Your Body is Ours, Your Mouth is Theirs

2012 April 10
tags:
by drdog09

In case you have never heard of Joel Salatin he is a farmer in the Shenandoah Valley area of VA. He runs Polyface farm and is the most prominent leader of the Eat Local movement. More prominently, he does not do industrial farming.

But set farming aside for a moment and just think that what he is battling is a axis of Washington — Industry co-option and planned regulatory capture. Salatin does not use the word but what he describes in his $9 bacon missive is Facism American style.

They (US Duh, US guv, as Salatin pronounces it) won’t have to mess with us. They will mess with the producers. One day when you head to the store all that will be in the meat aisle is pink slime, three legged chicken and toxic Talipia. You will be told to like it because those will be your only choices. All other non-industrial sources will be crushed under a weight of regulation that starves out the little producer. That has been the model for at least twenty years now. Its part of the reason that our unemployment is where it is. Why our choices get fewer and fewer every year.

Enjoy your re-hydrated, reconstituted, genetically enhanced, chemically protected and irradiated food stuffs. It will be your only choice soon. Monsanato and ADM have told the govt to tell you so.

1. 2012 April 10 3:25 pm

Regulation Nation.

It’s why Obama knows he can govern WITHOUT Congress…and without SCOTUS if he needs to. The regulations are so pervasive and convoluted, that even simple actions that were once, well, simple, become complex, costly and even illegal.

And the people enforcing these rules & regs are almost always FACELESS!

If Obama wins this will accelerate…and controlling Congress won’t matter a bit.

2. 2012 April 10 3:50 pm

3. 2012 April 10 4:00 pm

(ot) Didn’t know about the suicide forest, wonder if there is any similar place in the US.

4. 2012 April 10 4:14 pm

(ot)
    “Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.), who is facing a lawsuit for failing to pay down a 2002 Bank of America loan that he used to buy a car wash in Missouri, could have a good chunk of the $1.5 million he owes paid off by taxpayers.

According to the Kansas City Star, the Small Business Administration (SBA) backed about three-quarters of Cleaver’s 2002 loan, which means that if the loan goes bad, the SBA could pay off $1.1 million of that debt.”

The loan predates him being elected to congress, otherwise I’d point out a conflict of interest, other then that it just sounds like a typical failed sba backed business. Seem a bit of a yawner when there is so much worse The Hill could be focusing on.

5. 2012 April 10 4:20 pm

drdog – nice video. Proof that people may want to go the self sufficiency route. Government regulations and control are going to be the death of the country. Nothing will be accomplished as it will be too costly to produce and sell.

People are going to drop off the grid and become self sufficient giving the government the one finger salute.

6. 2012 April 10 4:33 pm

Speaking of Monsanato have any thoughts on the recent court case related to seed (or residual seed) patent infringement. — KH

The case itself no. But I do see a long term trap of GMO producers. An acquaintance told me a while ago that some 96% of the soy produced in this country is now GMO. The point was you can hardly not get GMO soy. When one becomes that ubiquitous the IP holder possibly faces the old Xerox hurdle. Its mere success makes it non-unique. Once that happens the hold on the IP slips.

The other problem I see coming on the horizon is something that is not yet in the public consciousness — Open Source Biology. We all know of hacker spaces right? Places where geeks pool their tooling to be shared by all and everybody contributes to the rent to run the place. Well there are already biology geeks running on a very similar model. See — boingboing.net/2010/07/05/help-fund-a-hackersp.html. Another has sprouted in NYC. Pun intended.

The problem as I see it goes something like this. Biogeeks LLC get a hair up the noggin to do in Monsanto. So they reverse engineer the soy seed. They then develop a more virulent/aggressive soy strain that not only out produces Monsanto’s product but detects and destroys Monsanto genome type plants. Its released to the world under GPL3, free seeds if you pay the postage. Within one crop year Monsanto’s product is wiped out. All protected under US patent law as a derivative work. Nice….

bottom line. Don’t get greedy, someone else with lots of time on their hands will develop a better mousetrap.

7. 2012 April 10 4:58 pm

The one program of the many the Feds deliver, the Feds despise using — eVerify — works AGAIN in SC — http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16713321?ocid=us_magazine-video_ppc_outbrain

8. 2012 April 10 5:17 pm

Tied right into this post is the other side of the coin, the government parasite as the author coins it — http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/the-hard-working-american-vs-the-government-parasite — good read.

9. 2012 April 10 5:20 pm

btw saw this today about Best Buy regarding recent practices, sort of goes hand in hand with so earlier comments. I’ve never had to return anything but you be darn sure I wouldn’t fork over a DL to be swiped. Yet another DB to get pilfered .

10. 2012 April 10 5:25 pm

so=some

re:8 – Scary isn’t it.

11. 2012 April 10 5:31 pm

10, very!

By the way KH, the CEO of Best Buy stepped down today. Cause, `personal conflicts`. Quiet way to say payola I presume.

12. 2012 April 10 5:32 pm

That article in #8 is chilling…accurate but chilling. And the reality of it pisses me off!

13. 2012 April 10 5:46 pm

9th circus case for IT and related HR\Legal folks to be aware of.
    I share their view on this narrow case.

14. 2012 April 10 5:47 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Dang, I read posts here and it always interesting when people link to articles but your comments and explanations are deep and well thought out. I consider myself pretty bright but react on gut instincts a lot which are usually correct anyway.

I guess I got to move onto a blog with more dummies where I know I’m smarter.

15. 2012 April 10 5:48 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Can anyone tell me a blog where you know I’ll be smarter than others?

16. 2012 April 10 5:49 pm

11. Yeah it was reported on an earlier thread, rough seas ahead for BB.

17. 2012 April 10 5:50 pm

MIC, you’re just fine right here,buddy!! 🙂

18. 2012 April 10 5:55 pm

MI Conservative permalink

Can anyone tell me a blog where you know I’ll be smarter than others?

Go to hedgehog report. They think they are smarter, but they are
    delusional.

19. 2012 April 10 6:07 pm

“An acquaintance told me a while ago that some 96% of the soy produced in this country is now GMO.” – And apparently Monto sells 90% of those 96% of soy seed or at least that was stipulated in the IP related case. I’m real curious to see how that turns out though, tough call but seems to me Monto could just engineer around the problem in the case by having them themselves after a generation or two. case I’m referring too.

15. Huh? I thought we were all just a bunch of psychopaths? 😉 Perhaps the lurking bitterlaw could opine with a legal perspective.

20. 2012 April 10 6:12 pm

Speaking of delusions, psychopaths, and intelligence.

Researchers use brain injury data to map intelligence in the brain

“CHAMPAIGN, lll. — Scientists report that they have mapped the physical architecture of intelligence in the brain. Theirs is one of the largest and most comprehensive analyses so far of the brain structures vital to general intelligence and to specific aspects of intellectual functioning, such as verbal comprehension and working memory.”

21. 2012 April 10 6:15 pm

The comedy continues on the campaign trail, or what’s left of it.

“Five Republicans have filed the necessary papers and $500 fee to qualify for the June 26 Utah presidential primary election, but with Rick Santorum dropping out of the race Tuesday, only four will be on the ballot.

Newt Gingrich’s check bounced.

Utah Elections Director Mark Thomas said a designated agent for the Gingrich campaign brought the filing papers and a check for $500 in March, but the state was notified by the bank that the check had bounced. He said the office has tried to contact the Gingrich campaign through the telephone number and email provided on the application, but has not received a response”

22. 2012 April 10 6:24 pm

I guess I got to move onto a blog with more dummies where I know I’m smarter.

Don’t you go anywhere there buddy. If the sun shines right next year the wife and I will be needing travel and beer hall advise in Germany.

23. 2012 April 10 6:24 pm

Funny comments point out the obvious – Media members need ID to attend, but apparently not to vote according to Holder.

24. 2012 April 10 6:37 pm

KH, 13,

First thing to go will be companies permitting employees to bring their own laptops to work for employment related functions. It would muddy the unauthorized use angle that they depend on for IP protection of company assets. This ruling still does not catch up with the issue of cloud computing and whose data is it?

25. 2012 April 10 6:48 pm

25. No it doesn’t address any of that stuff at all. It seems pretty limited in the sense that all they are saying is breaching company policy in a manner where your were already technically authorized to do something (it just was against policy) in itself doesn’t make it a federal crime under CFAA, you could still get your arse in trouble under plenty of other laws that might apply, not to mention get civil action in cases such as the one presents. So far it’s 3-1 in cases like this so it may be headed to the black robes eventually.

I don’t see companies bailing on BYOC (as much as I’d like them too – keeps many things more clear and is far easier to manage), they seem to like the perceived cost savings too much.

26. 2012 April 10 6:51 pm

26. Nice, better late then never.

27. 2012 April 10 7:01 pm

I can understand the superficial allure of something for nothing. Fact is though, purchase cost is only 20% (or less) of the operational cost of a computer over a 5 year life. And regardless of the employee bearing the cost of repair there is still all that back office support cost for a nonstandard box. But then I am preaching to the choir….

28. 2012 April 10 7:15 pm

Stupid statement of the day:

According to veteran journalist Barbara Walters on Monday, the American public doesn’t know whether “most” reporters are “Republicans or Democrats.”

Hat tip: NewsBusters.org

29. 2012 April 10 7:19 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

drdog, I’ll post anytime way in advance I’m going to Germany and anyone on this site is welcome if you can afford the trip. I stay in family run hotels I know and eat at local places that are the best price and food. No Fast food! You better like a few bottles of wine on top of the Alsp looking at the scenery though. If you go on your own I’ll send you info.

I’ve taken high school groups, adult groups and set everything up. I guess I know Germ, Aus, and Switzerland better than US politics. lol Only the conservative areas though. HA

30. 2012 April 10 7:20 pm

KH –

Who didn’t think a Gingrich for President campaign would be a joke? Newt certainly hasn’t disappointed. Newt is a great debater … and … and ….

31. 2012 April 10 7:20 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Dang, I didn’t mean anybody, just regulars that have been here. My luck I’d get some troll or drunk hockey player wanting to go.

32. 2012 April 10 7:20 pm

A Harley biker is riding by the zoo in Washington , DC when he sees a little girl leaning into the gorilla’s cage. Suddenly, the gorilla grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the gorilla square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the gorilla jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A reporter has watched the whole event. The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, ‘Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I’ve seen a man do in my whole life.’

The Harley rider replies, ‘Why, it was nothing, really, the gorilla was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt right.’

The reporter says, ‘Well, I’ll make sure this won’t go unnoticed. I’m a journalist, and tomorrow’s paper will have this story on the front page…
    So, what do you do for a living and what political affiliation do you have?’

The biker replies, ‘I’m a U.S. Marine and a Republican.’

The journalist leaves. The following morning the biker buys the paper to see news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH

That pretty much sums up the media’s approach to the news these days

33. 2012 April 10 7:21 pm

29 – “Preaching to the choir…” Yup eye to eye on that one for sure.

One more of the road as I head off to dinner:

President Obama, who famously called for tax increases on the wealthy to “spread the wealth around,” denied today that his tax increases on the rich are an attempt to “redistribute wealth.”

“So these investments — in things like education and research and health care — they haven’t been made as some grand scheme to redistribute wealth from one group to another,” the president said today at Florida Atlantic University. “This is not some socialist dream,” Obama added, as he called for tax increases on millionaires today to pay for those investments.

Well to quote you again Mr. President “You can put lipstick on a pig. It’s still a pig”.

34. 2012 April 10 7:24 pm

My luck I’d get some troll or drunk hockey player wanting to go. — MIC

Well the troll of course can stay home. The hockey player on the other hand might prove interesting to watch after a few pilsners….

35. 2012 April 10 7:24 pm

32. Yeah I know bc3b that’s exactly what I quoted in the article, You don’t find it remotely funny that [a] Newt’s check bounced, or that [b] they still can’t get in contact with the campaign ?

36. 2012 April 10 7:27 pm

What’s going on with your posts bc3b, that’s the 3rd time today I see you quote something…with nothing after it. Then I refresh like 2 minutes later and your comment appears (as expected) below it. Do you keep hitting save before you’re finished with the comment or is something up with my browser?

37. 2012 April 10 7:28 pm

MI Conservative #31 –

“Do you speak Austrian? lol

38. 2012 April 10 7:29 pm

MIC, you coordinate a tour group to Germany? Didn’t know that. What time of year do you usually go? I have suggested my wife do something like this once or twice a year to St. Petersburg and Moscow. So far no interest.

39. 2012 April 10 7:29 pm

30: Ha ha good catch.
    /later

40. 2012 April 10 8:25 pm

KH –

I just post quickly and sometimes forget to add the link.

41. 2012 April 11 4:05 am

Is the TBill floater a signal by the Fed that inflation is about to be unleashed? — http://www.zerohedge.com/news/if-1951-accord-any-indication-treasurys-imminent-launch-floaters-will-be-signal-get-out-dodge — Especially read the close.

42. 2012 April 11 5:31 am
    MI Conservative permalink

I usually go in the spring or fall lately because of prices. But a lot of smmer visits. It isn’t really a tour as such. I do get hotels, transportaion once your over there and schedule some events and tours. Usually go to three or four towns like Salzburg, Austrian, Luzern, Swit., and Munich, Germany and then take day trips to surrounding areas. If your tired you can stay back in town and shop or relax or join the group where we go.

I tried learning Austrain but I found it was messing up my German! HAHA

43. 2012 April 11 5:59 am

ya know, they used to HIDE this crap…but now they’re so confident, they just throw it out there:

Yup, if you want to win a government contract, you better support Michelle Obama and WHATEVER she’s doin’!

44. 2012 April 11 6:05 am

a great article to start the day with:

the tragedy that a 2nd term for Obama would bring to America is frankly beyond my imagination…way beyond

45. 2012 April 11 6:18 am
    MI Conservative permalink

yestrerday I said I contacted a bunch of people about the ABC poll. RCP was one of my contacts and today Jay Cost has an excellent artcile on the poll. Link at Real Clear Politics.

46. 2012 April 11 6:37 am

47. 2012 April 11 6:39 am

drdog…I’m fully willing to boycott ALL those companies. I vote more and more with my wallet these days.

Folks…look at the list and STOP doing business with them, and email/call them to let them know why!

48. 2012 April 11 7:15 am

I find it difficult to find emails addresses for these companies.Lots of web page info but no contact emails.

49. 2012 April 11 8:07 am

IP, 51,

Yes and its deliberate. First off, many companies are holding companies. So the executive offices may have a totally different name from the branded presence. So the first trick is finding that home office name. Once you have it tho, even if the website does not provide contact information you are guaranteed this one will — http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html.

Does not matter who you are, a publiclly traded company must properly id itself to the SEC. I put Walgreen in the search bar and had the mail address but one click away. Practically anybody who is anybody is in the database.

50. 2012 April 11 11:25 am

42. It’s never a link… it’s the comment posts I was referring too not top posts and it was always when something was blockquoted. – eh whatever

51. 2012 April 11 11:26 am