“Rules” versus “Guidelines”

2012 February 16
by justrand

The difference between a “Rule” and a “Guideline” is important…and increasingly blurred.

Rule”, as a noun, is defined as:

an authoritative regulation for action, conduct, method, procedure, arrangement, etc.

i.e., something you MUST or MUST NOT do…and there are consequences if you do not comply.

Guideline”, on the other hand, is defined as:

an official recommendation indicating how something should be done or what sort of action should be taken in a particular circumstance

i.e., something you SHOULD or SHOULD NOT  do, but there are no official “consequences” if you ignore the guideline.

This matters, because increasingly the Left is interchanging the two words…and the consequences for all of us are startling.  The recent example of the Kindergartener whose lunch was confiscated is a small but telling example.  There is an FDA “Guideline” for School Lunches.  But a Lunch Nazi at a North Carolina school decided it was a RULE…and enforced it as such.

I watched last night as the head of a “Progressive” think-tank (oxymoron) kept arguing over & over & over that “Americans WANT guidelines”…and then in the next sentence he would switch the word “guidelines” for “rules” and conclude: “So we have to be able to enforce these RULES”. WTF??

Yes, most Americans like “guidelines”.  The directions on the back of a Brownie Mix box are GUIDELINES.  If you want to over or under bake your brownies…or add chocolate chips when the mix doesn’t call for them…you CAN.  For now, at least…until the “Brownie Police” start enforcing the RULES on proper Brownie baking.

1. 2012 February 16 9:04 am

Imagine, contrary to Barack Obama’s claims, his goal throughout the past 3+ years has been to win reelection. Imagine how bad four years will be with Obama as a lame duck.

2. 2012 February 16 9:07 am

3. 2012 February 16 9:44 am

I am a rule follower, just built that way. I like rules, because I like to know that I am on the right side of them. HOWEVER, I am watching as seemingly everything is getting a rule attached to it, and that I don’t like. I probably break a law or two on a daily basis, just because I don’t know the law exists. The democrats want it that way, especially CA ones, since the state needs to make money somehow! Guidelines are nice, but I worry about enforced guidelines, because that leaves it up to the interpretation of the person enforcing them, where the rule is not hard and fast, but can be used against you on a whim- or based on your political affiliations.

4. 2012 February 16 10:14 am
    judyt2012 permalink

EPH — I sure hope no one at HHR reads that or watches the attached video without first removing all the razor blades, drugs, firearms, and ropes.

Dontcha know their panties are so bunched up that it will take a surgeon to remove.

5. 2012 February 16 10:17 am

JM, exactly my point…when “Guidelines” are “enforced, they are no longer “Guidelines”…they are RULES.

Suppose the Government tomorrow issued a “Guideline” that the maximum amount of ICE CREAM any individual should consume in one month is 1 quart. You go to your local market where you have a “Super Saver” card that gets yo discounts and try to buy TWO gallons of ice cream. The computer knows you have 4 people living in your house, and two gallons would EXCEED your allowable ice cream consumption.

If the store refuses to sell you the second gallon of ice cream, they just turned a “Guideline” into a “Rule”. They might do so if the government tells them THEY will be punished if they exceed any shopper’s limit.

Your solution might be to go to a store where you are not known and pay cash for the second gallon! Thereby making you a CRIMINAL for breaking a government “Rule”.

Silly…right? But when EVERY aspect of what you consume or do is governed by a “Rule”, it will be too fatiguing to go around them all…so after a while people just learn to comply.

Trust me folks…this guy on TV last argued for EXACTLY that kind of world:
    Everything NOT forbidden is MANDATORY…and everything NOT mandatory is FORBIDDEN!

6. 2012 February 16 10:20 am

Reuters headline:
    Al Gore takes aim at “unsustainable” capitalism

This clown was almost President!

7. 2012 February 16 10:52 am

The clown we have now is putting that sentiment into effect.

8. 2012 February 16 10:53 am

GALLUP: Santorum now leads Romneycare: 32/31

9. 2012 February 16 10:54 am

GALLUP: 43/48

What say you CNN??????????????

10. 2012 February 16 10:55 am

Inspectors expect “serious criminality” at News Corp.

I hope Rupert doesn’t expect any sympathy from me.

11. 2012 February 16 11:13 am

I can’t believe that the RINOs are so hateful of religion that they are ging to vote for this guy.

12. 2012 February 16 12:13 pm

MUSLIM STRIP CLUB

13. 2012 February 16 12:51 pm
    brucefdb permalink

As some of us were speculating about the other day, it seems the Kos kids might help us get the right guy! That would be cool.

14. 2012 February 16 12:54 pm

15. That’s awesome. Beating Romney gives us 50% of the victory we need for November.

And if we dont get the other 50% then at least we help destroy the GOP establishment RINOs.

15. 2012 February 16 2:22 pm

#14 Ann Coulter vehemently supports this choice in 5…4…3…2…

I think it was WRONG. Stupid and wrong.

16. 2012 February 16 2:29 pm

Jude 7 (ESV)
    just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Why this country is next.~~~(and justifiably so)

17. 2012 February 16 2:46 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Yes, ip (19), you get what you vote for, huh?

Obama is ahead 2-1 in California. It really is hard to keep from laughing, seriously. And there are a whole lot more tax increases on the ballot coming up for the Gilded State. Woo….hooo!

18. 2012 February 16 2:59 pm

The chicoms would be doing us a favor by wiping that state off the map, (after the justrands leave of course). Move the new seashore back to the edge of the sierra’s. If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out.
    The hemorrhoid of kalifornicate offends me.

19. 2012 February 16 3:00 pm

“I think it was WRONG. Stupid and wrong.”

Especially since Frank Sinatra got no love back when Whitman was guv

20. 2012 February 16 3:09 pm

21. 2012 February 16 3:27 pm
    brucefdb permalink

My idea 21, is to sell LA County and San Francisco to the chicoms. Ought to put a dent in the debt and get rid of a ton of liberals at the same time.

22. 2012 February 16 3:29 pm

#22 He was a good man, and very kind to my family.

23. 2012 February 16 3:29 pm

#24 Noooooooo not until we move!

24. 2012 February 16 3:48 pm

In 1992 I attended the Chrysler Dealer New Vehicle Showing in Las Vegas. Lee Iacocca had announced his retirement so they had a gala at the Thomas & Mack arena where UNLV plays. They had a lot of entertainers that Iacocca enjoyed perform – among them the Maguire Sisters, Rich Little and, of course, Frank Sinatra. They had a private cocktail reception for Iacocca and the entertainers before the gala.

Sinatra was so blitzed that he forgot some of the words to “My Way.” The stage was elevated about 8-10 feet and in front of the stage was the orchestra (housed in a huge pentastar – Chrysler’s symbol – with openings between the points of the star covered by a black netting). Sinatra almost fell off the stage and through the netting into the orchestra, Man, was he smashed.

25. 2012 February 16 3:54 pm

Some Things Never Change – Liberal Catholic Democrats Promoting Abortion:

Born December 12, 1915, in Hoboken, New Jersey,[7] Sinatra was the only child of Italian immigrants Natalie Della Garaventa and Antonino Martino Sinatra[8] and was raised Roman Catholic.[9] He left high school without graduating,[10]:38 having attended only 47 days before being expelled because of his rowdy conduct. Sinatra’s father, often referred to as Marty, served with the Hoboken Fire Department as a Captain. His mother, known as Dolly, was influential in the neighborhood and in local Democratic Party circles, but also ran an illegal abortion business from her home; she was arrested several times and convicted twice for this offense.[10]:16

Hat tip: Wikipedia

26. 2012 February 16 4:09 pm

#27 HA!!!! 🙂

27. 2012 February 16 4:10 pm

#28 That I did not know, but I am sure my family treated that as a “need to know” thing with me.

28. 2012 February 16 5:15 pm

Oh fer pete’s sake…because all Fords are made in the USA, right?

29. 2012 February 16 5:33 pm

Here’s a listing of current and former Ford manufacturing facilities:

30. 2012 February 16 5:43 pm

31. 2012 February 16 6:12 pm
    Deckard permalink

ip #21 –

I echo JM . . . let me get the h@!! out of Dodge first . . . let the Latinos and the Chinese fight over it – the two largest ethnic groups outside of Caucasians in the county area, from what I can tell . . . .

S.F. has an even larger Chinese population . . . .

32. 2012 February 16 6:17 pm

#13,

Got my goat…… (I hear the crowd groan)

I’ll shuffle off to my corner and contemplate my insanity….

33. 2012 February 16 6:48 pm

Gary Carter, 57, rest in peace.

You will be missed

34. 2012 February 16 7:02 pm

WTF! Come and get me. Time for more open use of our first amendment rights of free speech. This administration has been wageing war on our liberties since day one. This Lenin loving, ,anti second amendment, anti christian ,muslim loving racist B…..d can take all of his leftist pukes and stuff ’em where the light of day will never shine. If these statements make me an enemy of the state then so be it. I declare myself a FREE American! Down with this tratior and his illegal administration! Time to take back our country. I have but 1*, but there are a lot of us! I repeat; come and get me! RED

This is a comment in response to the following Hillicon Valley blog post about the Homeland Security Dept monitoring bloggers and social media websites. People are getting pretty fed up with the government intrusions, it would seem.

Read more, especially the comments

35. 2012 February 16 7:16 pm

S.F. has an even larger Chinese population . . . .

Good, at least there will be someone there to interpret for us when the chicoms land. We will need directions to the nearest gulag.

36. 2012 February 16 8:27 pm

JR – in the other thread you asked how long?

I have seen articles from any where from 24 to 72 hours. Glen Beck has said in the past said 24 to 72 hours with it getting worse (from 24 hours on).

I follow a few preppers on youtube that have good information. One guy locally (Central Ohio) posted the following of a past incident involving just a power outage and what happened. The guy works in a store and has some excellent insight in how the stores work, what they have on hand, how long it lasts, etc.

Long but good information.

As the man says, if you don’t have it NOW (prior to any incident), you aint getting it.

I would encourage all of you to make plans ASAP (still working on mine). In the mean time buy extra food stuffs and other items (bleach, cleaners, soap, etc) that you use. Eat what you stock and stock what you eat!

37. 2012 February 16 8:53 pm

#40 Thanks- I am going to save that video to put in the new tab here on the site. I agree with using what you store and storing what you eat- my family is doing that right now. Just think of staples. What do you NEED every month. Start there. Start tracking your purchases. Start writing down your daily routine. What do you use every day? Assume other folks use that stuff too. Set aside a portion of your budget to stock up on those things every month. Hubs and I are learning to cook with freeze dried foods, it is a bit of a learning curve, but I would rather learn now than when it counts. Learn how to defend what you have though. You can stay away from the stores, but what happens when vultures start descending on neighborhoods?

38. 2012 February 16 9:14 pm

Let me tell ya. I lived thru the Cuban Missile Crisis as a kid in Tampa. My mom and I went to the local Publix about 6 hours after the whole thing hit the radio networks. By then the only thing left on the shelves was things like wax, bug sprays all the inedible dry goods. Bread, meat, butter, veggies, charcoal, canned goods were all gone. It was eerie walking down a food store and all the shelves were bare.

If you don’t have it now, you won’t when the SHTF. Even if you could find a stocked store, the place will be in full riot mode.

39. 2012 February 17 4:56 am

~~~~JM

Great opportunity for recreational plinking.

40. 2012 February 17 5:32 am

Obummer the munificent he thinks he da man,
    But a Manchurian marxist mole is what he am,
    Remaking the world in his image,
    He and his minions will start from scrimmage,
    Tearing down the old to build the new,
    They don’t give a crap about me or you,
    For half a century they bid their time,
    Now they feel that their time is prime,
    The national tipping point has been reached,
    The walls of our resistance have been breached,
    The non producers have carried the field,
    Now is the time for their plans to be revealed,
    They have us by the short hairs, or so they feel,
    They plan to squeeze our balls until we squeal,
    We may be at the mercy of these marxist pricks,
    And they will attempt to send us across the river Styx,
    But sometimes the plans of mice and men,do go astray,
    And the sleeping giant may be awakened,much to their dismay,
    Though the mills of God grind slowly,yet they grind exceeding small,
    Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness grinds He all

41. 2012 February 17 5:53 am

The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.” – Thomas Jefferson

42. 2012 February 17 6:58 am