DeMint and Growing Frustration in the GOP

2012 December 10

Many were shocked last week when Jim DeMint announced that he was resigning his senate seat to head the Heritage Foundation. But, should that really come as a shock? Since Reagan establishment Republicans have treated conservatives with disdain. Conservatives had to fight hard to nominate Reagan and every nominee since Reagan has been a moderate, who was a favorite of the GOP establishment. Conservatives were noticeably absent from the 2012 convention. Many conservatives supported Mitt Romney with their votes and contributions. Many others stayed home.

If Republicans had won big on November 6, it’s likely Jim DeMint would not be leaving the Senate to head the Heritage Foundation.  In a conversation not long after the announcement, DeMint expressed frustration with being a “Doctor No” in the Senate, that is, a minority lawmaker who spends his time usefully but unhappily stopping misguided legislation.  He also expressed a strong desire to become the kind of powerful force in the political world that is not possible for a Republican senator right now. In a move that stunned many Washington insiders, DeMint decided the path to more influence was to leave elected office.

“Yes, I’m frustrated,” he told me. “If Romney was in the White House and Republicans had control of the Senate, I would have had a chance to advance positive ideas, so there would have been a very different scenario.”  But that’s just not the case.  DeMint explained that he believes “it’s an important role in the Senate to be here and try to stop bad legislation when you’re in the minority,” but the election results made clear that conservatives face more urgent problems.

DeMint said many people were shocked that a U.S. senator would give up his seat.  But given today’s political situation, he believes he will have greater influence — not just on the public debate generally but specifically on the Senate — from the outside.  “I won’t be taking votes, but I guarantee you I will affect more votes at the Heritage Foundation than I do in the Senate.”

That’s the frustration again.  Facing defeat after defeat in a situation in which the most he could do was stop some bad things from happening, DeMint didn’t see much conservative vigor among his colleagues.  “I just believed that Republicans have not been reliable partners of the conservative cause,” he said. “I think there is a lack of vision and boldness that we need at the national level.  I’m not pointing to anyone in particular, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been in a conservative conference where someone stood up and just inspired people with a message of what we really stand for and what America needs at this point.”

The result of that continuing Republican weakness has been — no surprise — Democratic victories.  The 2012 results convinced DeMint that those victories weren’t flukes and might go on for quite a while if Republicans don’t change. “After the election it was clear that a majority of Americans believe the Democratic Party can do more for them than Republicans,” DeMint said.  “Yet I know, factually, provably, that conservative ideas are working at the state level all around the country.  Right-to-work states are attracting businesses.  School choice is working for minorities and the poor.  And we can prove that Obama’s policies, liberal, progressive policies, in California, Illinois, New York — you can see where they’re going.  We are going to continue to lose elections at the national level if we don’t convince Americans that our ideas are better.”

Hat Tip: Byron York – Washington Examiner

Can he fight more effectively outside the Senate?

1. 2012 December 10 7:17 am

Since the election, the GOP establishment and the infamous “GOP strategists” have done their best to pin Romney’s loss on conservatives. The fact is: the moderates in the GOP establishment own the Romney loss. He was their choice. They eliminated conservatives from the convention. People like DeMint and Palin were conspiculously absent from the convention and the Romney campaign (presumably because they weren’t asked to participate).

2. 2012 December 10 8:01 am

“Many were shocked last week when Jim DeMint announced that he was resigning his senate seat to head the Heritage Foundation. ”

Well till this post I was not even aware of it.

3. 2012 December 10 8:13 am

KH –

Well, are you shocked?

4. 2012 December 10 8:27 am

The moderates in the GOP have their stupid hats on. They know damn well that in the primaries the candidates have to be on the right or they don’t make the cut. They then swing left to try to capture the independents. (Dims do the same thing just flipped.) The GOP councils then assume that the shift is their indication that you must be a moderate to win.

Problem with the logic is that in most states independents cannot vote in primaries. The view of the consultants is flawed by this structural construct. It would be interesting to see a state election that is open to all, where the top Dim and GOP candidates end up on the general ballot. The results might be more conservative than most think.

5. 2012 December 10 8:30 am

I think a good move by Demint. In the Senate, he’s playing defense all the except for his Senate Conservatives Fund wherein he took the initiative to get more conservatives elected.

At Heritage, he can take his efforts to a national level. And perhaps breathe new life in the movement. I know the rap on Romney, but I will never understand conservatives staying home in an election against a racist thug criminal like obummer

6. 2012 December 10 8:47 am

3 – Shocked? No. One can only bang one’s head against a wall so much while being back stabbed by one’s peers so long before finally asking oneself why they continue to endure such. He’s completely out numbered with no relief in sight and doesn’t see the point anymore – I can’t say I blame him.

7. 2012 December 10 8:50 am

“Can he fight more effectively outside the Senate?” – Unlikely, just sounds like a gig to get a paycheck while still allowing him some sort of voice.

8. 2012 December 10 9:05 am

Taking an overly simplistic view for a few seconds… is a bunch of Muslim radicals killing other Muslim radicals in high number really against our interests at this point? Seems to me someone @ Langley should only be thinking of a ways to just keep it an on-going thing and of course how to keep it contained to Syria.

9. 2012 December 10 9:29 am

People are only energized if they truly believe in something.

The Democratic base was energized because they truly believe in stuff: free sh!t, wacky environmentalists, racism, amnesty, etc.

Other than the conservative wing of the GOP, Republicans have no deep-seeded convictions other than maintaining power within the party. It’s pretty hard getting energized about moderation and capitulating to Obama and the Democrats and knowing the GOP brass is going to screw the base at the first opportunity.

10. 2012 December 10 9:31 am

KH –

As Martha Stewart, every man’s image of the mother-in-law from Hell, would say, “That’s a good thing.”

11. 2012 December 10 10:31 am

Such bullsh1t, first these are optional, second if it was such an issue the folks would elected a state legislature that would create said other alternative plates, which were constantly voted down by the people’s reps.
    Unconstitutional my ass, and an example of the 90% of time i’m in disagreement with the aclu.

At what point to states just start ignoring things coming from the federal bench?
    Not that this particular stupid license plate issue is particularly serious.

12. 2012 December 10 10:34 am

First we hang all the judges,~THEN the lawyers.

13. 2012 December 10 10:43 am

First we hang all the judges,~THEN the lawyers.

You repeat yourself 🙂

14. 2012 December 10 10:50 am

Not all lawyers are judges.One must first scrape the shit off your shoes,then use the door mat.

15. 2012 December 10 12:49 pm

obama is really pushing his gayness onto the military reservations. To protect military chaplains from having to perform perverted marriages, Imhofe and Wicker present a bill that they can object of grounds of religious conscious.

I can’t believe it has come to this.

16. 2012 December 10 1:01 pm

Mullet –

“I can’t believe it has come to this.”

I can: U.S. public educational system … media … judges … sympathic bureaucrats … politically correct flag officers.

17. 2012 December 10 1:05 pm

The military chaplains should all resign in protest.

18. 2012 December 10 1:36 pm

Why am I not surprised at all.
    ..the meat is after the first couple paragraphs.

19. 2012 December 10 1:55 pm

random comment I came across.
    I’m in the 64%, not because I support weed or that I identify with the annoying “legalize it!” crowd, but because this position naturally fits with my constitutional conservatism. I support state sovereignty here.

The GOP should get out in front of this because it’s the only way young people will understand the states rights position…assuming the GOP still cares about Federalism.
    Daemonocracy on December 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    —-
    The dead party should listen up on this, I doubt they will though.
    I don’t see many co-sponsors on House Bill 6606 – hypocrites.

20. 2012 December 10 1:56 pm

Have not heard from any of the Kalifornians today. Do you think Kim nuked them?

21. 2012 December 10 1:58 pm

I expect Kim’s fuse was too short.

22. 2012 December 10 2:17 pm

Two 14 year old boys in Pennsylvania kill a woman with a gun and brag about it on Facebook:

I know what you are thinking: they are not white. You are correct.

23. 2012 December 10 2:56 pm

Jimmy didn’t nuke us…which means I wasted $6.99 (PLUS tax) on the can of spray paint I used to paint a bullseye on the Solyndra building in San Jose!

24. 2012 December 10 3:06 pm

Fannie Mae – Freddie Mac middle managers’ mean salary $200,000.

25. 2012 December 10 3:42 pm

Lord of the Flies — armed edition.

I just don’t understand how stupid they are to think that announcing it won’t get noticed. Cops and divorce lawyers cruise Facebook as a matter of routine these days.

26. 2012 December 10 3:47 pm

Would you believe a spying vulture? — http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/9734674/Vulture-spying-for-Israel-caught-in-Sudan.html — from Israel.

Probably a put on. Once released I see no way anyone could control the movements of the creature. And potluck as a spying regimen is probably not worthwhile.

27. 2012 December 10 3:53 pm

21 – Speaking of which I just got back from watching the red dawn remake at buddy’s house… I knew it was going to suck but jhc talk about a B grade movie. sigh.

28. 2012 December 10 3:55 pm

27 – Unicorns and spying vultures… quite the week. :roll:

29. 2012 December 10 5:27 pm
    Mr Evilwrench permalink

No more Facebook for me. Too many exes that want me. Bad. Why do
    I find that a bad thing? That just doesn’t make any sense at all.

30. 2012 December 10 5:42 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

Taxation is a MORAL issue – it is simply a “protection racket” enforced by theat of violence by the State:

“Roosevelt’s claim that we can judge the social conscience of the government by how it collects taxes is true in a way he could not have imagined. Contrary to FDR and Justice Holmes, taxes are neither a price (in the voluntary-transaction sense) nor club dues. On the contrary, they are exactions by threat of violence. Some social conscience! How ironic that organized society and civilization itself are said to depend on the government’s threatening peaceful people if they fail to surrender their property as demanded by politicians who presumptuously and self-servingly claim to “represent” all the people.

Far from some enlightened institution, taxation began when conquerors realized that formal and continuing appropriation of a subject population’s wealth was preferable to hit-and-run pillaging.

For this to work, however, the rulers needed to convince the peasants that the regime would protect them from predators in return for their regular remittances.

That’s right: It was a protection racket, from which the racketeers and their cronies profited handsomely.

For the taxpayers, there was little choice in the matter.

They weren’t buying protection as people buy insurance in the market, and they weren’t paying dues as they would later pay dues to mutual-aid societies. They paid or they were punished.

The ideology of benevolent state protection reduced enforcement costs because the ruled outnumbered the rulers and widespread tax resistance would have doomed the regime.

Things have changed little in our time.”

31. 2012 December 10 5:46 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“As society becomes more civilized,” Roosevelt said, “Government—national, State and local government—is called on to assume more obligations to its citizens.”

Note the passive voice “is called on.” Who called? Again, in light of the nature of government, there’s supreme irony in asserting that we need more of it as society becomes more civilized. One should expect the use of aggressive force to diminish as society evolves.

32. 2012 December 10 6:48 pm

Colbert gets the senate nod from 20 percent of South Carolina residents.

The 20 percent who get their news from Comedy Central.

33. 2012 December 10 7:29 pm

Funny thing is Mullet, would we do any worse by having him picked? Pretty sad….

34. 2012 December 10 7:41 pm

I know nothing about him, drdog. The thing that bothers me is that he is not a serious person. He is apparently doing it as a joke.

We got enough unaccountable jokes in DC.

On both sides.

35. 2012 December 10 7:53 pm

Obama has hired 101 employees a day, every day, since he took office. That’s 143,000 new federal workers making an average salary of $84,000.

And not one of them worth a shit, or doing a job that is necessary.

36. 2012 December 10 8:04 pm

bc3b – you must have missed my rant about Jim DeMint. I will say it again – good riddance to that piece of shit. If he is the best (or one of the best) the GOP has – FUCK THEM. I would rather go alone and prepare for the end as the GOP will sell me down the river faster than the Democrats.

Why am I pissed at one Jim DeMint. Anyone that can call Harry Reid their friend (which he did on Rush’s program last week) is either an idiot, a fool or in cahoots with the enemy. I can not say which BUT I wont trust him.

And while I am at it, I am pissed at Rush for not calling him on it. If someone had said that on my program, I sure as shit would have asked a few questions right on the spot.

37. 2012 December 10 8:06 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“Conservatives reject statism, embrace small government and abhor confiscatory taxes. Conservatives believe in a strong military for the Nation’s defense (not military adventurism). Conservatives advocate liberty and personal responsibility.

The Republican Party is now ruled by CINOs (conservatives in name only). I have been telling you this for a long time. The recent Republican primary, in which a gun-grabbing, pro-abortion Northeastern liberal progressive was promoted and depicted to voters as a conservative, should have laid bare the party’s true nature for all to see.”

38. 2012 December 10 8:09 pm

POST 37

DC HAS BECOME AN INCESTUOUS CABAL OF LIKE MINDED BUTT KISSERS.

39. 2012 December 10 8:28 pm

Syrian Rebel homemade tank — http://youtu.be/fB1BDrFzFY0 — Notice what they use to drive the thing…..

Pretty cool huh??

40. 2012 December 10 8:37 pm

drdog – will be real cool AFTER the first incoming round makes contact.

41. 2012 December 10 8:44 pm

Yeah. I can envison the guy at the game console pressing the `shields` button like a maniac as the HEAT round approaches. Too bad, so sad.

42. 2012 December 10 10:28 pm
    Mr Evilwrench permalink

Angles? We don’t need no stinkin angles! Man, you wouldn’t even need to waste money on a HEAT round; an M855 from an M16 or M249 would punch right through and rattle around in there. Just a few of them and the crew would be, um, deactivated. It’s one of those places that’s just better not to be.