Jeb: Reagan Would Have Difficulty Getting GOP Nod

2012 June 11

That’s an interesting comment since the GOP – including conservatives – appear to be coalescing behind Mitt Romney who, on his best day, is far less conservative than Ronald Reagan was on his worst day.

Once again the Country Club Republicans, headed by the Bush family, are declaring war on conservatives. You see, we are the enemy, not the Democrats.

It would be nice if Jeb would take the advice his mother gave Sarah Palin (shut up and go away) and take the 85 year old woman with the 125 year old face with him. No more Bushes ever!!!

Former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida said his father, George Bush, and Ronald Reagan would find themselves out of step with today’s Republican Party because of its strict adherence to ideology and the intensity of modern partisan warfare.

“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, similar to my dad, they would have had a hard time if you define the Republican Party — and I don’t — as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement,” Mr. Bush said at question-and-answer session with reporters and editors held Monday morning in Manhattan by Bloomberg View.

“Back to my dad’s time or Ronald Reagan’s time,” he said, “they got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan support that right now would be difficult to imagine happening.”

Mr. Bush’s comments help solidify his role as the Republican Party’s leading voice of moderation at a time when many in the party — particularly Tea Party adherents — are calling for ever-greater ideological discipline. And he continued a trend this campaign cycle of big-name presidential endorsers going off script from the campaigns they support. Mr. Bush has endorsed Mitt Romney’s candidacy.

Read more:

Would today’s GOP nominate Ronald Reagan? In a heartbeat. George H.W. Bush or George W. Bush? Hopefully not.

Hat tip: New York Times

1. 2012 June 11 11:06 am

I remember the first time I saw Barbara Bush on TV in 1980 – I was sure she was George H.W. Bush’s mother.

2. 2012 June 11 11:08 am

Jeb’s biggest problem with the rank and file? He’s an open borders guy who thinks that anyone should be able to come to the U.S. (especially if they are Hispanic) as long as they stay away from the Bushs’ gated communities (unless they are part of the household staff).

3. 2012 June 11 11:15 am

Jeb has gone “Bush” on us. Hey Jeb, STFU…we were just warming (a bit) to Romney.

4. 2012 June 11 11:42 am

Hopefully, he is talking himself off a spot of the ticket. Being the racist that I am, Susana Martinez is my first choice. Allen West would be a good pick too.

Excuse me while I slip into my sheet, hood and pointy hat.

5. 2012 June 11 11:58 am

Well I doubt if Jeb would have much of a chance these days either. Not because he is not conservative enough but just because he is a Bushy. Two dances in the WH state ball room is enough for any family.

As to Reagan. One has to remember that The Gipper was not a shoe-in for the nomination either. There was a definite Anti-Reagan faction of the party back then as well. The charge? He was once a Democrat! Gasp, Horrors!

I don’t think Reagan would be considered a RINO today after all these years. The teas would still run him in a heartbeat tho.

6. 2012 June 11 12:00 pm

I would also point out that the `accommodation` Reagan did across the aisle is a far cry from some of the proposals and laws that have been passed lately. Can anyone image Reagan reaching across the aisle to pass Obamacare??

7. 2012 June 11 12:03 pm

drdog09 –

“There was a definite Anti-Reagan faction of the party back then as well.”

And one of the leaders was George H.W. Bush.

“Not because he is not conservative enough but just because he is a Bushy.”

I seriously question that statement. Like “W” Jeb is a “compassionate conservative.” He is pro-life and moderate (aka big government conservative) to liberal on everything else. Few Dems are as adamately pro-illegal alien or open borders as Jeb Bush.

8. 2012 June 11 12:05 pm
    beej permalink

bc…Your post is awfully ambiguous…I’m not sure I understand how you feel about the Bush’s in general and Jeb in particular. 🙂

9. 2012 June 11 12:08 pm

This would give RINOs the vapors…..

I Am the Democratic, Republican Liberal-Progressive’s Worst Nightmare. I am a White, Conservative, Tax-Paying, American Veteran, Gun Owning Biker. That’s me! I am a Master Mason. I work hard and long hours with my hands to earn a living.

I believe in God and the freedom of religion, but I don’t push it on others. I ride Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and drive American-made cars, and I believe in American products and buy them whenever I can.

I believe the money I make belongs to me and not some liberal governmental functionary, Democratic or Republican, that wants to share it with others who don’t work!

I’m in touch with my feelings and I like it that way!

I think owning a gun doesn’t make you a killer; it makes you a smart American.

I think being a minority does not make you noble or victimized, and does not entitle you to anything. Get over it!

I believe that if you are selling me a Big Mac or any other item, you should do it in English. I believe there should be no other language option.

I believe everyone has a right to pray to his or her God when and
    where they want to.

My heroes are Malcolm Forbes, Bill Gates, John Wayne, Babe Ruth, Roy Rogers, and Willie G. Davidson, who makes the awesome Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

I don’t hate the rich. I don’t pity the poor. I know wrestling is fake and I don’t waste my time watching or arguing about it.

I’ve never owned a slave, nor was I a slave. I haven’t burned any witches or been persecuted by the Turks, and neither have you!

I believe if you don’t like the way things are here, go back to where you came from and change your own country!

This is AMERICA …We like it the way it is and more so the way it was …so stop trying to change it to look like Russia or China , or some other socialist country! If you were born here and don’t like it… you are free to move to any Socialist country that will have you. I believe it is time to really clean house, starting with the White House, the seat of our biggest problems.

I want to know which church is it, exactly, where the Reverend Jesse Jackson preaches, where he gets his money, and why he is always part of the problem and not the solution?

Can I get an AMEN on that one?

I also think the cops have the right to pull you over if you’re breaking the law, regardless of what color you are, but not just because you happen to ride a bike.

And, no, I don’t mind having my face shown on my driver’s license. I think it’s good….
    And I’m proud that ‘God’ is written on my money..

I think if you are too stupid to know how a ballot works, I don’t want you deciding who should be running the most powerful nation in the world for the next four years.

I dislike those people standing in the intersections trying to sell me stuff or trying to guilt me into making ‘donations’ to their cause…. Get a job and do your part to support yourself and your family!

I believe that it doesn’t take a village to raise a child, it takes two parents….

I believe ‘illegal’ is illegal no matter what the lawyers think!

I believe the American flag should be the only one allowed in AMERICA !

If this makes me a BAD American, then yes, I’m a BAD American.

If you are a BAD American too, please forward this to everyone you know…

We want our country back!

My Country….. I hope this offends all illegal aliens.

My great, great, great, great grandfather watched and bled as his
    friends died in the Revolution & the War of 1812. My great, great, great grandfather watched as his friends died in the Mexican American War. My great, great grandfather watched as his friends & brothers died in the Civil War. My great grandfather watched as his friends died in the Spanish-American War. My grandfather watched as his friends died in WW I. My father watched as his friends died in WW II.

I watched as my friends died in Vietnam , Panama & Desert Storm. My son watched & bled as his friends died in Afghanistan and Iraq . None of them died for the Mexican Flag.
    Everyone died for the American flag.

Texas high school students raised a Mexican flag on a school flag pole, other students took it down. Guess who was expelled…the students who took it down.

California high school students were sent home on Cinco de Mayo, because they wore T-shirts with the American flag printed on them.

Enough is enough

10. 2012 June 11 12:08 pm

Beej –

I have always had a difficult time expressing my feelings.

11. 2012 June 11 12:21 pm

Is Rick Perry Not Conservative Enough for Texas?

I considered Perry my fallback in the event Palin didn’t run. But, the more I learned about Perry, the less thrilled I was with him. In fact, I dropped Perry even before he made a fool of himself on national TV.

My guess is that if Rick Perry seeks a fourth term he is going to have a serious conservative challenger – not a Paulite like last time.

12. 2012 June 11 12:22 pm

BC,

Compared to the average Dim Jeb would be a conservative. My point was Jeb won’t make because he IS a Bush. There is no 1-2-3 lineup in American history probably never will be. The Kennedys couldn’t make it (consider JFK, RFK, Teddy as a lineup). Doubt the Bush’s will either.

Yep H.W. Bush was part of that Ford coalition that did not want Reagan. Lets also not forget that Reagan signed off on an illegal deal of his own in ’86.

13. 2012 June 11 12:35 pm

“Compared to the average Dim Jeb would be a conservative. ”

Not in the areas of illegal aliens and open borders, which I specifically referred to.

“Lets also not forget that Reagan signed off on an illegal deal of his own in ’86.”

Agreed, although Alan Simpson let him down big time.

Reagan’s greatest mistakes:
    1. Selection of VP candidate
    2. Amnesty of 1986
    3. Lousy SCOTUS nominees

14. 2012 June 11 12:42 pm

Reaching across the aisle has gotten us:

* The Department of Education
    * The 1986 amnesty
    * No child left behind
    * Nearly $12,000 per person in additional debt since John Boehner agreeed to raising the debt ceiling and told everyone to “get their a$$e$ in line to support him.

15. 2012 June 11 1:00 pm

Cletus is passing by Billy Bob ‘s hay barn one day when, through a gap in the door, he sees Billy Bob doing a slow and sensual striptease in front of an old John Deere tractor.
    Buttocks clenched, he performs a slow pirouette, and gently slides off first the right strap of his overalls, followed by the left. He then hunches his shoulders forward and in a classic striptease move, lets his overalls fall down to his hips, revealing a torn and frayed plaid shirt.
    Then, grabbing both sides of his shirt, he rips it apart to reveal his stained T-shirt underneath. With a final flourish, he tears the T-shirt from his body, and hurls his baseball cap onto a pile of hay.
    Having seen enough, Cletus rushes in and says, “What the world’re ya doing, Billy Bob ?”
    “Good grief, Cletus, ya scared the bejeebers out of me,” says an obviously embarrassed Billy Bob..
    “But me ‘n the wife been havin trouble lately in the bedroom d’partment, and the therapist suggested I do something sexy to a tractor.”
    (Don’t make me come explain this to you!
    Read the last line again, slowly) I know you don’t read too fast so I typed real slow

16. 2012 June 11 1:22 pm

Billy Bob

So what kind of tractor was it??

17. 2012 June 11 1:47 pm

A female tractor, what else???

18. 2012 June 11 2:15 pm

Heh. These days you never can be too sure! 😛

19. 2012 June 11 2:22 pm

EPA attempts another power grab — http://www.humanevents.com/2012/06/11/epa-power-grab-to-regulate-ditches-gullies-on-private-property/

Congress needs to kill the beast, not put another fence around it.

20. 2012 June 11 2:33 pm

Democratic handgun

21. 2012 June 11 2:47 pm

drdog09 –

When the EPA or any regulatory agency takes control, you can be sure liberals will be making the decisions.

22. 2012 June 11 3:42 pm

drdog09 #9 –

New York Educators Back Ban on Patriotic Songs:

Might offend other cultures.

23. 2012 June 11 4:43 pm

A bush in the bush is better than one on the ballot.

24. 2012 June 11 4:48 pm

Sorry. BUT when it comes to immigration.

JEB Bush is a damn liar.

George Bush is damn liar.

And George Bush Senior is a damn liar.

So, JEB shut the fuck up – because you don’t know what the hell you are talking about. When it comes to immigration reform – listen to Ed Meese who was special counsel to Reagan as well as Attorney General. He tells a different story.

But what do you expect for the Bushes. If it had not been for Reagan – the Bushes would have been remember as a Presidential candidate ONLY.

IF a Bush ever runs for President again – I will support and vote for the democrat nominee EVEN if his name is Barack Obama. Better the enemy we know than the one in our mist.

FUCK the Bushes – at least me and Jesse agree on one point.

25. 2012 June 11 5:00 pm

gn #24

+100

26. 2012 June 11 5:14 pm

BC, 22,

Well now if that `other culture` is offended they can just pack their ass back to where that culture came from.

27. 2012 June 11 5:41 pm

Back room at the NC Dim Convention — http://bejohngalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fly.png

NSFW

28. 2012 June 11 6:01 pm

LA Kings score three times in five minutes…..Call the engraver.

29. 2012 June 11 6:21 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Well, Jeb, JFK would not even be considered for Dem president. Actually today, bill Clinton would not be considered (or not much). Carter: fugettaboutit.

30. 2012 June 11 6:24 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

However, a bush in the hand is best of all!!!

:naughty:

31. 2012 June 11 6:51 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

North Dakota wants to eliminate property tax (ie the States perpetual claim on your property and earnings) – so naturally their is massive Elitest/Corportist/Statist pro-authoritrianism coalition dumping tons of $$$$ to stop freedom from breaking out there:

“So who could possibly be against Measure 2, which would enhance human freedom, private property as well as create jobs and spur private capital investment? Answer: liberals.

A liberal political action committee, Keep It Local North Dakota PAC has dumped nearly $600,000 in an effort to defeat Measure 2, outspending supporters of the measure by nearly 27 to 1. It’s funny that liberals don’t seem to rattle against money in politics when it works in their favor.

Their opposition stems from their belief that it will hurt the poor, single mothers, and children. This would seem counterintuitive because as property ownership would trigger more freedom and more job growth; something I always thought helps the poor and working class. Judging from the donations to the PAC opposing Measure 2, it seems it will hurt the National Association of Realtors who donated more than $100,000, the; National Education Association based in Washington D.C. which also gave $100,000; North Dakota Chamber of Commerce which donated $81,000; and the North Dakota Education Association contributed $75,000.

Other large donors included the North Dakota Public Employee Association, North Dakota Farmers Union, AARP, and Great River Energy and Basin Electric.

Obviously energy companies, the Chamber of Commerce, public employee unions and education associations are in it for the poor. After all if it wasn’t for obscene taxes on private property, surely anarchy would breakout in the streets; the zombie invasion has already started after all. It is a well-known fact to liberals that only property taxes that fund the police stand between everyday citizens and our faces being eaten by the zombies. It’s the model of states such as California that all others must follow in ensuring we find every possible area to tax in order to fund public institution.”

Oh, FTR, I am NOT advising Obama on anything (hat-tip to Dr. Dawg)

32. 2012 June 11 7:01 pm

While the Stanley Cup is being contested, and the US Open begins in the City by the Bay, and the NBA Champion ship tips off, the big sporting event here in North Carolina in the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament.

The first marlin over 500 pounds wins $250,000. In Day One’s weigh in, a boat from Charleston missed that cash by less than a pound weighing in a fish that weighed 499.3.

Wow.

33. 2012 June 11 7:12 pm

They should have given it a water enema.

34. 2012 June 11 7:13 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“If ever this vast country is brought under a single government, it will be one of the most extensive corruption.” –Thomas Jefferson

35. 2012 June 11 7:13 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

But how is this legal plunder to be identified? Quite simply. See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime. – Frédéric Bastiat

36. 2012 June 11 7:21 pm

37. 2012 June 11 7:50 pm

Kings win the Stanley Cup. JM will party long into the night.

38. 2012 June 11 7:52 pm
    Deckard permalink

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! First time but it WON’T be the last time!!!!

39. 2012 June 11 7:54 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

Judge Andrew Napolitano

The State has already redefined marriage by taking it over. Marriage was once a religious institution. Now it’s an instrument used to tax and regulate our social behavior. It’s quite Socialist, our institution of marriage these days.

40. 2012 June 11 7:56 pm