A Coup Deposed By Grace

2013 July 4
by drdog09

It is worth reflecting that in the formative years before the Republic came to be, that there was what we would now recognize as a coup brewing of the existing legacy political infrastructure of the times. It was not reigned in by hanging, threats or counter armies —

For myself (and I take no merit in giving the assurance, being induced to it from principles of gratitude, veracity, and justice), a grateful sense of the confidence you have ever placed in me, a recollection of the cheerful assistance and prompt obedience I have experienced from you, under every vicissitude of fortune, and the sincere affection I feel for an army I have so long had the honor to command will oblige me to declare, in this public and solemn manner, that, in the attainment of complete justice for all your toils and dangers, and in the gratification of every wish, so far as may be done consistently with the great duty I owe my country and those powers we are bound to respect, you may freely command my services to the utmost of my abilities.

While I give you these assurances, and pledge myself in the most unequivocal manner to exert whatever ability I am possessed of in your favor, let me entreat you, gentlemen, on your part, not to take any measures which, viewed in the calm light of reason, will lessen the dignity and sully the glory you have hitherto maintained; let me request you to rely on the plighted faith of your country, and place a full confidence in the purity of the intentions of Congress; that, previous to your dissolution as an army, they will cause all your accounts to be fairly liquidated, as directed in their resolutions, which were published to you two days ago, and that they will adopt the most effectual measures in their power to render ample justice to you, for your faithful and meritorious services. And let me conjure you, in the name of our common country, as you value your own sacred honor, as you respect the rights of humanity, and as you regard the military and national character of America, to express your utmost horror and detestation of the man who wishes, under any specious pretenses, to overturn the liberties of our country, and who wickedly attempts to open the floodgates of civil discord and deluge our rising empire in blood.

By thus determining and thus acting, you will pursue the plain and direct road to the attainment of your wishes. You will defeat the insidious designs of our enemies, who are compelled to resort from open force to secret artifice. You will give one more distinguished proof of unexampled patriotism and patient virtue, rising superior to the pressure of the most complicated sufferings. And you will, by the dignity of your conduct, afford occasion for posterity to say, when speaking of the glorious example you have exhibited to mankind, “Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.”

General George Washington – March 15, 1783

Full text here.

By the sheer expedient of asking their forebearance was a plot avoided of the officers in his command. Sadly it was not till 1818 that most received some form of compensation for their service.

Therein lay part of the failure of the Liberal Mantra. They see nothing but externalaties, nothing of the soul of man. That evil does trample the land and that only persons of goodwill can stop it; not welfare checks, SNAP cards, or expansive government.

1. 2013 July 4 4:09 am

Perhaps these plotters weren’t so patriotic after all??

2. 2013 July 4 4:50 am

To their defense, the members of the Continental Army had been promised by the then Congress of the several states their pay, pensions and other remuneration, past due. The original instigator of the plot was never discovered.

3. 2013 July 4 4:51 am

Hope everyone has/had a great 4th of July.

4. 2013 July 4 5:27 am

Another one bites the dust.

5. 2013 July 4 5:45 am

What do you suppose obama will do with the six members of the Muslim brotherhood who hold sensitive staff positions in the west wing? Will the Egyptian military come get them?

6. 2013 July 4 6:28 am

Walker is a fool….

But I stumbled across this piece while I was at the site. It is frightening how accurate the prognostication is — http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/04/Tocqueville-s-Warning-to-America-The-Dangers-of-Despotism

7. 2013 July 4 7:09 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Dr. Key paragraph in your above reference:

I add, that they will soon become incapable of exercising the great and only privilege which remains to them….

A constitution which should be republican in its head, and ultra-monarchical in all its other parts, has ever appeared to me to be a short-lived monster. The vices of rulers and the inaptitude of the people would speedily bring about its ruin; and the nation, weary of its representatives and of itself, would create freer institutions, or soon return to stretch itself at the feet of a single master.

8. 2013 July 4 7:10 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

We could give our constitution to Egypt. We are not using it.

9. 2013 July 4 7:46 am

We can only hope Mullet. We can only hope.

Happy 4th everyone.

Question: will the NFL have enough non-incarcerated players to have a 2013 season?

10. 2013 July 4 7:56 am
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Well, he has certainly “transformed” the Muddle East. Now they all hate us.

11. 2013 July 4 8:04 am

Happy 4th everyone…we oughta rename IT “Memorial Day”, in memory of our fast fading republic.

12. 2013 July 4 9:04 am

RP,7,

I am afraid that could happen.

13. 2013 July 4 9:08 am

—–

The one that has always baffled me is how the NFL has been able to have any season since about 1980 onwards. Many of the teams have a fair amount of players on parole. And there is the ole nugget — “parole revoked for consorting with known felons.” — in this case the other team on the field. 🙂

14. 2013 July 4 9:14 am

guns10538_419315604849179_1967177857_n

15. 2013 July 4 9:57 am

Another giant of the computer industry has passed away — http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/07/douglas_engelbart_mouse/ — among his accomplishments was the invention of the computer mouse.

Update: Here he is demoing, 1968, what we now take for granted — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJDv-zdhzMY

16. 2013 July 4 10:07 am

My wife and daughter are in Indiana staying with a sister/aunt whose husband passed away last week and my son no longer lives home, I am catching up on stuff.

One of those things is writing to the Wisconsin GOP, advising them to take me off their mailing list (using their postage-paid envelope):

I loathe Reince Priebus; he makes Michael Steele look like a genius. I would vote for a Democrat before I’d vote for Paul Ryan. And, now that Scott Walker has come out for amnesty … like Chris Christie, I hope he continues what he is doing, but never seeks national office.

17. 2013 July 4 10:23 am

I cannot believe how bad ESPN has become. A few weeks ago they laid off about 400 people.

On the 4th of July one would think they’d be broadcasting one baseball game after another (or at least telecasting soccer). But, like my son says, every hour it’s 3-4 guys talking about the same thing 3-4 different guys talked about the hour before.

18. 2013 July 4 11:40 am

To all of YOU right wing extremists. From a poster on another site.

National Guard units seeking to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons were ambushed by elements of a paramilitary extremist faction. Military and law enforcement sources estimate that 72 were killed and more than 200 injured before government forces were compelled to withdraw.

Speaking after the clash, Massachusetts Governor declared that the extremist faction, which was made up of local citizens, has links to the radical right-wing tax protest movement. The governor blamed the extremists for recent incidents of vandalism directed against internal revenue offices. The governor, who described the group’s organizers as “criminals”, issued an executive order authorizing the summary arrest of any individual who has interfered with the government’s efforts to secure law and order. The military raid on the extremist arsenal followed widespread refusal by the local citizenry to turn over recently outlawed assault weapons.

The governor issued a ban on military-style assault weapons and ammunition earlier in the week. This decision followed a meeting early this month between government and military leaders at which the governor authorized the forcible confiscation of illegal arms.

One government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, pointed out that “…none of these people would have been killed had the extremists obeyed the law and turned over their weapons voluntarily.” Government troops initially succeeded in confiscating a large supply of outlawed weapons and ammunition.

However, troops attempting to seize arms and ammunition in Lexington met with resistance from heavily armed extremists who had been tipped off regarding the government’s plans. During a tense standoff in Lexingtonís town park, National Guard Colonel Francis Smith, commander of the government operation, ordered the armed group to surrender and return to their homes. The impasse was broken by a single shot, which was reportedly fired by one of the right-wing extremists. Eight civilians were killed in the ensuing exchange.

Ironically, the local citizenry blamed government forces rather than the radical extremists for the civilian deaths. Before order could be restored, armed citizens from surrounding areas had descended upon the guard units. Colonel Smith, finding his forces over-matched by the armed mob, ordered a retreat.

The governor has called upon citizens to support the state/national joint task force in its effort to restore law and order. The governor also demanded the surrender of those responsible for planning and leading the attack against the government troops. Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, who have been identified as “ringleaders” of the extremist faction, remain at large. The governor was Thomas Gage.

And this, people, is how the American Revolution began on April 20, 1775.

19. 2013 July 4 11:57 am

“You will think me transported with Enthusiasm, but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet, through all the gloom, I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means, and that Posterity will triumph in that Day’s Transaction, even though We should not rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.”

~ John Adams, portion of letter to wife Abi on July 3, 1776

20. 2013 July 4 12:01 pm

These were courageous and intelligent men in the most extraordinary of times.

21. 2013 July 4 12:12 pm

Excellent, gnqanq…as I’ve been saying, next year is either 1775, or 1984. We’ll see

22. 2013 July 4 6:28 pm

The Cyprus banking crisis explained in 2min — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDDPMw8VO0 — To paraphrase, `comedic but accurate`.

23. 2013 July 4 6:35 pm

And so the rumble of the internet world that KH alluded to bursts forth — http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/04/european-us-internet-providers-nsa — I would not want to be the US delegation to the next Internet round….

24. 2013 July 4 8:14 pm

The deceleration of independence as written by OFA — http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/04/designed-in-america/

25. 2013 July 4 9:57 pm

Drdog, the’deceleration of independence’ was way too close to reality…right now an asteroid strike looks like the best possible outcome for us

26. 2013 July 5 5:26 am

Viva Texas — http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/07/texas_rises.html — Maybe we ought to withdraw from the union and join OPEC….