“Incompetent people do not recognize—scratch that, cannot recognize—just how incompetent they are…”

2015 January 28
tags:
by drdog09

–David Dunning

“An ignorant mind is precisely not a spotless, empty vessel, but one that is filled with the clutter of irrelevant or misleading life experiences, facts, intuitions, strategies, algorithms, heuristics, metaphors, and hunches that regrettably have the feel of useful and accurate knowledge.”

Ibid.

Remind you of anyone??

1. 2015 January 28 7:15 pm

The paper that the quote is based on is — http://psycnet.apa.org/?fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/0022-3514.77.6.1121 The pair won a Nobel Prize in sociology for it.

Course I would imagine that the Nobel Prize committee members were the obvious avatar for the effect itself. Being as they provided a medal to Arafat.

2. 2015 January 28 9:29 pm

“WASHINGTON (AP) — The Drug Enforcement Administration abandoned an internal proposal to use surveillance cameras for photographing vehicle license plates near gun shows in the United States to investigate gun-trafficking, the agency’s chief said Wednesday.”

Interesting what a little sunshine causes, no word on all their other scanning operations.

3. 2015 January 28 9:39 pm

Filed under “I assumed as much but it’s thanks for confirming it.”

Details of the Communications Security Establishment project dubbed “Levitation” are revealed in a document obtained by U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden and recently released to CBC News.

Under Levitation, analysts with the electronic eavesdropping service can access information on about 10 to 15 million uploads and downloads of files from free websites each day, the document says.

“Every single thing that you do — in this case uploading/downloading files to these sites — that act is being archived, collected and analyzed,” says Ron Deibert, director of the University of Toronto-based internet security think-tank Citizen Lab, who reviewed the document.

In related news…
    Swiss bank on safe haven label to become world’s data vault

Course that doesn’t help much since the problem is getting it there and back over channels that are most likely compromised (nsa) and it’s being sucked up and shipped to utah for long term storage\decryption attacks.

4. 2015 January 28 10:41 pm

WH Drone thing solved… off-dudy drunken government employee’s self-admitted fault.

Random:
    If there’s something strange in your neighborhood. Who ya gonna call?
    Apparently the new all-female cast of Ghostbusters III, well actually not III that might have been more interesting, instead they’re “rebooting” it.

You know I probably was one of the few hoping for GB3 in years past (FU Murry for holding it up) but once Ramis died I gave up. Looking at this cast I’m thinking maybe it could still be “funny” but probably not the same way as the original which I think while a comedy had more too it not to mention a cast that knew each other well and worked great together. Knowing hollywood lately though my money would be on a complete disaster destroying another timeless classic in an effort to cash in on rebooting a past franchise.
    “Yes it’s true… This cast has no d_ck. “

5. 2015 January 29 6:03 am

To sort of be fair… this isn’t the first time the administration has mentioned they don’t consider the Taliban terrorists.

6. 2015 January 29 6:40 am

5, Just keep in mind that one does not have to have a d_ck to be a d_ck.

2, That second entry happened right here in DFW. Dallas ISD in fact. It is already being turned into a full blown witch hunt. These days, sending children to public school should be grounds for a charge of child endangerment. Some kid was dropping feces on the basketball court. That caused the whole episode. Question is what parent would raise their kids to even think like that? An alien of course. Take it from there.

3, Probably one of the few times that the government was practical. The cameras are too expensive and the guns too available to have both in close proximity to each other and have the cameras survive. 😛

7. 2015 January 29 6:49 am

I would also have to say GhostBusters was a campy kind of film series. Only works for that ensemble of actors of the period. The remake might be successful but it won’t be GhostBusters.

We are getting old my friend. The kids coming won’t even know there was a previous series of GB films.

8. 2015 January 29 7:36 am

SEX BY CHAIN LETTER……… IT W O R K S !!!

I never send chain letters, but this one works.
    You will be offered sex by simply passing it on!
    It’s incredible!

Send ‘OBAMA LOVES YOU’ to ten recipients.
    At least 9 will reply telling you to go f**k yourself.

9. 2015 January 29 7:37 am

This morning I saw the “Taliban are just ‘resistance fighters'” clip from the White House briefing…hilarious!

And though the reporter was from ABC, the network itself didn’t use his story…instead did a segment on Chia Pets (or some such).

The vast majority of Americans NEVER hear about the systematic degradation of our national will to fight our very real enemies…and degradation of our national ABILITY to do so as well.

IF it looks like a strong president will emerge from the 2016 election (i.e., NOT Hillary or Romney), then I would expect China, Iran, et al to go ahead and strike…figuring Obama has done most of the work for them.

10. 2015 January 29 8:02 am

Now this is a business that KNOWS its target market — http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/28/gun-range-owner-bans-muslims-business-quadruples/ — pun intended.

11. 2015 January 29 8:08 am

How long before holder files suit.

12. 2015 January 29 8:54 am

drdog09 –

The same was true of Major League, my favorite baseball movie of all time. There were two sequels and both were horrid.

13. 2015 January 29 8:57 am

ip727 –

How long before holder files suit.

I am surprised Holder hasn’t filed suit already as the woman who owns the range has been in the news for a couple months.

She has all the right enemies – CAIR, the ACLU and the DOJ.

14. 2015 January 29 9:14 am

IBM gearing for major layoffs in 2015:

Has there ever been a high tech company run by a woman that has been successful? Carly, Meg Whitman, Ginni?

In a former life I worked for one of what was then known as “IBM’s seven little sisters” – NCR.

15. 2015 January 29 9:32 am

US to enlist Pope’s help on climate change (formerly known as global warming until the temperatures started dropping):

I’m Catholic, but I can’t stand this guy.

16. 2015 January 29 9:37 am

We kept good company then. Back in my later GTE days we had NCR as one of our major IT suppliers. NCR made good gear and we had a excellent support rep. We were perplexed when NCR exited that market.

17. 2015 January 29 11:10 am

“A similar film of late was `The Equalizer`. In its own right it was a good film. But it was not the TV series by any stretch. Many of my students yapping about the film, when I pointed out it is based on a TV series that is much better they did not believe me. That is till I showed them a episode on YouTube. ”

LOL I had the same thing happen when discussing the film with someone else, they weren’t even much younger than me but didn’t know it had be a tv series. Yes we’re getting old.

18. 2015 January 29 11:15 am

16 – Who better to perpetrate the bigger lie theory?

19. 2015 January 29 11:17 am

NCR HQ not far from me, I didn’t even know that till I got a linked-in thingy the other day from some recruiter looking for people for them.

20. 2015 January 29 1:19 pm

NCR was headquartered in Dayton, OH from its founding until it moved to the Atlanta area a few years ago. It was a very paternalistic company. Until the early 1970s it had 20,000 employees in Dayton. It had two 18 hole golf courses, one on which the 1969 PGA Championship was played. It had an employee park with softball, canoeing and picnic areas. It also had the biggest pool in the city so we could watch girls in bikinis while we ate lunch in the summer.

In its day, “The Cash” was a great place to work.

21. 2015 January 30 6:04 am

A wade into the deep sewer that is militant Leftist practice — http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/01/29/i-dont-know-what-to-do-you-guys/ — Now consider, if these suckers are willing to alienate possible converts over code words, what is our problem on the conservative side? We should be actively thru conservative campus organizations reaching out to these converts for a willful intervention. A person rebuffed is ripe for change and there is nothing better than a political conversion.

22. 2015 January 30 6:58 am

“I sure as hell don’t want them to be less left-wing”

Therin lies his problem.

23. 2015 January 30 7:03 am

wine

24. 2015 January 30 9:47 am

25. 2015 January 30 10:58 am

The problem is not the recognition of the fubar that was created by previous policy but the fact that those that fostered that policy will go on to foster other stupid policies rather than being drummed out and having their head handed to them. Never to be heard from again.

Its the fundamental flaw in listening to NGO’s. They never pay for their past mistakes in either prestige or loss of funding. That needs to change. They need to be put in the position that they have skin in the game for the activities they espouse.

26. 2015 January 30 11:23 am

Another excellent Bill Whittle piece — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G76h9QPIw0c

27. 2015 January 30 11:54 am

Romney bows out of a 3rd attempt for the Oval Office.

28. 2015 January 30 12:19 pm

29. 2015 January 30 1:09 pm

29 – Darns. 😉 I was 1/2 hoping he would run just to help split up the republican\rino vote, then again I don’t see a anyone particularly deserving of my vote yet running so I guess it really doesn’t matter much beyond the fun theatrics of having Romeny beat up on Jeb and fat man and vice-verse.