If You Want to Live in a Symbolic Country, Cast a Symbolic Vote

2012 July 9
by JustMary

The throwing of tea into Boston Harbor on December 16, 1773 was a SYMBOLIC gesture. Important, but SYMBOLIC.

The clash between the Minutemen and the British Army at Lexington & Concord on April 18th, 1775 was REAL…it was not “symbolic”. The time for symbolism was past. On April 18, 1775, somebody deciding to ride on down to Boston and throw tea into the harbor would have been WASTING THEIR TIME (not to mention tea). Worse, they would have been turning their back on their countrymen!

With me so far? Good, because those time/tea wasters are exactly who this post will be about. In today’s terms, those time and tea wasters are 1 issue voters. What might their 1 issue be? Anything from gay marriage, to legalizing marijuana, to resentment over “their candidate” not getting the nomination, substitute one for the other and the result is the same. For example:

“I am voting for Obama because his position “evolved” to my position on gay marriage. He can burn this country to the ground. He can take away some of our most basic freedoms. I don’t care that there are more people adding themselves to the disability rolls than getting actual jobs. Why? Because I can marry whoever I want, by golly!” Their one issue is all they need to pull that lever. Screw everyone else (and screw them too, because they may gain one thing, but will lose much much more).

Again, you can take “gay marriage” and substitute it for any number of things if you want. Marijuana, social justice, race/gender, health insurance (don’t fool yourself, health insurance and health CARE are not the same thing), abortion, etc.

~or~

“My candidate is not the nominee, so I am going to write his name in..or just not vote.” [translation: “I am taking my ball and going home because I didn’t get my way.”] My “one issue” is this case- is my EGO!

What if the Founding Fathers had felt like the “one issue” voter in example #1 (a real issue) or #2 (a bruised ego)? What if they decided as a result to “symbolically” declare our independence? Or worse still, what if our Founders allowed themselves to be BOUGHT OFF by their “one issue” being resolved??

Note: two months before the battles of Lexington and Concord, the British Parliament passed the ‘Conciliatory Resolution’ which ended the taxation on tea for any colony that satisfactorily provided for the imperial defense and the upkeep of imperial officers (an easy bar to clear). Then AFTER the Revolutionary war had already started, they repealed the tax on tea altogether (Taxation of Colonies Act 1778).

Those fighting for our freedom KNEW that these acts by Parliament were merely intended to put the genie of freedom back in the bottle…and they fought on. Why? Because if they had stopped fighting based on a few concessions, or because they felt good just “sending a message”, then within a short time, the British would have crushed the resistance…maybe forever!

Now we have people who say of Barack Obama: “What if he wins? We’ll just win the White House back in 4 short years!” And so they intend to “send a message” by not voting for the one person who has a shot at actually defeating Obama!

Benjamin Franklin would say to the “message sending, one issue” voters of today, what he said to those whose courage was wavering in 1776:

“We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately”.

Obama is picking everyone’s ONE ISSUE off one by one…and if he succeeds, we will ultimately all hang separately! Your nominee of choice being listed by you in the “write in” section of your ballot assures that you are ok with hanging separately, because it says that you know how dangerous Obama is, but you just don’t care enough to do anything about it.

Look, is Romney my candidate of choice? NO. This election is not about me though, and I have to set my own wants aside on that “one issue”. I can focus my attention on ways to harness him, because, unlike Obama, he isn’t setting about to rule this country by executive fiat. Someone who respects checks and balances is better than someone who resents them, and that is the point. I can and will hold Romney’s feet to the fire. I can’t do that to Obama, because he simply does not care. He is a selfish ideologue who lacks a moral compass (or, worse still, has a “moral compass” that points straight to Hell).

Your symbolic vote for someone other than the one who can actually defeat Obama (or decision to “symbolically” NOT vote) is the equivalent of dumping tea in Boston Harbor on April 18, 1775…even as your countrymen took to the field. Your selfish vote for your “one issue” is not fighting for our country…it’s placating your ego. Four more years of Obama will see his vision of a “Fundamentally transformed United States” either fully realized, or so far along it will be impossible to reverse without bloodshed! You’ve got a chance to stop it in November, 2012…don’t blow it!

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace– but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! -Patrick Henry

1. 2012 July 9 11:29 am

/rant 🙂

2. 2012 July 9 11:49 am
    R.J.H. permalink

Well Said!

3. 2012 July 9 12:05 pm

Thanks!

4. 2012 July 9 12:07 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Excellent post

5. 2012 July 9 12:21 pm

Splendid, my dear!! 🙂

6. 2012 July 9 12:22 pm

Send it to all the Libertarians on your contact list….

7. 2012 July 9 12:46 pm

8. 2012 July 9 1:03 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Looks like Glenn Beck is raising the same point made in my post #7 in the prior thread.

Obama keeps lying and repeating the lies that even the WaPo identified as lies. People want to believe Obama isn’t lying to them. Obama must be relying upon this tendency to believe that we are worthy or respected enough to not be given lies.

Face it folks, Obama lying to you demonstrates exactly what he thinks of his supporters… Obama thinks you are stupid, you are ignorant, you are gullible, you are soft, and you are cheap. Obama has no respect for his supporters. Obama believes he can buy you off with his lies… his broken campaign promises.

This is why Obama is picking you off one issue at a time… he thinks your character is thin and cheap.

9. 2012 July 9 2:03 pm

Sc#@ the union! I am trying to save the city. All public employees now working for state minimum wage — http://www.zerohedge.com/news/scranton-mayor-minimum-wage-all-or-become-stockton

Lets HOPE they get some CHANGE.

10. 2012 July 9 2:08 pm

I’d love to see the abolition of public sector unions.

11. 2012 July 9 2:12 pm

JM, so would I. Too much incest between the union PAC’s and the Pols that are supposed to protect the public at large.

12. 2012 July 9 2:16 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

Ignore the idiot in the voice over as I am not sure he knows exactly what taking his government back means…

But it looks like the citizens of Mexico are protesting the return of the corrupt PRI. Not that the PDR did much for Mexico over the last decade.

Look at the video quickly, I understand that there is a black out of this news.

13. 2012 July 9 2:28 pm

Question….Will the presidential library of Barry Soetoro have any credibility? Will all biographical versions be there, or will we have a compendium of the “true and factual” story?

The University of Chicago has a lot of work to do unraveling this mosaic.

14. 2012 July 9 2:40 pm
    judyt2012 permalink

I hope that Barry is the first ex-President who spends time in prison. Maybe they can combine the Obama library with the prison library out of Leavenworth. I would hope when the details of his fraud comes to light that his voters are the ones who demand he goes to jail.

Hey, a girl can dream.

15. 2012 July 9 2:42 pm

Better than the nightmare of a post-presidency public life.

Clinton and Carter were enough.

16. 2012 July 9 2:54 pm

17. 2012 July 9 2:58 pm

That picture is hilarious. 😆

18. 2012 July 9 3:08 pm

I have not seen too many people who are going to bolt on Romney. In fact, I have read that third party support is quite low.

The problem Mitt has is that his campaign staff is starting to resemble McCain’s.

Most conservatives, like me, intend to vote for Romney but will be making donations to conservative Congressional candidates, who can influence the next President (hopefully Romney).

19. 2012 July 9 3:30 pm

#18 The ones I am seeing that want to bolt on Romney are Paulbots. Paulbots and some O supporters have their want for marijuana in common. This reason actually makes me wonder if that is why they are threatening to write RP’s name in…because they think Obama will give them marijuana. Kind of like when RP votes no on bills that he stuffs with pork knowing they will pass without him.

20. 2012 July 9 3:31 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

21. 2012 July 9 3:32 pm

JM, in re. #16…Obama really does deserve a “Participation Award”. I’ll run down to the trophy store and get him one of those little plastic thingees…if he PROMISES to freaking leave NOW!!

22. 2012 July 9 3:38 pm

“judy: Maybe they can combine the Obama library with the prison library out of Leavenworth. ”

Or Soledad. The way CNN is going Soledad O’Brien may be looking for work in a year.

Who in their right mind would ever name their daughter after a prison?

23. 2012 July 9 3:40 pm

Here’s Obama’s award —

24. 2012 July 9 3:49 pm

Obama tax policy writ small — http://www.cnbc.com/id/48120446 — Maryland in fact.

25. 2012 July 9 3:52 pm

#24 They must not be very patriotic. /lib hat

26. 2012 July 9 4:03 pm

Ha! Yep.

27. 2012 July 9 4:22 pm

28. 2012 July 10 10:36 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

Vote for Statist Authoritrian A (Marxist Authoritrian) or Statist Authoritrian B (Managerial Authoritrian)…….yep nothing “symbolic” about this choice LOL

“The few remnants of the original republic of our Founding Fathers along with our remaining wealth and liberties could easily be destroyed over 24 hours by a pre-planned presidential executive order during a future real or contrived crisis.

The Threat is the Same Under A GOP or Democrat President

Presidential elections today are meaningless reminders of an earlier time when it mattered which party or presidential candidate won an election.

It could happen just as easily under Romney as Obama.

Both are intelligent, family oriented individuals that make the best front men, crafted to put a human face in front of a mercantilist/fascist system of government controlled by a power elite that has ruled over the US since at least 1913.”

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. IMAO » Blog Archive » Obama to Receive Nobel Participant Prize for Trying Real Hard