Tell Me Your Honor, When Does That Occur?

2014 September 5
tags:
by drdog09

A Louisiana judge on Friday threw out a challenge to Sen. Mary Landrieu’s (D-La.) residency status brought against her by a former Republican opponent.

Baton Rouge, La., District Judge Wilson Fields dismissed the challenge, brought by state Rep. Paul Hollis (R), because he said the U.S. Constitution says a senator’s residency only matters the day of the election.

“She has not been elected, and if I read the Constitution, in its plain language it says ‘when elected,’ ” Fields said, according to The New York Times.

He said the court could hear a challenge to Landrieu’s residency status only after Election Day.

Source

The mental gymnastics this judge pulled is on par with the Abbott and Costello `Whose on first…` comedy routine.

* The challenge does not apply because Landrieu is “not elected”.
* Yet somehow Landrieu who is a sitting Senator is not considered “elected”? If not then why is she sitting in Congress passing bills Judge?
* So your Honor, what is the open window for a challenge? Seems to be woman who was bought pretty much is elected currently by your own logic. Or does she have to be `What` on second base?

Shakespeare had the right idea, just the wrong target. First we shoot all the judges, then the lawyers.

1. 2014 September 5 9:22 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“Washington DC – “We’ve got to stop ISIS… al-Qaida… Syria’sAssad… Hamas… Hezbollah… Taliban…

Shebab…the wicked Ruskis in Ukraine…those Yemeni Houthis…Iran…Sudan…Islamists in Libya and Mali…Boko Haram in Nigeria… the Red Chinese in Asia. Oh yes, and defend Latvia and fight the Lord’s Army in Uganda.

That’s the view in Washington where international police fever and growing hysteria over ISIS, the latest Mideast bogeyman, have gripped the nation, as elections near and politicians talk more nonsense than usual.

Listen to Republican windbags and you’d believe the hordes of ISIS are about to put Cleveland to the sword.

My question is: which “we” is going to stop all these malefactors?

To quote Frederick the Great, “he who defends everything, defends nothing.” To which we may add, he who spends on wars everywhere, ends up broke. And he who ignores domestic needs for the sake of imperial glory abroad is cruising for a bruising.”

2. 2014 September 5 9:33 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“I have cited five clear violations of contract law and alluded to several others. If even one of these is valid, the “social contract” is invalid.

If the terms of a contract are uncertain or incomplete, it’s no contract at all. And for one party to continue to seize the goods of the other, claiming a contractual right to do so, is criminal fraud.

The Real Purpose of the “Contract”

As with the divine right of kings that preceded it, the hidden and essential aspect of the social contract is to give subjects a reason to submit.

The obvious reason for the subject to submit is that rulers employ thousands of armed men, who are authorized and prepared to punish disobedience. This, however, isn’t really enough for effective rulership. Policemen and jails are expensive, and many, many more than our current number would be required, if fear was the sole reason for obedience.

For governance to work, the subjects must believe that obeying is the right thing to do, and that’s where the social contract comes in: It gives people a reason to obey, beyond a mere threat. It saves them from having to face fear or even to consciously submit.

Strange as it may sound, an effective ruler must equip his or her subjects to obey. It’s a fundamental factor in rulership. And that’s the true purpose of the “social contract.”

So…

By any legal standard, the “social contract” fails. That won’t cause any rulers to change, of course, but truth still matters to some of us.”

3. 2014 September 6 2:23 am

Re: OP

Told you this would happen. 😉

4. 2014 September 6 2:25 am

Unfortunately, the judiciary has been controlled by the left since the 1930s and is used for whatever political purposes the left deems necessary.

5. 2014 September 6 3:06 am

Some of this actually it’s new news, just finally getting attention\detail around it…

Not Even A Smidgeon! 🙄

6. 2014 September 6 3:15 am

Typo above it’s = isn’t

7. 2014 September 6 5:10 am

3, KH, you laid it down straight an true.

Now you know what I would do? I would have my lawyer go right back into court in front of that same judge and challenge Landrieu based on residency for the 2008 election. That is provided she did not meet residency requirement back then. Puts that judge in a box and his only out as I see it would be a statute of limitations dismissal.

8. 2014 September 6 6:32 am

this is flat out amazing…truly. So it ONLY matters during the nanosecond during which the someone is “elected”??? Immediately before, and immediately after it doesn’t matter…only during that nanosecond??

Staggering bull$hit…but par for the Demonrat course

9. 2014 September 6 7:13 am

BC,

I would tend to agree with 9. Fact the few times I do watch TV it is on one of the replay channels — COZI, Antenna TV, etc. Got an old episode of a western I don’t mind blowing a half hour on. But even this ole geezer watches most of the content I have off a media center that is a glorified PC.

My daughter and her friends watch everything off a PC, tablet or smartphone.

10. 2014 September 6 7:41 am

11. 2014 September 6 7:50 am

Cyberattack vectors — http://weaselzippers.us/198823-huge-cyber-attack-on-u-s-from-china-watch-live-now/ — You want to go to http://t.co/aKclKFHqwc . Please wait, the content needs to populate.

12. 2014 September 6 8:33 am

#11 My grandma wanted to be a model and an actress, and never had any desire to learn things like cooking and cleaning. Her ambition was to have enough money to pay someone to do those things for her…and she succeeded. She was in movies, and was even a dancer at the Copa. That’s where she met my grandpa, who was in the entertainment industry, and she never had to worry about money. She spent the years that followed going to fancy parties and practically living at the country club! All of my childhood memories of my grandparents involve record companies, housekeepers, country clubs, and especially in the 80’s- Jazzercise classes. LOL it was a different life than most of my friends had with their grandparents, that’s for sure.

Anyhow, because she had no desire to cook or clean, she never learned to do it. When my mom was a young girl, she didn’t learn these things, because she wasn’t taught. When I was young, I learned some things from my great grandma, like sewing and baking, but not as much as I would have liked to, because she died when I was in the 6th grade. The only reason I learned these things was because she was old and moved in with my grandparents…so when I went to visit, she made sure to get time with me.

When I got married, I could only cook 3 things well. Thank God for food network, or I might never have learned to cook at all. I was in career mode though…and I had decided that I was going to go the route my grandma went, to be out there earning money and paying someone else to cover the domestic stuff I considered myself to be above. It wasn’t until my son was born that I finally had the desire to be a homemaker. That was a rough transition, and one that took until he was about 5 to take hold. It was like learning Japanese for me…it was that foreign.

Now, my grandma wasn’t a bra burning feminist, but where I relate to this article is that these women mentioned are not passing along things to future generations that they need. Granted, most of these women probably don’t have kids, but the ones they do have will have to learn from outside sources how to care for their home. These people, once they reach adulthood, better hope and pray they learn how to be domestic, because when hard times come? They’ll have no other choice. I’m glad I had the desire to learn the things I’ve learned, and had the ability to pass them along to my kids. I am grateful that was stopped in its tracks! They are pretty handy, and as someone told me years ago, I am raising someone else’s future husband and future wife, so raise those kids accordingly.

13. 2014 September 6 9:15 am

JM, somewhat similar experience for me. My mom was a pretty good cook so my exposure was how to burn water. My junior year in HS I was pretty much self sufficient. My parents went to europe for 12 weeks. Sounds pretty cool till you have eaten the same frozen pizza three times in a row or the a hungryman frozen for the umpteenth time. I learned how to cook watching Julia Child in the afternoons after school and a show called Grill Masters on Saturdays. Whole roasted chicken on the grill is still a favorite of mine.

Cooking sometimes is a drudgery, most the time its fun. But it is an essential survival skill that people need to know. I truly believe that when the SHTF comes there will be some people who will die for the simple fact they don’t know how to do something as simple as boil eggs.

14. 2014 September 6 9:23 am

#14 I am continuously learning new things as well…like how to cook outdoors without my handy camping stove. Lack of preparedness (products and ability) is what will kill people when SHTF.

15. 2014 September 6 10:01 am

kitchen

16. 2014 September 6 10:29 am

Obama to delay any action on immigration till AFTER the election — http://weaselzippers.us/198854-obama-delays-immigration-action-until-after-november-elections/ — The man is a gutless wonder.

It also shows the depth that Americans have against fiat amnesty. If it was a 50-50 proposition he would have already done it.

17. 2014 September 6 10:36 am

17~~~~

I am sure he will go through with it, legal or not. The delay is just to save marginal dems from being trounced in Nov. He couldn’t care less about the legality.

18. 2014 September 6 10:47 am

#18 Agreed

19. 2014 September 6 10:52 am

How funny…my grandma has two imdb pages, neither of which were under her married name. Meaning…she used her maiden name and a stage name and wound up with two pages. haha

My grandpa has a page too, but I already figured he did. 🙂

20. 2014 September 6 3:35 pm

Way more attacks and heaver then usual for sure today.

21. 2014 September 6 5:43 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Judge Wilson Fields is a Black judge. Just saying.