The Best Thing That Could Happen to President Romney?

2012 January 13
tags:
by drdog09

CHICAGO (Reuters) – As Mitt Romney inches toward the Republican Party’s presidential nomination, many conservative activists are increasingly focused on a different political prize for 2012: the Senate.

Republicans, who currently have 47 of the 100 Senate seats, are seen as having a good shot of winning control of the upper chamber because they are defending far fewer seats in the November election.

Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, is the clear frontrunner for the party’s presidential nomination after victories in the Iowa and New Hampshire nominating contests this month. He can move a big step closer with a win in the January 19 South Carolina primary.

But some supporters of the Tea Party movement and other conservatives distrust Romney, deriding him as a moderate, and they hope to get a few of their candidates into the Senate to serve as a “bulwark” against him or President Barack Obama.

“Conservatives in Nebraska are very concerned about Romney and disappointed that he may be the nominee,” said John Arnold of the Lincoln Tea Party. “So the Senate has become much more important.”

Source

It would be very ironic to see a Republican moderate President blockaded by a Tea based coalition. Should the Republicans win the number to take back the Senate many of those will individuals will be Tea supported people. The Tea coalition is about to reach the magic number 14 to shut down the Senate at will.

1. 2012 January 13 7:00 am

Romney’s record as Governor in Mass. shows that he really IS keen at working with the “prevailing sentiment” of whatever Legislature he gets. In Mass. that led him to lean and go LEFT a lot. So given a Republican Congress…both Houses…with strong TEA Party backed candidates, he really might stick to the positions he is now espousing!

Saving Mitt from Mitt…I like it! 🙂

2. 2012 January 13 7:09 am
    Rockefeller Republican permalink

Very pleased that this ste finally concedes reality: President Romney! Coming to the White House near and dear to all of us!

He will herald a moderate conservative renaisaince – not seen since the days of President Ford…

Join us as happy warriors in this most important crusade! For those of you still ravaged by herpes of the mind with your ongoing deluisons of Palin, Gingrich, Santorum, etc., penicillin is available to remedy your malady.

Git w/ Mitt!… A moderate conservative tingle up your leg every time!

3. 2012 January 13 7:12 am

Tisk, tisk, RR. Can’t detect snark when he sees it.

4. 2012 January 13 7:14 am

It begins…
    CNBC just issued this…
    Correction: Romney’s Former Firm Bain Didn’t Advise Obama (on auto bailout)

Expect this drumbeat for the next 10 months!

FLAMING story regarding Romney that sweeps the Internet, swamps the newtorks, and is above the fold on the NYTimes, et al. Then, a couple days later…“Correction”…

Team Romney had better be prepared to fight EVERY ONE of these…immediately and aggressively.

5. 2012 January 13 7:15 am

hey Rockie…this actually WAS pretty funny…kudos!

thanks! 🙂

6. 2012 January 13 7:18 am

WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama will ask Congress on Friday for greater power to shrink the federal government, and his first idea is merging six sprawling trade and commerce agencies whose overlapping programs can be baffling to businesses, a senior administration official told The Associated Press.

Obama will call on Congress to give him a type of reorganizational power last held by a president when Ronald Reagan was in office. The Obama version would be a so-called consolidation authority allowing him to propose mergers that promise to save money and help consumers. The deal would entitle him to an up-or-down vote from Congress in 90 days.

7. 2012 January 13 7:18 am

What goes PC, comes PC — http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/287991/crime-leafleting-charles-c-w-cooke — Eventually PC had to feed on itself in parody.

8. 2012 January 13 7:20 am

7. Classic.

9. 2012 January 13 7:23 am
    JBoz permalink

If Romney somehow manages to become POTUS, I want a crack at that White House wine cellar – since he has no need for it. And, I kind of paid for it – well, part of it anyway.

10. 2012 January 13 7:30 am

Looks like possibly France and some others in euroland are getting downgraded later today.

11. 2012 January 13 7:32 am

Austria is one of the others apparently, too aa+

12. 2012 January 13 7:33 am

Interesting. And austrians, of all the Euro countries, are buying gold like crazy.

13. 2012 January 13 7:38 am

The 2011 BJG Bowl Champion is Republican Pundit

RP: 28-7
    Mullet: 26-9
    bc3b: 23-12
    JudyT2009: 21-14

The SEC coming through and Tennessee not playing = victory for RP.

14. 2012 January 13 7:40 am

I had amnesia once—or twice

Protons have mass? I didn’t even know they were Catholic.

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can’t make me happy

What is a “free” gift? Aren’t all gifts free?

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he’ll never be able to merge his car onto the freeway.

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.

One nice thing about egotists: they don’t talk about other people.

My weight is perfect for my height–which varies.

I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not sure.

Is it me –or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

15. 2012 January 13 7:41 am
    Rockefeller Republican permalink

#5: Good morrow Just… I’m pleased that you derived levity from my cogent commentary. Perhaps there is hope for you and others here… but only if you acknowldedge the essential tuths of moderate conservatism.

16. 2012 January 13 8:02 am

From the last thread:

Eph: “Bain/Romney advised Obama on GM bailout…Discuss…”

That takes ANOTHER argument against Obama OFF the table (ObamaCare will be as well). The goal of the Obamanistas will be to take EVERY argument away differentiates Obama from Mittens. They know that the incumbent wins nearly 100% of the time when the electorate sees little value in changing.

Hmmm….now lets think of the one thing, that no matter how hard they try, they cannot make similar. One thing that might separate them…what could that be????? Oh yeah. Race. What does this prove? RAAAAAAAAAAAAAACISM. The white guy does the same stuff and you like him? It was Obama’s race all along…..

….but they’d never think of that. Nope, never.

17. 2012 January 13 8:02 am

16. Reminds me of income tax statistics only reversed.

18. 2012 January 13 8:05 am

Out of curiosity…who are Mitt’s biggest campaign donors, and who are/were Obama’s?

19. 2012 January 13 8:05 am
    6thLetterIZkooky permalink

-Word on the street is that first dibs go to people who volunteer to walk their precinct for him!

20. 2012 January 13 8:11 am

21. 2012 January 13 8:13 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

I are the Champions, I are the Champians, da da de da da ”

😆

22. 2012 January 13 8:15 am

Hope they enjoy the new noose under the guise of preventing fraud (which it may indeed help with).

23. 2012 January 13 8:15 am

“Apple may have enough cash on hand to make Scrooge McDuck’s money vault look like a kiddie pool by comparison, but according to SeekingAlpha, most of that cash is effectively trapped overseas. US$54 billion of Apple’s overall $82 billion in cash is in offshore accounts, and Apple cannot repatriate that money to the States unless it wants to pay a huge 35 percent corporate tax on it.”

And so yet again our tax laws screw us over.

24. 2012 January 13 8:16 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Dr. to go along along with your #14.

Who was dead reckoning and how did he die?

How do you say parfet’ in French?

How long is a chinaman?

25. 2012 January 13 8:19 am

RP, good, very good 🙂

26. 2012 January 13 8:23 am
    6thLetterIZkooky permalink

-My POPS always said, “Smile and wave back to the people who you cut off, your mother’s got a lot of family around here.”

27. 2012 January 13 8:24 am

Almost funny, not that they wanted the housing sector to cool off a bit, that was rational, but that nobody foresaw the crisis coming as a result.

28. 2012 January 13 8:28 am

24. Lets be honest though, in the current climate why would they or most for that matter bring a large portion of that back here, to do what with it?

29. 2012 January 13 8:28 am
    LongBus permalink

JustMary, the answer to both is people with buttloads of money that people envy, hate, or otherwise despise.

30. 2012 January 13 8:28 am
    LongBus permalink

So since you guys only oppose candidates here and never actually support anyone, let me try my question another way…

Can you tell me who you guys are Not Not supporting in the GOP race?

If you cast the sole vote for the GOP primary who would it Not Not be for?

What general election opponent would you Not Not allow Obama to defeat by withholding you vote and reorganizing your sock drawer

31. 2012 January 13 8:29 am

SoHope would you stfu already. I’m asking nicely.

32. 2012 January 13 8:37 am
    LongBus permalink

the double agent is loose his cool

33. 2012 January 13 8:40 am

#30 Are they the same folks though? Or many of the same folks?

34. 2012 January 13 8:42 am
    Rockefeller Republican permalink

#17: Keep up… This story has been retracted this a.m.

I know it’s a heartbreaker for you: Romney and Obama are not the same.

Three cheers for us moderate conservatives!

35. 2012 January 13 8:44 am

LongBus: “Can you tell me who you guys are Not Not supporting in the GOP race?”

*sigh* …of those left standing:

I am OPPOSED to:
    – Huntsman
    – ronPaul

I am NOT SUPPORTING:
    – Romney

I’m willing to support the rest…but will vote for Not-Obama in the Fall. OK?

but Gingrich, whom I have been supporting, is REALLY starting to piss me off with his now hysterical and nonsensical attacks on Romney. Yes, he pissed…and has every right to be, since the attacks against HIM were just as hysterical and nonsensical!

36. 2012 January 13 8:48 am

#36 Corrections matter very little. The initial accusation is what sticks.

Newspaper: but we never said Romney was a rapist…what we said was “we can’t prove he is a rapist”. Expect lots of that for the next 10 months.

37. 2012 January 13 8:48 am

No the “double agent” (which apparently you a bitter haven’t read the definition of) is tired of having to read petty crap cluttering up both sites. But since you said “you guys” and you already know my position on things then why even ask then if your looking for one or two people to respond to you as if they speak for an entire site or readership. Just cut the crap, I don’t think you see just how childish the “hey I just posted xyz over at abc” comes off.

38. 2012 January 13 8:49 am
    LongBus permalink

thank you JR. I appreciate the answer. Being open about that opens the subject to real debate and conversation. Not just collective group bashing. I will assume most here hold mostly the same opinion and I will quit asking my question.

39. 2012 January 13 8:51 am

hattip TheBlaze (and Breitbart, of course)

Now the New Hampshire AG’s office says they are investigating…O’KEEFE!!! Because he “filmed people without their permission”.

Goodbye, sweet America!

40. 2012 January 13 8:52 am

Pay attention to meeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I need positive reinforcement!!!!! Mommy always said I was special. /bus

41. 2012 January 13 9:14 am

LongBus,

There are several on BJG that support Romney. There were Cain supporters till he dropped out. I don’t think anyone has admitted to be a Paul supporter here. The balance I would say are uncommitted.

42. 2012 January 13 12:03 pm

If Romney somehow manages to become POTUS, I want a crack at that White House wine cellar –JBOZ

I hopr your taste runs to ripple or boone’s farm.