The Price of Freedom
The game itself is pretty simple:
- Music plays as contestants walk around a ring of chairs equaling one LESS than the number of contestants
- When the music stops, the one contestant unable to find a chair is eliminated
- The contestants begin walking again as another chair is removed
- Repeat steps 1-3 until only one contestant remains…the winner!
And there’s really only ONE rule: you MUST keep walking until the music stops.
In order to avoid being one of the first ones eliminated…and maybe being able to actually win the game…you need to:
- Prepare by knowing where are you at any given time relative to where a “safe haven” is (an empty chair)
- Anticipate the stopping of the music, through observation, analysis (how long is the average length before it stops), or intuition
- Keep moving. If you stop too soon you may be eliminated for a rules infraction.
- Move aggressively to your nearest “safe haven” when the music stops!
On every front (Economic, Political, Military, and Societal) we face challenges of historic proportions. And while America has obviously faced great challenges before, we have rarely (if ever) faced so many at once. Further, the potential of a “Perfect Storm” looms, where several or all of these challenges happens at once….and the speed with which they could happen is far beyond anything we’ve ever experienced.
Consider WWII. Economically we were already starting to recover, partly because we were preparing for war (arming the British, ramping up the Draft, etc). Our society was STRONG, and although the political divisions were big, neither Party was hell bent on undermining the Constitution (ok…Roosevelt WANTED to). When the military crisis hit, it was thousands of miles away (Pearl Harbor), and because of the distance, and the lack of ability for Japan or Germany to directly attack us at that point, we had TIME to react.
Consider NOW. Economically we may (or may not) be starting to recover…but we are increasingly tied to other economies that are on the brink of collapse. We are in DEBT beyond anything imaginable…or sustainable! Our society is fractured…and the Democrat Party DEPENDS on those fractures!! The political divisions are VAST, and while one Party IS hell bent on undermining the Constitution; the other Party lacks the will to defend it! Our military is being put on the auction block by Obama, to the tune of $1 TRILLION…with dramatic cuts occurring in the critical next 3 years! Lastly, the pace is of change is now warp-speed, and our enemies DO have the ability to directly attack us at that same speed.
Is it too late? I don’t know. But consider the lessons of Musical Chairs in case it IS too late:
- Prepare a “safe haven”, and know where you are at any given time relative to it.
- Anticipate the “stopping of the music”, through observation, analysis, or intuition.
- Keep moving. If you “hunker down” too soon it will be costly in all ways…though not as costly as waiting too long.
- Move aggressively to your nearest “safe haven” when the music stops. And defend that safe haven!
Will the “music” stop soon? IMHO, if Barack Obama is re-elected then it will stop within 2 years. If a Republican President comes out of the election of 2012 then there is a chance it doesn’t stop at all…but at least, IMHO, it will happen slower.
The Captain of the Costa Concordia did not aim for the rocks…but his reckless operation of the ship resulted in many deaths anyway. Still, had he intentionally sought to scuttle the ship the disaster would have happened much faster, and many more people would have died. Barack Obama intends to scuttle the S.S. America…period! Even if we elect a Republican we may still hit the rocks…but it will happen slower, and you’ll have a better chance of surviving if your ‘Musical Chairs’ strategy is in place!
Preparing a safe haven and, if necessary, an exit strategy to get there doesn’t have to be expensive…but whatever the price, it may ultimately be the Price of Freedom…and survival.