The Price of Freedom

2012 January 20
by justrand

Does the game of Musical Chairs teach survival skills for the coming collapse?

The game itself is pretty simple:

1. Music plays as contestants walk around a ring of chairs equaling one LESS than the number of contestants
  2. When the music stops, the one contestant unable to find a chair is eliminated
  3. The contestants begin walking again as another chair is removed
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 until only one contestant remains…the winner!

And there’s really only ONE rule: you MUST keep walking until the music stops.

In order to avoid being one of the first ones eliminated…and maybe being able to actually win the game…you need to:

• Prepare by knowing where are you at any given time relative to where a “safe haven” is (an empty chair)
  • Anticipate the stopping of the music, through observation, analysis (how long is the average length before it stops), or intuition
  • Keep moving. If you stop too soon you may be eliminated for a rules infraction.
  • Move aggressively to your nearest “safe haven” when the music stops!

On every front (Economic, Political, Military, and Societal) we face challenges of historic proportions. And while America has obviously faced great challenges before, we have rarely (if ever) faced so many at once. Further, the potential of a “Perfect Storm” looms, where several or all of these challenges happens at once….and the speed with which they could happen is far beyond anything we’ve ever experienced.

Consider WWII. Economically we were already starting to recover, partly because we were preparing for war (arming the British, ramping up the Draft, etc). Our society was STRONG, and although the political divisions were big, neither Party was hell bent on undermining the Constitution (ok…Roosevelt WANTED to). When the military crisis hit, it was thousands of miles away (Pearl Harbor), and because of the distance, and the lack of ability for Japan or Germany to directly attack us at that point, we had TIME to react.

Consider NOW. Economically we may (or may not) be starting to recover…but we are increasingly tied to other economies that are on the brink of collapse. We are in DEBT beyond anything imaginable…or sustainable! Our society is fractured…and the Democrat Party DEPENDS on those fractures!! The political divisions are VAST, and while one Party IS hell bent on undermining the Constitution; the other Party lacks the will to defend it! Our military is being put on the auction block by Obama, to the tune of $1 TRILLION…with dramatic cuts occurring in the critical next 3 years! Lastly, the pace is of change is now warp-speed, and our enemies DO have the ability to directly attack us at that same speed.

Is it too late? I don’t know. But consider the lessons of Musical Chairs in case it IS too late:

• Prepare a “safe haven”, and know where you are at any given time relative to it.
  • Anticipate the “stopping of the music”, through observation, analysis, or intuition.
  • Keep moving. If you “hunker down” too soon it will be costly in all ways…though not as costly as waiting too long.
  • Move aggressively to your nearest “safe haven” when the music stops. And defend that safe haven!

Will the “music” stop soon? IMHO, if Barack Obama is re-elected then it will stop within 2 years. If a Republican President comes out of the election of 2012 then there is a chance it doesn’t stop at all…but at least, IMHO, it will happen slower.

The Captain of the Costa Concordia did not aim for the rocks…but his reckless operation of the ship resulted in many deaths anyway. Still, had he intentionally sought to scuttle the ship the disaster would have happened much faster, and many more people would have died. Barack Obama intends to scuttle the S.S. America…period! Even if we elect a Republican we may still hit the rocks…but it will happen slower, and you’ll have a better chance of surviving if your ‘Musical Chairs’ strategy is in place!

Preparing a safe haven and, if necessary, an exit strategy to get there doesn’t have to be expensive…but whatever the price, it may ultimately be the Price of Freedom…and survival.

© BeJohnGalt.com

1. 2012 January 20 10:19 am

I realize I put forth the ‘Musical Chairs’ metaphor inside a comment a short while ago…this is me expanding the thought some.

Poetic license, etc.! 🙂

2. 2012 January 20 10:19 am

oh, and I was absolutely…FRIST!

3. 2012 January 20 10:21 am

Eph…if “conservative leaders” want ANYTHING (even extra Mayo on their ham sandwiches) the LAST person they would tell is Joe Scarborough. Ok, maybe 2nd to last…before Michael Moore.

jus’ sayin’

4. 2012 January 20 10:22 am

way Frist!!

5. 2012 January 20 10:41 am

I have not seen the GOP convention rules for this year. But if it is like years past, the first hurdle to a brokered election is that the first floor vote is dictated by the committed delegate count of the then standing candidates. Should Romney have say 52% committment, brokered election is out. The GOP does not have Super Delegate rules like the Dims do.

6. 2012 January 20 10:44 am

* Acreage found? — check.
    * Escape route planned? — check
    * Ducks on order? — check.
    * More ammo?

Whoa, more ammo!

7. 2012 January 20 10:45 am

good list, drdog…don’t forget TP! 🙂

p.s. to JM, we’re counting on you to bring that!

8. 2012 January 20 11:01 am
    judyt2012 permalink

DRdog — Seeds, seeds, seeds and a book on harvesting seeds

Rolls of black & clear or white plastic.
    Shovel, rake, hoe, axe

Resource books on natural cures, extensive first aid,

9. 2012 January 20 11:13 am

10. 2012 January 20 11:15 am

judy: “I am thinking of planting raspberries/blackberries all around my acreage, about 3/4 feet deep”

but…but…an intruder might hurt themselves!! 🙂

11. 2012 January 20 11:21 am

Actually, Judy, that is a fantastic idea. I am going to be selling shelf stable (depending on the food 3-25 year shelf life) food in the coming months, it’ll be linked to the site. Have been feeling really called to do it, and the opportunity presented itself in a way that could have only been God. Aside from that, I need to work on a way to grow food where my dogs can’t get to it. I have a big backyard, but the part they cannot get to is the steep part, which means I have a hard time getting to it too. I need to either learn to terrace, or try aquaponics.

12. 2012 January 20 11:23 am

I take that back, they can get to it, if I let them. They’re not afraid of hills. 😆

13. 2012 January 20 11:24 am

What kind of climate do you need to raspberries and blackberries? Do they do well in snow? Heat? Are they picky?

14. 2012 January 20 11:25 am

Eph –

Real conservatives no longer have conversations with Joe Scarborough,

15. 2012 January 20 11:27 am

JR –

During WWII we put the good of the United States first. Today we put the goals of others first. Rather than fighting for one of the remaining chairs, we are pleased to give it to a Muslim or third world country.

16. 2012 January 20 11:29 am
    Rockefeller Republican permalink

Hey Just & Mary, when does the moderation end???? LOL

17. 2012 January 20 11:31 am

Ammo. Yes.

Don’t forget claymores and concertina wire.

18. 2012 January 20 11:32 am

“but…but…an intruder might hurt themselves!! ”

Right you are JR. My parents had raspberry bushes. While the raspberries are delicious, some illegal might happen onto Judy’s property, prick himself on a thorn, dial 1-800-CALL-SAM and suddenly the illegal and sleaze bucket lawyer Sam Bernstein own Judy’s property.

19. 2012 January 20 11:39 am

Judy,

When I was in Florida, we had a 2′ deep blackberry hedge ran the length of the property. Very effective. As it got older though some gaps would develop are dirt level as the plant grew upward. 2′ of rebar took care of that.

JM,

Rasberries require a dormant period. Never could grow them to fruit in Florida. You could try some strains of rabbiteye blueberries tho.

20. 2012 January 20 12:11 pm

JM~~ I need to either learn to terrace, or try aquaponics.

~~~~~You might try eating the dogs.

Speaking of acreage, I am thinking of planting raspberries/blackberries all around my acreage, about 3/4 feet deep ~~Judy

All that will do is attract the black bears. (but those can be eatin as well)

21. 2012 January 20 12:17 pm

After his retirement he was cruising the Mediterranean on an Italian cruise liner and some Italian journalists asked why an ex British Prime Minister should choose an Italian ship.

“There are three things I like about being on an Italian cruise ship” – said Churchill.

“First their cuisine is unsurpassed. Second their service is superb. And then, in case of an emergency, there is none of this nonsense about women and children first.”

Winston Churchill.

22. 2012 January 20 12:19 pm

#20 The little one is all muscle- she’s built like a tank, and is probably gamey, but the big one has some fat on him. 😆 Still though, the big one scares the crap out of anyone who comes to the house, so he is good to have around. I am actually wanting another big dog like him. Fraid we’ll have to settle for other food sources, or whatever they kill. 😉

23. 2012 January 20 12:27 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

“but the part they cannot get to is the steep part” Terrace the steep part and build raised beds. A raised bed 4″ x 48″ X 2″ high contains about 13 yards of soil.

Is it steep up or steep down?

Railroad timbers or concrete blocks to build the terrace walls. If you make the first wall 3 or 4 feet high you can add a gate to keep the dogs out.

Thankfully I have plenty of flat or easy slope. This summer is the test because next summer growing veggies might be the new career.

24. 2012 January 20 12:30 pm

judy: “Is it steep up or steep down? “

Kinda depends on which direction you’re goin’ 🙂

25. 2012 January 20 12:30 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

#19– as painful as it sounds you need to cut out the two year old canes so new canes will grow and bear fruit.

If you just want the barrier and not the fruit then just thin out 1/4 or 1/2 of the 2 year old canes to encourage new growth.

26. 2012 January 20 12:33 pm

Consider a minnie greenhouse.

27. 2012 January 20 12:39 pm

JR –

Joe Montana has dropped the price of his vacation home from $49-million to only $35 million in case you are interested.

28. 2012 January 20 12:42 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

JR no it does. If it is steep up then building the initial wall 3/4 feet high at the start of the slope and then level the land for the next six feet(?) and build your second wall.

If it is slop down then you go down the slope six feet to build your first wall and you don’t have the initial wall to keep the dogs out.

Slope up and you start building on flat land, slope down and you have to go down the slope before you can terrace out the first level.

29. 2012 January 20 12:42 pm

#23 Steep down, and we have about 8k sqft of it.

30. 2012 January 20 12:50 pm

I can keep the dogs out, because the regular and sloped parts of our backyard are separated by a fence. It’s just my being able to get back there and not hurt myself that is the concern. Tis a long way to fall.

31. 2012 January 20 12:53 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

8K sqft of slope could hold about 4K of raised beds terraced into the slope. Making raised beds out of terraced land requires less organic material to augment the soil.
    I would start with one level at a time. Instead of trying to convert all of it at once. Or hire a truck load of illegals and one guy with a bobcat and do it all at once.

32. 2012 January 20 12:56 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Build wooden steps between the terraced levels.

Are we talking 45 degrees slope of 75 degrees slope? It is a lot easier to terrace going up hill that going down. Can you start at the bottom of the slope and work up hill?

33. 2012 January 20 12:58 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

I have a back pasture that I would like to terrace about 1/4 to 1/2 acre. But until I do I can always put a couple of cows back there and have steaks and burgers

34. 2012 January 20 1:00 pm

If possible, make the terracing a little wider and include an inclined foot path so you have a switchback patten to take a long walk up and down the hill. Easier to climb that way.

35. 2012 January 20 1:03 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Drdog. The beds are 3 feet wide and the path along each is 3 feet wide.

but that is on a 45 degree slope a steeper slope would require more path to the 3 foot bed.

36. 2012 January 20 1:03 pm

#33 I’d love to have a goat. Yes, really. 😆

I’d have to take a picture of the hill and show you. The bottom is flat, and on one side at the top, there is a small flat space. Hubs just said it is probably 35-40 degrees. My son and his friends can run up and down that hill quite easily, but it is hard for me because I need to always watch my footing with my back.

37. 2012 January 20 1:05 pm

Well, they can’t run up it as easily, but you know what I mean.

38. 2012 January 20 1:06 pm

Judy’s new garden

39. 2012 January 20 1:14 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

IP — any black bears near my place would be taken out by one of the guys grazing cattle.

The green house is too small to grow anything but a few of snacks.

40. 2012 January 20 1:15 pm

http://poppytalk.blogspot.com/2011/06/handmade-gardens.html I am going to do pic #4 with a shoe organizer. I put fresh herbs in everything, and buying them gets expensive!!!! My dogs killed alllllll of my herbs, and I had a ton. They are working on killing the orange tree this week. I think the fig tree may be the smartest, because it is pretending to be dead right now.

41. 2012 January 20 1:15 pm

JM’s concept for her garden (goats would be extra)

42. 2012 January 20 1:16 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Unless you have a lot of existing vegetation to get rid of forget the goats.

But then I am bias against goats because of the idiot who I let run some on my property.

43. 2012 January 20 1:21 pm

#41,

You sure you don’t want to have a barbie of fillet of dog??

44. 2012 January 20 1:22 pm

Yeah no goats.

45. 2012 January 20 1:28 pm

I never said a goat was practical, just that I wanted one. 😆

46. 2012 January 20 1:29 pm

It could eat the neighbor’s ugly grass.

47. 2012 January 20 1:59 pm
    Deckard permalink

JM #47 – or train it to be in a future Aflac or Capital One Credit Card commercial.

48. 2012 January 20 2:08 pm

Sometimes there are errors, other times there is just stupid — http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/01/hell-hath-no-fury-like-a-blogger-scorned/

49. 2012 January 20 2:16 pm
    JBoz permalink

You people who say Obama is a job killer are cynical, partisan, and just plain WRONG!

Because of Obama’s superb leadership, 2 union guys have great glass-breaking jobs, and 6 other union guys get to stand around in hardhats and holding clipboards supervising the glass breaker guys. Had Obama not spent half a billion, 8 guys would be unemployed.

50. 2012 January 20 2:20 pm

Things looking up for CA — http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204555904577164944279702590.html — IL is now the state with the lowest bond rating.

51. 2012 January 20 2:24 pm

RockyRepublican on death watch!! — http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/4378 — So much for unmatched electability….

52. 2012 January 20 2:57 pm

folks, you gotta go watch this video…and it is REAL!

and check out the comments on the site too

53. 2012 January 20 3:02 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

JM. Goats?!!!!!.

The middle east was at one time green and full of trees. What happened? goats

54. 2012 January 20 3:11 pm
    JBoz permalink

#54 – the number of attractive eco-chicks is approximately equal to the number of jobs created by Obama.

55. 2012 January 20 3:12 pm

p.s. if you watch the video in #54, be sure to stick around until the one gal says: “Look at that rock, there’s so much life in there!

my comment on another site was:
    The trees around that clearing must have been SOOOOO annoyed!!
    I kept hoping one of the trees would “take one for the team” and fall over her! Now THAT would have been a tree worth saving!!
    🙂
    enjoy!

56. 2012 January 20 3:13 pm

JBoz…exactly! Be glad you can’t smell ’em!!

57. 2012 January 20 3:14 pm

Gary Carter was one hell of a catcher and a great guy.

58. 2012 January 20 3:19 pm

53. Let go Mets!
    Sad news, I hope he survives he was a good player and good dude as bc3b said.

59. 2012 January 20 3:30 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Goats eat trees, the enviroterrorists hug trees. Maybe that is why they all smell like goats!!!

😆

60. 2012 January 20 3:30 pm

61. 2012 January 20 3:32 pm

RP, maybe JM could have a herd envirohippies live on her hillside and eat (and smoke) the grass??? Plus, when the Zombie-Apocolypse happens she could have her hubs throw ’em on the BBQ!!

Win-win!

62. 2012 January 20 3:43 pm
    TLS permalink

#61 Goats eat anything, except environmentalist. hummmmmmm…………..

63. 2012 January 20 3:50 pm

America wants a fighter! Whether Newt is the best one to do the fighting, probably. Best one to do the governing, hmmmm, don’t know.

64. 2012 January 20 4:10 pm

#63 They’d be gamier than my Boston, I’m afraid.

65. 2012 January 20 4:11 pm

#62 That’s it then.

66. 2012 January 20 4:22 pm
    Deckard permalink

If true, then FNC will be losing viewership from its conservative core. I don’t watch as much as I used to because of its centrist drift – but giving this one airtime? Alan Colmes is bad enough . . . .

How much more “fair and balanced” do they want to be?

67. 2012 January 20 4:24 pm

62. Chuck backed Huck last time as I recall… just saying.

68. 2012 January 20 4:28 pm

If FNC persists in this crapola, they will go the way of newsweak. MPBUT

69. 2012 January 20 4:47 pm

KH: “Chuck backed Huck last time as I recall… just saying”

Exactly! And President Huckabee has done a splendid job, IMHO.

oh…wait…

70. 2012 January 20 4:51 pm

You better hope Chuck doesn’t read your comments!

71. 2012 January 20 5:00 pm

Especially as he works/lives in my area. I can hear the screams of the dying and lamentations of the women from here…..

72. 2012 January 20 5:05 pm
    Deckard permalink

America Wants Conservatives to Stand Up to Liberal Bullying
    By David Limbaugh | January 20, 2012 |

I wish Republican politicians would have faith in the largely conservative electorate and not behave as though they’ll make themselves unelectable unless they pander to Generic Moderate. Who is that guy, anyway? Have you ever met him?

Recently, we’ve seen a few examples of the liberal narrative’s rearing its oppressive head and starkly different reactions to it. The first was Mitt Romney’s reportedly telling The Wall Street Journal that as a wealthy person, he thinks he lacks the credibility to aggressively push tax cuts. Mitt is also looking timid about releasing his tax returns. He needs to fight back — consistently — instead of surrendering to the liberal narrative that success is evil. Mitt should take a lesson from Newt Gingrich on counterpunching against false liberal charges and innuendo.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/david-limbaugh/2012/01/20/americans-wants-conservatives-stand-liberal-bullying#ixzz1k3BUlNjY

73. 2012 January 20 5:19 pm

74. I thought for the first time really last night he (Romney) did push back relating to that topic.

74. 2012 January 20 5:32 pm

RIP, Etta James.

75. 2012 January 20 5:33 pm

Chuck Norris doesn’t do pushups.

Chuck pushes the earth down.

76. 2012 January 20 5:40 pm

FNC’s goal is to cater to a viewership that appeals to everyone to the right of CNN (roughly 60% of all viewers) and is throwing conservatives under the bus. Basically, the channel is following the tried and true RINO playbook – move as far to the left as possible without totally alienating conservatives.

Rush was talking about media liberals today, people so dedicated to liberalism they will jepeardize ratings, their careers and even their papers/networks for the cause.

Murdoch and Ailes are the exact opposite – they will do anything to maximize their ratings and profitability. As long as conservatives continue to tune in every night like sheep, they will keep on winning.

77. 2012 January 20 6:05 pm

It took me a while to find this, but if you remember the November 1994 elections, this is a blast from the past. We were living in NH at the time, and we howled with laughter at the interview of a liberal refugee from a bunker below a Cambridge MA coffee house!

(Not to insult anyone’s intelligence, but in case you don’t know, Cambridge is the home of Harvard. Living within commuter’s distance to Boston, with my husband alternately subscribing and then cancelling our subscription to the Boston Globe when he got too disgusted with it, increased our appreciation of the above).

78. 2012 January 20 6:15 pm

#79 That is hysterical!!!! Only now it would be PRIUS!!!! 😆

79. 2012 January 20 6:17 pm

INC,

With some judicious editing of word choices that could be republished as a OWS poster.

80. 2012 January 20 6:24 pm

JM, true.

Dr.D. 🙂

That’s one reason it was so funny–it wasn’t an exaggeration!!!

81. 2012 January 20 6:25 pm

The shock waves that election sent through the Dems was incredible.

Santorum came into the Senate and Newt became Speaker.

Mitt tried to out-liberal Ted Kennedy.

82. 2012 January 20 6:48 pm

exactly, INC!

as KH notes in comment #75, Romney DID push back some last night…just not enough.

Mitt, if you’re reading…here’s EXACTLY what you should say about your taxes…ready???

My detailed returns are private. Period. But here is the summary: I paid XX MILLION dollars in taxes…the equivalent of XX THOUSAND other taxpayers! AND, gave XX MILLION to charities…which directly support XX thousand families through an entire year in these tough times…tough times that Barack Obama is making WORSE!!

Jujitsu, Mitt…learn it or LEAVE!

83. 2012 January 20 7:23 pm

In addition to what I said last night about people cheering Newt on because they’ve seen the media as a proxy for Obama, it’s been to Newt’s benefit that the GOP establishment tried a little too hard to make Mitt a slam-dunk.

After the great election of 1994, it was a huge letdown for the establishment to prop up Bob Dole. If you remember it, weren’t you disappointed? I never anticipated that he would beat Clinton. Mitt is an echo of 1994 and 1996.

84. 2012 January 20 8:31 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

85. 2012 January 20 8:40 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” – Frederic Bastiat

86. 2012 January 20 8:43 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“Why? One reason is that many Europeans have long been in thrall to the over-population gospel. Long before Paul Erhlich’s The Population Bomb (1968) — whose doomsday future-scenarios of a world devastated by famines, mass disease, and social unrest unleashed by overpopulation never materialized — numerous European economists had bought into this thesis.”

87. 2012 January 21 2:00 am

INC is spot on…

I was disappointed. I worked to get Dole elected (ha, ha)… talk about a demoralized campaign. No one else was given even a chance as Dole was pushed (rammed) down our throats that he was our candidate.

Bush 43 was also pushed down our throats…. the compassionate conservative. We then had to fight on amnesty. We are also stuck trying to justify(?) criticize(?) the additional $4 trillion in debt. It does not matter to liberals that Obama is accummulating debt 3x 4x faster… everything in a liberal’s mind is relative. Bush and Obama both get the ribbon or trophy … they were both on the playing on the same field or participated in the game, it doesn’t matter if their performances are lightyears apart.

So yes, we have not liked having Mitt, a Massachusetts liberal, chosen for us.

88. 2012 January 21 5:50 am

The peasants are revolting. 2010 gave them a taste and they’re more vocal than they ever were in 1996. — INC

I kinda prefer, management (us) just looked at the last quarterly report and are preparing to sack someone (kick Mitt).

89. 2012 January 21 5:55 am

judy: “So yes, we have not liked having Mitt, a Massachusetts liberal, chosen for us.”

That’s because you haven’t been assimilated yet….you’ll feel differently after the “procedure”. 👿