Do You Still Consider Yourself a Conservative?

2016 November 30

Donald rump has changed the country’s political landscape. By the time he is done, he may have altered it as much as Barack Obama or Ronald Reagan.

One of the key things is that he brought to a front is the divisions in the conservative movement. There are so many people under the conservative umbrella and their ideas as to the direction the country should be taking are varied and often diametrically opposed. There is Conservatism, Inc. (people like Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Erick Erickson, etc., who make a very good living as professional conservatives), the writers for National Review who support the GOP establishment, neocons, the Kool Kids – fiscal conservatives but social liberals and sevreal other strains.

In addressing House Republicans, one of Trump’s aides stated that there has been a shift from Reagan conservatism to Trump’s brand of nationalist populism during recent years.

Take Mark Levin (please do) for example. Levin is strongly opposed to Trump’s policies regarding trade and securing the borders isn’t one of his primary concerns – just the opposite of typical Trump supporters. While Levin is an ideologue, most Trump supporters view themselves as more pragmatic, wanting what’s best for the country, regardless of political ideology.

Throughout the campaign, Donald Trump never campaigned as a conservative or claimed he was the second coming of Ronald Reagan. He campaigned on the issues without taking a strong ideological stand. It’s painfully obvious, however, that Trump is much more conservative than Hillary Clinton. Yet, many so-called conservatives fought Trump, knowing that a Hillary presidency would load the Supreme Court and lower-level courts for years to come and open the floodgates to foreigners, who would unalterably change the country’s demographics and move it far to the left.

1. 2016 November 30 9:26 am

For me, Sarah Palin was the wake-up call in the 2008 election. That’s when I really started questioning the conservative establishment and rigid ideology. Today I would describe myself as a nationalist/populist. I want candidate and a political party that represents middle class Americans, puts the country and its citizens first and isn’t afraid to give the rest of the world “the finger.”

2. 2016 November 30 9:34 am

In some ways, Trump may be more conservative than Reagan. Reagan really didn’t do much to stop the growth of the federal government, even after his massive landslide victory in 1984, when he truly had a mandate.

3. 2016 November 30 9:37 am
    President Paul permalink

Levin is missing a few screws

4. 2016 November 30 9:45 am

The more important thing is watching the GOP THIS TIME.

Years ago you would hear — “We need the Senate to do reforms.” — They got the Senate then sat on their a$$.
    Then it was — “We need the WH to do reforms.”

Well they now have the House, Senate, White House and the vast majority of the governorships on down. Their largest majority up and down that they have had since the 1920’s. I don’t want to hear any bitching from some CongressCritter that this or that can’t be done. Cause if you can’t do it now it means you never will and you Madam or Sir need to be Termed Out.

Git’er Done!

5. 2016 November 30 9:49 am

6. 2016 November 30 9:51 am

Miss Piggy retains minority leadership position. Guess she has photos on all of her caucus.

7. 2016 November 30 9:53 am

8. 2016 November 30 9:56 am

Nice — http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2016/11/30/espn-loses-half-million-subscribers/ — Which means the cable cos are getting creamed.

9. 2016 November 30 10:02 am

“What about you? Do you consider yourself a conservative? If not, what would you describe as your politically philosophy?”

I be an xenophobic,homophobic, misogynistic, nihilistic, militaristic, anarcho- capitalistic mystic, ~~~and all around nice guy.

10. 2016 November 30 10:22 am

Good list of “IC”s there, IP. :). I’m with ya!

P.s. How INSANE would ya have to be to be a “JetMan”?

11. 2016 November 30 11:39 am
    JBoz permalink

In answer to the question posed in the OP, I’m not sure anymore. I know what I believe, but as inferred in BC’s post, conservatism is all over the map these days. Maybe conservatism isn’t the right word any longer for what I am. I know I’m not a liberal, at least not in the contemporary use of the word. I think the battle line of conservative vs liberal may in fact be a thing of the past. The new battle line could be American/Patriot vs Globalist/Socialist/Establishment. And when you think of it in those terms, is it possible for people we considered just a few years ago to be “liberal” to actually fall into the American/Patriot camp? And conversely, is it possible for people we typically think of as “conservative” to actually fall into the Globalist/Socialist/Establishment camp?

Sort of related – I was thinking the other day about the Tea Party movement. That movement and the election of DJT have roots in the same place…an inherent lack of trust in large, powerful, centralized government, the desire to bring things back to “We The People”, and a recognition that liberty has slipped away and a longing to have it back. The TP was and is a real movement, and a reflection of the deep frustration of true Americans. Both political parties resisted it, one actively and aggressively, and the other marked by lip-service and passive-aggression. But ultimately, the TP sprung out of the deep seated feeling that Washington had forgotten us. The fact that the left so aggressively squashed it leaves me to think that they stunted the ability for a grass-roots populist movement to grow organically in their own party. But the need and desire was there, with Bernie Sanders as Exhibit A.

Donald Trump was elected because populism and patriotism found an outlet in the Tea Party, and it had an opportunity to grow roots. Because the GOPe was only timidly opposed to populism, but the DEMe was virulently and viciously opposed to it, no movement ever took hold on the left, and Bernie’s surge was too little, too late. Had the progressive establishment (Dem party, MSM, et al) fostered a parallel liberal populist movement instead of circling the wagons around big, centralized government ideology, we may have had a very different outcome.

12. 2016 November 30 11:56 am
    President Paul permalink

“No. Levin is being too shrewd. He’s out for himself and takes everyone else along for a ride.”

Or autistic

13. 2016 November 30 11:59 am
    President Paul permalink

world chess rapid playoff starts now!

14. 2016 November 30 12:52 pm
    President Paul permalink

This is a free stream. I am using the paid stream though on the FIDE site.

First game done…draw.

3 more rapid games.

15. 2016 November 30 12:53 pm

My test of my political beliefs.

I earned $500 today. I intend to arrange my affairs to the fullest extent possible to keep that $500. It is mine to keep or dispose how I wish, nobody else. Anyone wanting a piece of that $500 without fair exchange of goods is a crook (Pols, SJWs, Virtue Signalers, Scam Artists, et. al.). In other affairs I treasure my God, my family and my country in that order. Anyone intending any of them harm have to come through me first.

What does that make me?

16. 2016 November 30 1:03 pm

post 15~~~A good shot.

17. 2016 November 30 1:12 pm

Agree with IP! 🙂

18. 2016 November 30 1:16 pm
    TLS permalink

I’m a nationalist at this point. What’s good for America is not only good for Americans, but the rest of the world as well.

Apparently Jill Stein may be trying to figure out what she is now as well:

19. 2016 November 30 1:19 pm
    President Paul permalink

20. 2016 November 30 1:35 pm

Like this is a big surprise — http://lidblog.com/mcdonalds-reacts-to-15-minimum-wage/ — Nationwide. Suck on it $15wankers.

My only concerns are two fold. The first is, this is going to wipe out a massive amount of teenage job opportunities. Usually the first rung to learning what it is to have and keep a job. That has future consequences. Second is that this pretty much raises the bar on starting a fast food operation. WhataBurger prides themselves on starting as a mom and pop operation. This level of automation requirement closes that road.

21. 2016 November 30 1:41 pm

From one who has a wife who says “What’s mine is mine. What yours is mine.” She would look at that and say — ‘But of course!’. Then proceed to hand me a beer and home cooked meal. “What is outside the house He controls. What is inside the house She controls”, Russian saying.

22. 2016 November 30 1:53 pm

From Coulter tweet — https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/804056338930266113 — The true answer of course is that NYT is irrelevant.

23. 2016 November 30 2:10 pm

drdog09 –

“Buy my book. Buy my father’s book. Buy Goldline or whatever other scams I am pushing today.”

I think the same thing could be said for most of Conservatism, Inc. My guess is that most of them were secretly pulling for Hillary because a Hillary presidency would make them more relevant and richer.

It’s going to be interesting seeing how much permanent damage Mark Levin, the National Review crew, Erick Erickson et all have inflicted upon themselves. “We’re happy to let Hillary become president, appoint liberal judges and run the country into the ground because it’s good for our egos and out wallets.”

24. 2016 November 30 2:18 pm

JBoz #11 –

To some so-called conservatives, conservatism is unlimited H1B visas, open borders, no punishment for those illegally in the country, dramatically increased legal immigration, gay marriage, perpetual war (as long as other people’s children and grandchildren are the ones being killed), unlimited free trade even if it costs US citizens jobs, etc., etc., etc.

TLS #18 –

Amen.

25. 2016 November 30 2:24 pm
    MI Conservative permalink

Question #2

Do you consider yourself a liberal with everything that’s going on with the leftist in this country?

26. 2016 November 30 2:39 pm

Over the last 60 years of our country has ceded control of all major information, entertainment, education and academic institutions to atheists and modernists (who are de facto atheists whether they know it or not). In an atheist society the strongest atheist decides what is right and forces it on the populace. They lie with impunity because whatever they say is the truth by definition.

I want a return to the Christian values and natural law dictated by the 10 commandments that created the constitution. That will insure opportunity for all, regardless of current station, to improve their lives materially and spiritually. I don’t know if there is a label for that.

27. 2016 November 30 2:43 pm

I’m not much for boycotts but for this I will make an exception….

the problem is I don’t think we use any Kellogg stuff….darn. But I signed the petition! 🙂

28. 2016 November 30 2:47 pm

I haven’t really changed, but “conservatism” if that’s what you want to call it seems to have.

Once again “conservatives” like Cornyn likes to call himself get in the way.

29. 2016 November 30 3:05 pm

27 – Kellogg’s: #WAR – There goes my morning protein shake thingys.

30. 2016 November 30 3:22 pm

I think this answers the question posed by bc3b’s post:

redneck-girl

31. 2016 November 30 3:53 pm

29…I used to do those morning shakes (not the ones from hangovers)…..I switched to Powerade which I can get for 49 cents on sale……..but I liked those shakes for awhile.

32. 2016 November 30 4:31 pm

Here are the Kellog’s brands — https://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/our-brands.html

33. 2016 November 30 4:36 pm

For the Vets out there, whatdda ya think of Palin cleaning up the VA?? Trump is considering her for the position.

34. 2016 November 30 4:38 pm

War on Cash has consequences — http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-30/angry-mobs-lock-indian-bankers-cash-chaos-escalates-we-are-fearing-worst — The Deplorables lock up the bankers. (India)

35. 2016 November 30 4:38 pm
    fight on permalink

Not sure what I am.
    I want the government to stop telling me they know better about how I live my life.
    I want to live under the US constitution,not some living breathing adaptation.
    I want to keep more of my money so I can spend it the way I want.
    I want borders, language and an american culture.
    I want our laws enforced.
    You should use the bathroom that corresponds to the parts between your legs not your ears.
    What does this make me. See IP post #9

36. 2016 November 30 5:27 pm

brucedbf #27 –

General Mills is no better choice than Kellogg. General Mills was one of the first to run “gay couple” commercials and they are well-known for backing liberal causes. Quaker is part of PepsiCo.

That leaves Post Cereals:

Kind of like soda: Coke and Pepsi both promote liberal causes so you are down to RC Cola and Dr. Pepper, root beers and orange.

37. 2016 November 30 5:28 pm

Palin cleaned up a swamp in Alaska. She has experience.

38. 2016 November 30 5:36 pm

Myself, I personally have conservative values and traditions. Believe in the Libertarian view of live let live. If God did not impose his will on me, who am I impose my will on another. I believe limited government is the best option as it limits what government can do to you.

Like others, traditions, culture and language mean something. Thus the importance of borders. Add in limited resources, we can not sustain an unlimited and growing population. Again the importance of immigration and borders. My fear is that one day the numb nuts will wake up and realize they have 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. Not going to be pretty.

39. 2016 November 30 5:48 pm
    President Paul permalink

Jeh Johnson all but endorses McCaul for DHS job

“WASHINGTON — The outgoing homeland security secretary, Jeh Johnson, all but endorsed a possible successor Wednesday, speaking on a panel about future threats to the nation.

“I don’t know anybody who is stronger on border security in Congress,” Johnson said about Texas Rep. Michael McCaul, considered a leading candidate for his position in Donald Trump’s administration. But pressed for an outright endorsement, Johnson said: “I will not get into the business of publicly recommending to the president-elect who he should pick to be my successor.””

40. 2016 November 30 6:12 pm

Jeh and McCaul……two sides of the same coin.

Swamp critters.

41. 2016 November 30 6:19 pm

Dog….I have always loved Sarah……I hope Trump puts her somewhere that makes PravdaUSA have a nervous breakdown. The VA is fine…..but Interior might be more fun to watch.

42. 2016 November 30 9:19 pm

33 – The VA is fine, Interior or even a director of sub-agency (like BLM) with in it would be best fit in my view, and least headache for confirmation. Don’t get me wrong I have no problem making heads explode with VA etc, but if your looking for a “what real arguments are they gonna have against her” pick fits best elsewhere, again not that she couldn’t do the job. Word was also that Sen. Scott Brown and Sen. Webb were being considered for VA as well a few others.

43. 2016 November 30 10:53 pm

Palin as head of BLM would have Leftist heads exploding all over! Fun!

44. 2016 December 1 5:15 am