Is the West Catching on? Is It too Late? Can We Learn?

2012 April 23

A funny thing happened in yesterday’s French elections. As expected, Francois Hollande received the largest share of the vote (nearly 29% – not quite as large a percentage as expected) and Nicolas Sarkozy finished second with just over 27%. The unexpected thing was that Marine Le Pen, leader of the National Front Party, did amazingly well scoring 18% of the vote.

There will be a run-off between Hollande and Sarkozy but there is already evidence that Marine Le Pen and the National Front will have an effect on the election, probably driving Sarkozy to the right. Sarkozy has already said that he will listen to the right.

President Nicolas Sarkozy on Monday reached out to the 18 per cent of voters who backed far-right candidate Marine Le Pen as German chancellor Angela Merkel calls results ‘alarming’.

“We must respect the voters’ will, it is our duty to listen,” Sarkozy told journalists. “There was this crisis vote that doubled from one election to another, an answer must be given to this crisis vote.”

Le Pen’s score Sunday was nearly double the 10.4 percent her father Jean-Marie took as the National Front (FN) candidate in the 2007 first round.

Sarkozy also went on the offensive with a challenge to Hollande, who won the first round with 28.63 percent to 27.08 percent for Sarkozy, not to refuse his proposal for three televised debates before the May 6 second round.

(snip)

At her press conference on Sunday night. Le Pen burst into a rendition of La Marseillaise in front of delirious supporters waving the national flag.

“Whatever happens over the next two weeks, the battle for France has only just begun,” she said.

“We have exploded the monopoly of the two [main] parties of banks, finance, of multinationals, of resignation and abandonment, and carried higher than ever before the hopes of national ideas.

“Faced with an incumbent president at the head of a considerably weakened party, we are the only opposition to the ultra-liberal, lax and libertarian Left.”

Although it failed to take her into the second round, Miss Le Pen’s success will boost her influence on the French political scene, and is likely to hand her party seats in parliament later in the year. It could affect relations with minorities in France and in other European countries after a campaign based on rhetoric against immigrants, Islam and the European Union.

While most American conservatives would not agree with Mdme. Le Pen’s fiscal policies, there are many similarities between the National Front and the Tea Party. Members of the National Front are battling major political parties, which represent the status quo, the elites and political correctness. Like members of the Tea Party, Mdme. Le Pen’s followers love their country and put the good of France above all else. They are concerned about losing their national identity through the unregulated flow of immigrants.

Like the Tea Party and Sarah Palin, the National Front and Marine Le Pen are not intimidated by the politically correct. Like Palin and the Tea Party, the National Front is constantly attacted by the national and international media as far-right, extremist and racist. Just as Sarah Palin was the only one willing to talk about “death panles,” Marine Le Pen has the courage to say what no one else will on problems facing France, parfticularly Islam.

The National Front is in a stronger position than the Tea Party because it is working within a parliamentary structure rather than our two-party system. Hopefully, Marine Le Pen’s success will encourage right of center parties in other countries like Great Britain, where the major parties are no more representative of the ordinary people than the Democrats and Republicans and political correctness and multi-national interests trump the common people and the country’s interest.

Just as the National Front is forcing Sarkozy to the right, U.S. conservatives must work to force Mitt Romney and the GOP leadership to the right. It won’t be easy.

Read more:

Image Detail

Two women on a mission to save the countries that they love.

1. 2012 April 23 9:09 am

Is it too late??

But the Fat Lady is definately warming up in the wings. Obama KNOWS that this chance may not come again…and that IF he is defeated America may wake up from its media-induced coma!

We are the 800 lb. gorilla in the corner…if we wake up it is, IMHO, not too late. If Obama gets 4 more years we are done for. His Executive Power will finally and completely “Fundamentally transform the United States of America!”

Too late? Almost

2. 2012 April 23 9:13 am

I know many of you don’t take that great an interest in French politics, but the result of this particular election is important.

Like in the U.S., the major parties couldn’t care less about the “great unwashed masses” or the future of the country. They are interested in power and taking care of special interests that range from the banking community to ethnic special interest groups like CAIR and LaRaza. Leaders are influenced by eletists and the “enlightened left” (the media, Beltway insiders (and their Paris or London equivalent).

The elite talks endlessly about “how wonderful multiculturalism is” as hospitals are closed, public school systems become totally non-functional, our government at various levels spends hundreds of billions annually on those who are here illegally and the nation’s culture is destroyed.

If Western Civiliaztion is to be saved, it will be through the efforts of people like Marine Le Pen, not the David Camerons, Angela Merkels or Mitt Romneys. Let’s hope the spark the National Front generated with spread to Britain, Germany, Spain and eventually to Canada and the United States.

The advantage that Marine Le Pen has is that she is operating under a parliamentary system of government. If we had a parliamentary system in the U.S., Sarah Palin and other conservatives could form an effective third party with which the GOP would be forced to come to terms with. Under our two-party system a third party means four more years of Barack Obama, which would surely destroy our nation.

3. 2012 April 23 9:28 am

At first I had a hard time dealing with Sarah Palin not seeking the presidency in 2012. But, in looking at the majority of the unsuccessful candidates (Bachmann, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, etc.) the primary campaign literally destroyed them and their careers. Approval ratings for Perry and Bachmann declined dramatically, it took a toll on Cain’s marriage and pretty much destroyed Newt’s business empire. Hindsight is always 20/20 and in hindsight, she may have made a very wise move.

Here’s a article on what the GOP primaries cost Newt Gingrich (personally and professionally):

4. 2012 April 23 9:39 am
    judyt2012 permalink

I am not surprised to hear that the news media (top of the hour ABC radio) keeps reporting that the socialists won. They fail to mention Le Pen’s substantial showing or that the margin of “victory” was 1.5% of the vote.

5. 2012 April 23 9:45 am

Comparing French Pols between Socialist and Conservative is like comparing Bernie Saunders to Nancy Pelosi. Both are still Leftists, just how Left is a matter of degree.

6. 2012 April 23 9:47 am

judy, even 1.5% “victory” is surprising to me…even in France. All over Europe the Socialist “dream” is turning a flat-out nightmare. Starting with Greece and working its way down.

Yet the French may indeed give this Socialist moron a chance to take them FURTHER down the road to destruction.

Le Pen’s got it right…but can she wag the dog from so far down the tail?

7. 2012 April 23 9:47 am

8. 2012 April 23 9:48 am

speaking of the media…ALL morning long Yahoo has had theis headline up:
    Did media favor Romney Over Obama?

yup…THAT is gonna be the new narrative…we (the media) has been TOO HARD on poor Obama. We vetted him TOO much!!

This is only the opening salvo of this new narrative

9. 2012 April 23 9:59 am

drdog09 –

And, this fall we will be choosing between Romney and Obama – liberalism versus socialism. Your point?

We elect candidates based on the choices we have. While he makes my skin crawl, Romney is far better than Obama. Le Pen is by far the best of the choices the French have. There actually is a candidate far to the left of Hollande. I wish more of our candidates (excluding Palin, DeMint, etc.), that loved the United States as much as she loves France.

As I said in the post, most (probably all) of us would disagree with Marine Le Pen’s fiscal policies. Nonetheless, if you are a “frog” she represents the conservative end of the spectrum.

To quote Ric Flair: “You don’t have to like her but you have to love her because in France she the best thing going. Woooooooooo!”

People like Le Pen (financial policies withstanding) are the only thing that can save Western Civilization (in Europe now and here 10 years from now).

10. 2012 April 23 10:03 am

JR –

To show you how screwed up (or propagandist) Pew Research is, here’s “research” it published in October, claiming that Sarah Palin receives 3-1/2 times as much favorable media coverage (and 50% less negative media coverage) as Barack Obama:

11. 2012 April 23 10:06 am

10, typical. The truth of a story with these types are generally down there around paragraph 10.

12. 2012 April 23 10:35 am

RAS and GALLUP must be polling two different countrys.

Get used to it folks.

13. 2012 April 23 11:00 am

14. 2012 April 23 11:02 am

Something I discovered in my research on Le Pen:100,000 women mutilated in UK … multi-culturalism is our strength.

15. 2012 April 23 11:39 am

Yep, the Democratic Party is for the little people. Let me amend that, the Democratic Party is for doing in the little people. — http://michellemalkin.com/2012/04/23/democratic-activist-arrested-charged-with-illegally-stealing-220000-medicaid-patient-records/

And local party functionaries caught scrubbing their website of their fellow traveler.

16. 2012 April 23 11:45 am

13. LMAO!

halarious

17. 2012 April 23 11:48 am

hilarious

18. 2012 April 23 12:03 pm

hylarious

19. 2012 April 23 1:01 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Interesting poll in #19.

As all you do, I stay in touch with TV and written news, blogs, polls, campaigns and comments under many of these. Do you agree or dis agree with my thoughts.

1. I’m seeing subtle changes in news reporting. Mostly in reporting White House miscues and problems that were ignored before. They are still in Obama camp soundly but I see cracks in the MSM armor.

1a. I’m seeing real problems with the WGH and scandals this year. They are starting to get more press than before. SLOWLY though.

2. I’m seeing the Romney officials on top of responses a whole lot better than McCain ever thought of. They challenge Obama and his surrogates right away and have better comebacks.

3. Bloggers are really a big difference this year going after Obama and are truly undermining every WH effort to control the talk.

4. I’m seeing the American public willing to comment and tell it the way it is in the comment sections. The hell with being politically correct or careful in their comments. It seems like their going to post what they really think. and a lot of it is anger.

5. All of this leads me to believe that the GOP/Conservatives are really enthused and fired up about electing Romney and conservative GOP candidates.

Am I wrong in my analysis????

20. 2012 April 23 1:34 pm

MIC, I see a lot of those same trends…just not sure if they support your conclusions, yet. But I pray you’re correct! 🙂

Remember though, the more desperate Obama becomes, the more the cries of “RACISM!!” will be heard. I also pray that America is over whatever guilt-trip it was on that led it to believe that Obama should be elected because he’s (1/2) black. If America is over that, then this mutt is going to be soundly defeated!!

21. 2012 April 23 1:36 pm

Question: At what point do the Dems switch Hillary for Biden. I have seen LOTS of “Obama 2012” stickers here in the Bay Area. I have seen ZERO “Obana-Biden 2012” stickers. ZERO.

22. 2012 April 23 1:36 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

I also found it interesting that Romney declined to endorse Rubio’s immigration bill with Rubio at his side today.

23. 2012 April 23 1:37 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

I think the bumper sticker will read………Obama-Bill’s Wife 2012!

24. 2012 April 23 1:39 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

And Biden won’t be dropped from the ticket. He will have an excuse to step aside if Obama wants him gone. Nice and neat behind the door deal.

25. 2012 April 23 1:41 pm

MIC, I think your perceptions are correct, and it will be another good year down ticket although not enough to win the Senate.

As for the presidential race, the landscape you observe will make for a close race. To be competitive, Romney’s fundraising is going to have to pick up. He is in the crapper re cash on hand, and he’s facing the power of the incumbent.

Also has to overcome certain voter fraud in the battleground states.

And third parties splitting his vote???

26. 2012 April 23 1:58 pm

Mullet, good points. Romney can’t count on too many more unforced errors from Obama’s side.

And the voter fraud is going to be MASSIVE this time. Eric Holder has essentially stated: “There will be ZERO investigations…let alone prosecutions…of pro-Obama voter fraud. ZERO!”

27. 2012 April 23 1:59 pm

27. Nope.

There will be no “drawdown” as the MSM is saying

28. 2012 April 23 3:48 pm

although not enough to win the Senate.~~~fishy

All we need is 4 seats to switch.

29. 2012 April 23 4:14 pm

First, the only thing that is going to save this country is Bubba.

Second, who watches the Main Stream Media? They tell more lies than Satan does. At least Satan does mix in some TRUTH with his lies. The left just out right lies with no truth what so ever.

O/T – Saw today that Social Security will run out of money by 2033. That is like saying you are going to run out of gas 5 miles down the road when you are going to go over the cliff 500 feet ahead. With the debt we have and the debt we are occurring like there will be a 2033? I doubt we see 2015.

30. 2012 April 23 4:20 pm

Am I wrong in my analysis????

You were correct until this last part, at least when it comes to me.

I am not fired up about Romney, far from it. I think my joy at finally feeling a little freer to express myself is what is making me speak out more, and I can honestly say that this will be the legacy that Breitbart left behind. His death left a vacuum that Conservatives together are starting to fill. There will never be another Andrew, but there are lots of voices, that when combined, have the strength that his had.

#war

#war is what I think of anytime I think about tempering my words. #war is what I think Andrew would want each of us to fight loudly from now on. We got where we are by sitting on our hands. Romney is getting some rewards from this, but it is not because anyone actually likes him. He is just not Obama. When the Obama team sought to attack the voters themselves through the motherhood angle, which came on the heels of so many other attacks…I think people finally had the courage to throw some shade his way. You can’t go pissing off a bunch of moms and expect to get away with it.

Eating dogs

I saw the phrase “Better in a crate than on a plate” yesterday and thought- GENIUS. Obama freaking ate a dog. You really can’t come back from that- not with those of us who truly consider dogs to be man’s best friend- but- HAHA- Muslims probably have something to think about that as well, as dogs are “unclean”.

I think we have reached the point of “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore”. I have had it with being called a racist. I have had it with the privileged class when it comes to who gets punished for what crimes under this administration. I believe in my heart of hearts that we will have another Reginald Denny incident- if that isn’t Zimmerman himself. Yanno, that was 20 years ago, almost to the day. Funny how nothing has changed.

31. 2012 April 23 4:22 pm

We’re from the government~~and we’re here for your guns
    And your taxes and your personal choice.

32. 2012 April 23 4:39 pm

Enjoy (if you are somewhere that the content warning won’t make a difference)

33. 2012 April 23 4:52 pm

29 – huh?

34. 2012 April 23 5:00 pm

MI Conservative –

McCain had the worst campaign organization possible. The first choice (Mark McKinnon) declined because he didn’t want to campaign against the first black candidate in the nation’s history. People like Steve Schmidt and Mark and Nicolle Wallace were no better. I cannot understand why McCain worked so hard to gain the nomination only to constantly waive the white flag of surrender.

35. 2012 April 23 5:37 pm

From HA

From headlines earlier:

The dog story really, really bothers the looney left because it illustrates to all how foreign Barry really is. The deeper point is he was not raised as an American. When I was 8 I had little league, my first communion, BBQ’s on the 4th of July and pool parties with my friends. Little Barry Soetoro was reciting prayers in Arabic at the Mosque and eating dog.

This story makes people question his background for the first time. Keep mocking him with this so the voters can see him for the joke he is.

DeweyWins on April 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM

And, me:

This is where you counter with a video of a bunch of little kids, four, five and six, asking them, “Would you eat a puppy dog?” Their answers and reactions would be “precious.”

Please please somebody make this happen.

36. 2012 April 23 5:55 pm

#31

I need an editor. I was thinking one thing, and typing something else. Yes, the Senate should flip needing only 4.

I guess I was thinking control….somewhere close to 60.