The Price of Freedom

2010 September 17
by justrand

The Chicago Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908.  102 years.  The longest drought in sports history.  We should award the title to them this year on that basis.  Right?

For all that’s wrong with Chicago politically, I like to think that if some politician suggested that the Cubs be named “World Champions” out of “Fairness”, the decent people of Chicago would rise up in outrage and say: “NO!”

It is so obvious in sports.  Still, in everything from horseracing with its handicaps (designed mainly to ensure each horse is carrying equal weight), the NFL with its “Salary Caps” (ostensibly used to ensure that each team has roughly the same amount of money to use to hire players), and boxing with its weight-classes, there are methods used to more or less ensure a level playing field.

In sports we (try to) guarantee equal opportunity, but we do not  guarantee success.  Our Founders knew there is no such thing as “guaranteed success” in life either.  So, in fact, did Karl Marx.

Adherents of Socialism and Communism aren’t trying to ensure success for everyone (no matter what they say)…just equality of result.  To that end Obama and the Democrats are trying to ensure that no one [other than the ruling elite, of course] can “Succeed”.  Success = Plunder, therefore those trying to succeed are inherently evil…and must be prevented from succeeding.  It’s just so obvious…to the Democrats.

We are fast approaching a time when this will be front and center in America.  It’s already happening, just not in the forefront.  Stand by.

The Obama Regime has initiated full-on Class Warfare, designed to limit the ability to “succeed”, in order to ensure that everyone [except the ruling elite, of course] shares equally.  They have now set the bar at $250,000 for a family to earn.  If you earn more than that then you are a “Millionaire”.  Hmmm… shouldn’t a “MILLION” have more decimal places?  If they wanted to go after people making a MILLION dollars they should have said so.  Why not?  Because the VASTLY largest share of taxes is paid by people making between $250,000 and $1 million.  Those making more than a $1 million routinely have tax-shelters and other schemes that shield them…just ask John Kerry.

“Equality of result” is rearing its ugly head in other areas as well.  Those prudent enough to have saved for their retirement will soon see themselves “means-tested” out of Social Security benefits they EARNED through decades of contributions…and may see their savings seized and re-distributed as well.  All in the name of “Fairness”.  Everyone, you see, must be equally miserable [except the ruling elite, of course].

In 1917 Russia was in a shambles.  Frankly the Romanovs weren’t doing a swell job and probably deserved to lose their jobs…just not necessarily their lives.  But although America in 2008 was not like Russia in 1917…we got “Hope & Change” anyway.  Instead of a revolution we had an election, and now our new ruler wants to take us to the same place the Bolsheviks took Russia: a 2-Class Society…except that he and his mob want to “nudge” us there. November 2010 is our chance at a counter-revolution/election.

The stakes this November are massive.  Will we rush headlong into a “Worker’s Paradise” where everyone [except the Ruling Elite, of course] is equally miserable, or begin to reverse the course we are on and have a chance to restore the America our Founders intended??

Thomas Jefferson said: “Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have.”  To which Premiere Obama would most likely reply: “Exactly!”

For now we still (barely) have a system that rewards excellence and effort.  So if the Chicago Cubs are ever to be named “World Champions”, they will have to earn it.  That may be frustrating for them and their fans…but it’s also the Price of Freedom.

1. 2010 September 17 7:51 am
    Big Mo permalink

Justrand – excellent as usual.

I’ll see your TJ quote and raise you one by Frederick Douglass:

“Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.”

2. 2010 September 17 7:57 am

Big Mo, and to that quote as well Barack Obama would say: “Exactly!! Neither persons nor property will be safe…get over it peasants!”

3. 2010 September 17 8:13 am

JR –

Success comes in many forms and isn’t necessarily determined just by championships, but how leaders operate their businesses and plan for the future.

You’re right. The Cubs make the Lions look good by comparison. But, as someone who has lived in both cities and attended many of both teams’ games, there is a tremendous difference.

The Cubs are very capitalistic. They learned long ago that if you provide customers with a unique (and enjoyable) experience they will support you even if the team sucks. While other owners were pouring money into player salaries, Philip Knight Wrigley was investing in “Beautiful Wrigley Field.” Fifty years later, when historic ball parks like Tiger Stadium were crumbling, Wrigley Field was still in great condition.

Other franchises like the Reds, Cardinals, Pirates and Phillies are on their third stadium since Wrigley Field was originally constructed in 1914. That’s right, the Cubs won their last world championship before Wrigley Field as constructed.

Phil Wrigley created a unique experience. From the ivy on the outfield walls to the hand-operated scoreboard in centerfield, which is still in use. Operating in an era before truly modeern communications, Wrigley even installed a flagpole in centerfield on which a white flag with a “W” or a blue flag with an “L” was hoisted so commuters riding the “elevated” home from work would know if the Cubs won or lost that afternoon.

When I lived in Naperville I went in with seven other families to buy four season Cubs tickets. There’s nothing like a sunny summer afternoon at Wrigley Field, especially when the wind is blowing out.

Obama could learn from Phil Wrigley, who spent his money wisely, ran a profitable operation and planned for tomorrow rather than mortgaging the future to get through today.

4. 2010 September 17 8:13 am

Wow, Dad. Excellent post.

5. 2010 September 17 8:17 am
    JBoz permalink

Oh boy, where do I start? First, I’ve been a Cubs fan for 35 years. Never really followed baseball until the mid 70s when I was in high school in Indianapolis. No MLB franchise there, so the locals eithe go with the Reds, the Cardinals or the Cubs. If you recall, the mid-70s was the height of the Big Red Machine (Concepcion, Rose, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Ken Griffey), so naturally every red blooded male within 300 miles was a Reds fan. I went to my first MLB game at the old Riverfront Stadium, one of the multitude of round, plastic mass produced stadiums built in the 60s. Had fun, didn’t know any better. Then on a lark, my friends and I drove up to Chicago and went to a Cubs game. Love at first sight! It was really more about Wrigley and the entire throw-back baseball experience than the Cubs themselves.

Anyway, to echo bc3b’s comments, some important Cubs considerations for all BJGers…

1). Not Barrys team…he’s a White Sox fan, or pretends to be anyway, like Hillary and the Yankees. Obama is on the record as disparaging Cubs fans.
    2). Attendance at Wrigley is consistently in the top tier of all MLB teams, even though the capacity of Wrigley Field is among the lowest.
    3). There are no jumbotrons in center field, no instant replay screens, no dancing hotdogs between innings, no gimmicks (like the swimming pool in AZ)
    4). It is the second oldest stadium in baseball, and arguably the most pure to form.
    5). Unlike other parks, you can come wearing the opposing team’s jersey and other than a little good natured ribbing, you will be treated with respect and good cheer.

Bottom line is that I agree wholeheartedly with JRs narrative, I just wanted to add that the Cubs and Wrigley are a true conservative’s team.

Boz

6. 2010 September 17 8:34 am

WHERE’s JAN????????

(over at the HHR bashing COD!)

7. 2010 September 17 8:38 am

ya know…if Castle had won I would be trying to patch over his multitudinal warts. and if there were some here still insisting on trashing HIM I would get pissed at THEM. Primaries are over!

…so ya, if jan is still trying to pull COD down, then she (jan) is actually helping the DEMOCRAT to win. big mistake. *sigh*

sitcky thread coming up on CANDIDATES…gonna work on it now!

8. 2010 September 17 8:41 am

You folks in CA make sure to get your cut..

6 – You really need to be slapped sometimes. 😉

9. 2010 September 17 8:42 am

7 – You are an idiot for taking eph seriously when he said that. She aint even posted today or late yesterday at hhr.

10. 2010 September 17 8:51 am

6 – You really need to be slapped sometimes. 😉

KH, don’t encourage ’em now.

11. 2010 September 17 8:53 am

12. 2010 September 17 8:58 am

WooHoo! —

“With the past few days given over to Democratic triumphalism, the reality is that the big picture remains roughly the same for Democrats. In Ohio, it’s getting so bad for Democrats that the Democratic Governors Association, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee are actively weighing their level of commitment.

Public and private polling from the state suggests that Democrats will lose the governor’s mansion, currently held by Ted Strickland, the Senate race (for an open seat that was held by a Republican), and at least four House races (OH 01, OH 15, OH 13, OH 16).”

HT: PP

13. 2010 September 17 8:58 am

KH…I guess I was an idiot for trusting Eph. But since I don’t visit HHR I couldn’t verify.

I’ll have myself flogged! 👿

p.s. candidate thread going up…

14. 2010 September 17 9:00 am

RAS — Feingold trailing by 7.

15. 2010 September 17 9:03 am

JR,

An excellent post by the way. But the true Dim solution for the Cubs would be that they get 1 extra inning at the beginning of the game and 2 extra innings at the end. And a rule that says, if the score is more than a 4 point spread the other team can’t have outfielders those last 2 innings.

“From each according to their pitching, To each according to their MLB ranking.”

16. 2010 September 17 9:08 am

excellent, drdog…and you’re right, that would be the “nudge” method!! 🙂

17. 2010 September 17 9:16 am

9 KH,

IS THAT A BET ??????????????

18. 2010 September 17 9:16 am

Rand,

let me repost some selections for you shall I???

Hold please…

19. 2010 September 17 9:19 am

Fire in the hole!!!!

If this is true, can a person change that much in two years? This is why there seems to be a cognitive dissonance associated with this candidate.

The tea party giant-killer who knocked off Rep. Mike Castle Tuesday is barely recognizable to them. They remember a candidate who was less interested in conservative causes than scoring a television deal, one who suggested dodging campaign vendors, believed she could give the keynote speech at the Republican National Convention and fixated on a harebrained idea to distribute tens of thousands of two-ounce suntan lotion packets to voters.

COD criticized by former aides

Comment by Jan — September 17, 2010 @ 11:03 am

20. 2010 September 17 9:21 am

BTW justrand\eph – looks like I was wrong, around the time I posted that justrand she did actually post something late this morning, apparently I’d not refreshed while getting caught up when I typed that.

So I was the idiot for not listening to EPH. !

14 – I know, that’s the best news all week.

21. 2010 September 17 9:21 am

Fire in the hole!!!

wes, the problem with people holding COD’s feet to the fire is that she is now the “star” candidate for the moment. All eyes are on her upset. People are donating to her,IMO, more because of the fanfare, than approval of her accomplishments. As I have said before, she reminds me of Obama’s political run, where it was all glitter and relatively little substance that got him into office. And, that is why so many are angry at Castle for not joining the COD bandwagon, looking at it as raining on her parade.

Comment by Jan — September 17, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

22. 2010 September 17 9:21 am

20. KOS MORON ALERT!

23. 2010 September 17 9:22 am

NEVER … EVER … QUESTION EPH!!!!

Do so at your own peril b/c I am alyways right!!!!

24. 2010 September 17 9:23 am

Eph…let’s leave a little wiggle room for her…ok?

hopefully she will get over her COD-syndrome soon! 🙂

25. 2010 September 17 9:23 am

Hey no fair I was typing my own correction during your post! 😉

26. 2010 September 17 9:23 am

Shall I continue ?????????

27. 2010 September 17 9:23 am

23 – Your not actually, just usually.

28. 2010 September 17 9:24 am

22 – Annoying agitator alert! 😉 Shall I continue?

29. 2010 September 17 9:24 am

Rand,

You know like I said before I dont mind RINO’s.

…but LYING RINOs bother me.

Dont talk smack here and then go elsewhere and talk different smack.

30. 2010 September 17 9:26 am

Now i’m pissed b/c KH made me troll the comments section at the HHR.

Thanks KH!

31. 2010 September 17 9:29 am

take a quick shower, Eph, and keep on posting! 🙂

32. 2010 September 17 9:29 am

but enough jan stuff, please. we’ve got it! 🙂

33. 2010 September 17 9:30 am

I miss Yahoo… Please come back Yahoo!!!

He was great on calling out the BJG RINOs.

I miss him

34. 2010 September 17 9:31 am

btw does Rush work anymore?

Every time I tune in lately he’s got a replacement on, almost all the replacements suck.

35. 2010 September 17 9:32 am

30 – You troll there every day anyway even when you say you don’t. Don’t put that on me. 😉

36. 2010 September 17 9:33 am

29 – Are you suggesting I do the same, if true prove it.

37. 2010 September 17 9:33 am

Eph … RINO DETECTIVE !!

38. 2010 September 17 9:34 am

KH,

I dont know…do you bash coservatives elsewhere that we should know about???

39. 2010 September 17 9:37 am

I’d love to see examples EPH where I’ve said anything significantly different when posting here vs. there during similar time frames.

40. 2010 September 17 9:38 am

38 – Which “conservatives” have I “bashed” ?

41. 2010 September 17 9:38 am

I never said you did KH. Jan is my only example…for today

42. 2010 September 17 9:39 am

No, because we all have fixations from time to time.

43. 2010 September 17 9:39 am

*sigh*

44. 2010 September 17 9:43 am

So 29 was aimed at her? That doesn’t make much sense either as she’s always said just about the same exact things here as she has there. Jan may be wrong (in your opinion or mine) but she’s been pretty consistant in her comments across both sites in my view.

45. 2010 September 17 9:45 am

KH,

As Judy already mentioned yesterday…

We know how you (Jan) feel about COD!

Get over it or move on to another topic.

46. 2010 September 17 9:47 am

btw I’m headed to court soon wish me luck. (I pulled a Kristi Noam)

47. 2010 September 17 9:50 am

45 – Are you fucking kidding me? I’ve been “over it” since mid August.
    You two brought it up in this thread.

48. 2010 September 17 9:51 am

And therefore I ask the broader question…

What good does it do the RINOs to continue to bash COD???

If she’s that bad then vote for Coons. Like Obama vs. Palin in 2012

…and dont be afraid to let everyone know that too!

49. 2010 September 17 9:51 am

good luck, KH!!! Give ’em hell!!

50. 2010 September 17 9:51 am

47. im not talking about YOU!

51. 2010 September 17 9:52 am

and Eph, KH is correct…janzam may be wrong to keep bashing O’Donnell (I think she IS wrong), but she IS being consistent! So your comment about her saying one thing here and other things elsewhere is indeed in error.

hey, I know…what if we just moved on? eh?

52. 2010 September 17 9:53 am

“What good does it do the RINOs to continue to bash COD???”

A question I’ve already asked pointed out elsewhere as you well know.

53. 2010 September 17 9:54 am

Someone please answer my question in post 48…

54. 2010 September 17 9:54 am

the Primaries are O-V-E-R

I am now working to support people I did not previously (Fiorina, for example)

we all should

55. 2010 September 17 9:54 am

Eph!!!!!! Eph

56. 2010 September 17 9:54 am

52 and the answer???

57. 2010 September 17 9:54 am

there’s your answer! 🙂

58. 2010 September 17 9:55 am

My point EPH was if you keep poking her in the eye, she’ll keep bringing it up. 😉
    Hopefully it get’s played out by the end of this week – assuming more stuff doesn’t get released to feed the meme.

59. 2010 September 17 9:55 am

54. Obviously it aint that simple

60. 2010 September 17 10:01 am

54. Rand,

Obviously RINOs hold a grudge better than you do 😉

61. 2010 September 17 10:03 am

I hold plenty of grudges! John Kerry, for example! 🙂

62. 2010 September 17 10:06 am

Rand,

At least you hold a grudge against the other side.

Unlike some people here.

63. 2010 September 17 10:23 am

EPH~~Smileys

64. 2010 September 17 10:24 am

IP,

Are you lurker?

65. 2010 September 17 10:25 am
    mpthompson permalink

btw does Rush work anymore?

One word: newlywed

66. 2010 September 17 10:26 am

das und das einzige kemosabi

67. 2010 September 17 10:26 am
    mpthompson permalink

I hold plenty of grudges! John Kerry

You mean “John F’n Kerry” don’t you?

68. 2010 September 17 10:29 am

IP, that animation is PERFECT!!! (of course, it also applies to janzam’s flogging of O’Donnell 🙂 )

69. 2010 September 17 10:31 am

Absolutely, mpt!!

Although I have altered my position on Kerry slightly over time.

I used to wish for him to die young and painfully.

But since he’s not young any more…

70. 2010 September 17 10:32 am

Rand,

what is the difference between Coons and Kerry?

NONE????

71. 2010 September 17 10:38 am
    mpthompson permalink

Justrand, have you heard the rumors that Clinton may resign from Sec. State and John F’n Kerry might be a replacement? I can’t see this happening as I don’t believe the Dems would be willing to give up another “safe” Senate seat.

Nevertheless, if this happens, we have to figure out someway of pinning a picture of Muhammad to his back the first time he goes on a Middle East trip.

72. 2010 September 17 10:46 am
    judyt2009 permalink

#19 — in answer to your question… can someone change that much in 2 years .. yes — in 2008 that candidate was looking at certain failure with zero support… in 2010 that candidate is looking at success with massive support… None of what was written about OD indicates a lack of conservative principles.

Consider the kid that is flunking out of college… who re-directs and goes on to earn a degree with honors

73. 2010 September 17 10:50 am

Judy,

I’m willing to go out on a limb and say it’s a “Catholic” thing with COD. That’s usually why RINOs hate conservatives – religion!

74. 2010 September 17 10:52 am
    judyt2009 permalink

69 roflmao…

75. 2010 September 17 11:07 am
    judyt2009 permalink

Eph — maybe, I know a lot of lapsed Catholics who get all twisted up about others practicing their religion, for that matter it isn’t limited to lapsed Catholics but others who at one time were regular church attendees who faded away. I can’t figure out if they are still feeling guilty and don’t like the reminder or have some jealousy issue that others have managed to keep the faith that they either lost or never felt.

All of human behavior can be boiled down to the seven deadly sins and seven heavenly virtues… and living on an every sliding scale in between.

76. 2010 September 17 11:07 am

Eph: “what is the difference between Coons and Kerry?”

I never heard of Coons until recently.

The week before I graduated from Marine Corps Boot Camp John Eff’ing Kerry gave his infamous “Winter Soldier” testimony. The country was enflamed and what had already been a bad situtation for service folks here Stateside got worse. They called the platoons due to graduate the next week together and “suggested” we not wear our uniforms in public when we left MCRD due to public sentiment stirred up by the testimony.

Of course, we did anyway. But that is the original source of my grudge against the dickwad. 👿
    and it’s only gotten worse!

77. 2010 September 17 11:13 am

Judy,

I always say … if you hate religion that much then join the Democrats

78. 2010 September 17 11:15 am

JBoz –

The Cubs don’t get any breaks either. The 1984 team – in my humble opinion – was the best team in baseball. Unfortunately Leon Durham spilled Gatorade all over his glove and still tried to use it. By the way, Durham is a hitting instructor for the Tigers organization.

79. 2010 September 17 11:19 am

Nobody was going to beat the 1984 Tigers. they were loaded

80. 2010 September 17 11:37 am
    judyt2009 permalink

Justrand…

I spent a significant amout of 2004 over at the Navy yard going through all of Kerry’s records. According to his reports he was the greatest sailor that ever lived… trouble is action reports from accompanying units read so differently.

If Kerry had been around 3,500 years ago we would be reading about him leading the Jews out of Egypt and parting the Red Sea and Moses would have been in a nearby wagon.

81. 2010 September 17 11:41 am

judy, you have Mr. Kerry correctly analyzed and pegged!! 🙂

82. 2010 September 17 2:02 pm
    janzam permalink

You know eph, I bet you’re the type of neighbor, with the lace curtains, who enjoys peeking out the window and looking at people, and then gossiping to the next door neighbor about it — sort of like a little ol’ lady with nothing better to do.

Nice reposting of comments made on another site. For clarity’s sake, the first post was mostly a blockquote of an article, which you made to look like it was all my words. It was what conservative aides to her 2008 campaign were scratching their heads about, in comparing the “Old COD” to the “new and improved COD”

The second one was dealing with COD’s own write-in action a few years back. Everyone is currently on Murkowski’s back, including me, for doing the exact same thing to Joe Miller. Is this a double standard? This continues to bother me about COD, that she would essentially go 3rd party herself when she lost, in the not so distant pass. So, I am questioning some of her tactics…or, according to eph’s world do we not question any conservatives on anything —-> bad Jan!

Suggestion eph —-> get a life of your own!

83. 2010 September 17 2:34 pm
    janzam permalink

Oh yes, eph, why didn’t you repost other comments I made about COD where I said there were some collateral positives to her winning DE.?

hmmmm — Eph the cherry picker….

84. 2010 September 17 2:41 pm

Back from court – KH gets to keep his license, as usual all dekaulb county really wanted was money\bribe. prosecutors assistant\negotiator was hawt though. 🙂

65 – Good point, I keep forgetting he got re-chained.

85. 2010 September 17 2:42 pm

I tried blaming Obama for the construction zone, (it was one of those recovery act bs constructions zone where I got caught speeding) as a joke, it was not appreciated. lol

86. 2010 September 17 2:56 pm

83 – Of course not. 😉

87. 2010 September 20 8:34 pm
    leftcoastrebel permalink

Excellent piece! I’ll have to come back each friday for this series. Is it true that you are the father of the inimitable Mary?

Glad I found you guys…

88. 2010 September 21 12:18 pm
    leftcoastrebel permalink

I can’t believe missed the discussion over the fake Murky site….classic! I wrote about it:

89. 2010 September 21 12:52 pm

Glad you found us too, lcr. I cannot take the credit for the Murkoiewqweirski site though, JBoz the awesome was the one who found it. We simply strive to be as awesome as he is every day.