Is the Youth Vote Up for Grabs?

2012 April 25

In 2008 Barack Obama was able to energize 18-29 year old voters as they have never been energized before. They turned out in record numbers. Obama was cool, unlike John McCain or the dead Presidents whose faces appear on our currency. Their teachers and professors reinforced their beliefs. They wanted to help make history by electing the nation’s first black president and overturn the country’s racist past that their parents and grandparents helped  create. The man spoke about “hope and change” but was light on details. Yet, the country’s youth followed them like the pied piper.

My son swears that he is the only one of 40+ middle class (primarily 18-27 year old) employees at his Outback restaurant in a comfortable suburban community that voted for McCain.

Other than “hope and change,” most younger voters couldn’t tell you what Obama stood for in 2008, but he was the “cool black guy” so they were going to vote for him.

So, how has all that “hopey, changy stuff” worked out? Only 55 percent of Americans between 16 and 29 have jobs. Student loan debt has surpassed credit card debt. Today’s 16-29 year olds truly are becoming the “young the restless.” Many are starting to wonder if the crazy woman with the glasses who “could see Russia from her house” wasn’t wrong when she warned against spending money the country doesn’t have.

Obama realizes that while he will probably still win the “youth vote” he won’t have the 67% he enjoyed in 2008. Of greater concern, young Americans are not engaged and energized like they were in 2008. He is doing everything he can by touring colleges to fighting to keep student loan interest low. But, will it be enough?

More likely, fewer young people will vote and those that do will be open to a candidate who can speak to their misery and give them reason for optimism about the future. Does that mean that a GOP candidate can win the 18-29 demographic?

Not likely. But they can close the considerable gap that opened up in 2008.

CNN:

In 2008, the youth vote helped sweep Barack Obama into office. Americans 18-29 spread the word on social media, energized fundraising and went to the polls.

In 2012, the youth vote is moving on and throwing those omnipresent “Hope” bumper stickers and t-shirts in garbage bins.

Not because of apathy. Not because another candidate generates more enthusiasm. Not because of his character. Not because they think voting is pointless. The 18-29 vote is up for grabs in 2012 because youth can’t afford cars to put bumper stickers on and those t-shirts are worn out from too many days sitting on the couch unemployed.

The sobering reality: just 55.3 percent of Americans between 16 and 29 have jobs. And earlier this year, Americans’ student loan debt surpassed credit card debt for the first time ever.

Read more:

Image Detail

Hat tip: American Thinker

1. 2012 April 25 11:25 am

RNC’s latest Video – Tale of Two Leaders.
    ht: Legal Insurrection

2. 2012 April 25 11:59 am

Signs of life in Virginia

3. 2012 April 25 12:01 pm

dhimmitude (obammer lap dog)

h/t patdollard

4. 2012 April 25 12:07 pm

A good chunk of those college kids are in another category as well…..white. Being a democrat will NOT SAVE YOU if you are white and in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time. When you see those videos of chants for the death of white people, they have not once specified white Republicans, and even if they did- do you really think they’re going to ask how you vote before they beat or kill you? Nope. So there you have it- jobless and white. Things suck for you either way, all thanks to Obama. But, you know, GOTV and stuff.

5. 2012 April 25 12:09 pm

JM –

Don’t you watch TV? Inter-racial crime only occurs when whites (including Hispanic whites) attack defenseless blacks.

6. 2012 April 25 12:14 pm

The kenyan fraud will contrive some way to wipe out the student loan debt.

7. 2012 April 25 12:15 pm

With youth unemployment above 40%, its vote is not up for grabs, its up for sale.

8. 2012 April 25 12:16 pm

Not a good day for the flim flam man

9. 2012 April 25 12:19 pm

These brain dead sycophants recently graduated will more than likely condemn the “system” rather than the commie in chief. More cannon fodder for the occupy drones. More useful colons for obammers brown shirts.

10. 2012 April 25 12:20 pm

any group that can be carved out will be pandered to by Obama…and the “Youth Vote” is a big one.

The Student Loan thing, the “We’ll let your parents cover your medical longer and longer” part of ObamaCare, the “Food Stamps are AWESOME!” campaign…all aimed at young folks.

Our Divider in Chief is also our Panderer in Chief. And he’s also a total dickwad!

11. 2012 April 25 12:22 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

What is a youth vote? I’m 54 and consider my vote as a youth vote and it is not up for grabs. Unless Ms. Slovakia asks me to change it. But then I would need
    HER to promise to do something for me in return for my vote.

Sorta sounds like I could work for the Secret service, eh?

12. 2012 April 25 12:26 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Seriously —–I miss the cheerleader pics!!!!

13. 2012 April 25 12:27 pm

micon~~~you need to eschew those kind of pics, lest ye succumb to a coronary erectus.

14. 2012 April 25 12:29 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

On topic, I think it is up for grabs! Obama has turned a lot of the youth off with his back door deals, nasty attacks, and no transparency! Young people had these high ideals when they voted for him and they found out he was using them.

15. 2012 April 25 12:30 pm

Yup ip, like the one you sent me in my email! You Scooby Doo! HAHAHA

16. 2012 April 25 12:39 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

When I go I hope it’s by coronary erectus!

Who said that? I’m trying to remember if it was Barney Frank, John Edwards, Ted Kennedy, Bill Clinton or that Rep. Weiner dude??

17. 2012 April 25 12:41 pm

I looked at the picture of Miss Czech and Miss Slovak, and thought: “If I was a younger man (and not married) I would try to find a way to, um, unite them!”

now, of course, my daughter is gonna kick my ass *sigh*

18. 2012 April 25 12:42 pm

As well she should !!!

19. 2012 April 25 12:43 pm

on a more serious note…the Obama Regime is kicking out that Marine under “less than honorable conditions” who DARED to criticize Obama! He will lose all benefits.

Obama is ruthless. And the media, which would have (and did) PRAISED a Marine bad-mouthing Bush…is piling on in this case.

Message is clear: NO ONE may speak ill of Lord Obama.

20. 2012 April 25 1:02 pm

My first instincts were:~~fornicate the present day marines.

However after thinking it over, I guess I have mixed emotions on the subject. If some left wing prick in uniform started bad mouthing a pres that I liked,
    I might want him/her shit canned as well. Those two edged swords are a bitch.

21. 2012 April 25 1:18 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

I love ip’s use of words but they always make me think. So, if we vote Obama out in November is that considered being shit-canned?

22. 2012 April 25 1:19 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

ip, Is crap-canned and turd canned and poop-canned interchangeable with shit-canned?

Also, is shit-canned the same as canned-shit?

23. 2012 April 25 1:21 pm

Ip, I agree…except the media sought and PRAISED military personel who bashed Bush. Further, this did so on Facebook…not while standing in the middle of Parade Ground.

What’s next? Having Marines jailed because of a stray remark at the local bar?? And if not, why not?

24. 2012 April 25 1:26 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

justrand, it always coming down to the MSM treating different people the same. They are becoming more racist and stereotype people than any group of people in America. Except for Holder and the people he protects.

25. 2012 April 25 1:28 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

#4 —

All of those “white” kids who voted for Obama because they thought it was cool to vote for a black POTUS bought into the heal the racial divide.

These clueless idiots were blissfully unaware of the seething hatred a segment of the black community has against all whites. These Obama voting idiots were well aware of all the advantages given to the minority students over their white peers. To be sure they probably thought this was “sufficient atonement” for past “injustices”. Now they see that not only is that segment of the black community unsatisfied but there is no healing of racial divide but a widening.

The tie we need to make is just as Obama has made the racial divide worse, he also made everything else worse… the economy, the national debt, the government spending, foreign policy, war deaths, WARS… etc.

Some PAC needs to make that commercial.

To be sure these kids who probably never considered they had a racist bone in their bodies have also been called racists if they dared to voice any complaints against the ZERO.

26. 2012 April 25 1:38 pm

Judy, those kids are also now going out into the real world…and those Affirmative Action plans that were more or less “hypothetical” to them before are now all too real…and directly affecting THEM…and their children!!

27. 2012 April 25 1:43 pm

20. He knew the rules, comes with the territory. It’s one thing to say it in private, but posting that on Facebook was ill advised.

28. 2012 April 25 1:58 pm

MI Conservative –

I’m glad to see that you are “czeching” out Miss Slovakia. She is a “hottie.”

Maybe to get the male members of JBG through the next 4-5 months, I had better post Ice Girls from teams that have made it through round 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

29. 2012 April 25 2:06 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Sounds good bc! Maybe there are teams in Major League baseball that have ball girls? Ball Girls? What a term! Maybe they are nuts!

30. 2012 April 25 2:08 pm

KH, a saloon is not “private”…or is a barracks. I’m just saying that this can have the effect of making our military feel that they can NEVER complain or express an opinion. Kinda like the old Soviet Army.

This Marine is being made an example of.

And then there this…speaking of making examples of something or someone

31. 2012 April 25 2:10 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

I confess… I watched the video of ZERO “slow jamming” the news.

What total nonsense as to format.

Now as to substance, claiming that lowering the interest rates on student loans will somehow lower the cost of education is like claiming that reducing the interest rate on my VISA will lower the price of the shoes I bought last week.

Nope… the only thing that lowers the price of those shoes is for the store to sell those shoes at a lower price or for me to find a store with a lower price or for me to buy a less expensive shoe.

Lowering interest rates only changes the expense associated with how I finance the mechanism for purchasing those shoes it does not make the shoes less expensive.

The only thing that lowers the cost of a college education is for those colleges to lower tuition & fees rates and reduce room and board fees.

32. 2012 April 25 2:11 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Another telling video from KH. Thanks.

33. 2012 April 25 2:20 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

I’m waiting for the EPA to tell dog owners that their dogs have to wear depends so the poop doesn’t sink into the ground in developed areas of the country and pollute it..

34. 2012 April 25 3:13 pm

MI Conservative permalink

Also, is shit-canned the same as canned-shit

Yes, it can be interchangeable in that the shit/crap/turd/poop is the object of the transitive verb, canned.
    No,shit-canned is a transitive verb, whereas canned-shit is a noun.

35. 2012 April 25 3:33 pm

What a shitty (crappy, turdy, poopy) subject! 🙁

36. 2012 April 25 3:59 pm
    JBoz permalink

First, I don’t think the youth vote is an “up for grabs” block. They are much more likely to simply gravitate back into political apathy and not vote at all. “Dude – Obama was like soooo 2008!” I think they sit this out in droves, which would be good.

Second, I have been thinking about the Obama war chest lately, and the Romney lack-thereof chest. This has been a concern of mine for awhile, until this thought occurred to me, and I will pose it to you as a question.

If someone decided to convince you that eating a giant dog turd was healthy, and tasted good, and in fact wasn’t a dog turd after all – would a $1B advertising campaign persuade you to eat one? I didn’t think so. My point is that they have a giant dog turd to to to sell the American voter, and it’s the same turd they took a bite out of already. $1B might not be enough to convince voters to take another bite.

37. 2012 April 25 4:10 pm

30. My comment was based on the facts of the case not your hypothetical.

“This Marine is being made an example of.” – Apparently all those examples before him didn’t make an impression.

38. 2012 April 25 4:11 pm

“They are much more likely to simply gravitate back into political apathy and not vote at all.”

This.

39. 2012 April 25 4:23 pm

White House issues veto threat against CISPA

Don’t get excited though, it’s only cause they want an even bigger power grab contained in a competing bill.

40. 2012 April 25 4:34 pm

Might cover some losses from Evangelicals who will not vote for a Mormon.

41. 2012 April 25 4:38 pm

metaphorical genius~~~it’s the same turd they took a bite out of already

42. 2012 April 25 5:06 pm

11 YIKES

that makes my sinuses feel better!

43. 2012 April 25 5:14 pm

Kaption Kontest!!

HT:UpRoxx

44. 2012 April 25 5:17 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

DC tourist beaten to death… I guess I spoke too soon this morning, heard it on the radio this afternoon

45. 2012 April 25 5:22 pm

#42 Hey! That guy just ate my dog!

46. 2012 April 25 5:22 pm

#43 Oh man…

47. 2012 April 25 5:24 pm

Well another one you can file as unfilled right along with ‘You can keep your insurance plan’ — http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303513404577356413669520718.html?mod=djemEditorialPage_h

48. 2012 April 25 5:55 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Most fitting to the maturity of most Obama voters…

“(You stink)Pull my finger”

49. 2012 April 25 6:20 pm

2008 was a lot like 1976. I was in college then, a lot of the students bought into Carter and his reforms and being an outsider. I looked at Carter and just thought it did not smell right. But a lot of students did BUT later had buyer remorse,

I believe that again those students today bought what Obama was selling BUT being idealistic they see that he is no different than any other politician. Thus many will stay home or vote for the Republican. Some may do it because they feel betrayed by Obama. Many students are in puppy love when it comes to politics. Now knowing that their boy/girl friend has cheated on them, they are hurt and their will be a cost to it.

Pay back is a b*tch – Obama.

50. 2012 April 26 3:36 am
    CheshireCat permalink

You with your BJG blogin’
    You skeptics always contemplatin’
    How my coronation you’d like to start rearrangin’
    When that’s not what you really should do
    When heaven has found your children and you
    Can’t you see
    That it’s all wrapped up in the Messiah that’s Me
    So follow Me
    Come on, children
    I’m Obama the Piper
    And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at
    Come on, children
    Can’t you see
    I’m Obama the Piper
    Trust in Me
    Children
    Don’t be worried about your parents payin’ big bucks to help Me move and grove
    Hey, children
    What do you think I’m tryin’ to prove
    It ain’t true
    That My Michelle would like to punch and rob your dumb hysterical parents and you
    It’s just in your mind
    And that’s all that’s trickin’ you
    So behind all My Media Minions step in line
    Come on, children
    Turn on your evil racist parents for Me
    Come on, children