NPR and the Liberal Subculture that Worships It

2010 November 1

The federal government needs to reduce spending.  But, where do you start? A good place to start is by looking at eliminating programs that that few can complain about being dropped. No one loses any benefits, people can’t claim kids are going to bed hungry, etc. A non-controversial program cut would appear to be public broadcasting. If it ever had a purpose, it is long past with cable and satellite television, XM radio and the Internet.

Public broadcasting serves a very small elitist segment of society. Its listeners/viewers are typically upscale and could well afford subscription radio or television. Yet, liberals view liberal radio and television whose funding is supplemented by the taxpayers as their entitlement. Perhaps the black eye public broadcasting has received because of Juan Williams firing can provide the impetus to de-fund public broadcasting. After all, it we have to suffer through Beta Prostrate and Lifelock commercials during Rush Limbaugh shouldn’t liberals be subjected to Midol commercials during their programs?

Juan Williams’s recent firing from NPR has occasioned yet another in the perennial series of arguments about the public radio network and whether it should or should not continue to be government funded. The debate so far, it must be admitted, has not been an edifying one, consisting mostly of the regurgitation of clichés.

At The Daily Beast, itself a formidable organ of the liberal establishment, Peter Beinart provided an excellent example of this, writing that “NPR is elitist, and it’s a good thing too” before trotting out almost every cliché NPR’s defenders have ever employed in defense of the network. “The people who run the station,” he writes, “believe that Americans should know more about what is happening in China and less about what is happening to Britney Spears, which in today’s media makes them downright subversive.” As proof of this, Beinart claims that “NPR now has 17 foreign bureaus compared to four for CBS,” and “NPR devotes 21 percent of its airtime to international news compared to 1 percent for commercial talk radio.”

Needless to say, these are not particularly helpful arguments. One is little more than openly acknowledged snobbery, and the other appears to make the bizarre claim that more coverage by definition equals better coverage, as if a patient were more likely to survive surgery with ten doctors in the operating room instead of one. Given the ready availability online of translated foreign media, moreover, one wonders why those interested would require their news filtered through an American radio network in the first place.

Beinart does, however, do us the service of reiterating NPR’s most beloved talking point: “NPR doesn’t get a lot of public money.” This endlessly repeated assertion is apparently so important that it appears on NPR’s own website, where it features prominently in the ombudsman’s frequently asked questions page. “NPR receives no direct funding from the federal government,” the network states. This begs the question, of course, of why — if the public money it receives is so minor — NPR and its defenders fight so ferociously to retain it.

The answer appears to be hiding in plain sight, in the networks admission that:

Approximately half of NPR’s funding comes from NPR member stations. In an average year, NPR funds about 45 percent of its operations with membership dues and program fees from member stations.

These member stations are, in turn, subsidized by local, state, and federal tax dollars. The manner in which NPR receives public funding appears, therefore, to be akin to that long-practiced method which in other contexts is known as “money laundering.” Indeed, one imagines there are drug cartels that run more honest operations.

None of this, however, makes or will make much difference to NPR’s core audience, and it is not too difficult to understand why. Put simply, NPR is for coastal liberals what Rush Limbaugh is for heartland conservatives: a means of relating to the world from within the confines of a specific subculture. The difference, of course, is that Limbaugh’s admirers do not force others to pay for it.

Read more.

Hat tip: Benjamin Kerstein/Pajamas Media

1. 2010 November 1 8:25 am

Sell it……

Lock, stock, and talent contracts….

to Hugo Chavez.

2. 2010 November 1 8:55 am

At least we still have the cheerleaders, right???

3. 2010 November 1 9:00 am

BC,

MY PREDICTIONS!

HOUSE +77
    SENATE +8
    GOV’S +12

4. 2010 November 1 9:19 am

Revised:

HOUSE +77
    SENATE +9
    GOV’S +9

5. 2010 November 1 9:29 am

Harry’s going crazy on Caroline Street

So, in order to help his campaign in Nevada, he is willing to hurt the democrat chances in the other 49 states.

Selfish bastid, I’d say.

6. 2010 November 1 9:33 am

This is change alright, but where’s the hope?

7. 2010 November 1 9:38 am

Local TV station “forgets” to run O’Donnell sport.

8. 2010 November 1 9:40 am

#7 I guess they will run some make-goods on Wednesday.

9. 2010 November 1 9:42 am

#7 WOW

10. 2010 November 1 9:46 am

BC,

Can i send you another predictions revision? hahahahaha

11. 2010 November 1 9:47 am

#10

A complete repudiation of Obama and his big-government agenda.

Sweet.

12. 2010 November 1 9:49 am

Rossi ahead in Washington.

Open up another can of whup-ass and take California.

13. 2010 November 1 9:55 am

*** BEWARE OF BOGUS POLLING DATA INCLUDING RAS TRACKING POLL ***

– YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED!

14. 2010 November 1 10:04 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Rush is on fire todday. Says it is not a Republican accendancy but a HUGE conservative one. Could not have done better, myself.

Huzzahs

15. 2010 November 1 10:06 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

My very last prediction:

Senate: 52 R, 46 dim,2 idiots
    House: 257 R, 178 idiots
    Governor: 32 R,18 dimbulbs

16. 2010 November 1 10:12 am
    mpthompson permalink

My Facebook friends aren’t responding to my taunts. They must be REALLY depressed.

17. 2010 November 1 10:16 am
    judyt2009 permalink

I have read so many predictions that I forget my own…lol.. But I think I was at +55 House, +10 Senate, and +12 Governorships (I wasn’t counting Arnold as a Republican)

Today, I submit 62 House, 10 Senate, and drop to 9 net (win 13, lose 4) Governorships.

High side…. prayerful thinking…..

I am praying to win the lottery and additional wild dreams of 88 House, 12 Senate and bump to 10 Governorship pick ups. Oh .. I can’t count RI Chaffee as a Republican either… but I am not going to give the Dems credit for him even if I should.

End totals House 263, Senate 51 and 32 Republican Governors.

Also, I believe win or lose than Manchin will flip parties before 12/31/2011. West Virginia more than trending RED now that the grand wizard is dead. He will wait for an excuse of something outrageous from the Obama administration and do a Zell Miller my party has left me.

I also predict that Webb declares himself an Independent and by the end of January both Jim and Joe Lieberman will caucus with the GOP.

18. 2010 November 1 10:20 am

“Also, I believe win or lose than Manchin will flip parties before 12/31/2011”

I agree with that too

19. 2010 November 1 10:21 am

Lieberman cant win in CT running as a Republican though – even as a RINO

20. 2010 November 1 10:22 am

Good predictions, Judy.

Could be that the obam presidency, because of its bad public policy and oppression, has actually changed the country for the better.

Ironic.

21. 2010 November 1 10:23 am
    judyt2009 permalink

My wildest dream is 289 House, 53 Senate (before Webb and Leiberman) and 33 Governor Mansions….

If MacMahon wins and the CT house is GOP, and there is a GOP pick up of House seats I think you will see Leiberman caucus with GOP.

22. 2010 November 1 10:26 am
    judyt2009 permalink

EPH — I don’t think Lieberman will change his independent affiliation just his caucus. I also think he would win re-election as an independent.

23. 2010 November 1 10:26 am
    MI Conservative permalink

24. 2010 November 1 10:29 am

Over at Polipundit leading up to the elections in 2008, I argued passionately that an obam presidency would usher in democrat domination for decades. The GOP would be lost in the wilderness, and would not rise like a phoenix from the ashes in my lifetime. I feared obam’s socialist background, his liberalism, and his criminal intent more than I hated the moderate Bush and the GOP trends.

Hopefully, I will have been proven wrong as of Wednesday.

Thanks to Sarah Palin and the tea partiers.

God Bless the USA.

25. 2010 November 1 10:29 am

24 dead link

26. 2010 November 1 10:32 am
    MI Conservative permalink

It worked for me- but it is slow sometimes.

27. 2010 November 1 10:38 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Tuesday-

1. Go to work
    2. Rush home and take a nap till 6 pm
    3. Plan on staying awake till 6 am watching results trickle in.
    (AND spreadin BS with everyone here.)
    4. Take Wed off.

28. 2010 November 1 11:07 am
    judyt2009 permalink

I just read Geraherty’s House picks over at NRO… he is estimating a 70 seat net flip for the GOP…. but I went through his list and saw at least 10 more races that I think have a solid potential to be surprise wins…

and if Moran goes down I am going to drive to Alexandria so I can join the festival in Old Town…. to be sure there will be police cars overturned and set on fire, windows smashed open, countless shops looted, people injured, and the firetrucks and EMTs prevented from reaching their destination as the the roaming bands of unruly violent citizens take to the streats in celebration….

OH, wait, it will be conservatives and moderates celebrating not liberals and Dimwits… so none of the above will happen. Instead there will be cheers and a few drinks but there will be no property damage, no laws broken, no persons harmed or endangered during the celebration.

BTW — anyone hear how many park police vehicles were damaged during the Rally to Restore Sanity….I certainly hope the Park Service sends Comedy Central or at least Stewart and Cobert the bill to replace the vehicles.

29. 2010 November 1 11:22 am

28. impressive!

30. 2010 November 1 11:22 am

31. 2010 November 1 11:26 am
    judyt2009 permalink

#28 — that is generally my plan too!!!!

I am definitely taking Wednesday off… because I would be useless at work.

32. 2010 November 1 11:33 am

Tuesday-

1. Go to work
    2. Rush home and wait for BC’s cheerleader pics
    3. Plan on staying awake till BC posts more cheerleader pics
    4. Download cheerleader pics

33. 2010 November 1 11:42 am
    MI Conservative permalink

34. 2010 November 1 11:46 am

35. 2010 November 1 11:49 am

I’d take Wednesday off from homeschooling, but somehow I don’t think my boy will appreciate his mom’s hungoverness as an excuse. Light celebrating for me tomorrow. lol

36. 2010 November 1 11:54 am
    janzam permalink

MI

I read that Strata-Sphere article earlier this morning. It capsulates the mood of this election very well. I’ve been off-line for 4 days, and it seems that the tide has turned even more towards the GOP over the weekend. The generic polling is unbelievable. The races that are tightening, like WA, are so encouraging. This may very well be an election to be remembered for a lifetime.

One poster’s comment sums up what may very well happen —-> “This is the election that will save America!”

37. 2010 November 1 12:14 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

That’s a great video of Bush 1 and 2 at the World Series. Thanks for posting. I was going to look it up and forgot.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

38. 2010 November 1 12:20 pm

I’m taking the day off tomorrow to alternately work the phones, blog and nap! 🙂

At 5:00 p.m. SHARP the cap comes off a bottle of Oban Single Malt Scotch whiskey! I have a bag of fresh ice, and a nice crystal glass I save for special occaisions!!

I’ll start out: “USA…USA…” and wind up “Ushhhayyy…Ussssssaaaayyyyyyyyyyy”

🙂

39. 2010 November 1 12:20 pm

40. 2010 November 1 12:26 pm
    beej permalink

“This is the election that will save America!”

Disagree with that poster, Jan, to this extent: This election is only the beginning. This is going to be a tough fight. The new class will have a tough row to hoe, and they have got to know WE ARE WATCHING. We may be making history here, but we could end up getting more of the same ol’ same ol. (even Mr. Smith got derailed for a bit.) The Trent Lotts’ of the GOP are hoping so, hoping they can co-opt the newbies and train them up in the way the OLD GOP has been going…I’m looking at this tremendous election as only the beginning of the changes. There is a LOT to be undone, and it’s not just this admin’s doing.

41. 2010 November 1 12:31 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

I will be lucky if I get in front of the TV before 9 pm. I am going to rely heavily upon Mark Levin. As I will be driving from about 6 pm to 9 pm, I wonder if I dare surf BJG when I am driving????

But by 9 pm shouldn’t we have a clear idea of some very important races?

42. 2010 November 1 12:36 pm

My sentiments for THE MORROW

43. 2010 November 1 12:46 pm

For Eph

Hey! That’s my cousin, Punky, where did you get the photos?

44. 2010 November 1 12:54 pm

beej, in many ways yes. This election is our El Alamein. We need to get a super majority in the House in 2012, kick the punk out of the Oval Office and see a Republican Senate. Then we need to spend the rest of the decade kicking Liberals out of education at all levels and eliminate federal funding for all NGO’s. Maybe even defund a few federal agencies.

45. 2010 November 1 12:56 pm

Good News from Alaska

I presume this was taken before Palin teed-off on the “Corrupt Bastards” on national TV.

46. 2010 November 1 12:58 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

I suspect that with polls opening at 6 am tomorrow morning by 6:15am we will have our first reports that machines in Philly, Delaware, Connecticut, Florida, New York and all across the east coast opened with votes for the Dimwit already on the machine. I am worried about North Carolina precincts having some serious flaws this time around s there are too many close races in the area.

There is a precinct in Philly that is known for beginning the day with 10,000 votes for the dimwits already on the machines.

Hold onto your heads tomorrow because there will be many reports of voter fraud, irregularities, and threatening behavior that would make the NBPs look like 5 year old girls playing tea party. At some point you will start to believe that the human race isn’t worth saving.

The dimwits have always cheated. They are not going to stop now. The only difference is that now there are going to be TEA Party people (and GOP operatives) at most known areas of fraud to keep their eyes on the poll workers and the community organizers.

I suspect that Michael Steele will be before cameras before 11 pm discussing these reports of wide spread fraud and the actions being taken by GOP to stop this activity.

There will be precinct poll judges and workers have emotional melt downs and walking out because they will crack under the pressure of wanting to cheat and being watched.

Most have never seen races this close and they will not be able to handle the emotional pressure of being watched.

I am not saying that every poll worker is corrupt. But there are some precincts that have had been run by the same poll judge or captain for a very long time and they have treated voting in their precinct as their own little fiefdom. They feel pressure to deliver their precinct for the dimwit chosen candidate. Generally these are not swing districts but heavily dimwit districts. They always report their vote totals late… after the swing districts so they know how many additional votes they must add to their totals in order to compensate for a swing precinct that goes against their chosen DemocRAT.

There success also determines how much walking around money they get for their precinct. Vote getting is a commission based business for these folks.

Sadly, if the average citizen knew how much these folks have cheated in the past I wonder if they would be totally demoralized or would they rise up and demand expansive changes in how America votes.

I know all these dimwits will claim Florida 2000 as a site of Republican cheating… but it was not. It was a problem of a Democrat poorly designed ballot. When this ballot design problem created the improbable situation of Pat Buchanan getting thousands of votes in Broward County Florida… well the Dimwits did everything they could in controlling the recount to count every possible Gore vote and deny every possible Bush vote.

There was no election day or pre-election day “cheating” by Republicans. There was not post election day recount cheating by Republicans. The Republicans just wanted the same standards applied to “votes” counted for Gore when counting votes for Bush. The Democrats did not want this … they only wanted to recount the heavily Democrat counties.

When all Florida votes were recounted by the NYT Bush won. Of course you never heard any of that from the moonbats suffering BDS.

Again, they did not want to be confused with facts.

47. 2010 November 1 12:58 pm

WHERE HAVE ALL THE LIBERALS GONE

Where have all the liberals gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the liberals gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the liberals gone?
    tea partiers have porked them every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

Where have all the lefties gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the lefties gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the lefties gone?
    Taken the gas pipe every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

Where have all the moonbats gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the moonbats gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the moonbats gone?
    Gone to the funny farm every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

Where have all the demokrats gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the demokrats gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the demokrats gone?
    Gone to graveyards every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

Where have all the graveyards gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the graveyards gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the graveyards gone?
    They’re filled with deranged moonbats everyone.
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

48. 2010 November 1 12:59 pm

Seen this? Lucky for us its a little late. The hate Palin crowd lost the day that Palin announced she was stepping down as governor. That freed her to launch a massive can of whupass.

49. 2010 November 1 1:03 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Oops… I think Steele addresses reports of wide spread voter fraud before noon tomorrow … before 11 AM (not PM)

50. 2010 November 1 1:20 pm

Folks in Cali have another vote on Friday to watch out for. http://www.businessinsider.com/calstrs-pension-vote-2010-11

Is they lower the rate, the State picks up the tab???

51. 2010 November 1 1:22 pm
    janzam permalink

Judy

The “saving America” comment I reposted here from another poster, I interpreted to mean as this election being a “doorstop” disallowing the door to open any further to Obama’s left-wing agenda. Once said policies are stemmed though, it remains to be seen how a new congress would take their mandate and implement undoing what has been done these past few years.

Hopefully, the conservative newbies coming into Congress, aided and abetted by ongoing checks and balances of the tea party, will remain focused on the people of this country rather than the senior members of the GOP, left standing, who might think they are there to realign the newbies’ thinking.

52. 2010 November 1 1:26 pm
    janzam permalink

drdog,

I saw that article earlier this morning. It’s depressing how insulated the public sector pensions are from financial reality because of the various deals that have been struck and placed in stone by their union leaders. The people of CA, mainly the taxpayers, are on the hook for everyone and everything here.

53. 2010 November 1 1:34 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Jan… I think you meant to respond to beej….

Did anyone read the comment to the link in 49?

Oh my… well for the first, no second, okay maybe the third time today I am really proud of my fellow citizens (and conservative blog posters) 🙂

Seems that ripping the DNC more A$$holes to go with their major A$$hole… (now exactly how does one rip a new one on one?) is the major pasttime of those posting comments to Ben Smith’s story(?)… by the ? I mean is it a story or just an attempt to expanding the viewing of the dimwit commercial.

54. 2010 November 1 1:35 pm

drdog09 –

What’s there to be afraid of? Doesn’t every woman know how to use an assault rifle?

55. 2010 November 1 1:37 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Did anyone hear Rush? The lame ducks already have the legislation to nationalize all our 401Ks and IRAs into a government managed fund…. gee I bet I could get a SES position at that agency managing everyone’s 401Ks.

They take your retirement account and give you a 5% annuity.

56. 2010 November 1 1:38 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Oh… the 5% annunity means that you must live at least 20 years to collect the balance of your retirement balance… not sure what happens if you live more than 20 years past retirement as I did not hear about what happens to the potential earnings on the balance.

57. 2010 November 1 1:42 pm

Judyt2009 –

The next two months are going to be ugly, especially if the Dems lose the House and Reid loses to Angle.

58. 2010 November 1 1:44 pm

Judy,

If you do take position, be sure to put a button that says — “I didn’t take your money.” Otherwise you might get caught in the stampede that wants to tear the head of whoever runs that agency.

59. 2010 November 1 1:44 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Looking at Drudge… plus it is on local radio… the suspected murderer of Chandra Levy is on trial this week…

Does anyone remember what took Chandra Levy off the front page of the news?

……… a beautiful morning in September 2001…that turned very ugly.

60. 2010 November 1 1:48 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

bc3b… you mean the next two months will get uglier… it has been pretty ugly around here for 2/4 years if you ask me.

61. 2010 November 1 1:53 pm

Something you won’t see on network or CNN tonight. Muslim woman stabs British MP twice.

62. 2010 November 1 1:54 pm
    TLS permalink

“This is the election that will save America!”

This is the election we’ve been waiting for 🙂

63. 2010 November 1 1:54 pm

It’s gonna get uglier because in the old days the RINOs would roll over and play dead. With tje Tea Party, DeMint and Palin they are scared to.

64. 2010 November 1 1:55 pm

BC,

Have you gotten a lot of responses for the election contest?

65. 2010 November 1 1:59 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

DrDog… I am waiting for that unemployed person who goes into total meltdown and goes postal on federal employees…

I am still waiting for news on our COLA raises this year….if anything like the last few years (2% – 4%) I suspect that person going postal will be a senior citizen who uses all of their $250 check to buy the bullets.

66. 2010 November 1 2:12 pm

Eph –

Only about five.

REMEMBER TO ENTER OUR CONTEST TO SEE WHO CAN COME CLOSEST TO PREDICTING THE MAKE UP OF THE NEW HOUSE SENATE AND GOVERNORSHIPS. ENTER BY 11 PM (EASTERN TIME) TONIGHT. SEND YOUR GUESTIMATES TO bjgfootball@hotmail.com

67. 2010 November 1 2:13 pm
    TLS permalink

Here’s a good laugh from NEWSWEEK of all places: 5 signs your campaign is toast.

68. 2010 November 1 2:16 pm

69. 2010 November 1 2:16 pm

67. THAT REALLY SUCKS!

Come on people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70. 2010 November 1 2:19 pm

67. Thread that email address and you might get more responses.

Just a post wont do that much good.

71. 2010 November 1 2:22 pm

#56 WTH?!?!?!?!?! I knew they would do it eventually, but right now? What is stopping me from draining it dry before they complete the task? Will they provision a way to keep me from being able to access it once the law is passed?

72. 2010 November 1 2:26 pm

The pic on Drudge of them praying……I’m surprised lightening didn’t strike. No way they are praying to God. Maybe satan is taking requests today.

73. 2010 November 1 2:34 pm

RCP now says +70 in the House more likely.

It’s RCP folks!

74. 2010 November 1 2:44 pm

Hey … look who I found….

all around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel….. up pops the weasel….

75. 2010 November 1 2:45 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

EPh no fair I just submitted my guess….

Looks like I am going to have to revise at before 11 pm tonight…lol.

76. 2010 November 1 2:48 pm

Well, we all (or most) defaulted to Romney in 2008 after Thompson failed to materialize.

Hope the stable has a few more thoroughbreds this time around.

77. 2010 November 1 2:59 pm

78. 2010 November 1 3:00 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

Mullet.. well I defaulted to Romney but I still thought he had a lot of weasels working in his campaign… they were a pretty nasty, dirty tricks, back stabbing crew… and I hold the guy at the top accountable for his staff and volunteers.

79. 2010 November 1 3:02 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

As far as McCain’s staff goes.. well I knew they were all center left Rinos and most did not present themselves as anything but… so at least I give them points for honesty before subtracting them all away for being non-conservatives.

80. 2010 November 1 3:21 pm

No legislation has passed concerning the grab of 401k’s as yet, and with a GOP house, it isn’t about to.It would be unlikely that this kind of confiscation would never pass SCOTUS muster. if it looked like they were even getting close, people would just cash in their accounts and take the proceeds and run.. preventing them from doing so would also require legislation, and the money would be withdrawn before the congress could act. This of course would hammer the market, when everyone dumped the stock therin.

81. 2010 November 1 3:23 pm
    mpthompson permalink

#56, I heard that as well on Rush, but I think it’s all a bunch of BS. Sure some wacky congress critters probably came up with a bill to do what he stated, but I believe there are is something like a backlog of 500 House bills waiting to get to the Senate. Confiscating 401K and IRAs would seriously tear the Democrat party apart, if not the entire nation. Not going to happen.

Besides, I don’t see much happening in the lame duck session. The Dem congress critters will be tripping over themselves trying to grab the few lobbying openings before their staffers gets them.

82. 2010 November 1 3:25 pm

#82 and #83 I don’t know what to think anymore. I will say this though, if by some chance they do accomplish this, I will withdraw each and every penny, taxes be damned. I would rather get something after taxes than nothing at all.

83. 2010 November 1 3:30 pm
    mpthompson permalink

JM, if such a bill were to go through, you wouldn’t have to worry about paying taxes on your withdrawal the next year as their wouldn’t be a functioning government to pay taxes to. If you want something to worry about, look for some type of amnesty to be on the plate for the two weeks that congress is in session. Amnesty would be the Dems last gasp at creating a +20M Hispanic voter block and it would be impossible to repeal once it was passed.

84. 2010 November 1 3:30 pm

If they try to grab private assets without due compensation via the 5th amend. and the courts let them, it will then becomes pitchforks and and tar time. it ain’t gonna happen, as it would destroy the market.

85. 2010 November 1 3:31 pm
    mpthompson permalink

IP we would move from a pre-revolutionary environment to a revolutionary environment.

86. 2010 November 1 3:32 pm

post 85

I wouldn’t be suprised to see obumbler grant mass amnesty to illegals,much the same as carter did for the draft dodgers.

87. 2010 November 1 3:33 pm

MPT~~~cry havoc, and loose the dogs of war.

88. 2010 November 1 3:37 pm
    mpthompson permalink

If Obama unilaterally granted mass amnesty it would mean instant impeachment with half of whatever Dems still remained in congress going along with the GOP. I’m not saying the unstable SOB wouldn’t try it, but such an act would be his last.

89. 2010 November 1 3:42 pm
    mpthompson permalink

This could be more NYT BS so take it with a grain of salt, but this article about about Jeb Bush is all the reminder I need as to why we should never let another Bush anywhere near the White House. Just like his father and brother, the guy would sell out conservatives in a heart beat. We don’t want compromise with the left, we want their utter and total defeat.

90. 2010 November 1 3:46 pm

MPT

I would like to think that, but the the remaining dems would be the more leftist of the left over dregs, and they wouldn’t raise a finger to complain, and would probably cheer him on. It would of course make him a lame duck mother f–k from then on.

91. 2010 November 1 3:49 pm
    mpthompson permalink

IP, liberal or not, the remaining Dems are politicians first. Except for those in deep, deep blue districts the rest will be in survival mode should Obama pull such a stunt.

92. 2010 November 1 3:52 pm

These degenerate ditch carp will be seeking some kind of revenge during lame duck.

93. 2010 November 1 4:16 pm
    mpthompson permalink

IP, that is entirely possible and I think Pelosi/Reid will do their best stab the America in the back one more time, but the odds are equally great that the bastards will be at each others throats more than anything else. I would love to see the smug Schumer be tossed aside just to see the look on his face.

94. 2010 November 1 4:39 pm

My Nov 2 Day Planner:

Vote? Check.
    Chips? Check.
    Salsa? Check.
    Brewskies? Check.
    BJG / Hot Air / Fox News? Check.

95. 2010 November 1 4:44 pm

Seen on Hot Air:

Just a reminder: See a doctor for erections lasting four hours or longer.

There are some pretty excited people out there.

96. 2010 November 1 4:44 pm

For anyone who submits multiple guesstimates, I will use the last one submitted. No “Mitt Romney” guesstimates (submitting guesstimates on Wednesday morning).

97. 2010 November 1 4:49 pm

Hey, where is everyone?

98. 2010 November 1 4:53 pm
    brucefdb permalink

We’re all busy reading your posts mpt.

I’m very ready for tomorrow….I’m so ready I will probably even watch the Ted Baxter show (also known as BOR).

99. 2010 November 1 4:55 pm
    theghostofreason permalink

I just returned from haunting the neighborhood last night. All the not-so-fortunate kids are brought to our neighborhood to trick or treat. I knew about 10% of the kids that came to our door. Out here in California reason is just a mythical word. Kids kept looking at me last night and asking their parents what kind of ghost I was. The answer from the moonbats was same thing over and over….. that is the scariest type of ghost there is, ….that ghost wants US to work for OUR things……..

100. 2010 November 1 4:59 pm

I just got home…I am pumped up! gonna go feed my puppy and check out the blogs

tomorrow is phone calls and blogging…all GOTV all day!

then celebration libations!!

101. 2010 November 1 4:59 pm

“Hey, where is everyone?”

Off making sure everyone in my rolodex has voted or plans to tomorrow.

102. 2010 November 1 5:05 pm
    mpthompson permalink

If BOR is Ted Baxter, who is Hannity?

103. 2010 November 1 5:07 pm

I’m in California. Believe me, you don’t want the people I know voting. 🙁

104. 2010 November 1 5:11 pm

105. 2010 November 1 5:12 pm
    mpthompson permalink

BTW, if he Giants win tonight a side benefit would be many in the Bay Area being so hung over they will find it difficult to make their way to the polls. That would help Carly and Meg.

106. 2010 November 1 5:18 pm

Nothing ever happens to those caught cheating… it’s why it gets worse every year.
    What will be really entertaining is if the wave does not materialize and the gop only gets like +40\+5 and everyone is just standing around looking at each other like WTF?

107. 2010 November 1 5:19 pm

mpt: “The icing on the cake tomorrow would be Dems being so desperate that they get caught at cheating and voter intimidation so blatant that not even the MSM can cover for them.

mpt…you’re kidding, right?

The New Black Panthers could beat a flock of nuns to death using baby seals as clubs, steal the ballots the nuns were walking forwards to cast, and then set fire to the nuns, ballots AND seals…and the LSM would simply yawn.

sorry to burst your bubble 👿

108. 2010 November 1 5:23 pm
    mpthompson permalink

and the LSM would simply yawn.

The LSM is so 1990’s. It’s the Internet baby… It would be red meat for the Tea Party to gnaw on until the next election cycle starts.

109. 2010 November 1 5:23 pm
    retlaw permalink

IP #31

that picture you have of the BAT WAVE (#31 above)–hate to tell ya, Bud,
    but that picture is an old one. That is what the wave looked like 3 days ago when it was just a pup.

110. 2010 November 1 5:26 pm
    mpthompson permalink

What will be really entertaining is if the wave does not materialize…

Hey dude, you are raining on my parade…

111. 2010 November 1 5:27 pm
    retlaw permalink

Are we supposed to give BC our election results predictions?

If so I’ll dial in…

House R+68 (net gain)
    Senate R +8
    Governors R +9 (pure guess on this one–have not followed Gov. races at all)

House and Senate might be low, due to my conservative nature. If it’s higher than that–all the more reason to celebrate as it will exceed my expectations.

112. 2010 November 1 5:29 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Is this the best they have on the eve of the election? LOL!

113. 2010 November 1 5:30 pm

I don’t know if any of you saw Sarah on BORe, but she was pretty much playing “Rope a Dope” with him deflecting all his “gotcha” questions. She is on fire this week.

114. 2010 November 1 5:32 pm
    retlaw permalink

I rigged up a conveyor belt contraption to load and bring the popcorn from the two tractor trailer trucks over my back deck and through the window in the family room. That will save me the trouble of having to run outside for popcorn refills so often when I am watching election results tomorrow night.

The tanker truck of Miller Light is due to arrive tomorrow about 6 p.m.

115. 2010 November 1 5:36 pm
    TLS permalink

Last minute update from Tom Tancredo, Sarah Palin has issued an endorsement for him today and has robo calls running today and tomorrow.

116. 2010 November 1 5:37 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Agree, bc3b, Sarah gets better and better. Watch out GOP elites.

117. 2010 November 1 5:44 pm

118. 2010 November 1 5:58 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

SARAH!!!!

119. 2010 November 1 6:03 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

mp-only gonna get worse.

120. 2010 November 1 6:03 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

dems were ungracious winners, and are very ungracious when losing.

In other words, they are Assholes!!!

121. 2010 November 1 6:08 pm
    beej permalink

Just heard that PJ O’Rourke says this isn’t so much a referendum against Obama as a restraining order.

heh.

122. 2010 November 1 6:12 pm

It would appear that Dr. dog has a problem

123. 2010 November 1 6:16 pm

If BOR is Ted Baxter, who is Hannity?

The character Venus Flytrap from ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’.

124. 2010 November 1 6:18 pm

MPT new gravatar 🙂

125. 2010 November 1 6:19 pm

Hannity.

Hey, the guys heart is in the right place and he does great things for the families of the troops, but I find him almost impossible to listen to.

126. 2010 November 1 6:22 pm

That’s a first, a hairlip mutley.

127. 2010 November 1 6:23 pm

Nah. That’s how ya get’em close enough to turn them into venison…. Notice the teeth?

128. 2010 November 1 6:24 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM RP: NOVEMBER 1 2010

I AM DECLARING MYSELF THE LEADER OF THE “TEA PARTY”. PLEASE VOTE TO KEEP ME THERE.

I AM SENDING MY REPRESENTATIVES TO WASHINGTO DESTROY LIBERALS AND THEIR AGENDA.

NO COMPROMISE ON ANYTHING. FROM HENCEFORTH, WE WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU REFERRED TO US AS THE “GRIDLOCK PARTY”

THANK YOU, LOYAL FOLLOWERS.

129. 2010 November 1 6:27 pm

Does that mean I need to call you GP rather than RP?

130. 2010 November 1 6:29 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

#106 … count on it… with reports coming in before you are even out of bed tomorrow morning…

131. 2010 November 1 6:31 pm

132. 2010 November 1 6:32 pm

GRIDLOCK PARTY

I was having lunch with a friend the other day who knows I’m a conservative and he asked me if I knew that a Republican victory on Tuesday just means gridlock for the next two days. I told him “After the last two years that is exactly what I want.” It simply did not compute for him that I could see gridlock as a good thing.

Block it until we can reverse it.

133. 2010 November 1 6:32 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Grand Poobah will be OK. Also, dear leader, your worshipfulness, your magesty is acceptable, but Gridlock President would be better 😆

134. 2010 November 1 6:34 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

BC… xorry I missed it… I will say that Sarah has really come into her own… I did watch her with Chris Wallace yesterday and I thought she really brought an A game and really left Chris stumbling a time or two…

at one point she even schooled him on where he was wrong on something… she was on fire…

I pray for her to improve each day… and I pray that all those brainwashed minds are opened and allowed to see…. if she continues to progress in 2011 at the same pace as she has just this summer… well in 2o12 Obama will be found hiding under the misquotes in his office rug.

135. 2010 November 1 6:37 pm
    judyt2009 permalink

I am also hoping that all those idiots who voted for Obama out of the novelty of voting for a black man if necessary will be just as ignorantly inclined in 2012 to decide the novelty of voting for a woman the next big thing (of course Hillary does not qualify in that regard… for she may be female, but as to being a woman… well

136. 2010 November 1 6:37 pm

drdog09 –

Right show but wrong character – Herb Tarlick (the advertising salesman) from the hair to not being able to stop talking and sticking his foot in his mouth,

137. 2010 November 1 6:42 pm

Judy –

Here’s Palin today on Cavuto. Cavuto, who has not been a Palin fan remarks on how she has improved her game.

138. 2010 November 1 6:44 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#45 The first and by far highest priority for the new conservative/R Congress is the immediate defunding/repeal of CrappyCare……

There will be no such thing as a real Conservative in 10 years once the dependency on govt run HC sets in ala the UK or Canada…….

We will be a one-ideology country – what kind of party hat the Statist politican wears isnt important…..

After dismantling the govt medical takeover the priorites must then be dismantling of the Banking and education takeovers……..real entitlement reform to make the programs voluntary and under private individual ownership IOT avert bankruptcy……..

Then dismantling of the regulatory/nanny state is next…..

High taxes, massive debt, politcal corruption, and a trashed economy are all just symptoms…..

Statism and acceptance of unlimted government intervention is the REAL PROBLEM…..without getting rid of this failed notion and a return of the American Idea as being central to our society/governance we will never recover as a Nation/People

Just my humble opinion…..

BTW

+67 R in the House
    +8 in the Senate
    +9 Governorships

So thats 245R/190D House, 51 D (and so-called I)/49 R, and 31 R/19 D governorships

Do I still have to email this in to enter the BJG prediction contest?

139. 2010 November 1 6:45 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Sarah is like your parents who were so dumb, when you were 16, but really got so smart by the time you were 24.

140. 2010 November 1 7:13 pm

I just did a scan through the latest/last batch of PPP polls…every single one seems to be BS, designed to influence the results, not guage public sentiment.

At this point the polls are meaningless…it’s up to the people who have been pissed on for 2 years to rise up and halt the enemy at the gates. Yes, I know the Dems have controlled Congress for 4 years. But the total ARROGANCE didn’t come to the fore until Lord Obama showed up!

24 hours from now…we’ll know!

141. 2010 November 1 7:17 pm

116 – lol

142. 2010 November 1 7:23 pm

RP, YES SIR!

BC,

I thought about Herb, but I never recalled Hannity wearing a checkered suit.

143. 2010 November 1 7:25 pm

Hannity would have (worn checkered suits) in the 1970s.

144. 2010 November 1 7:30 pm

At 16 you were using THEIR checks. At 24 you are using YOUR checks.

145. 2010 November 1 7:36 pm

146. 2010 November 1 7:41 pm
    JBoz permalink

SF Giants win the WS. Lots of celebrating in the bay area tonight. Water cooler talk across CA tomorrow is Giants, not voting. Does this impact the Senate or Gov races, or no effect?

147. 2010 November 1 7:44 pm

No effect I think.

148. 2010 November 1 7:44 pm

#149 If it did impact it, my guess is it would impact it in our favor. Hell, when it rains less dems turn out, so mass hangovers, combined with general apathy? It couldn’t hurt. Our side, I think, would be out voting come hell or high water.

149. 2010 November 1 7:46 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Does this impact the Senate or Gov races, or no effect?

I think it will for the reasons you state — it will be the topic of conversation all around the Bay Area tomorrow and the election will be an afterthought. Given the area is overwhelmingly liberal any distraction will allow the more conservative inland votes count even more.

150. 2010 November 1 7:51 pm

Do the lefties really care about sports that much?? I don’t think so, as it is a competitive enterprise, and there are winners and losers, an anathema to the tea sipping effete snobs.

151. 2010 November 1 7:56 pm

#153 Big wins are as good a reason as any to sneak alcohol down to the basement and party while your parents are sleeping upstairs (someone has to get up for work in the morning!).

152. 2010 November 1 8:03 pm

I missed the after game trophy ceremony. Was Obama named MVP?

153. 2010 November 1 8:06 pm

A gift for the DIMS

154. 2010 November 1 8:06 pm

No Harry Reid was, because we all know he’s responsible for everything good that happens in the world and none of the bad.

155. 2010 November 1 8:07 pm

No, but he threw out the ceremonial last pitch.

It landed 18 feet from the home plate, wide left, and rolled into the dugout. Well, it didn’t quite make the dugout.

156. 2010 November 1 8:08 pm

Teresa thanks you for your gift purchase.

157. 2010 November 1 8:10 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Do the lefties really care about sports that much?

Yeah, kinda. The few season ticket holders I know are big lefties.

My hope is the lefties will bask in the glow of victory to avoid the defeat they will experience at the polls. Even if it just distracts a percent or two, it could spell the difference in a few races.

158. 2010 November 1 8:20 pm

Here’s hoping as that huge wave of angry voters breaks across the atlantic coast to the heart land through the plains heading to the pacific coast – that the kool aid drinkers on the coast will drop their crayons and run for high ground prior to voting.

Maybe, just maybe this will be enough for Whitman & Fiorina to squeak out victories.

159. 2010 November 1 8:30 pm
    retlaw permalink

IP says:
    “Do the lefties really care about sports that much?”

Hey, I’m a southpaw and was a pitcher and I played lots of sports…OOOOH, you mean THOSE kind of “lefties”.

160. 2010 November 1 8:40 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Whitman is not a victory for the right, but it would at least be denying the left a victory.

161. 2010 November 1 8:41 pm

162. 2010 November 1 9:35 pm

163 – Sort of …

I look at is like this… let them have Brown and Vote for prop whatever the hell and give the legislature back majority rules……. just expedite the collapse of the state as we know it, which in the end is better then dragging it out.

163. 2010 November 1 9:38 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Agree. And I live in the state. Just keep the Feds from bailing out the state.

164. 2010 November 1 9:43 pm

#165 I agree-ish. I secretly don’t care if Brown wins- because I think Meg only buys a little time anyway, and I would rather a dem be at the helm when this state completely collapses. Having said that, with or without a Brown/Meg win, prop 25 CAN NOT pass. It just can’t. Some of us can’t leave right away, and that would spell financial doom for those of us who are tied for reasons beyond our control. Anyone not on welfare will suffer. Some of the other props I am concerned about, but none more so than 25.

165. 2010 November 1 10:11 pm

100% on the NO STATE BAILOUTS. Course you know it’s going to happen anyway, and it’ll not be titled the “bailouts for irresponsible states bill”.

So if the State dissolves (I don’t even know if that’s possible) does that mean Carly and Diane have to be ejected out of the senate? I know it’s a dumb theoretical I’m just curious.

166. 2010 November 1 10:21 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#168 Not necessarially do the witches leave the Senate if California goes bust……there is precident from the Civil War where a few southern Senators who remained loyal to the Union retained their Senate seats……the most notable of which was a certain Andrew Johnson……a life-long Democrat who became Lincoln’s VP nominee since Abe wanted to court some of the pro-Union northern Democrat vote in the 1864 election……Johnson then became President in 1865 after the Lincoln assination

Needess to say, Johnson noted clashes with the radical Republicans led directly to his impeachment (the first time it had been done in U.S. history)……..which he surivived by only one vote……needless to say, he had an obstinate and arrogant streak similar to that of the Kalifornia Senate witches……condesention: a Democrat thing I guess lol

167. 2010 November 1 10:26 pm

169 – Thanks for that little bit of history I didn’t know (or forgot).