Obama Hypocrisy Detroit Style
Gov. Scott Walker spoke at the Reagan Day dinner in the Detroit area earlier this week. Hundreds paid $65 to have dinner and hear him speak. The next day Barack Obama was in town and people could pay: 1) $1,000 to shake his hand or 2) anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 to attend a dinner with him at the home of Denise Illitch (daughter of Little Caesar’s, Tigers and Red Wings owner).
A crowd of several hundred (organized by the UAW) protested the “1%ers” at the $65 a plate Reagan Day dinner, yet no protesters showed up to protest the $1,000 handshake or $10,000 – $40,000 Obama fundraiser cocktail party/dinner.
TROY, Mich. — Hundreds of United Auto Workers union members and others picketed outside a Michigan Republican event Tuesday evening that featured Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.
The protest was held outside at the San Marino Club in Troy, site of the Southeast Michigan Ronald Reagan Memorial Dinner. Walker is facing a June recall in Wisconsin for stripping his state’s public employees of their bargaining rights.
The UAW said the demonstration is targeted at Walker’s and Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder’s “shared agenda of cutting taxes on the wealthy while shifting the tax burden to the middle-class workers.”
“I’m tired of giving tax breaks to the rich,” Steve Dawes, assistant director of UAW Region 1C, told The Detroit News. “The showing out here really shows that he’s not only in trouble in Wisconsin, he don’t have no friends here either.”
Upward of 4,000 people protested Walker’s appearance earlier Tuesday at an event in Springfield, Ill.
Obama Visits Motown
CBS Detroit reports around 600 people are expected at Mr. Obama’s event at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, and attendees are paying “$5,000 to have dinner with the president and get a photo, $1,000 for a VIP rope line to shake his hand and $250 to attend.”
The Denise Ilitch event will feature Michigan products, including white fish, vegetables, home brews, and Motown music. Participants will pay $40,000 for a cocktail reception and $10,000 per person for a dinner and candid photo.
- How come Scott Walker attracted upward of 4,000 protesters in Springfield, IL and only a couple hundred in Detroit? Springfield is a state capital – lots of government
- Isn’t it a little hypocritical to protest a $65 a plate dinner and ignore $1,000 for a handshake, a $40,000 cocktail party and $10,000 a plate dinner?
- Weren’t Michigan born and bred dogs were part of Denise Illitch’s “Pride of Michigan” dinner? Perhaps as an appetizer or for dessert?
- Ever eat a Little Caesar’s pizza? It’s far worse than the crap Barry ate in Indonesia. Can you say “Pizza … Pizza with pup-eroni?”
- “The showing out here really shows that he’s not only in trouble in Wisconsin, he don’t have no friends here either.” And, people believe union leaders are ignorant, uneducated thugs?
Hat tip: The Republic (Columbus, IN) and Michigan Radio