A Preview of 2012- UPDATED

2011 April 10
by JustMary

As many of you know, I was at the Pacific Homeschool Super-Conference this weekend. It had all the trappings of a normal conference, with keynote speakers, and curriculum booths; but  something made this particular event special (and thus worth my 6 hour drive up there). This year, for the first time, there was a Presidential Straw Poll, and a “Presidential Meet and Greet”. All potential candidates were invited to this event, but only three were in attendance (and one was “present” via video). The three in attendance were Herman Cain, Rick Santorum, and Tim Pawlenty. Mitt Romney was there in spirit via video recording.

All candidates were invited to give a speech to the crowd, and I heard all 4 speeches. I want to tell you about my two favorites though. Rick Santorum was engaging, and relevant to the group in front of him, as he and his wife are homeschooling their 7 children. I was appreciative of everything he had to say, and the sincerely passionate way he said it. He deserved his standing ovation, especially with his decree that Obamacare needs to be 100% repealed. He called it “the straw that broke the camel’s back”. I enjoyed his candor about how God had gotten him to where he is today. I was impressed by his passion for this country. You can tell a lot about a man by who his friends are, and knowing one of his friends is an amazing man by the name of Michael Ferris, says plenty about his character, and where his allegiances lie. I am glad I purchased the cd of his speech, because the following quote was something I played a few times in the car to really get me fired up about this election:

One of my favorite quotes is from a gentleman by the name of Christopher Lash who said “Every day we get up, and we tell ourselves lies so we can live”. In America we’ve told ourselves the lie that you can go on and take care of your children, go off to work, participate in the local community organizations in your church, and that America will remain free and safe and prosperous. That’s a lie. It may be true for some generations, it’s not true for yours. This is our watch, it is our moment, and unless we rise up and do something to change the way that government is moving forward in Washington D.C. you will be the generation that will have lost America.

That was an absolute gut check, and I hope he repeats that message as many times as it takes to get people to realize just how very true it is.

My other favorite, was Herman Cain. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this man. His speech was simply amazing. His sense of humor, especially his “grandfather’s vernacular”, was absolutely endearing. He told us about his father’s American Dream, and how hard work, “sweat equity”, is what will get you where you want to be- not entitlements and self pity. I’d be surprised if I was the only one with tears in my eyes as he told the story of his family’s first home. I’ll tell you more about his speech in the comments section (to keep this shorter), because I want use this post to tell you instead about what happened after his speech was over.

Mr. Cain walked out to the doors of the conference hall, and stood there. He waited for the group to be dismissed, so that he could greet people. His gracious spirit was apparent as he took the time to answer questions, and just have good conversation, with all who walked to where he was. He was not rushed. He was not put off by anything we asked. I honestly felt like he treated all of us like his friends. I asked him our collective question about the defunding of the EPA, FCC, DoE, and the DoEd. He agreed that they needed to be brought back down to their original intent , via unbundling repeatedly, or in the EPA’s case- by a commission comprised of the victims of bad policy from the EPA.

While he has not yet formally announced his candidacy, I do expect that he will. I also expect to put in many many hours working on his campaign, as I see in him exactly what this country needs in a leader. No blowing smoke- just straight talk, and common sense. I don’t have the results how each person did in the straw poll, but I remember a few. Santorum received 28%, Cain came in at 16%, and Bachmann came in at 3%. Sadly, Obama received less than 1% of the vote. I say sadly, because how was this number higher than a flat 0%???? Less than 1% implies, at least to me, that someone put a check by his name. *sigh* I would love to think that Bachmann got so little of the vote based on her not responding to the invitation to attend, but then, Huckabee got 13% (I believe that was the exact percent, I will check on that) of the vote, and he wasn’t there either. When the official results are published, I will be happy to link them here for you.

UPDATE: Here are the official straw poll results: Santorum 28%, Pawlenty 20%, Cain 16%, Huckabee 13%, (Ron) Paul 7%, Palin 5%, Bachmann 3%, Trump 3%, Gingrich 3% and Obama, Barbour, Thune, Rubio, Daniels, and Johnson all with less than 1%.

1. 2011 April 10 7:02 pm

Here is a quote from Mr. Cain on gas prices:

They have doubled in the last two years. Why? Because we do not have a real energy independence strategy. That’s the bad news. The good news is we have the resources right here in the United States of America to develop an energy independence strategy, and we could, we should, and we will. Otherwise, we are going to remain dependent upon foreigners, and foreign oil. It is a matter of wanting to make it happen.

2. 2011 April 10 7:14 pm

Mr. Cain on Immigration-

Whenever you hear the terminology “we need comprehensive immigration reform” (I know you’ve heard that), that’s code for “we don’t know what to do”. Because, you see, the immigration issue is four problems. You learn this when you solve problems, sometimes it’s not one. We’ve got to solve the problem of securing the border, enforcing the laws that are here, use the path to citizenship that is already there. It’s not that difficult folks, I went and looked it up. We don’t need a new path to citizenship. We just need to clean up the bureaucracy that is getting in the way, and then number four, what we do about the illegals that are here. Empower the states the states to do what the federal government is not doing and doesn’t want to do. Empower the states to be able to deal with their illegal immigration population.

3. 2011 April 10 7:52 pm

Herman Cain is a good man…and would make an excellent President. Sadly, I truly wonder if America has the brains to vote for a good man or woman any more.

Obama will amass $1 BILLION for his re-election bid. That’s buys a lot of stoooopid people.

4. 2011 April 10 8:16 pm

“I truly wonder if America has the brains to vote for a good man or woman any more. ”

She doesn’t but I hope Mr. Cain gives it a shot,anyway certainly welcome in the primary process from my perspective, far better spokesman then some other names tossed about.

5. 2011 April 10 8:43 pm
    mpthompson permalink

If 60% of the voters come to see Obama as the film-flam man that he is, $10 billion won’t get him re-elected.

The challenge for us is to find and select the candidate that will go after Obama tooth and nail. The rest is the easy part.

6. 2011 April 10 8:50 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Why is it when Republican politicians are asked by the MSM to comment on Trump’s attacks on Obama over his birth certificate they always give an answer that begins “I think…” or “I believe…” and then end up carrying water for Obama. Sheesh, they should just say, “I don’t know, why don’t you go ask Obama?”

7. 2011 April 10 9:04 pm

6 – They use ‘Think’ and ‘believe’ because they can not prove for sure anything, Obama has seen to that, Trump included, and they would prefer to talk about what they want to talk about and not get mired in a debatable topic that can not be won at present, at best it’s a draw till something new comes out. Not to mention they ‘might’ however unlikely have to compete against said person in the primaries later, why help out the competition?

8. 2011 April 10 9:09 pm

GOP politicians should simply answer: “Isn’t it a shame that the press didn’t vett Senator Obama thoroughly? Had they done so there would be no doubt as to what his birth-certificate says, who his friends and associates were throughout his life, and what his true beliefs are. Maybe the press will finally do its job on all those scores. Next question!”

9. 2011 April 10 9:23 pm

shhh…. let’s not ask the administration about this.

BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian security forces and pro-government gunmen killed four protesters Sunday in the port city of Banias after the army sealed off the city as hundreds of protesters gathered, undaunted by the regime’s use of deadly force to quell more than three weeks of unrest, witnesses said. State TV reported that nine soldiers were killed in an ambush near the city.

Details were sketchy because telephone lines, Internet access and electricity apparently were cut to most parts of the city. Army tanks and soldiers circled the city, preventing people from entering.

But one witness, reached by telephone, said hundreds of protesters had gathered near the al-Rahman mosque when security forces and armed men in civilian clothes opened fire on them. The names of the dead were read out on mosque loudspeakers.

CAIRO (Reuters) – Egypt’s ruling generals said on Saturday they were ready to use force to end protests in Tahrir Square after troops cracked down on demonstrators overnight and sparked violence that medical sources said killed two people.

Soldiers and police had used tasers and batons to try to drive out protesters from the square, the epicenter of protests that toppled Hosni Mubarak on February 11. Gunshots echoed across the square in the overnight operation.

“But just yesterday, FBI Director Robert Mueller said that the Bureau had begun questioning Libyans living in the United States to “identify Libyan agents operating inside US borders.” Mueller also said the move is intended to put the US “on guard” against any potential terror attacks from Libya.

According to sources close to the intelligence-gathering operation, interviews began this week and could result in thousands more to come. The FBI will be focusing on Libyans staying in the US on visas and those with professional or personal ties to their home country. In addition to gauging the potential threat posed to Americans, the FBI aims to gather information that could assist those engaged in military action in Libya.

An FBI operation this broad indicates that the US expects a Libyan-exported terror plot on Western targets to be a possibility despite downplaying the threat just weeks ago.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2011/04/us_officials_downplay_terror_r.php#ixzz1JBVNko3m

I thought this administration didn’t like profiling? 😉

Wow that Smart Diplomacy™ is really Duh Winning!™

“Maybe the press will finally do its job on all those scores. Next question!”

Which will then be followed by an intense anal probe by the press into everything in that candidate’s past, flipping the focus from barry to whomever.

10. 2011 April 10 9:28 pm

A month later and they still don’t have their arms fully around the situation, at least they’re getting closer though. http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/11_12.html

11. 2011 April 10 9:34 pm
    janzam permalink

Thanks for your informative post, JM. I have gradually come to admire Mr.Cain through articles he’s written, interviews I’ve seen posted on line, and listening to him occasionally on his radio show while driving through Oakland.

He seems like a centered, smart, decisive, honest man who has a lifetime of business experience. Somehow, I think he has a slim chance, though, in being a viable presidential candidate. But, then again, considering the somewhat shallow pool of people out there, who knows?

12. 2011 April 10 9:48 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Hmmm, something is afoot in Madison, WI concerning a rumored voter fraud investigation.

For what it’s worth, the Madison DA is a Democrat.

13. 2011 April 10 9:53 pm

Arab League to appeal for Gaza ‘no-fly zone’

I’m sure they don’t want rockets included in such things that can’t be in the air. This makes me raff so hard.

sigh

14. 2011 April 10 9:55 pm

13 – It’s not related to last week supposedly, rather it’s been suggested it has to do with walker aids and campaigning on state time err or something like that, we’ll find out tomorrow I guess.

15. 2011 April 11 6:17 am

Victor Davis Hanson has a SPLENDID article up today on the precarious position we in California (and all the rest of ya’ll right behind us) face:

16. 2011 April 11 6:19 am

MPT…that link from Wisconsin does looks ominous. Will the Dems find new votes…or a way to invalidate Republican votes? Stay tuned, but it’s one or the other.

17. 2011 April 11 6:54 am

The VDH article is down right scary.

18. 2011 April 11 7:02 am

19. 2011 April 11 7:12 am

#12 Thanks! I think he stands out, because he is so straight forward. He stressed common sense, and frankly, so much common sense is missing in Washington these days. They could make it a pay per view event to have a debate between Mr. Cain and TOTUS. It would be epic.

20. 2011 April 11 2:01 pm

vhd piece was really just a rehash of his earlier post on the same topic from months ago, not that it a bad piece.