treatment of localized prostate cancer with comparisons to watchful waiting,” it said in announcing the panel. (snip)

Prostate cancer affects mostly older men — and Medicare covers those aged 65 and older — but private payers often look to CMS in making their own payment policies.

11. 2010 April 19 7:16 am
    MI Conservative permalink

#9 LOL

12. 2010 April 19 7:40 am

MIC your post #2 and fedupartist your post #9 are hillarious! thx, I needed a smile

Havok, I used to be able to put 20 shots dead center from 500 yards with an M14 using iron-sights. But I could bend myself into a pretzel in the Marine Corps prone position back then. These days I’d have to use a scope and a tri-pod! 🙂

13. 2010 April 19 7:42 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Bill finally inhaled whatever he was smoking. He thinks that this November will not be as bad as everyone knows it is. Still lies with a straight face, though.

14. 2010 April 19 7:47 am

the old narrative: Tea Party folks are ignorant hicks

then a poll came our showing that those self-identifying with the Tea Party are BETTER educated than the national average!

NEW narrative (from today’s WaPo): They are also more affluent and better educated than Americans as a whole. This is the populism of the privileged.

TaDa!! the SAME “reporters” and “columnists” who ranted about it being an out of control mob of hillbillies, are now ranting about it being a bunch of “over privileged effete snobs”!!

15. 2010 April 19 7:54 am
    MI Conservative permalink

justrand-Thank you for clearing that up. I must be a tea party supporter.

I am an over privileged effete snob who is educated and affluent but acst like a backwoods hillbilly. I fit in all the categories!!!

16. 2010 April 19 7:55 am

RP,

Look at it this way, Billy ain’t got no skin in game this time around. He can sit around the house collecting his presidential pension laughing at CNN or Fox news whatever. He really seems disengaged from the political scene of late.

Just,

I would not trust my eyes with iron sights beyond 150yrds these days. With a scope I can do 300yrds. But I never shot distance till I moved out to Texas. Back in Fla, sitting back on a trail, most of the shots were 25yrds max. Palmetto rush and sawgrass shortened visibility considerably. To this day I have shot more deer with shotgun than rifle for that reason.

17. 2010 April 19 7:55 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Ant I kan’t spel worf krap so mi sine wood be on MSNBC!

18. 2010 April 19 7:56 am

MIC,

Welcome to the Party! Bet you drink more beer that wine too.

19. 2010 April 19 8:13 am

20. 2010 April 19 8:14 am

To this day I have shot more deer with shotgun than rifle for that reason.
    mutley

I guess you’ve never “barked” a squirrel.

21. 2010 April 19 8:40 am
    Big Mo permalink

Thanks for this post!!

I was in Boston last fall and walked the red trail to see many Boston sights. Went to Bunker Hill Monument and actually climed to the top. It was a moving cold and rainy day.

And by coincidence, I read Longfellow’s “Paul Revere’s Ride” to my boys at bedtime the other night.

22. 2010 April 19 8:54 am
    janzam permalink

MI

#2 —-> Priceless! I really laughed!

23. 2010 April 19 8:59 am
    aureliusx permalink

Hmmm… is that statue of a white male farmer?

racist teabaggers, all of you.

24. 2010 April 19 9:00 am

Big Mo, we walked the whole trail a few years ago…wonderful! My boys and I climbed to the top of the monument on that hot and humid day…while my wife remained at ground level laughing at us! 🙂

We even have a splendid photo of our youngest astride the Democrat donkey whooping it up like John Wayne.

I truly pray that the spirit they showed in 1775 remains with us today.

25. 2010 April 19 9:38 am
    Havok permalink

Screw Romney.
    Hes a douche RINO.

26. 2010 April 19 9:51 am

Havok,

My money is Romney passes on 2012,

then gets in the 2012 GOP cabinet,

then runs against Kerry for MASS Senate.

27. 2010 April 19 10:54 am

Excellent thread, INC. Thank you!!!

28. 2010 April 19 10:55 am

#2 😆

29. 2010 April 19 11:09 am
    INC permalink

You’re welcome, JM.

Some of the links are the same from the post I did last year on April 19th, but I have added more locations and links.

The links to Lexington Battle Green and Concord’s North Bridge are new as the ones from last year no longer work.

There are several reenactment videos. One is at the link in the post at April 19, 1775. A new link to the King’s Own has more, including reenactments to the battles of Lexington and Concord.

30. 2010 April 19 11:17 am
    INC permalink

There are more maps this year and I think an extra tavern and a house I added.

Two If By Sea is my own name for a new Battle Road site that tells the story of the British march. It has a timeline and photos of locations of the British movement as well as a map of Boston in 1775.

The Lexington Historical Society has a site titled First Shot that I used for several of the links. There is more to navigate from their home page. There’s been rivalry over the years between Lexington and Concord. I think that’s why they went with the name “First Shot”.

31. 2010 April 19 11:20 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

I am all those things and a hillbilly, too. A real one, not a Media made up one.

32. 2010 April 19 11:43 am

“Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes…”

Now Jenna’s causing earthquakes. 🙄

33. 2010 April 19 12:05 pm

Once again, Eph Rove nails it – although not Hannity or BOR…

34. 2010 April 19 1:57 pm

I guess you’ve never “barked” a squirrel. — ip

Well never needed too. Second I don’t use shotgun for squirrel, again I am too cheap. Why spend .65c for a shotgun shell when a .15c 22LR does the job just fine? And being cheap again never spent the money for the barker.

You put some pebbles in a bag and take them afield. Set yourself down in the brush towards evening and just wait. Soon enough the first one is out of the trees. Wait about 15min then throw a pebble to your left or right. Any squirrel directly behind the trees will rotate on the trunk away from the sound then look that direction but bringing in view for a shot. That takes number 2 out of the trees. Rinse and repeat.

35. 2010 April 19 3:59 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

I love this post, and am bookmarking everything. INC is a national treasure and should get secret service protection 24/7.

36. 2010 April 19 4:14 pm
    INC permalink

🙂 Thanks!

With the noise coming from the regime and its minions, those who keep talking about the Founders may need protection!

I’ll tell you, I have been surprised to see that Publius at Big Government seems to be the only other blogger who does American history posting. Today he just notes the anniversary of Lexington & Concord with a picture.

Justrand and I do history as does Republican Pundit. Other than that the blogs are largely MIA. This should not be.

37. 2010 April 19 4:17 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Yes. I have always been a generalist somewhat, just get the gist and move on, on history, except for wars of course, which must be studied in detail.

I should do better.

I just got “A Patriot’s History of the US” by Schweikert/Allen, and it seems like a good book. Should take me awhile.

38. 2010 April 19 4:21 pm

There is of course VDH. He IS a walking history book. Course most of his references are usually of the pre-Venetian variety when he attempts parallels to today’s events.

There is some counter balance though. If you look at Revolutionary and Civil War reenactemnts, both the participtation and the attendance are at all time highs.

39. 2010 April 19 4:24 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Anyway, I can hit a target easily at 400 yards, can you???

Open sights? That’s impressive, no, I have not tried, the farthest I have used open sights for is 200 yards, it takes a while to get used to the distance….

I have scoped anything past 200. I have nowhere to shoot longer distances than that, without driving quite a ways.

More news on that shortly.

40. 2010 April 19 4:51 pm
    INC permalink

VDH is formidable, although I wasn’t primarily thinking of bloggers with PhD’s!