A Dark Age Indeed

2011 March 26

And on the subject of scary:

The Coming Dark Age, indeed

Spotted this link on a climate web site:

Lawrence Solomon: Don’t count on constant electricity under renewable energy, says UK electricity CEO

— Bruce F. Webster

Readers should be aware of Jane Jacobs, Dark Age Ahead. Civilization is more fragile than most believe. Note that a true dark age comes not when we lose the ability to do something, but forget that we ever had that ability: as for instance no university Department of Education seems aware that in the 1930’s to the end of World War II, essentially the only adult illiterates in the United States were people who had never been to school to begin with (see the Army’s tests of conscripts). My mother had a 2-year Normal School degree and taught first grade in rural Florida, not considered a high intelligence population. I once asked her if any of her students left first grade without learning to read. She said, “Well, there were a few, but they didn’t learn anything else, either.” The notion that a child could get out of elementary school unable to read was simply shocking up to about 1950 when new University Education Department theories of reading emerged. Now a majority of students read “below grade level” and actual functional illiteracy approaches 15%.

About 14 percent of U.S. adults won’t be reading this article. Well, okay, most people won’t read it, given all the words that are published these days to help us understand and navigate the increasingly complex world.

But about 1 in 7 can’t read it. They’re illiterate.

From Jerry Pournelle’s website. His is a location I go to at least once a week when I can. Its plain, but he minces not about the flash and concentrates on the meat of the matter. in that particular case he is recounting the current abysmal record we have on literacy considering the monies we pour into public education.

But I have a more frightening thought. What if the dumb down on literacy is INTENTIONAL? From a domestic perspective it would be easier on the Dept of Ed to meet its goals if the results were so manipulated to reflect results but only hide the failures on the ground. An lo, its happening. States are being recommended to lower their objectives in standardized testing. A population of quasi-literates would also be easier to control by the `elite`. Again we see that occurring on a broad scale in the US.

On the foreign front a population barely able to communicate is less capable of tactical and strategic warfare. They become on the whole less competitive in the marketplace. Essentially you don’t conquer a country bodily but mentally. Patience is required as it might take 2-3 generations to accomplish. But once its done you have not only have a willful population but its resources and geopolitical assets.

Dark indeed.

1. 2011 March 26 12:20 pm

we live in a place where the power goes out a lot…and at our cabin it goes out more. So we’ve learned how to make do without electricity for short periods. But we eventually (soon) need to get a generator…or two.

at the cabin we can heat the whole place with our wood burning stove…and we live in a forest with LOTS of wood. We can also cook on the wood burning stove.

And we love to read actual by-God paper paged BOOKS. And no matter how old our books are (and we have some old ones) they NEVER need to be plugged in!!! 🙂

2. 2011 March 26 12:52 pm

DrD,

I shall tell you a story of my life.

I was born in a third world country called East Tennessee in 1945. We had no electricity ( I was 6 when the TVA finshed South Holston Dam), had a huge wood burning stove and firplace for heat, an outside toilet, no automobile, no health services, nor much of anything else. So, I could survive now because I learned all the skills to do so then.

I have painted a dismal picture of my childhood, but do not be dismayed.I had some things going for me. I had a family that truly loved each other, Neighbors who saw to each other, a little Baptist church (of which I attend not after moving back here), Parents who taught me about God and Country and the value of education. The High School which I attended had 64 in my Senior class, but the education I recieved there was probably as good as a College Grad recieved today. We had cows, pigs, chickens, and an ample garden. We canned most of our vegetables and slaughtered as necessary. There was plenty of hunting and fishing. There was very little, if any, government influence.

If you want to know the truth, If I had an opportunity, I would have raised my children and would raise my grandchildren in the same manner
    , but due to government interference, was not allowed to do so.

Yes, we have gained a lot in those 65 years, but we have lost much in the process. We will survive, because we know how, but many won’t.

3. 2011 March 26 12:57 pm

I live back in the woods, you see
    A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
    I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
    And a country boy can survive
    Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long
    I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
    We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
    Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do
    We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine
    And a country boy can survive
    Country folks can survive

Because you can’t starve us out
    And you can’t make us run
    Cuz we’re them old boys raised on shotgun
    And we say grace and we say Ma’am
    And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coalmines
    And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies
    And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line
    And a country boy can survive
    Country folks can survive

~~ Hank, Jr and RP

4. 2011 March 26 1:01 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

And mullet, too, if I guess right!!!

5. 2011 March 26 1:04 pm

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. Has it ever occurred to you, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?…The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.” -1984

6. 2011 March 26 1:25 pm

RP –

In a former life I worked for an RV manufacturer and went to New Tazewell quite frequently. Did you live anywhere close to there?

7. 2011 March 26 1:27 pm

YES!!!!!! This is FANTASTIC news.

8. 2011 March 26 1:29 pm

RP,

With a few tweaks, my experience growing up in Florida is the same. My elementary school had 30 students, 3 teachers. I also remember my grandmother teaching the field hands children. My grandfather passed away of a heart attack that today they would cure with a aortic stint. We gained a lot but have lost some as well.

9. 2011 March 26 1:38 pm

We can manage, RP, and do what’s necessary.

My roots go back to a farm in eastern NC. While my family never lived there, I had plenty of exposure to it during the summers while my uncle continued to scratch out a living there. Peanuts and pigs generated the cash, but they lived year-round on the food produced there and stored for the winter in the springhouse and pantry.

10. 2011 March 26 1:40 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

B3, I lie in Bristol, TN. A twin city with Virginia. The area is the Tri Cities of Bristol, Johnson City and Kingsport. I can throw a rock and hit Virginia, but the community I was raised in is called Hickory Tree. No kidding.

11. 2011 March 26 1:41 pm

JM, Yes! We owe Gov Walker a debt for breaking this open. We could see States across the country repeating this.

12. 2011 March 26 1:44 pm

Dr, b3, jr.

I would not trade my childhood for $10M, indeed, even if it were still available, which it is not.

I have a distinct feeling that most of the folks who post here would survive.

13. 2011 March 26 1:48 pm
    Colorado KnightOwl permalink

Our “Allies” the rebels, against Qaddaffi…….I think even the most untrained American could do better than this….

Exclusive: France 24 Reporters from the front line in Libya

14. 2011 March 26 2:02 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

CKO, The people who live south of the Mason Dixon Line and West of the Mississippi (Except the urban areas of California, Oregon and Washington)and the rural areas of the Midwest will survive very well.

Those in the NorthEast will starve to death or kill each other over food. ( and those aforementioned on the West Coast).

15. 2011 March 26 2:05 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

CKO, since we have been handling firearms from the time we could pick one up, We could do a lot better than those ignorant peasants of the middle east.

The Government of the US would do well to remember that.

16. 2011 March 26 2:07 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

None of you will probably believe this, but we used to hunt at daybreak and take our shotguns to school. We would break them down, hand all ammunition to the principal, then store them in the cloak rooms. Hell, we could held off a small army for days.

Truth.

17. 2011 March 26 2:08 pm

RP, here in the SF Bay Area we have a lot of Free-Range Vegitarian Hippies…we’re gonne eat them first! 🙂 (on second thought…ya never know where they’ve been or what they’ve done…I guess we’ll just let ’em die out on their own)

p.s. to Justmary, that Florida ruling is AWESOME news…and it needs to keep spreading. Having the STATE collect Union dues, is like having the Police Department collect extortion money for the mob. EXACTLY like that!

18. 2011 March 26 2:09 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

…Plus, ammunition cost money. We generally hit what we were shooting at. We certainly would never shoot into the air as those nitwits rebels do in the middle east.

19. 2011 March 26 2:11 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

JR. Liberals will probably taste like chicken, because that is what they are.!!!!

20. 2011 March 26 2:12 pm

a much better time & place, RP.

my wife and I read a book a while back where this woman describes the difference between her country life and her friend’s city life:
    “In the city where you live, if a cop sees a kid walking down the street with a rifle he calls in a SWAT team to apprehend the kid…out in the country where I live that same cop would pull over and ask the kid how the hunting was”

21. 2011 March 26 2:12 pm
    Colorado KnightOwl permalink

RP, I know you’ve been shooting a long time and so have most of my neighbors….

The SW corner of Colo will do well should the hordes descend…..Plenty of ammo on hand, should Barry big ears and the boys decide to try and disarm us folk…..

22. 2011 March 26 2:12 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

JM. It has started. Don’t be surprised if cities in the Northeast are on fire in the near future.

23. 2011 March 26 2:20 pm

p.s. to all…don’t forget to turn ALL your lights on tonight at 8:30 p.m. to celebrate:
    Human Innovation Hour

No other animal has the ability to turn night into day! Edison, et al, provided us the electric means, and human kind for thousands of years has been doing this by other means.
    (lightning bugs and those wierd angler fish don’t count)

So celebrate INNOVATION!!!

24. 2011 March 26 2:28 pm

RP – so true about rural people. Those people will be the ones who will survive.

Where my one brother teaches in rural Virginia, first day of hunting season ALL the boys are absent (excused).

My one nephew (former active marine who grew up in a semi rural environment) once while hunting with some friends had some city slickers come on his friends property. The city slickers tried to intimidate the one guy who was out front (not seeing the rest of them). The rest of them had the city slickers dead in their sights when the one guy informed the city slickers they were covered. At that point they noticed the guys who had them dead to right and left.

Later I asked my nephew if he would had pulled the trigger – his response was “hell yes”. His father is the one who is retired navy that there is no question he would pull the trigger (sleeps with his 357 under his mattress).

25. 2011 March 26 2:46 pm

Lifehacker had some Green acre divel about Earth Hour. So I left a comment thanking them for reminding me to turn on all my lights….

26. 2011 March 26 3:08 pm

27. 2011 March 26 3:17 pm

28. 2011 March 26 3:46 pm

The SW corner of Colo will do well should the hordes descend
    ~~~whippoorwill

Cortez???

29. 2011 March 26 3:48 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

IP, The biggest problem will be those out hunting who know nothing about how to use a firearm. They will shoot at anything that moves (or sometimes even things that don’t move).

30. 2011 March 26 3:49 pm

The biggest problem will be those out hunting

More targets for the soylent green factory.

31. 2011 March 26 3:49 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

KH, President Present has been duped by the anti-isreal, anti-western UN and deserves what will happen there.

32. 2011 March 26 3:49 pm
    Colorado KnightOwl permalink

LOL a bit east of Cortez…..DR Drudge has the same story about the reporter, but apparently he wrote nothing about the closet except to his editor

33. 2011 March 26 3:51 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

The government should not be allowed to run the Soylent Green factory, or we wil be the targets.

34. 2011 March 26 3:51 pm
    Colorado KnightOwl permalink

RP, duped? I think it was closer to his plan….he is very anti-Israel and so is his staff

35. 2011 March 26 3:59 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

CKO, I don’t disagree that it may have been part of his plan, but it will blow up in his face.

36. 2011 March 26 4:00 pm
    Colorado KnightOwl permalink

Back to the Dark Edges, I think Carlin is close to the truth…..

He is about 80% right……(Warning strong language)

37. 2011 March 26 4:04 pm
    Colorado KnightOwl permalink

I hope it blows in his face, rather than ours….Though I think that Israel will stand alone if the crud hits the fan while this turd is president….He will vote “present” again and let them twist in the wind….

38. 2011 March 26 4:10 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

CKH, he will vote with the UN, which will be against Isreal.

39. 2011 March 26 4:19 pm

interesting CKO. Carlin is sort of trigger for my deity beliefs.

40. 2011 March 26 4:24 pm

Remember what God said.

“I will bless them that bless Israel.

And I will curse them that curse Israel.”

Ground zero of a nuclear blast would be better ground to be on.

Problem dealing with God is that he can fry your ass, bring you back and repeat for eternity if he desires. Ground zero is a one time deal.

41. 2011 March 26 4:31 pm

Ditto’s, GN

42. 2011 March 26 4:33 pm

#37 They HAVE to be alone in order to know it was the Lord who saved them. I could never really wrap my mind around them being alone against the world until the won was in office.

43. 2011 March 26 5:05 pm

JM – the only fair odds God can give the world is him & Israel against the world. And that is even with a dysfunctional Israel to boot.

44. 2011 March 26 5:25 pm

I wish I could remember who said “the proof of the existence of God is the existence of the Jews”…but he was right. For thousands of years EVERYONE has been trying to eliminate this tiny group of people from the planet. And failing EVERY time.

God will be on Israel’s side…even if The Won isn’t.

45. 2011 March 26 5:26 pm

DbD lays down another one right in line with this thread — http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2011/03/27/#006045

46. 2011 March 26 5:44 pm

I just watched a show on Nazi Germany that made my blood run cold all over again.

In one segment school children we’re taught by their teachers songs about their glorious leader, Hitler. The clip looked EXACTLY…not kind of…EXACTLY like the videos we’ve seen of teachers having their children sing songs praising Obama!

And last week in Wisconsin a teacher took her class to the capital and had them chant slogans over and over against the Governor…and praising the Unions. The video of that made my blood boil. Watching the Nazis take control of a generation of children froze my blood.

The Teacher’s Unions believe they OWN our children and grandchildren. Those children exist ONLY for the State! Seig Heil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be afraid folks…VERY afraid.

47. 2011 March 26 5:56 pm

Have a couple beers before you watch this.

48. 2011 March 26 6:08 pm

JM, I know where you are going with this. And yeah I agree. (Sorry I can hardly type I am laugh so hard) And yeah this is screwier than the chick with the broccoli at the council meeting……

But I want to go a different route. This looked like an Angel’s meeting where investors hear ideas from entrepreneurs for possible investment.

WHY ISN’T ANYBODY LAUGHING THEIR HEADS OFF????

49. 2011 March 26 6:24 pm

JM –

If it had just been an audio tape I would have sworn it was Meghan McCain talking.

50. 2011 March 26 6:39 pm
    retlaw permalink

JM–

About the link showing the video of the girl who wants to jar up and sell air from various locations on earth…

Maybe we conservatives should use our capitalistic, free enterprise skills to put up jars of captured sunlight and wind to sell to the forward thinking liberals to help power their solar and wind powered world they envision in their future. They could open these jars on cloudy and windless days to help power their households.

I think we could get $5 a quart for captured sunlight and $4 a quart for captured wind. Can all on BJG pool financial resources to capitalize this venture or do we need to elect someone to go on that TV show to pitch our idea to the sharks in ordeer to get adequate start up money.

What do you think?

51. 2011 March 26 6:41 pm

52. 2011 March 26 6:53 pm

JM, between that chick and the Santa Cruz City Council “the machines will make things for us” chick…I am appropriately TERRIFIED!

These will be the first people EATEN when society breaks down.

53. 2011 March 26 6:58 pm
    TLS permalink

After all the libetards kill each other or die off, come on over and I’ll roast you a rabbit 😉

54. 2011 March 26 7:23 pm

TLS…we LOVED to come over for roast rabbit! 🙂

55. 2011 March 26 7:27 pm

I intend to use these worthless people as bait.

56. 2011 March 26 7:31 pm

A list of prey that can be baited with hippies.

mako shark
    snapping turtle
    black bear
    flathead catfish
    alligator
    hogzilla
    bubba

57. 2011 March 26 7:33 pm

bubba is not really prey.

I’m just trying to do a favor for a not-so-close friend.

58. 2011 March 26 7:51 pm
    retlaw permalink

Damn, drdog..

Seems like GE stole my idea already.

Damn you Jeffrey Imelt….