Super Committee

2011 November 21
tags:
by drdog09

The case for why the current embedded base of the political class MUST GO! Their inability to act in a decisive manner to make the cabinet level cuts necessary to garner the $1.2Tn needed is their undoing. This nation needs to lop off cabinet level positions wholesale. —

“After months of hard work and intense deliberations, we have come to the conclusion today that it will not be possible to make any bipartisan agreement available to the public before the committee’s deadline,” the co-chairs, Rep. Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., said.

The declaration came late Monday afternoon in a written statement from the 12-member Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction despite last-second discussions in closed-door meetings.

The committee, in the end, could not resolve that Republicans would not go as far as Democrats wanted on allowing more revenue raisers, and Democrats did not want to move on entitlement reforms. Intense messaging by both political parties on which was more to blame is surely to spill out for days, if not months.

The super panel was created with extraordinary, fast-track powers this summer under the law agreed to by Republicans and Democrats during the debt ceiling crisis. That same law now says its failure will trigger $1.2 trillion in automatic cuts over 10 years, starting in 2013. That so-called sequestration is to include cuts to Pentagon spending.

Source

It is with a firm belief that we will see a third party emerge after the 2012 election. One that does not have entrenched interests. The stuff that has prevented both Democrats and Republicans from reaching the conclusions necessary for what is required.

“Its a new dawn! We need to see leaner, stronger stuff from our organization. That means smarter staff, more agile staff, …….. fewer staff.”
— Shoe

1. 2011 November 21 3:54 pm

Following your lead there JR.

2. 2011 November 21 4:03 pm

And a most interesting money chart — http://xkcd.com/980/huge/#x=-11454&y=-6734&z=5

3. 2011 November 21 4:13 pm

thx drdog! 🙂

Now we can focus on the collapse of our economy due to adject betrayal by our politicians… making this the CHEERFUL thread!!

4. 2011 November 21 4:19 pm

Can I haz whip cream on that ice cream cone? 🙂

5. 2011 November 21 4:26 pm

I love that potus is out there now blatantly saying the opposite of his own SecDef with regard to the SuperJoke Committee and any action the congress may take to avoid huge defense cuts. I’m sure the glaring contradiction will be pointed out all over the MSM. 🙄

This charade is so far playing out exactly how many on the side of “No Deal” said it would.

1. Thank you. 😉
    2. Depressing

6. 2011 November 21 4:29 pm

sorry to go O/T on ya drdog but [hattip HotAir]:

Pelosi: “They [Catholics] have this conscience thing…that is akin to having hospitals “say to a woman, ‘I’m sorry you could die’ if you don’t get an abortion

There have been nearly SIXTY MILLION abortions since Rove v. Wade. 60,000,000. The number of those that SAVED THE LIFE of the woman? At most a few hundred…at most.

7. 2011 November 21 4:35 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Uh, I don’t think The Resident has Veto authority over budget bills.

8. 2011 November 21 4:36 pm

I love the little note about “The 87 Billion” re:Kerry was really 101.8Billion lol

9. 2011 November 21 4:36 pm

Figure that 2m a year for abortions. Many of which would be of voting age now. They would also be < 30ish and a natural Dim vote leaning block. That many would change more than a few elections.

10. 2011 November 21 4:36 pm

7 – Sure he does.

11. 2011 November 21 4:40 pm

10, Yep. And the House can over ride with 2/3rds vote. If they can get it.

12. 2011 November 21 4:42 pm

#9 That is why they aggressively pursue elementary-high school age kids. They killed theirs, so they want ours.

13. 2011 November 21 4:49 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

If it is true that the President can veto a budget bill, then is it true that he has veto authority over spending levels? I don’t think so.

14. 2011 November 21 4:49 pm

Put a fork in her, she’s done.

15. 2011 November 21 4:58 pm

JR –

O/T in response to your question from the last thread (before my dinner).

I finally saw the videos you referred to. I have no doubt that Newt is a great debater. He said as much today, stating he was the best debater of the GOP candidates. If fact, he referred to himself as a master debater (I’m not gonna touch that one).

Newt has always talked the talk. It’s when he tries walking the walk that he usually steps in dog poop and tracks it all over the house.

Two or three months ago, we all considered Newt pretty much of a joke and “dead man walking.” Other than a few excellent debate performances against the likes of Rick Perry, Rick Santorum and Ron Paul, nothing has changed. He is still the same unprincipled, unethical politican he has always been:
    * The ultimate Washington insider
    * The big government guy who voted for establishment of the Department of Education in 1979 and pushed for Medicare D when he was shilling for the pharma industry during the Bush years
    * A man who always puts his own self-interest above those of his family, party and country
    * A man who has teamed with the likes of Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Princess Nancy, Al Sharpton and other assorted liberals
    * Man who claims he wasn’t lobbying or pushing Freddie Mac. I have to side with the former Speaker here because I was a history minor and I have at least five clients who have called and offered me $1.6 million if I’d let them stop by for a half hour once a month for a couple of years and shoot the sh!t . We talk about history (Civil War up to WWI is my area of expertise), the Tigers, cheerleaders (another area of expertise), etc. None of these clients are looking for anything from me other than advice (which President was best: Cleveland or McKinley, which of the Grey Cup finalists have the hottest dance team – the Felions or Blue Thunder, etc.)

There’s a lot we know about Newt, but there’s a lot we don’t know. I am willing to bet that we are going to discover that he has stepped in some REALLY BIG piles we don’t know about.

If Newt is the GOP nominee, I will vote for him. I just don’t want to drink the Kool-Aid until I absolutely have to and I am hoping that if those really big piles exit that they get tracked through the house before the primaries.

As I said before: pay attention to the meaning of what candidate say … not words or technique.

16. 2011 November 21 4:58 pm

13. Dude I don’t where you’ve been but the potus has veto authority over ALL bills except for constitutional amendments – you may be confusing this with the senate rules about filibustering budget bills.

17. 2011 November 21 5:10 pm

JM #12 – Very true.

I would like to see a survey by political ideology (liberal Democrat, moderate Democrat, Moderate Republican, Conservative Republican) of women who have had abortions . It might work out as we expect or we might be surprised.

Barry Goldwater was probably more a libertarian than a conservative, but he had an illegal abortion performed on his oldest daughter (before Roe vs. Wade) even though she and the father were engaged and planned to be married. They were in college at the time. This daughter “brags” that all of her daughters have had abortions.

18. 2011 November 21 5:11 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Mea culpa, KH

19. 2011 November 21 5:16 pm

Back to the topic. Obama and the Democrats aren’t going to cut anything. A couple weeks ago Obama banned departments from using ad specialties (logoed coffee mugs, pens, etc.), but rather than a cut, he just moved it elsewhere.

20. 2011 November 21 5:19 pm

#17 I was very very pressured to have an abortion when I was pregnant with my oldest. It was very isolating, and the very people who should have been thrilled that I chose life- shunned me. I was very vocal about being the one who “got caught” sinning, because I knew secret upon secret in the church. No matter though. She is a blessing, and I am glad she is mine. There is something to be said for having to go at it alone. Me and her against the world, literally, at times. I know that when she nearly died 14 years ago that it crushed me so badly that I still ache over it, I cannot imagine the mental anguish that would have come from intentionally ending her life 18 years ago. I said all of that to say this- there are probably a great deal of Christian women who choose appearances in the church, over life. I could have. I’d probably still be in that watered down version of a church, whose members resemble the world more than the Lord. They love a good scandal, as long as it’s yours.

21. 2011 November 21 5:20 pm

bc3b – I should introduce you to a very good friend of mine. He loves military history from the time of Napoleon to the current. Can quote you production numbers from WW II by month and by type of major weapon classes. He has probably forgotten more of the civil war than most people who are versed on it know.

22. 2011 November 21 5:29 pm

Real Clear Politics Average Today has Newt up by 1.8%:

Gingrich:22.6, Romney 20.8, Cain 19.0, Perry 8.0, Paul 7.8, Bachmann 5.0, Huntsman 2.2., Santorum 2.0

23. 2011 November 21 5:35 pm

bc3b – just wait until the MSM and certain people on the right hammer him. His numbers will be going down.

It is Romney that they (MSM & Elite Republicans) want to hoist on us.

24. 2011 November 21 5:57 pm

GN –

I don’t disagree with you at all. But, even though Mitt is their favorite, Newt is more than acceptable. The elite are just happy they dodged a bullet when Palin decided against running.

25. 2011 November 21 5:59 pm

26. 2011 November 21 6:08 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

I think the moose are drinking Old Grizzley Bear Beer. I tried it once and it taste like the bear p……… in the bottle.

27. 2011 November 21 6:10 pm

MI – you found the special ingredient.

28. 2011 November 21 6:12 pm

MIC…I always suspected that your average moose was VERY unsophisticated. You just proved it!

29. 2011 November 21 6:24 pm
    JBoz permalink

It’s Thanksgiving time, which for the Boz family means the annual onslaught of liberal relatives, and the ensuing polite but partisan discussions. Over wine last night, politics of course came up. What was interesting was that virtually every single person regardless of age or ideology shared the opinion that DC is profoundly broken. Of course, there were clear and predicable lines of demarkation on the causes of this broken state, but we all agreed that politicians have let us down in a major way.

As I process this, I know that these liberal relatives are a lost cause, but what I find interesting is that they so easily accepted the underlying premise that DC is broken regardless of who they feel is at fault – the fact that they accepted this illustrates to me that this sentiment is virtually universal. This election will come down to which candidate can best capture this sentiment and articulate the solution in a compelling way that resonates with voters. Romney simply ain’t that guy.

30. 2011 November 21 6:40 pm

KH, when Congress mandates that shoe manafacturers incorporate RFID tags in the heels is when I pick up my gun….

31. 2011 November 21 6:45 pm

YOU’RE ALL WRONG:

32. 2011 November 21 6:46 pm

drdog – it probably is already there.

33. 2011 November 21 6:50 pm

You will have to start by shooting yourself in the heels.

34. 2011 November 21 6:54 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

The Super Committee was not constitutional from the very beginning. Congress abdicated their job to 12 people …

35. 2011 November 21 6:56 pm

36. 2011 November 21 6:58 pm

The “Super Committee” was DESIGNED to fail. The Dem-side had marching orders to fail…so the Repubs could be blamed. And if the Repubs caved completely then THAT would the club used to hit the Repubs with.

Between now and the election EVERY bad thing of ANY kind will be laid at the feet of the Repubs, as though the Democrats are just total VICTIMS…a role they’re really good at playing!

37. 2011 November 21 6:58 pm

The Super Committee was not constitutional from the very beginning~~~JUDY

Nor is the sitting muslim marxist foreign rump rider posing as POTUS.

38. 2011 November 21 6:59 pm

IP…that got the biggest laugh out of me all day! THX!

39. 2011 November 21 7:07 pm

Judy, 35.

What was the construct that made the SC unconstitutional? Under Art 1, Sec 2&3 selection of officers of the Houses are premitted. Its the basis of standing chairs in both Houses. Just curious.

40. 2011 November 21 8:14 pm

drdog

This is one hell of a clusterf#ck.

Fed up and frustrated with his broker’s collapse and what he sees as the CME’s slow efforts to help him retrieve $30,000 in stranded capital, Rietzke says his faith in the futures industry has been shaken to its core.

“I have no confidence in the market, because it could happen at any other brokerage,” Rietzke told Reuters from his 8,000 acre ranch near the southwest Kansas town of Coldwater.

The individual investor is screwed. They have little to no confidence in the market and are starting to realize it is fixed game against them.

Monday’s news that the missing funds at MF Global may have doubled to $1.2 billion has only deepened the mistrust of the system.

“I’m pretty confused and discouraged and not sure what the future holds,” said Tony Rohrs, who farms corn, soybeans and wheat in Ohio, and had hedge accounts at MF Global.

Yet the CME believes that it can win back the investors over time.

“I think a lot of the anger is misplaced,” says Jeff Malec, the chief executive of Attain Capital Management, who has called on CME to do more to minimize the damage to the futures market.

“I don’t think they were asleep at the wheel; they were hoodwinked, it could have happened to anyone. If there’s fraud going on, it doesn’t matter who’s in charge,” said Malec.

Neither MF Global nor Corzine has been charged by authorities with any wrongdoing.

John Damgard, president of the Futures Industry Association, said the market will have to spend “a long time winning back customer confidence.”

“I have full confidence that we will do that. The growth of the markets proved how incredibly valuable these instruments have become. It’s just that now there are questions like: if it can happen at MF Global, can it happen some place else?”

Can you trust these clowns – the answer is NO. People are waking up to the fact that the markets are a fixed game where we the investors are the pigeons. Once more and more people wake up to this, the sooner the markets unwind. And Oh, considering over $1.2 Billion is missing and no charges being brought on MF or Mr Cozzine, the game is fixed.

The

41. 2011 November 21 9:03 pm

42. 2011 November 21 9:21 pm

GN,

Sentiment does not surprise me. Saw a lede of Drudge that the losses might be $1.2Bn double the original assessment. As I recall a week of two back there was a woman who shut down her brokerage when she saw the hand writing on the wall.

As it is, the individual investor had their “here’s your sign” moment when the top institutional bond holders were screwed over by the GM/Chrysler bailout. Was a big red flag in my book.

43. 2011 November 21 9:35 pm

Corzine is connected and protected…but being a DEMOCRAT, he is never suspected.

the media will bury his involvement deeper and deeper

44. 2011 November 21 9:52 pm

True as it goes JR. But considering the treatment Madoff got, Obama might just decide, `Hey you know, every once in a while we have to burn one of our own.` Especially if the $$$ are big enough for a lot of people to take notice. Besides, Corzine won’t be a big ticket donor much longer if ya know what I mean.

45. 2011 November 22 3:04 am
    judyt2012 permalink

Any thoughts on Romney’s first ad?

I was not impressed…it was very, ah, vanilla…with no sprinkles. Now he says he will repeal Obamacare. Interesting, now is this a flip or is this a flop? I thought a few months ago he was talking about waivers and not repeal.

Any explanations for the change in philosophy? Could it be his flat, (as in flatlined) support?

46. 2011 November 22 4:54 am

Forget the main part of the story, I find the tail end about the implant returning sight to people the more important part, hope the surgery and trials go well.

47. Vanilla indeed. It may be ok for New Hampshire market though.

“Now he says he will repeal Obamacare. Interesting, now is this a flip or is this a flop?”
    No you are wrong on both accounts and the link article even alludes too it. First it’s not a flip flop he’s said it a million times since it passed – now do you really believe him is another matter. Second on the waivers he’s said he’d do that within the first few hours of being president to get the ball rolling, since it could take weeks for congress to actually pass a removal\replacement bill. He’s said both for a very long time now, they are not mutually exclusive. Please don’t make me stick up for Romney like this, it’s not something I enjoy, but it’s also important not to criticize him on a false premise.

47. 2011 November 22 5:03 am

31. May happen sooner then you think, though who needs a mandate on the rfid tags when large retailers seem to be introducing them all on their own for inventory control & other purposes into just about everything already, I really wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already being done more widely then you think.

RFID tag hidden inside a pair of shoes purchased in Greece

48. 2011 November 22 5:41 am

Pretty funny mythbusters was pressured not to air episode on how hackable\trackable rfids are. Didn’t know that.

Probably what they would have shown

49. 2011 November 22 6:02 am

kh, RFIDs are alarmingly UN-secure…and extrememly TRACKABLE! And yes, they are silently being implanted in virtually every product…for inventory control and theft-prevention.

Luckily [WHEW!] we have Lord Obama ruling us…and thus we need never ever ever worry about government intrusion in our lives! 👿

50. 2011 November 22 6:19 am

good article at RedState:

shoulda been on bc3b’s thread…but what the heck 🙂

51. 2011 November 22 6:26 am

p.s. Reuters (more like alReeuters every day) is now turning to Jack Abramoff to attack Newt Gingrich. Jack wrote his attack piece from a “halfway-house” now that he is out of prison.

Credibility? We don’t neeeeeed no steeeenking credibility…WE’RE THE LAMESTREAM MEDIA, DAMMIT!!

52. 2011 November 22 6:47 am

There is a book out, `Spy Chips` that details the capabilities and tech behind RFID. Its a startling read.

Judy, thanks for the link on the Super Committee.

53. 2011 November 22 6:58 am

666 be upon us

54. 2011 November 22 6:59 am

but if you turn that upside down, IP, it becomes “999” 🙂

55. 2011 November 22 8:17 am
    judyt2012 permalink

KH — thank you for the correction. I have heard Mitt defend Romneycare and that he would grant everyone a waiver from Obamacare I wasn’t sure if it was a blanket waiver and people/organizations had to opt in, or if it was necessary to file all the paperwork to opt out. This was the first that I heard him say to “repeal” the entire bill rather than just tinker with it. I am not sure if he has changed his how approach.

I did watch the ad. There is a picture of Mitt about halfway through where instantly my mind flashed on this, although I doubt that was the mental memory the ad producers wanted to invoke. Could they have been reaching for this image

Note to Romney Ad Producers: Hands on hips is not a good image — not even 4 year old girls.