Battleground Vote

2012 January 31

The candidates listed on today’s ballot in Florida are names I never expected to define this year’s presidential campaign. Florida’s voting date precedes many other states, but that means I’m faced with hard choices.

As you know Florida jumped their RNC designated primary date ahead of South Carolina’s and lost half of her delegates. The Florida GOP is breaking another rule and has decided delegates will not be awarded proportionally according to votes within each congressional district, a rule that was to be applied to all states voting before March, but the votes will be winner take all. RNC has stated a state can only be punished once (what a loophole!), but there’s a possibility of a challenge to Florida’s delegate decision that opens the door to more strife and backroom deals. I’ll leave it to you to decide why the Florida GOP did this, but I certainly have my own opinion.

At Babalú Blog, Henry Louis Gomez has written the post What I learned from Mr. Collins and why I’m voting for Newt Gingrich.

I have no illusions about Newt Gingrich’s negatives, as I said when I personally endorsed Newt Gingrich on October 13th of last year, there are no perfect candidates in this race. Which leads me to Mitt Romney, the most imperfect of the three remaining serious contenders (Rick Santorum being the third).

Mitt Romney is neither a conservative nor a Republican….

Despite not being a Republican for the vast majority of his life, Mitt Romney is running for Republican nomination. He’s using surrogates, Super PACs, and an incredible fundraising advantage not to build his own case but to tear down others. When Newt Gingrich began to surge in Iowa, Romney flooded the airwaves with attacks. As I pointed out previously, there’s no doubt that Romney slung first mud in this primary and he hasn’t stopped…

Over the weekend I was on twitter asking Romney supporters to give me affirmative reasons that Romney should be the Republican nominee. I explained that I didn’t want to hear negatives about other candidates, I wanted to know what Mitt Romney has done in his career to earn the mantle of the Republican party in this upcoming election. The responses I got were that he’s a great family man, a great businessman and that he saved the Olympics. All very admirable but I would argue that that’s not enough.

Gomez mentions the mud slung by Romney at Huckabee in 2008, and we’re read Judy’s comments on what she saw in South Carolina while working with Fred Thompson’s campaign. I agree with Gomez that Romney isn’t building his own case on his government record in Massachusetts (I’m not talking about the sanitized version). He’s not, because he can’t. Instead, he has relied on others who out of their “stupidity, naiveté and [or] conflicts of interest on the right,” have vouched for him as a conservative while his surrogates rip his opponents apart. He has had—and the phrase really applies—the unmitigated gall to say, “If The Truth Is The Standard, We Win.

Last night I also read Richard Miniter’s Is Mitt Romney Actually Electable? This is from the front page:

So why does nearly every pundit and politician think that is the only “electable” candidate, the only one who can beat Obama?

The facts and evidence tell a different story.

Romney has never won a majority (50% or better) of Republican primary or caucus voters. And, two-thirds of the time, he has had to spend vast sums just to claim the number two spot.

Tomorrow’s GOP primary in Florida may change that—but it won’t settle the issue of Romney’s electability.  Romney enjoys leads in polls ranging from between five to 15 points. But he and his super-PACs had to spend more than $15 million in television advertising and millions more in radio spots and targeted mailings. If anything, Romney’s price per vote is rising—an unsustainable model given campaign-finance limits.

Meanwhile, Romney’s heavily negative advertising only drives Tea Party activists and other conservatives from one non-Romney candidate to another. Divide and conquer is a storied strategy; it may well work in Florida. But it doesn’t build votes for Romney. The non-Romney vote–despite millions of dollars, months of media coverage and dozens of debates—remains stubbornly north of 60% among Republican voters. If Romney is going to defeat Obama, he will have to unite the Grand Old Party behind him. So far, there is no evidence is any state that he can do just that.

The Romney candidacy has taken the battle between some of the GOP insiders and the conservative base and turned it into a war: Dr. Milton R. Wolf: WOLF: Panicked GOP insiders land in bizarro world and Jeffrey Lord: Newt Battles Mush From the Wimps.

So what does all this have to do with my vote? I don’t know what I should call it: the Not-RomneyVote, the Stop-Romney Vote or the At-Least-Slow-Romney-Down Vote. Sarah Palin gave us her thoughts on the primaries, and this stood out to me:

Now, I respect Governor Romney and his success. But there are serious concerns about his record and whether as a politician he consistently applied conservative principles and how this impacts the agenda moving forward. The questions need answers now. That is why this primary should not be rushed to an end.

I started vetting Mitt Romney some ten years ago, but I think others need to have no illusion about his record, his application of conservative principles (that should be a short list!) and how it will impact any conservative agenda. Republicans need to do it in the primaries rather than let the Democrats do it if Romney becomes the candidate.

In my opinion a challenge to the Florida GOP’s winner take all decision has little chance of succeeding, unless the GOP finds some reason to use it for manipulation at the convention. This also influenced my vote.

At this stage in the primary process, my At-Least-Slow-Romney-Down Vote went to Newt. I know some of you agree and some disagree. I weighed other factors, not just the few mentioned here, and you’ve already read many of them in my comments.

I will also tell you this is the most troubling primary vote I can remember ever casting, because it was a decision that carried a sense of the heaviest responsibility I’ve ever known towards my fellow conservatives and towards my country.
__________
Voting United States photo: Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Henry Louis Gomez, Babalú Blog, What I learned from Mr. Collins and why I’m voting for Newt Gingrich.
Steve Baldwin, The Case Against Mitt Romney.
Real Clear Politics, “If The Truth Is The Standard, We Win.”
Richard Miniter, Is Mitt Romney Actually Electable?.
Dr. Milton R. Wolf: WOLF: Panicked GOP insiders land in bizarro world: Mitt Romney is Reaganesque like Michael Moore is athletic
Jeffrey Lord, Newt Battles Mush From the Wimps.
Sarah Palin, Cannibals in GOP Establishment Employ Tactics of the Left.

1. 2012 January 31 4:22 pm

I apologize for the length of this post. I’m not even sure it was necessary for me to write it, but I wanted to do so.

This doesn’t have to serve as an open thread for the results if anyone would like to put one up. It’s sort of my stream of consciousness angst post.

Bear with me while I attribute some of my references in the post.

I see I also need to edit some of my grammar!

🙂

2. 2012 January 31 4:28 pm

Frankly Eph, I’m shocked.

Komen says the key reason is that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress — a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups.

Done by attorney’s advice, no doubt, but at least it’s done.

3. 2012 January 31 4:31 pm

Anyone have a link for tonight Mitt vs. Not Mitt results?

4. 2012 January 31 4:34 pm

I see I also need to edit some of my grammar!~~~INC

You might also want to reconsider the spelling of battleground 🙂

5. 2012 January 31 4:38 pm

Ouch!

Talk about missing the obvious!! Now you know what my state of mind was.

Thanks, ip. I’ve also corrected the link.

6. 2012 January 31 4:40 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Baddullgrownd, write?

7. 2012 January 31 4:42 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Interesting link about Komen. I guess it took them long enough to finally discover that half of the aborted fetuses would one day be women who won’t ever get the chance to potentially develop cancer.

8. 2012 January 31 4:43 pm

Yeah, I know, Bruce. This live down I will not.

Eph, check ip’s first comment.

The MSM will be on it, I’m sure. The official tally usually lags because they’re supposed to have their ducks in a row before they post it.

I’ll see what I can find.

9. 2012 January 31 4:46 pm

mpt, there have also been advocates of The ABC Link (Abortion Breast Cancer). Maybe a decision was made that they needed to look at that.

10. 2012 January 31 4:52 pm
    mpthompson permalink

INC, the sad truth is probably it was basically a financial decision. If libs can’t give other peoples money away, they don’t give. Komen probably realized separating themselves from the death industry was a financially good move if they become more dependent upon private financing in the coming years. Wow, I’m getting really cynical these days. 🙁

11. 2012 January 31 4:53 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

INC you are a woman of unquestionable principle.

I realize how difficult today’s vote was. I can only suggest the metaphor of the back fires used to stop wildfires.

Yes, intentionally lighting these fires does result in damage but sometimes this is the only option in stopping the highly destructive wild fire from continuing to burn out of control.

12. 2012 January 31 4:54 pm

Eph #3 –

Good news. We need to keep the pressure up. When I learned that Staples supports Planned Parenthood, I switched my business spending (which had been 100% with Staples) to OfficeMax.

I only spent about $3,000 a year with Staples, but it’s a start.

13. 2012 January 31 4:56 pm

The Catholic Church (especially in Ohio) has been going after Komen for its PP support.

14. 2012 January 31 4:56 pm

You can expect Newt to attempt to gain 5-6 states in the Old South. Fla not being one of them. Interesting GOP convention rules —

Rule 40

(a) In making the nominations for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States and voting thereon, the roll of the states shall be called separately in each case; provided, however, that if there is only one candidate for nomination for Vice
    President of the United States who has demonstrated the support required by paragraph (b) of this rule, a motion to nominate for such office by acclamation shall
    be in order and no calling of the roll with respect to such office shall be required.

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a plurality of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of
    that candidate for nomination.

To paraphrase the Northern BJG contingent — It shall be ‘Newts March to the Convention.’ If he has that many states and figure he has SC and will most likely get GA. It is not hard to imagine he would be prevented from getting 4 more along the way.

15. 2012 January 31 4:56 pm

mpt, money was probably important.

As for cynicism, it’s hard not to be today. It helps if I step back and think of those I know who are honorable.

16. 2012 January 31 4:57 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Y’know, Newt had the right formula, take it to the press and to Obama. But his ego ultimately gets him in trouble….I rather doubt he can come back from this. Even so I still can’t abide Mitt. Glad I live in California (well, maybe not) where my vote doesnt matter for Prez.

Still a long ways to go…..Santorum miracle? Y’gotta admit his little Bella is a precious thing.

17. 2012 January 31 4:58 pm

Judy, thanks for the encouragement.

The backfire example really fits.

18. 2012 January 31 5:01 pm

Dr. D.: It shall be ‘Newts March to the Convention.’

If he can’t be Grant, he’ll be Sherman.

19. 2012 January 31 5:03 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

FYI I decided $10 million of negative ads ago I was voting for Ron Paul in the Virginia primary.

And INC … today is proof that too many folks in Florida has spent too much time out in the sun.

Romney is a sleaze. Romney makes Nixon look ethical and decent. Nixon was faithful to his wife too.

20. 2012 January 31 5:05 pm

FOX has already called it for Romney.

I apologize for the uninformed voters in my state.

21. 2012 January 31 5:05 pm

Nixon was faithful to his wife too

Pat will be glad to know that! Sorry it struck me funny. But Judy an excellent point. 🙂

22. 2012 January 31 5:08 pm

So has CNN called it for Romney.

23. 2012 January 31 5:10 pm

Looking at the FOX map, I’m at least glad to see north central Florida and part of the panhandle going to Gingrich. Those south central states are very conservative as well.

Those are probably the most conservative areas in Florida. And I hate to say it, but they’re probably also the areas with the most Floridians who have been here for a generation or more.

24. 2012 January 31 5:10 pm
    beej permalink

Judy, I was contacted today about a group who was voting for Paul here in Va as a vote against Romney.

I would never in my life thought I’d end pulling a lever for Paul. I can’t think of Paul without thinking of acroso. But now, it’s something I am considering.

25. 2012 January 31 5:12 pm

Judy, I said the other day that Romney’s morals seem to be very narrowly defined. I meant to that same area = his family.

26. 2012 January 31 5:12 pm
    brucefdb permalink

judyt…right on, Paul in Virginia. Hell, I would vote for Ron Paul over Mittens anyday.

27. 2012 January 31 5:14 pm

Thanks for the other map, ip. That county march continues on the same track.

It’s not that the rest of Florida doesn’t have natives, but those are areas that have been flooded with transplants.

They’ve broken out of Dade and the rest of SE Florida.

28. 2012 January 31 5:14 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Beej — that is all I can think to do at this point. I just don’t see how Romney will do anything but lose.

It seems the late voters bought into Romney’s $15 million smear job.

Romney did not sell anyone on him, he sold people on NOT the others.

Romney has not sold anyone on Romney.

Levin is asking the Romney supporters to explain why Romneycare is good … none of them can explain why

29. 2012 January 31 5:17 pm

GOP Convention rules up on the BJG media center if needed.

30. 2012 January 31 5:18 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Bruce… I don’t relish voting for Paul, as I will never turn my back on Israel.

So I guess I will have to vote the fingers on both hands crossed.

31. 2012 January 31 5:20 pm

My family goes back at least to one of my great-great grandmothers being born in the north central county of Suwanee. I have relatives there and many in Columbia county next to it.

Duval is another one, but it’s also invaded.

This may sound odd, but it actually encourages me to see the counties that seem to be going for Not-Romney Gingrich. At least I can say my kith and kin weren’t duped.

32. 2012 January 31 5:23 pm

Used to deer hunt in Suwanee all the time in my youth. Still has that small town feel too.

33. 2012 January 31 5:24 pm

Dr. D., how do I get to the media center? (excuse my ignorance).

34. 2012 January 31 5:24 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

How long have I been preaching that Romney beating Obama is no slam dunk. Romney plays right into all of Obama’s class warfare while Romney has no ability to explain the conservative principles that defeat class warfare, and Romneycare/Obamacare… what’s the difference.

INC posted the some great links.

All this is making me physically ill.

I guess as long as Obama’s fed keeps printing money I’ll have a job. Until he does the purge.

35. 2012 January 31 5:30 pm

Judy, of any politician I can remember, I have the strongest antagonism towards Romney.

Stronger even than Obama. I think because BHO is exactly who I thought he would be.

It’s partly disappointment that Sarah Palin didn’t run, but that’s a small part of it. As I said I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in 2008, but I was unwise to do even that.

36. 2012 January 31 5:30 pm
    brucefdb permalink

judyt….Ron Paul would not turn his back on Israel, no matter what he says, if he were prez. Of course it’s a moot point since he will never be. Now Obama will secretly cheer if Israel is attacked.

37. 2012 January 31 5:31 pm

Bringing everyone back to reality, according to a Gallup poll released this week, Gingrich performs worse than ANY other GOP candidate against Obama both with national registered voters and swing state registered voters:

People tend to vote for candidates who are likable. The simple fact is that Newt Gingrich is not a likable person, particularly with women – like the two women in my family.

38. 2012 January 31 5:31 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

He was guilty of nothing except that he earned his own fortune and never forgot that it was his.

Romney-Galt 2012!

39. 2012 January 31 5:32 pm

Dashboard –> third item on the list in the vertical tool bar.

40. 2012 January 31 5:32 pm

INC –

I agree on Sarah. I don’t know why she decided against running – Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry were running, she feared for her family’s safety, she didn’t want to fragment the voting any farther, etc.

If the best hope to stop Romney is a faux conservative who did nothing major to promote the conservative movement from 1999, when he resigned from Congress until 2010, when he decided to run for President, there’s no way we can stop Romney.

Seriously, between 1999 Newt backed the global warming scam and cap and trade, supported “comprehensive immigration reform,” promoted individual mandates, shilled for Medicare D and talked about being “Wilsonian,” how FDR was the greatest President of the 20th century, the era of Reagan was over and spoke positively about ObamaCare. What major thing did Newt do to promote conservatism from 1999 – 2009?

41. 2012 January 31 5:34 pm

Romney led from behind the last few years and let SP take the heat as she spoke out against BHO so often. His record in MA is the real Romney and he’s built his conservative creds with money and endorsements by opportunist politicians.

The depth of his slyness in putting this together repulses me, and the fact that GOP insiders would push the advocate and co-author of RomneyCare deeply angers me.

42. 2012 January 31 5:34 pm

He was guilty of nothing except that he earned sucked it out of M&A and made it his own fortune and never forgot that it was his.

Romney-Galt 2012!

Fixed if for ya….

43. 2012 January 31 5:37 pm

bc, I think the GOP insiders could have alleviated or repaired some perceptions of Gingrich. Obviously, his adultery will always loom, but I do think they could have made some statements about his ethics allegation and a few other things.

44. 2012 January 31 5:39 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

This has to be the biggest collection of anti-capitalist Ayn Rand fans on the web. Maybe you guys can hook up with Occupy Wall Street to save money on anti-Romney signs. By the way, any thoughts on Knight in Shining Armor Newt’s lying Kosher food ad?

45. 2012 January 31 5:39 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Romney says we will have a united party… I guess that means my check is in the mail, because I need a huge check to sell my principles and vote for that scum.

46. 2012 January 31 5:40 pm

“Nixon was faithful to his wife too.”

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. 2012 January 31 5:41 pm

Dr. D./43, thanks.

Bitterlaw, he’s guilty of quite a few other things. A nice summary is found at the link in my post titled The Case Against Mitt Romney.

We were living in NH when Romney ran for Senate and Governor. I can’t remember being tuned in to his race against Teddy in ’94, but he came on my radar when he started his governor’s campaign.

48. 2012 January 31 5:41 pm

INC,

Be on KOS troll alert.

49. 2012 January 31 5:41 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Defend Romneycare Bitter… then take your insults and shove them next to your brains.

50. 2012 January 31 5:46 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Bitter is a pro-abortion, pro gay marriage “moderate”…

He is also a squishy little ugly insulting rat

He also claims to be a lawyer.

He also had his brains pulled out the other day when his teeth were extracted

51. 2012 January 31 5:46 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

Judy – always a pleasure. I don’t have to defend Romneycare. I don’t live in Massachusetts. States have the right to make stupid decisions but it was a plan that was signed off on by the Heritage Foundation and DeMint (they used to be considered conservative stalwarts). Newt was saying it was morally indefensible to not have mandates as late as 2009. Why does Newt get a free pass on these issues?

As for my being from DailyKOS, what a joke. I have neve posted there and their orange type gives me a headache. People who know me from HHR know that I ran for Congress in 2002 as the Republican nominee (sacrificial lamb) against Fattah.

52. 2012 January 31 5:46 pm

Bitterlaw/48, read my post below this one: Corn, Capitalism & Compassion.

That’s one of many examples that refute what you said.

From what I know of her (I’m also not exactly an Ayn Rand fan or very knowledgeable about her, don’t tell Justrand), my distinct impression was that she waged war against anti-capitalism.

53. 2012 January 31 5:47 pm

54. Sounds like an closet Obama supporter to me.

54. 2012 January 31 5:48 pm

55 Hi Jan

55. 2012 January 31 5:48 pm

I just got instant headache.

Bitterlaw, those you mention no longer cling to it as Romney does.

56. 2012 January 31 5:49 pm

Eph, cut it out. I’ve check ips in the past and he’s not Jan.

57. 2012 January 31 5:50 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

He also had his brains pulled out the other day when his teeth were extracted

It’s cool that I have a stalker over at HHRI am not pro-abortion. I support civil unions but not gay marriage. I am a lawyer (why would anybody claim to be that if they weren’t?)

He is also a squishy little ugly insulting rat – I will look better when the teeth are finished and I did lose weight since I can’t eat much so I’m less squishy. Rat? Well, that’s not my call.

58. 2012 January 31 5:52 pm

Here’s a post from HA last night. It’s not as well spoken as INC’s but it certainly hits a nerve:

All. Of. You. Newt. Guys. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

Individual mandate? Newt was for it for 20 years.

Carbon taxes? Newt was for it.

Clamping down on the First Amendment to fight the GWOT? Newt was for it.

Who was to the LEFT of John Kerry on Global Warming? Newt!

Who believed that the Federal government could mandate diet & exercise? Newt

Who said: “The American challenge in leading the world is compounded by our Constitution. Under our [constitutional system] — either we’re going to have to rethink our Constitution, or we’re going to have to rethink our process of decision-making. [I believe in a] “very strong but limited federal government. I am for the United Nations”? Newt, Newt, Newt!

Who believed that medical marijuana should be legal? Newt.

Who voted to codify the Fairness Doctrine? Newt.

Who said “I’m an Eisenhower Republican”? Newt.

Who said “I am a Rockefeller Republican”? Newt.

Who said “It was an enormous mistake for us to try to occupy [Iraq] after June of 2003. We have to pull back, and we have to recognize it”? Newt.

Who said “So while we need to improve the regulation of the GSEs [Government-Sponsored Enterprises], I would be very cautious about fundamentally changing their role or the model itself”? Newt.

Who said “The opportunity society calls not for a laissez-faire society in which the economic world is a neutral jungle of purely random individual behavior, but for forceful government intervention on behalf of growth and opportunity”? Newt.

Who said (about climate change and cap-n-trade) “I am not automatically saying that coercion and bureaucracy is not an answer”? Newt.

Who said “Andy Stern, the head of the Service Employees International Union, is the union leader who probably best understands the challenge of the world market and the need to make American union members productive in the face of world competition. Sadly, he is a distinct minority among union leaders”? Newt.

Who said “I suspect, were I still in Congress, in the end, I would probably end up reluctantly yes (voting for TARP)”? Newt.

Who said “I believe in a lean bureaucracy, not in no bureaucracy. You can have an active, aggressive conservative state which does not in fact have a centralized bureaucracy. We have not seen an activist conservative presidency since TR”? Newt.

Who said “I would never vote against my conscience. On the other hand, I also make it a habit to have relatively few things I feel bitterly moral about”? Newt.

Who said “I’m not a natural leader. I’m too intellectual; I’m too abstract; I think too much”? Newt.

Who said “I risk sounding not quite as right-wing as I should, but I’ve spent enough of my life fighting”? Newt.

Every argument you guys make about Mitt can be made against Newt; yet, you give Newt a pass and he has more baggage than the baggage terminal at Heathrow and none of the business successes. Very strange.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Resist We Much could have included Newt being one of 28 Republicans to vote for creation of the Department of Education, his support of the amnesty of 1986 as well as a number of smaller amnesties (Haiti, etc.) and working to prevent e-verify from becomning mandatory as Speaker.

If we are trying to stop Mitt Romney with this guy, we’re bound to fail.

59. 2012 January 31 5:53 pm

OK, everyone cut with the insults.

Bitterlaw, are you commenting with a purpose other than to poke sticks in everyone’s eyes?

60. 2012 January 31 5:53 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

Eph – my first choice was Christie. I liked Perry until he called me hertless for not supporting in-state tuition for illegals. His debate performances sealed it for me. Get some of your lurkers to see how much I can’t stand Obama.

61. 2012 January 31 5:54 pm

“If we are trying to stop Mitt Romney with this guy, we’re bound to fail.”

I can’t argue with that point.

A lot of great candidates sat out. WHY?

Now we have Bob Dole x 2

62. 2012 January 31 5:54 pm

INC – it has to get a whole lot worse AND then it gets really really bad.

Best thing you or anyone else can do is get closer to God (don’t have to worry about you on that). Outside of that – BEANS & BULLETS. Plus get close to like minded people as you are going to need allies and friends.

63. 2012 January 31 5:54 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Not Jan….. but Bitterlaw has done nothing but insult everyone here in the most vile fashion… I guess that explains why he supports Romney …like attracts like.

64. 2012 January 31 5:56 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

INC… he is over here to mock us and gloat that less than a majority of people in Florida bought into the $15 million dollars of slime.

65. 2012 January 31 5:58 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

INC – I am trying to understand the Gingrich campaign strategy of attacking Romney for being a capitalist. Obama will do it soon enough. I was curious how Gingrich’s lies about kosher food played here but apparently nobody cares. It seems that many of the accusations by Romney against Gingrich and vice versa are similar – mandates, global warming, etc. The GOP has to come together to win. Unfortunately, the nominee needs Independendents, too, because there are not enough Republicans.

66. 2012 January 31 5:58 pm

68. Great point. Plus the entire GOP establishment poured everything on Newt this last week.

Mittens still wont get a majority

1996 redux

67. 2012 January 31 5:59 pm

bc, I’ve been commenting at Hot Air since their 2nd or 3rd open registration. Maybe you or others have, too. I don’t know. What I’ve seen from the Romney swarm there has been the worst insults, repeated lies and set of talking points I’ve known.

I really don’t want to get into that here. It would help me a lot if you’d make your own case with your own links.

68. 2012 January 31 6:00 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

What lies, judyt? Newt’s own words? I never knew that a former Speaker of the House and paid lobbyist/historian could be an outsider.

69. 2012 January 31 6:00 pm

71 INC.

Take everything you hear from the Romney-bots with a grain of salt.

70. 2012 January 31 6:02 pm

Judy/68, that’s what I assumed and what has been verified.

Bitterlaw, I’ve never claimed Newt was perfect or even someone I ever thought would be a good candidate. I’ve thought some of his attacks were wrong and some were wild.

71. 2012 January 31 6:02 pm

Bitterlaw,

There is a difference between the Invisible Hand of open markets and the Coercive Hand of Crony Capitalism. Right now we are in the hands of a K Street – Wall Street axis and Main Street is withering on the vine. Till you and others like you understand that difference, you sow the seeds of your children’s destruction.

I would hazard that everyone of the BJG regulars are a stalwart capitalist in classical Adam Smith sense of the word.

72. 2012 January 31 6:02 pm

#46 — very funny

The Romney folks just don’t get it… when Obama starts releasing all the details of the deals where Bain crammed down other investors, diluting their ownership to zero and as a result US taxpayers lost millions, millions that went directly into Romney’s offshore bank accounts… it will not matter that it was all capitalism and those that lost money just made bad decisions in the VC arena.

It will not matter to those squishes in the middle.

73. 2012 January 31 6:03 pm

Thanks, Eph.

74. 2012 January 31 6:03 pm

I like your distinctions and analysis, Dr. D.

75. 2012 January 31 6:04 pm

INC,

Where abouts in FL do you live?

76. 2012 January 31 6:04 pm

#42 Only someone who hasn’t read the book could say something like that- in defense of Romney- and consider it to be a legitimate comment!!!! 😆

What happened at the factory? SOCIALISM. Romneycare in factory form.

77. 2012 January 31 6:04 pm

It’s PPP, so we should take it with a grain (block???) of salt, but their polling (such as it is) indicates Santorum is leading Romney in Missouri. Gingrich is not on the ballot because he filed late:

78. 2012 January 31 6:07 pm

BC

Oh the irony if Newt dropped out and the race was Santorum vs. Mittens.

Brokered convention might not be that far fetched

And yes, I’m for a brokered convention!

79. 2012 January 31 6:07 pm

bc, I’m sincerely glad to hear that. If Santorum wins the nomination, I’ll volunteer for him.

Eph, we were on the Space Coast, now we’re elsewhere. I may have said it in the past, I can’t remember. I’ll e-mail and tell you if you like, but I don’t want to go into even a general location in a thread.

80. 2012 January 31 6:08 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Bitterlaw… you do know that Bain Capital pays belongs to a lobbying organization right?

You do know that Bain Capital pays thousands… probably hundreds of thousands to lobbyist right?

81. 2012 January 31 6:08 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

If there was a brokered convention, who would you support? Christie-Rubio works for me.

82. 2012 January 31 6:09 pm

I’ve read one book of Ayn Rand’s: Anthem. It’s probably her shortest one. I hope that doesn’t mean I’m kicked off the site. 😀

Even that small book got her point across.

83. 2012 January 31 6:10 pm

“If Santorum wins the nomination, I’ll volunteer for him.”

Ditto. I can head up his “Jews 4 Santorum” org!

84. 2012 January 31 6:11 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

YEAH Romney he has the support of all of those Republican establishment guys/gals who stood by and gave us $10 trillion in new debt since Newt left the house.

Wow… supported by the scum who stood by and put us into this position… wonderful

85. 2012 January 31 6:11 pm
    Bitterlaw permalink

INC – I voted for Santorum 3 times as Senator. Do you honestly believe that he can win or do you think he will at least lose with the right message? As the nominee, he will be asked nothing but abortion and contraception questions at the debates with Obama. I think he has good ideas on foreign policy but those will be lost in the campaign.

86. 2012 January 31 6:12 pm

88. And how much since the GOP “took over” after the 2010 elections?

87. 2012 January 31 6:14 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Romney attacking Gingrich for being a consultant to FM saying he is a K street lobbyist… and all the time Romney was at Bain, and even still Bain pays $$$$$$ to lobbying firms…

oh yes, Romney doesn’t get dirty… he sends his surrogates to do his dirty work…

and people like Bitterlaw are the fools who do his dirty work.

88. 2012 January 31 6:16 pm

Bitterlaw, I think he can win against Obama. IMO there’s the least mud to throw at him.

He’ll need to learn to handle those questions in a debate and deflect or turn to another subject. I think he can do it because he’s improved.

89. 2012 January 31 6:16 pm

Bitterlaw,

I don’t want to get sidetracked back into this, but Andy McCarthy had some good words to say about that 10th amendment issue in Right, Wrong, and Romney.

90. 2012 January 31 6:17 pm

Also don’t forget that the largest Medicare fraud ever committed was commissioned by Romney thru Bain. — http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/RomneyWasManagerandBoardMemberofCorpGuiltyofMedicareFraud/2012/01/27/id/425817

91. 2012 January 31 6:19 pm

93, 94

How on earth can anyone expect Romney to win in November, but then be an impact President even if he does win?

92. 2012 January 31 6:20 pm

OTOH attacking Romney only requires citing some facts about his record as governor in MA.

He will also be attacked from the right about RomneyCare. An Obama PAC will point out its details. RC has a record, and the Obama PAC will simply say ObamaCare is different because of that.

That may not convince people to vote for Obama, but I don’t know where that would leave Romney.

93. 2012 January 31 6:23 pm

Eph, I don’t.

Also, I’ve seen so much anger towards Romney on the internet and towards the GOP insiders for effectively taking ObamaCare off the table by pushing Romney. That combined anger is scorching.

I think as well that some people who have already voted for him will bitterly regret their vote as more info comes out–that will translate into anger.

94. 2012 January 31 6:29 pm

I notice no one took up my challenge to name any major thing Newt did between 1999 and 2009 to promote conservatism. Global warming, cap and trade, individual mandates, support of “comprehensive immigration reform,” endorsing RomneyCare and shilling for Medicare D don’t count.

If you get the impression that I am for Romney, you are wrong. I realize it’s a losing cause but I am backing Santorum because at least I can respect him.

My complaint is that so many conservatives are so willing to constantly give Newt a pass when he has betrayed conservatives over and over and over.

95. 2012 January 31 6:30 pm

In 2008, Florida passed an amendment to the state constitution defining marriage as only a union between one man and one woman.

It passed with roughly 62% of the vote. That’s Rs, Indies and Ds voting in a state that went for Obama with 51% of the vote.

(I voted for the amendment. I’m getting the stats from Wiki).

It’s my opinion that if Floridians knew what Romney’s options were in MA about same-sex “marriage” and the way in which he retreated from taking a stand and fighting it, he wouldn’t have won the primary.

I’d be willing to guess Santorum would have surged and taken the state.

96. 2012 January 31 6:30 pm

bc, I didn’t realize you’d made a challenge.

97. 2012 January 31 6:36 pm

been working on the house…and missed most of the thread. Shucks. 🙂

seriously…Mitt’s victory speech (on in the background while we were working) was ok…just ok. But he did focus MORE on Obama…just not hard yet.

But congrats Mitt…NOW how about calling for ISSUES from now on…eh?????

98. 2012 January 31 6:40 pm
    beej permalink

Newt’s speech was pretty good! (imho)

99. 2012 January 31 6:40 pm
    brucefdb permalink

I’m all for jumping on the Santorum bandwagon. Is Bitterlaw Screwtape? Yeah.

100. 2012 January 31 6:53 pm

With 96% of the precincts in, Romney still hasn’t topped 50% in a primary. (See my Miniter quote above).

101. 2012 January 31 6:53 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“The Fourth Amendment (The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated) abandoned Americans with the formation of the Department of Homeland Security. This year, American children become teens never knowing the freedom of travel without an internal passports. As a child we scoffed at any people that would allow internal passports — the first sing of dictatorship is tracking your opposition in order to destroy them. We knew how badly the Eastern Europeans were treated.

But last year the Congress went farther quickly and swiftly – in the Defense Re-AuthorizationAct, Congress allows Americans on American soil to be treated as enemy combatants under only an accusation of terrorism. The Fifth (nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law) and Sixth (the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation) Amendments fell swiftly.

When the people cried out, Congressmen left and right simply said “the power wasn’t going to be used” or “this isn’t new law.” So now, any dirty cop accusing an enemy of suspected terrorism can haul you or a loved one off to jail without warrant, some level of scrutiny, subpoena, right to seek counsel, right to a speedy trail, informing loved ones of charges – nothing. This isn’t even how enemies should be treated.”

102. 2012 January 31 7:00 pm

Adam West to Switch Districts Hasner out of Senate Race

In a deal with several moving parts, Conservative favorite Rep. Allen West will move over and run in Rep. Tom Rooney’s old district, as Rooney moves on to run in a newly created district. Additionally, Adam Hasner will drop his Senate bid, leaving a somewhat clearer path for Rep. Connie Mack to run for the Senate nomination.

Here’s the link for moving parts:

Miami Herald wonders if Dems will sue.

This I don’t like. I’ve been following Hasner.

But Hasner’s campaign was dealt a serious blow, of sorts, bythe presidential campaign of Mitt Romney, who stumped in the final days across Florida with Mack. Mack picked up precious TV time and the aura of the favored

103. 2012 January 31 7:05 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

There is obviously some crooked deal in place between Santorum and Romney to give him the VP nod or a pile of $$$$ to keep spliting the conservative vote

In any case, Romney is a certain loser or on the way way way slim chance he win the GE he will simply be another establishment Statist who expands the Authortrian power of the insider elite

No different the Obama

One day everyone will wake up in $hithole empoverished police state that is at perpetual war with half the planet (who are also living in Statist hellholes) ala North Korea and wonder WTF happened……

I can tell you what happened – we all beleived in Liberty for US but not for our neighbors!

Until we are prepared to accept the rights of every individual to live in Freedom without “Rulers” to impose “what is best” for them (even if imposed “democratically” via voting)

Government should exisist ONLY to protect our life, libery, and property in situations when we need to do so collectively against force, fraud, and coersive attempts to take them……government is RAW FORCE the use of it is VERY LIMITED in what it can “solve” – and no “personal morality”, “human nature” and “economic equality” arent one of them!

Until we understand what the proper role of government is we will NEVER begin to fix the problems

104. 2012 January 31 7:09 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“Obama redefines exceptionalism in the mode of the French Revolution and Stalin, that class distinction and equality-inequality are the source of our problems. In the face of our loss of Constitutionalism, let’s blame the rich.

Turning the truth on its head is exactly how socialism/Communism came to and maintained its power.

Many say this year’s elections are the turning point as we wade out of the mire of debt (it won’t be fun) or simply give up and keep on our spending mania. Conservatives have been asking us to mend our ways and avoid this turning point for five decades, and the majorities in both parties have ignored them.

In this way, the Tea Party is more correct than ever – follow the Constitution. Maybe it’s time to listen.”

105. 2012 January 31 7:14 pm

If the economy is still in the tank come Nov. we may still
    dump the kenyan,in spite of the rominator.

106. 2012 January 31 7:16 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“Mitt Romney is a repeat of the same show conservatives have seen over and over again and we all know the ending if the candidate gets elected. These plastic men, these political Stretch Armstrongs get inside the Beltway Bubble, the media starts working on them, the establishment starts whispering in their ear and next thing you know, they’re explaining how important comprehensive immigration reform is to the conservative cause or why we need another Bridge to Nowhere.

When you’re a grassroots conservative who has been mocked, ridiculed and attacked for believing in conservatism, capitalism, and the Constitution, sold out again and again by people in your own party, and told your nation is on the verge of a debt-driven crisis that could bankrupt us, the last thing you want is to be treated like you’re stupid by a phony Massachusetts moderate who tells you he believes the same things you do when you damn well know he doesn’t mean a word of it.”

107. 2012 January 31 7:19 pm

Wiley, why do you think there’s a deal? It may be a combination of ego (common to all politicians) and/or thinking he can win enough of the later states to beat back Romney.

I honestly don’t know. I haven’t l00ked at the electoral map to make an educated guess. My hope is that Santorum and Newt will work out a deal to beat Romney if it becomes necessary and before it would be too late to do so.

BTW, according to BuzzFeed Romney outspent Gingrich ~2-1 in SC, and over 4-1 in FL. That’s a lot of money not to break 50%.

108. 2012 January 31 7:21 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#109 When another 5 million people “drop out” of the workforce forever and drop the phoney-as-baloney government propaganda unemployment rate to 6 or 7%

And the government controlled central bank prints a few trillon dollars of “new” currency right out of thin air and hands it out willy-nilly at zero percent interest and we get the word on the government maniupulated GDP up to 5% growth

I doubt your rosey scernario of the great Willard triumph will pan out

Nor does it matter – Willard is a Statist like Obama so NOTHING of any significance will change anyways

109. 2012 January 31 7:21 pm

True, ip.

110. 2012 January 31 7:23 pm

Yale,Harvard, skull and bones,
    The ivy league are all genetic clones,
    From the loins of the elite they do spring,
    Their wisdom and nobles oblige they do bring,
    All they seek are willing drones

Bush/Romney~~~romulus/Remus

111. 2012 January 31 7:25 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#111 I think that Romney is sending alot of that 4-to-1 money to one dude name Santorum to keep him in splitting the Conservative/Tea Party vote

Trust me, I aint thrilled with Newt nor Santorum because they really dont have a great record track record of respecting (much less actually protecting) individual liberty and the Constitution but I agree that either is a significant improvement

I guess I am now a “Radical” or a “nut” because I dont want anymore Statism period – I want real minimalist/Consititutional government NOW

112. 2012 January 31 7:31 pm
    HalJordan permalink

“Mitt Romney is neither a conservative nor a Republican….”

113. 2012 January 31 7:31 pm

~~canis latrans

What with 47% of the people attached to the entitlement nipple,and the rest being siphoned dry to support them, that is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes. It has never happend in history.

We have reached the coffin corner:

There comes a time in human events that societies reach a critical mass.
    We have I fear reached that condition morally,spiritually,economically,and politically.
    We have passed the point of no return,and have reached our coffin corner, and are about to crash and burn. We can’t slow down,we can’t speed up,and in aviation terms we have screwed the pooch.

Coffin_corner_(aviation)
    The coffin corner or Q-Corner is the altitude at or near which
    an aircraft’s stall speed is equal to the critical Mach number, at a given gross weight and G loading. At this altitude the aircraft becomes nearly impossible to keep in stable flight. Since the stall speed is the minimum speed required to maintain level flight, any reduction in speed will cause the airplane to stall and lose altitude. Since the critical Mach number is the maximum speed at which air can travel over the wings without losing lift due to flow separation and shock waves, any increase in speed will cause the airplane to lose lift, or to pitch heavily nose-down, and lose altitude. The “corner” refers to the triangular shape at the top of a flight envelope chart where the stall speed and critical Mach number lines come together.

114. 2012 January 31 7:33 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“Additionally, as Mike Huckabee has noted, “[Romney] looks like the guy who fires you, not the guy who hires you” — and by the way, he does. This, along with the incredibly effective Bain ads that helped sink Mitt in South Carolina are why he’s had to release pictures of himself awkwardly doing laundry — because his campaign believes it allows normal human beings to be able to relate to him better. Is that a good sign?

That our “super electable” GOP candidate feels compelled to release pictures of himself standing in front of a washing machine to reassure people that he’s more like them?

Of course, it won’t work because Mitt Romney may be the first politician I’ve ever seen who has the ability to NEVER appear to be completely sincere about anything”

115. 2012 January 31 7:34 pm
    HalJordan permalink

have you all seen Newt’s non-concession concession speech yet?

Like many Holocaust survivors in Massachusetts’ nursing homes, I know what it is like to be fed a meal by Mitt Romney that I find distasteful and hard to swallow. He’s a religious bigot! He did nothing but lie about me! He stole the election! How else could I lose? I had the celestial Moon, while Romney only had the lowdown filthy Republican Establishment! You people in Florida really suck big time! Calista hates you, too! Now we move on to Nevada where I hope the voters aren’t such senile morons and losers as the people of the so-called ‘Sunshine State’! Here’s you’re sunshine! (Newt then turns and moons the audience)

116. 2012 January 31 7:34 pm

46% Romney
    39% Newt

Romney still can’t top 50% and Newt did keep the spread out of the double digits. For a guy all washed up WITH baggage he did pretty good. Either Newt is viable or there is a huge ground swell of ABR.

117. 2012 January 31 7:36 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#117 Uh, thats my point: No “democratic majority” is “entittled” to vote to empower police state thugs to rob, plunder, loot, and take away the god-given rights of their fellow man!

118. 2012 January 31 7:42 pm

“Well a whole lot of conservatives and a whole lot of Republicans voted for him in Florida, but what do they know?”

Yeah about 46%. That’s the same number McCain got in 2008, btw

How’d that work out for him?

119. 2012 January 31 7:43 pm

the total of Santorum and Gingrich did not (as of now) exceed Romney. Frankly, that is a great result for Romney.

Romney’s MASSIVE money advantage won him Florida…and the next few set up well for him. But he STILL doesn’t inspire ANYONE.

120. 2012 January 31 7:44 pm

Eph: “Yeah about 46%. That’s the same number McCain got in 2008, btw. How’d that work out for him?”

McCain? Oh…you mean PRESIDENT MeCain, right? Thought so!! 🙂

121. 2012 January 31 7:46 pm
    HalJordan permalink

Romney: 46.4%
    Gingrich: 31.9%
    Santorum: 13.4%

122. 2012 January 31 7:47 pm

I am just wondering how long decent people are going to sit around and quietly take this ~~~canis latrans

A history of mankind shows us that humans have always been
    willing to forge the chains of their own captivity. They, like the
    boiled frog ,just don’t realize it until it’s too late.

The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else.”
    ― Frédéric Bastiat

123. 2012 January 31 7:47 pm

HalJordan –

“Mitt Romney is neither a conservative nor a Republican….”

But Newt Gingrich, who has pretty much the same views on most issues (either presently or in the past), is another flip-flopper and a total squish on amnesty is. lol

124. 2012 January 31 7:47 pm

Dr. D./120: ABR.

Here’s an interactive map if anyone would like to bookmark it. There are dots to click on the bar at the bottom to get the election date, state(s) voting that date and delegate numbers. You can also click on a specific state for the same info.

125. 2012 January 31 7:49 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

It hardly matters who wins between Obama and Romney as both are establishment Authoritrian Statists….

As long as so many of us are scared to be called a “nut” or “extreme” or “utopians” by the MSM or estblishment shill types becuase we actually beleive in the Constitution, Liberty, and Individual Rights nothing will change

Oh when things really go to crap ala Wiemar Germany with the coming debt and fiat money economic collapse, historical precident is for the desperate masses to look for a Totalitarian “Dear Leader” to bring about their salvation via unlimited state power…..

We all know how that show ends, eh?

126. 2012 January 31 7:50 pm

Here is where we are today:

As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose–that it may violate property instead of protecting it–then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder ― Frédéric Bastiat, The Law

127. 2012 January 31 7:51 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#125 You will be a good mid-level quisling for the upcoming Police State…..thats right – be a proud useful idiot!

128. 2012 January 31 7:51 pm

Totally O/T, but good reading. This letter written by former slave Jourdan Anderson in 1865, when his former owner, Colonel P.H. Anderson of Big Spring, Tennessee, wanted him to come back to work on his farm.

129. 2012 January 31 7:52 pm

#130 Ah, the bright light of TRUTH

130. 2012 January 31 7:52 pm

Hal Jordan –

Here’s you’re sunshine! (Newt then turns and moons the audience)

That definitely would be a full moon.

131. 2012 January 31 7:53 pm

Well, I guess not totally O/T since JA was a former slave. I’ve got to run. See y’all later.

132. 2012 January 31 7:54 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#132 Not really O/T at all!

We are essentially looking at some form of feudal Serfdom ala the old Iron Curtian being imposed on us in the near future so its very applicable!

133. 2012 January 31 7:58 pm

Hut 1369 will be reaching capacity I fear.

134. 2012 January 31 8:03 pm

135. 2012 January 31 8:06 pm

“democracy” will invariably produce the same results. Mob plunder.

136. 2012 January 31 8:30 pm

95. Magic pixy dust.

137. 2012 January 31 8:36 pm

105. Yup, that something I think about often, including into the context of those that are far younger then we. A 15 year old today doesn’t know of a time when the “travel security” (aka bs) existed as well as many other things we put up or have allowed to erode over just the last 20 or so years.

138. 2012 January 31 8:44 pm
    mpthompson permalink

Saw this over on Hot Air:

I hope this isn’t true, but I suspect it may.

139. 2012 January 31 8:48 pm

Right up till the end. In fact I doubt there are enough left to change course even if they chose to do something about it, election wise anyway.

140. 2012 January 31 8:56 pm

130. apt
    138. cute
    142. That’s been said a lot since the summer on these interwebs, and I can’t argue with it.

141. 2012 January 31 9:34 pm

Dr. Saw your link for me in the other thread, thanks, also ditto on that no-knock story.

142. 2012 February 1 5:22 am

KH, 145,

I am this close to starting an organization that goes after no knock raids. The police won’t give a damn. They have sovereign immunity. But the judges. At the local level most are still elected. We go after the judges for not asking more questions about evidence for a invasive warrant. Then hang them out in public when they go wrong.

143. 2012 February 1 5:33 am

#142 Romney is the Republican John Kerry. No one likes him, they just hate the guy in the White House.

Me – I think this is exactly right.

144. 2012 February 1 5:39 am

Numbers USA reports that Florida Hispanics voted 2 -1 for the “self deport” candidate. Romney and Santorum seem to be a bit more clear on this option than the others, while Newt panders with legalization and amnesty.

Perception becomes reality??

Pack yer bag, jose.

145. 2012 February 1 5:45 am

146. 2012 February 1 5:56 am

This is just how screwed up we are — http://politics.slashdot.org/story/12/01/22/1945243/white-house-petition-to-investigate-dodd-for-bribery

A former Pol admits to a clear expectation of bribery over the failure of PIPA/SOPA and the WH says no comment?

147. 2012 February 1 5:58 am

“Romney is the Republican John Kerry. No one likes him, they just hate the guy in the White House.”

Waiting for BC to turn this post against Newt being a squish…

148. 2012 February 1 5:59 am

147. And Kerry still lost.

149. 2012 February 1 6:03 am

So much for the ABO candidate

Let me stick this icepick in my eye to see how it feels.

150. 2012 February 1 6:07 am

“KH, your response to: “I am just wondering how long decent people are going to sit around and quietly take this” was: “Right up till the end.”

agreed…but that’s the rub…RECOGNIZING the end! We’re conditioned as humans to suffer great hardship BEFORE demanding or forcing a change. And as Americans our history has always been that “this too shall pass”.

The problem is that the rules HAVE changed, and we could very easily slip into a ‘1984-lite’ society…and then ‘1984’ itself.

ANY Republican in the White Hosue will give us a pause. Yes, even Romney. That “pause” is the only hope we have. If Obama is re-elected he will have NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE…and our wannabe ‘Caesar’ will see just how far into 1984 he go!

151. 2012 February 1 6:09 am

Attention California! Will the last one to exit the DMV please turn the lights out? Oh wait. The electric company is disconnecting them right now — http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2012/01/controller-state-to-run-out-of-cash-in-march-without-action.html

152. 2012 February 1 6:34 am

drdog, we’re not gonna run out of cash here in Kalifornia until sometime in MARCH?? Hey, that’s a personal best for us!!!

Really. We will have made it through 9 months of our fiscal year before we ran completely out!

No wonder Jerry Brown wants full speed ahead on the $100 billion “high-speed” rail!! OK, it’s now up to $105 BILLION…but just wait until they actually start the work!!!

153. 2012 February 1 6:40 am
    TLS permalink

Sadly, that is just a very poorly written article on the CA budget. What the author calls “in the red” is actually just below the “cash cushion” of $2.5 billion.

Absent these actions, the state would fall below its prudent $2.5 billion cash cushion on Feb. 29, Chiang estimated. On March 8, the state would actually end up $730 million in the red. The state would be below the safe cash cushion for several weeks ending April 13, save for several days at the end of March.

Keep in mind that Jerry Brown is proposing a tax hike on the June ballot, so this may be a tactic to gain support from the voters. But hey, we can always hope that it collapses that soon!! 🙂

154. 2012 February 1 6:44 am

153. mull

Perhaps the Mitt-bots (closet bots included) can blame Newt for that one

155. 2012 February 1 7:33 am

beej,

The GOP has a revolt on its hands and they don’t even know it. That why I believe that we will see the rise of a Third Party before the 2016 election.

156. 2012 February 1 7:42 am

drdog: “we will see the rise of a Third Party before the 2016 election.”

IF Romney WINS the election.

IF Obama wins…we will see the rise of “something else” before November 2016. And the November 2016 will be a “Soviet-style” election…with Obama getting 98.6% of the votes for his “historic” 3rd Term…which he will have granted himself under “Emergency Powers”.

And us? We’ll either be in Hut 1369…or hunkered down, “resisting” Caesar.

157. 2012 February 1 8:03 am

An interesting conclusion of the December 7th

attack on Pearl Harbor.

Tour boats ferry people out to the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii

every thirty minutes.

We just missed a ferry and had to wait thirty minutes.

I went into a small gift shop to kill time.

In the gift shop, I purchased a small book entitled, “Reflections on

Pearl Harbor” by Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Sunday, December 7th, 1941–Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a

concert in Washington D.C.

He was paged and told there was a phone call for him.

When he answered the phone, it was President Franklin Delano

Roosevelt.

He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be the

Commander of the Pacific Fleet.

Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the

Pacific Fleet.

He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941.

There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and

defeat–you would have thought the Japanese had already won the war.

On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of

the destruction wrought on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.

Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters

every where you looked.

As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the

boat asked, “Well Admiral, what do you think after seeing all this

destruction?”

Admiral Nimitz’s reply shocked everyone within the sound of

his voice.

Admiral Nimitz said, “The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make, or God was taking

care of America . Which do you think it was?”

Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, “What do

mean by saying the Japanese made the three biggest mistakes an

attack force ever made?”

Nimitz explained:

Mistake number one: the Japanese attacked on Sunday morning.

Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on

leave. If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk–we

would have lost 38,000 men instead of 3,800.

Mistake number two: when the Japanese saw all those

battleships lined in a row, they got so carried away sinking those

battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite

those ships. If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to

tow everyone of those ships to America to be repaired. As it is now, the

ships are in shallow water and can be raised. One tug can pull them

over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at

sea by the time we could have towed them to America . And I already

have crews ashore anxious to man those ships.

Mistake number three: Every drop of fuel in the Pacific

theater of war is on top of the ground in storage tanks five miles

away over that hill.

One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and

destroyed our fuel supply.

That’s why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest

mistakes an attack force could make, or God was taking care of America .

I’ve never forgotten what I read in that little book.

It is still an inspiration as I reflect upon it.

In jest, I might suggest that because Admiral Nimitz was a

Texan, born and raised in Fredricksburg , Texas — he was a born optimist.

But anyway you look at it–Admiral Nimitz was able to see a

silver lining in a situation and circumstance where everyone else saw only

despair and defeatism.

President Roosevelt had chosen the right man for the right job.

We desperately needed a leader that could see silver linings

in the midst of the clouds of dejection, despair and defeat.

There is a reason that our national motto is, “IN GOD WE TRUST.”

158. 2012 February 1 8:11 am

IP, the dry-docks and fuel were SUPPOSSED to be destroyed in the next wave…but the Japanese withdrew. Gingrich’s alternate histroy ‘Pearl Harbor’ series starts with the premise that the Japanese DID return…it is a fascinating series (I think there’s a 3rd book still coming).

Gingrich’s ‘Gettysburg’ alternate history is complete…and for those who haven’t read it, it is excellent!!!

159. 2012 February 1 12:09 pm

Great story, ip. Is it personal or did you read it somewhere?