I Am a Progressive Because —

2014 October 26
by drdog09

— I Love my Community.

spenser
Because I believe this so much I came home and after unpacking I —

* Rode the subway to do some errands.
* Did some shopping.
* Completed a couple of laps in the park.
* Went bowling.
* Oh and did all the above while I was possibly infectious with Ebola.

But it is so important that we share. Spencer’s travels are documented here.

— I Believe That Transparency is Paramount

hicox

I thought it important to let people know that quarantining people upon arrival in the US is a deplorable thing. So important I wrote an article about it —

I am scared about how health care workers will be treated at airports when they declare that they have been fighting Ebola in West Africa. I am scared that, like me, they will arrive and see a frenzy of disorganization, fear and, most frightening, quarantine.

I arrived at the Newark Liberty International Airport around 1 p.m. on Friday, after a grueling two-day journey from Sierra Leone. I walked up to the immigration official at the airport and was greeted with a big smile and a “hello.”

I told him that I have traveled from Sierra Leone and he replied, a little less enthusiastically: “No problem. They are probably going to ask you a few questions.”

He put on gloves and a mask and called someone. Then he escorted me to the quarantine office a few yards away. I was told to sit down. Everyone that came out of the offices was hurrying from room to room in white protective coveralls, gloves, masks, and a disposable face shield.

One after another, people asked me questions. Some introduced themselves, some didn’t. One man who must have been an immigration officer because he was wearing a weapon belt that I could see protruding from his white coveralls barked questions at me as if I was a criminal.

Source

I have been sending tweets too, just so others can see how I am being treated. Oh, wait do you think it is relevant that I should point out in the article that I work for the CDC like in this capacity —

applied epidemiology, biostatistics, public health surveillance, scientific writing, and working with the media, as well as emerging public health issues.

Transparency is so important you know!

–ooOOOoo–

First of all I tip my hat to these two for having the will and courage to enter a hot zone and do the best they can. For that they deserve our unbridled praise. True whether they are Progressive or not, and if you read their CV’s they are.

But given all of that, the ole saying “One Oh S!@#$% wipes out a years worth of AttaBoys.” applies here. In Dr. Spencer’s case he committed the first cardinal sin of his profession — Do no harm. In nurse Hickox case it is a little more prosaic, possible conflict of interest and no disclosure.

Now what I find appalling is that these are medical professionals. THEY KNOW BETTER. The best way to contain a pandemic is to terminate the spread vector, ie isolation of possible carriers till it proven they are past the incubation period. Is it inconveneint? Well sure. But a heck of a lot less inconveneint than if we were to have a million deaths in the NYC-NJ area. Here’s the other thing, in a Progressive State these two would be locked up. Oh wait! They are. So what’s the problem? You are getting exactly the government you wanted.

So how about this for a compromise. If you are anyone who goes to the hot zone to treat people, go with our thanks. All other provisions out of the zone are cancelled. But there is a little catch with a sweetner. You don’t get to come back directly. We will make arrangements for a small cruise ship (Yo Carnival!) under contract as an isolation ward. Its parked in a remote island off of Costa Rica. White sand beaches, free drinks, steaks and cracked crab all gratis. All we ask is that a third party records your temp twice a day, and it is a 30 day stay. If you became infected the ship has been outfitted with the best that CDC/NIH can muster.

And the taxpayers get some minor relief. What NY-NJ are preparing is not going to be cheap.

Bon Voyage!

[update] The nurse is filing a federal lawsuit.

1. 2014 October 26 6:53 pm

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

Works for me.

2. 2014 October 27 3:19 am

VZ on the fast track — http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/24/us-venezuela-economy-idUSKCN0ID00A20141024 — to prove that socialist economies don’t work. To their credit VZ will do in twenty years what it took RU to do in eighty.

Power to the people man! Sigh….

3. 2014 October 27 8:15 am

Justrand: 49-32/4-6
    RJH: 49-32/7-3
    drdog09: 40-41/6-4
    TLS: 38-43/5-5

4. 2014 October 27 9:24 am

Speaking of hospitals…

My lack of posting since Thursday is due to me being hospitalized for surgery. I’m back home, but will mostly be healing up this week.

More later 🙂

5. 2014 October 27 9:57 am

JR –

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

6. 2014 October 27 10:12 am

Hear, hear!

7. 2014 October 27 10:14 am

A political hack making the case — http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/opinion/begala-joni-ernst-gun-remark/index.html — against the admonition of the founders warnings.

8. 2014 October 27 10:29 am
    fight on permalink

JR

hope you have a speedy recovery, keep your blood pressure ignore the news channels.

9. 2014 October 27 10:57 am

Poles are moving troops East to Ukrainian border — http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_POLAND_MILITARY?SITE=INKEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT — “Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me ….”

10. 2014 October 27 11:09 am
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“I am a (pro -n0) regressive because I…..”

Like to use violence against innocent people:

“So it was over the weekend when Chris “Fats” Christie, New Jersey’s führer, confessed that imprisoning people who have committed absolutely no crime is the State’s “job” – though of course he didn’t phrase it like that.

Speaking of his kidnapping and caging of Kaci Hickox, the nurse who returned from Sierra Leone with no symptoms of Ebola, Fats intoned, “The government’s job is to protect safety and health of our citizens … I have no second thoughts about [arresting and detaining, a.k.a., quarantining Ms. Hickox].”

Sounds as if Fats ascribes to Karl Marx’s political philosophy; for sure, he’s not quoting the Founding Fathers. They never listed “protecting the safety and health of our citizens” among the powers of the very limited government they established, in large part because they understood that was the Lord’s prerogative. They would have laughed at the idea that so inept and evil an entity as government could prevent, cure, or even contain disease. No, the Founders who weren’t outright anarchists saw the State’s only role as protecting liberty, or, as Jefferson put it in the Declaration, “…to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men…”

But let’s take Fats at his word. Who among us will disagree that government excels at imprisoning the innocent?

Meanwhile, notice that no “second thoughts” about such cruel injustice trouble these sociopaths.”

11. 2014 October 27 11:16 am
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

“I am a regressive because…..”

I am bat-crap stupid:

“Hillary: “Don’t let anyone tell you businesses create jobs”.”

12. 2014 October 27 2:50 pm

13. 2014 October 27 3:50 pm

Which begs the question, was the dog going to college? If so the dog might be able to file a sex assault claim thru the school, even if it is just a kennel.

14. 2014 October 27 6:04 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

All your typical authoritarian “regressive” types in hilarious caricature:

I darn sure wish I could ever get this freaking blog to post pictures or jpegs for me….this is funny as heck

15. 2014 October 28 1:18 am

Best wishes for a speedy recover JR.

#12 – umm… yeah, I have no words, but I suppose he’ll claim the little bitch was asking for it. 😉

16. 2014 October 28 9:12 am

And when medical staff refuses to treat them, then what? That is the angle that few have considered. Dallas Prespy and the NYC hospital, had immediate `blue flu` crop up amongst the nursing staff. When someone calls an ebola outbreak and no one shows up then what? We going to force people to show up? Like modern day slavery?

17. 2014 October 28 9:46 am