When You Have Lost the Trib…

2011 September 16
tags:
by drdog09

… You Have Lost Middle America.
(With apologies to Lyndon Johnson. Though I don’t know why.)

Before you can say, “Let the sun shine in,” Solyndra was basking in the limelight. The federal government backed loans of more than $500 million to the company. President Barack Obama toured its manufacturing plant. He touted its plans to hire 1,000 new workers and embraced its fuzzy math about producing enough solar panels in its expanded facility to replace the power from eight coal-fueled electricity plants. “It’s here that companies like Solyndra are leading the way to a bright and prosperous future,” the president declared at the time.

Fast forward to the not-so-bright and prosperous present: Solyndra is bankrupt, its factory shut down and its workforce on the street. The FBI raided its headquarters earlier this month, presumably suspecting fraud. Its top executives failed to appear Wednesday at a hearing on Capitol Hill where Republicans were itching to grill them.

A series of emails between White House officials and Office of Management and Budget watchdogs suggests that Solyndra got its federal guarantees prematurely, under pressure from the Obama administration, which wanted to stage an event featuring Vice President Joe Biden announcing the guarantees at a ground-breaking ceremony. A perfect example of shovel-ready stimulus!

But staffers reviewing the deal were voicing concerns about not having sufficient time to conduct proper due diligence on the financial underpinnings of the loans. The evidence suggests taxpayer dollars were put at undue risk for the sake of an administration photo op.

The Energy Department says it was the Bush administration that first made Solyndra a candidate for loan guarantees and set the timetable for consideration. The White House claims its communication about the project reflected merely a “quite active interest” in the outcome. Yet those explanations ring hollow in light of OMB emails referring to “rushed approvals” and “time pressure.” As one note said, “There isn’t time to negotiate.”

No time to negotiate on behalf of the taxpayer? That’s maddening.

Source

No kidding!

“Buddy can you spare a solar panel?”

[update] In the blood will make you boil dept — link.

1. 2011 September 16 5:44 am

Much of America is hurting.

To my knowledge, you cannot eat a solar panel, or wear it, or put it in your gas tank. They don’t take solar panels in payment of your mortgage.

Priorities.

2. 2011 September 16 5:45 am
    MI Conservative permalink

HHHMMMMM- A Scandal

A little History—1974 election after Watergate scandal.

Dems pick up +49 house seats for a WHOPPING 291-144 majority in the house.

Dems polled an astounding +17 over Republicans.

The Senate had a 62-38 Dem majority.

CAN WE HOPE Solyndra, Fast and Furious, and telling generals to change their testimony will produce the same for Republicans in 2012?

3. 2011 September 16 5:47 am
    MI Conservative permalink

mullet-How true.

I know what to do with solar panels. But I don’t think they’d fit where I want to shove them right now.

UUMMMM- Maybe it would fit in Moochelles.

4. 2011 September 16 5:48 am

MI,

I would say yes.

But back then people were sufficiently aware of what was going on to do something about it at the ballot box. Now, I am not so sure that most of America even gives a damn.

5. 2011 September 16 6:07 am
    JBoz permalink

This is a glaring example of crony capitalism, and it’s endemic throughout our political system. And the Republicans have just as guilty as the Democrats. This one is different only in the fact that it demonstrates the complete amateur hour that defines the Obama administration. Clinton and W. did the same stuff, but weren’t nearly so brazen or careless. If Hillary had been elected instead of Obama, she would have been even more nimble than her husband in continuing this tradition undetected.

This leads us to where we are at this very moment. Thankfully, we have an administration that through it’s own hubris has flipped the light switch on and for the first time Americans are seeing with clarity the morass that has ruined our economy, threatened our way of life, and is poised to undermine our entire system of representative government (and I use the term representative very loosely). All this is happening at a time when Sarah Palin is sharpening her message around crony capitalism, and Rick Perry’s own dalliances on this front are coming into full view. And all over about a 3 to 4 week time period. Pretty amazing timing really. Hmmmm.

6. 2011 September 16 6:08 am

REMINDER – THIS WEEK’S COLLEGE AND NFL PICKS DUE TONIGHT

7. 2011 September 16 6:16 am

JBoz –

Agreed. This is why if it comes down to a choice between Mitt Romnney and Rick Perry I would probably go with Mitt. As much as I dislike Mitt and hate the flip-flops, he is far more ethical than Elmer Gantry.

Putting on my flameproof suit (before JR attacks): Perry would be Bush’s third term on steroids (pushing for “comprehensive immigration reform,” “compassionate conservatism” and a far closer relationship with big business).

As I stated earlier this week, Kalifornia, Illinois and New Jersey are the only states expected to have a bigger shortfall than Texas ($10 billion in 2012).

Just because it’s a liberal talking point doesn’t make it untrue.

8. 2011 September 16 6:18 am

BC,

Don’t forget about cozying up to Juan, his wife and 8 kids and the extended family to be named later….

9. 2011 September 16 6:21 am

The GOP truly has Obama and the Democrats where they want them now (poor ecomony, massive debt, unemployment, failed stimulus, failure of green industry ventures, etc.). Will Republicans have the guts to pull the trigger?

10. 2011 September 16 6:22 am

11. 2011 September 16 6:22 am

drdog, apologies are NEVER due Lyndon Johnson! 👿

that said…the spin by all the Dem mouthpieces is: “Hey, every Presidency does favors for their donors!” EVERY one of them I have read or heard has said some variation of this exact same thing!

so we go from “He’s sooooo unique and transformational!” to “Hey, he’s just like every other President”. This is NOT a winning argument for the Dems.

This is the equivalent of “Hey, other Emperors fell for the imaginary clothes thing too!” Swell. But the Dems “Emperor” is still standing there buck naked with his shriveled thingee exposed to the elements!

12. 2011 September 16 6:23 am

As much as it pains me to say this, you know who’s looking better to me? Newt. Excuse me while I go to wash my mouth out.

13. 2011 September 16 6:25 am

As I wrote in a thread earlier this week, Lyndon Johnson hasn’t received nearly enough credit for the role he played in destroying the country.

14. 2011 September 16 6:29 am
    JBoz permalink

#7 – I will support whomever gets the GOP nomination. Hell, I will support Annie, my little rescue poodle mix if she were to somehow get the nomination. But if we end up with a nominee who doesn’t embody true reform, someone who will not champion a return to the Constitution, I will sadly be casting my vote with full knowledge that I am not voting to restore America, but only to buy a little time before she fades away.

15. 2011 September 16 6:30 am

This is a glaring example of crony capitalism,~~J BOZ

This goatrope is not capitalism at all, but corporate state socialism ,pure and simple. It is crap like this that gives capitalism a bad name.

16. 2011 September 16 6:31 am

but only to buy a little time before she fades away~~JBOZ

Now you know how the romans felt.

17. 2011 September 16 6:31 am

BC,

I had a similar fleeting thought about Newt. Someone asked him if his personal issues should be a factor in the race. He’s come back was something along the lines of — “Have you or the taxpayer paid a dime for any of my dalliances?” You know what, he’s right, as compared to the current pResident who has run up trillions. If he survives the primary process I might have to think about him.

18. 2011 September 16 6:32 am

bc3b…Mrs. Justrand and I are also liking Newt more and more.

and JM’s line for him is accurate and he should say it: [she does it better…but I’ll try]
    Has anything about my personal life directly affected you? In that case please focus on my record and ideas!

Newt would need to add: “I was under the influence of a combination of Meth, Cocaine and Jack Daniels when Nancy Pelosi pulled me onto that couch. I can normally handle that combination, but they must have reacted with the LSD I had taken earlier in the day!”

You see, we can look past abuse of Meth, Cocaine, Jack Daniels and LSD…but sitting on a couch with Nancy Pelosi and hawking alGore’s bullshit…now THAT is inexcusable!!

19. 2011 September 16 6:34 am
    TLS permalink

Eventually both sides are going to get tired of him blaming Bush. Ok fine, Bush pushed for it. How many other things did Bush push for that Obama immediately changed the policy on when he took office? Obama has issued how many EOs, introduced how many new procedures (like czars), pushed through how much legislation against the will of the entire country, and yet he couldn’t put the brakes on this “loan”? plleeeeeaaazzzzee!!

20. 2011 September 16 6:37 am
    judyt2009 permalink

JBoz … the Reagan administration tried to shut down the DOE and the SBA division that “invests” in small business (versus guaranteeing the loans which require SBA take a senior debt/secured lender position)

So while Republicans do engage in the same crony capitalism I believe there is a magnatitude of involvement and spending of taxpayer dollars without receiving anything in return.

It is one thing to toss business to your friend it is quite another to loan your friend money when it is a wink wink nod that repayment expected.

21. 2011 September 16 6:38 am

TLS…the new line will be: “he thought he was hitting the brakes…but he accidentally hit the GAS PEDAL!…oopsy!”

this is the Mr. Magoo excuse!

22. 2011 September 16 6:40 am

Yeah but he could have a line for that one too — “We were in a bar. It was dark. I was looped. She looked good at the time…. When I woke up I was on this damn couch with the b@#$%. Its the last thing I remember.”

Now what guy would not give him the sympathy vote with that line?

23. 2011 September 16 6:44 am

drdog…I like it! Still, have you ever been in a bar THAT dark or been THAT looped that Nancy Piglosi would look “good at the time”?? Me neither. 🙂

24. 2011 September 16 6:45 am
    JBoz permalink

Judy #20 – I’m not saying that both sides are doing this equally. Just that both sides are doing it. Sure, not the same magnitude. The problem is a cancer. If I find a marble sized mass on my brain, and the guy across the street has a golf ball size lump, that doesn’t make me want to do the happy dance. We still both have a major freakin’ problem, and marble or golf ball, it needs to be eradicated.

25. 2011 September 16 6:45 am

Ford to be listed in the Attack Watch db?

26. 2011 September 16 6:48 am

23, Well I have to admit, me neither.

27. 2011 September 16 6:51 am
    judyt2009 permalink

#12 — pass me the soap when you are finished as I have been thinking the same thing.

28. 2011 September 16 6:56 am
    judyt2009 permalink

Jboz — I will support your Annie only if she names my rescue daschund beagle mix Munchkin for veep — or at the very least head of Interior and Energy (she will blend and shrink the two) … my little Munchbunch could power a large city with the energy from her wagging her tail.

29. 2011 September 16 6:58 am
    JBoz permalink

Judy – how’s the Munchbunch doing? How’s the back issue?

30. 2011 September 16 7:24 am

Newt is………the smartest guy on the stage.
    Newt is not……..the best behaved guy on the stage.

Newt knows……..every power broker in DC and the rest of the country.
    Newt cannot………get any money from any of them.

Newt could……..take obama to the cleaners in a debate.
    Newt could not……..keep a crease in his trousers, or anything else for that matter.

Newt would………be an effective president, and set the US on a different path.
    Newt would………be skewered by the media every step of the way.

Newt’s wife……….would not be a great first lady.
    Newt’s………..would be unable to keep her out of the spotlight.

Newt regrets……..sitting on that couch with Miss Piggy.
    Newt could……..overcome the image by being a “smart energy” president.

Newt is…….a viable option.
    New is not……..a viable option.

31. 2011 September 16 7:24 am

JBoz and judy…do NOT let JM’s dog be Secretary of the Interior…she farts a lot!!

32. 2011 September 16 7:25 am

JM’s dog…not JM 🙂

33. 2011 September 16 7:28 am

New = Newt.

(spelling, not defining)

34. 2011 September 16 7:36 am
    judyt2009 permalink

Thanks for asking. Munchkin is doing much better. She is back to running around but she is not doing the climbing. She ran down the driveway to meet me the last two nights when I have come home so I know she must be feeling better. For about a week she barely lifted her head when I came in the door and then would walk slowly to the kitchen for me to feed her. Life is almost back to normal.

35. 2011 September 16 7:38 am

The is from Senator Ron Johnson, and is definitely worth a look. Recommendations for $1.4 Trillion in savings over 10 years.

$1.4 Trillion in Savings

36. 2011 September 16 8:10 am
    judyt2009 permalink

Excellent ideas from Senator Johnson. I think most of that 10% could be achieved in reducing the human resources departments at government agencies to be no larger than the average size of HR departments in the private sector.