Eyewitness Account of Yesterday’s Shooting

2012 July 21
by JustMary

I came across this story last night on a friend’s Facebook feed, and it is something that I knew I had to share here. This woman may never truly know how many folks will be helped by her words, and for me, it was a refreshing perspective on yesterday’s tragedy. It also shed some light on some things that are going on in my personal life. God is good that way, in that you never know how He is going to use you to help others. Below is just a small excerpt, so please go to her site and read the whole thing.

SO YOU STILL THINK GOD IS A MERCIFUL GOD?!

Yes, I do indeed.

Absolutely, positively, unequivocally.

Let’s get something straight: the theater shooting was an evil, horrendous act done by a man controlled by evil. God did not take a gun and pull the trigger in a crowded theater. He didn’t even suggest it. A man did.

In His sovereignty, God made man in His image with the ability to choose good and evil.

Unfortunately, sometimes man chooses evil.

I was there in theater 9 at midnight, straining to make out the words and trying to figure out the story line as The Dark Night Rises began. I’m not a big movie-goer. The HH and I prefer to watch movies in the comfort of our own home…where I can use subtitles and get a foot rub. I don’t like action movies. And I don’t like midnight showings. But, as I wrote in my last post, parents sometimes make sacrifices for their kiddos and I decided I would take my fourteen year old and sixteen year old daughters who were chomping at the bit to see this eagerly anticipated third movie in the Batman Trilogy. Twice I had the opportunity to back out and twice I was quite tempted. But something in me said just go with your girls. I did.

So I was there with them, fidgeting in my seat, some forty or fifty feet away from the man with the gun. It’s still a bit surreal, but I do know that when the seemingly endless shooting started, as my girls were struggling from whatever gas or chemical had been released, and we figured out what was happening, we hit the floor. I threw myself on top of my fourteen year old who was on the end of the row, straight up the aisle from the shooter. In that moment, as the rapid-fire shots continued, I truly thought I was going to die. And I realized that I was ready…

Pray for their families.

1. 2012 July 21 7:31 am

Eloquent.

2. 2012 July 21 7:38 am

#1 Isn’t it? I read it last night, then I read it out loud to my husband because he wanted to know why I was sitting here all teary. When I got to the part where she said she was ready…I choked up so bad that I had a hard time reading the rest of the story out loud. I think that her story will help so many more people than just those looking for answers to the “why” of the shooting. Like I said, it gave me some perspective on things going on in the JM house. God really used her words in an awesome way.

3. 2012 July 21 7:48 am
    brucefdb permalink

The argument that there is no God because He allows evil has always amazed me, especially when it is used by people that I know have functioning brains. When someone uses that argument it is clear they know nothing of the Christian view of God, and that they have never seriously thought about the subject.

I love the part of this you excerpted, JM.

4. 2012 July 21 8:10 am

Bruce,

A more corporeal observation. Someone who denies the existence of God on the basis of violent acts is also denying the precept of free will in my book. If they have a deterministic mindset I usually find them to be more likely to be liberal. ‘I don’t know what to do translates to tell me what to do.’ in their life.

5. 2012 July 21 9:34 am

If we were all made as automatons, life would be pointless. God could have made robots, but what would be the point.

6. 2012 July 21 9:37 am
    judyt2012 permalink

I’m with Mary… I’ve been almost sobbing after reading this. All I could think is the Lord is ever present

7. 2012 July 21 9:47 am
    booshkindoggin permalink

I believe that anything that encourages people to consider God, or even the absence of a creator, is a positive thing. The Holy Spirit needs only an inquiring mind to do its work.

8. 2012 July 21 11:25 am

9. 2012 July 21 12:27 pm
    brucefdb permalink

The Holy Spirit needs only an inquiring mind

Alas, many will be lost.