Do You Do Crew, Like I Do Crew?

2019 March 13
by drdog09

(Disclosure: author is a member of the educational establishment)

Update 3/12/2019 1:46PM EST: The complaint alleges that Ex-Pimco CEO Hodge “agreed to use bribery to facilitate the admission of two of his children to USC as purported athletic recruits” and, according to Bloomberg, he "sought to enlist the support of a cooperating witness to help a third child gain college admission". Hodge declined to comment to Bloomberg when reached on his mobile phone, reportedly only saying, “I can’t talk right now.”

And…

More than $6 million in bribes were paid, according to The Daily Mail, who also reported that "[Lori] Loughlin and her husband ‘agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team’". Loughlin’s husband Mossimo Giannulli has also been charged. It was also reported that Huffman paid a $15,000 charitable contribution. Her and her husband William H. Macy had planned to do the same for a younger daughter of theirs later this month, according to reports.

First off, if I was gunna pop half a mil to get my spawn into college I would pick USC?? (No slight intended) Hell for that kind of money I would donate to Pepperdine or CalPoly. Or shucks shoot higher, Haaaavard or Yaaale. Make it a charitable donation up front say 2,3 years before spawn is expected to apply then when the time comes claim a donor/legacy type admittance. A damn dumb move by the ‘parents’ which raises the question is the child that feeble?

This is the culmination of the ‘Helicopter Parent’ syndrome. You may know the type, parents that have the child on a schedule and life trajectory not of their own making to live out a fantasy the parents never had. I deal with it on a regular basis. The kid is OK, fact most do quite well but when it comes to anything beyond the subject matter at hand they exhibit symptoms of Stockholm Syndrome always deferring. I also note two other facts. One, invariably its mothers being the prison guard in such affairs, guiding Johnny or Suzie thru life. The second is rarely do I see this in single parent situations. I presume because they are too busy overall to be meddling. Sadly the result of Helicopter Parenting is a damaged person.

Growing up is tough and it don’t get any easier as one becomes an adult. In many ways kids are like butterflies. They start off as worms, morph in a chrysalis and bust free to fly away the beauty in the wild that they are. But science has found that if one frees a formed butterfly from the chrysalis the wings do not unfold the struggle to free themselves being the agent that forces fluids into the wings to unfold. Children are similar. They need a few knocks along the road for them to be mentally tough enough to handle their futures. Helicopter Parenting aborts that process.

True story. I had one parent threaten to unleash her ‘husband the lawyer’ on me if I did not help them out. (student failed to show up for class.) My first words were "Pity that. He probably makes $60k a year tops if he is lucky. But if you feel the need go ahead. Just have your husband remind you how damaging discovery can be when its made public." Fastest way for a lawyer to lose business is be known as a crook. Never heard from them again and kid did start showing up for class.

In the bigger picture considering the trillions in debt load outstanding, it is surprising that this has not been detected in the system much earlier than it has. Based on the way this has unfolded everyone up and down the chain were in on the take. Worse, this kind of scandal is just the ticket some bumble brain like AOC can use to advance free college for all. Do that and the system will collapse to being a worthless commodity.

I assume the schools have a letter outerwear with the ‘$’ stitched on it?

1. 2019 March 13 10:59 am

Other than women’s soccer and volleyball, these are fairly obscure sports that have really sparse attendance. I follow college sports closely and have no idea who the national champions or even better schools are in any of these sports. None are revenue producers or garner any media coverage for the schools.

Could it be that some influential friends of the schools involved (alumni and benefactors) that are into sailing, crew, etc.?

2. 2019 March 13 11:05 am

Comment meant for the previous thread. Talk about double standards: Dianne Feinstein, Kamala Harris and “Crazy Mazie” can question a judge’s fitness to serve because he/she is Catholic, but Judge Jennine gets her @$$ in a sling for questing Omer’s allegiance to Sharia.

3. 2019 March 13 11:12 am

Since fight on is involved with two of the universities implicated (USC and Texas), he’s likely to blame. I can state with great certainty that my alma mater (University of Detroit Mercy) will not be involved because no one in their right mind would want to go to that ghetto hellhole – not even ghetto dwellers.

4. 2019 March 13 11:57 am

I used to OWN a rowing machine!!! I’m going to contact Harvard and demand I be admitted there…on a freaking SCHOLARSHIP!!!

I’ll let ya’ll know what they say.

p.s. in a box somewhere in the garage I’m pretty sure I still have the RECEIPT!!

5. 2019 March 13 11:59 am

“University of Detroit Mercy”

There is a prayer in there somewhere….

6. 2019 March 13 12:06 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

I read that Pimco guy is quite the SJW, providing investment opportunities to buy into dairies in India in order to make money and help people, for example.

7. 2019 March 13 12:15 pm

In the early 1990s the University of Detroit and Mercy College merged to become University of Detroit Mercy. Smaller Mercy College actually became the tail wagging the dog as nursing is now the #1 major. The undergrad enrollment declines every year. Law and dental schools keep overall enrollment from dropping even lower.

Going there was my parents’ idea (although I earned my own tuition). I wanted to go to Michigan State.

8. 2019 March 13 12:55 pm

you want VIGILANTE JUSTICE???

THIS is how we will wind up having Vigilante Justice.

Ths
    is ILLEGAL ALIEN MUTT was arrested TEN TIMES after being deported…and the “Sanctuary City” laws in the People’s Republic of Kalifornia SHIELDED him.

Now, of course, the rulers of this fiefdom will all swear it was someone else’s fault.

9. 2019 March 13 1:11 pm

” … I follow college sports closely and have no idea who the national champions or even better schools are in any of these sports. None are revenue producers or garner any media coverage for the schools.”

You can add rugby too. Played it in college. But it was intramural at UofF and unsanctioned as being ‘unsafe’. We had 3 teams in house. As Best-of combined team we played FSU, UGa, Alabama. But we had beer at half time so there was always attendees :). That is all grown up now but still screwed up as there are too many conferences.

10. 2019 March 13 1:57 pm

Pot calling the kettle black: Meghan McCain attacking Scam Parents for attacking Arizona State, where the McCain Institute is:

Were her father not John McCain, would Meghan have been accepted at Columbia? Would she have been offered jobs at FNC or The View?

11. 2019 March 13 1:59 pm

drdog09 #9 –

I always figured I would enjoy rugby if I could understand the rules. I even understand Australian Rules Football, but not rugby.

12. 2019 March 13 2:32 pm
    fight on permalink

Doctor,doctor I have a bone to pick with you.

I can see where they use SC coaches and athletics as an easy entry, we have not had a professional athletic director in years. We keep using washed up football players for AD. The last three being Mike Garrett , Pat Haden and now Lynn Swan. I am hoping the new President makes some big changes.

13. 2019 March 13 3:02 pm

“I always figured I would enjoy rugby if I could understand the rules.” — BC

Only 3:

* When the ‘ref’, and that term is sorta loose, sets the ball, charge the line.
    * Any pass must be backwards. SEC lateral rules per se.
    * Dead men reside on the field, no subs.

After that its crazy men running combined with occasional dogpiles for the ball. Couple of pints at the half and nobody remembers the rules. 🙂

14. 2019 March 13 3:07 pm

fight on,

I sorta of understand. But here’s the bit I don’t understand. USC has cheerleader scholarships! From the pics I have seen the two daughters are hotties. I am sure they have pumped more than pompoms in their lives so I don’t why they would not be able to make the squad. 🙂

15. 2019 March 13 3:24 pm
    fight on permalink

DR,

When i went there all the song girls came from the sororities. Outside of admissions and athletics.

Much harder at least then to manipulate the system.Think mean girls on steroids. Now a days you maybe right. It seems anything is for sale now.

16. 2019 March 13 3:50 pm

17. 2019 March 13 4:39 pm

Is this just the tip of the iceberg?

* Are there 700 more “side door” admissions orchestrated by Singer?
    * Are there other Singers out there?
    * Will Detroit Mercy fencing and cross country coaches be indicted?

18. 2019 March 13 5:26 pm

I thought the title to this post was suficiently snarky, but this is pretty good too 😉 — https://reason.com/blog/2019/03/13/college-bribery-scandal-defund-loughlin?utm_medium=email

19. 2019 March 13 7:13 pm

Of course the Elites need to bribe their kids way into college…duh!

P.s, the qualifications of the USC Song Girls are obvious…again, duh!

20. 2019 March 13 7:50 pm

Something we have always known — https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/chart-e1552426058409.png?itok=ZovuLObJ — foreigners use public assistance at twice the rate of natives.

21. 2019 March 13 8:11 pm

22. 2019 March 13 9:13 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

23. 2019 March 13 9:15 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

24. 2019 March 14 3:29 am

25. 2019 March 14 4:40 am

On the containers… I remember following that in 2008-2010 timeframe.

Anyway also note cost increases due too yet more regs… ” It added that new regulations by the International Maritime Organization to cut emissions from ship stacks “will bring significant increases in fuel prices.” “

26. 2019 March 14 5:12 am
    JimNorCal permalink

Us vs Them story

The story began, “Nick Dugas left work at Paradise Valley Mall at 1:30 on a recent Saturday afternoon and noticed his SUV listing to the left.”

He had a MAGA hat in his truck. So she slashed his tire.

In Paragraph 24, the real story came out … Reporter Karina Bland wrote, “I wrote about Dugas last year when he adopted a homeless teenage boy he had discovered sleeping behind one of the retail stores where he worked.”

27. 2019 March 14 6:28 am

Agree completely with this article. It is way past time to fight back. The Left/Democrats/media cabal won’t start SCREAMING for “civility” until THEY take over all branches of government. Of course, they still consider their relentless attacks to be “Civil”

“Civility” is, by definition, acting in a “Civil” manner. “Civil” is defined by them as: “Anything we say/do is civil…anything anyone who doesn’t toe the Leftist line does/says is UN-civil.”

I guess it’s time for a “Civil” War.

28. 2019 March 14 8:31 am
    fight on permalink

I can’t believe I voted for this a-hole. And that I thought Ryan was a good VP choice.

F these rinos. As BC says rinos are worse than the libs.

29. 2019 March 14 8:33 am

fight on, just to be sure I ran the link regarding Romney through the Surprise Meter…here are the results:

30. 2019 March 14 8:46 am

“will bring significant increases in fuel prices.”

Sadly waaaaaay too many people will by that line. Actually “will bring significant increases in fuel USAGE.” which will probably not cause increase in prices considering that shipping use is in the tank right now.

31. 2019 March 14 8:53 am

“You have to understand that ‘American citizen’ has been debased to the point of where it’s basically like a Costco membership.” – Gab commenter

32. 2019 March 14 9:02 am

Other shoe drops in admissions scandal — https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-14/admission-scandal-fallout-usc-ucla-other-hit-first-class-action-lawsuit — Class action against a bevy of universities.

33. 2019 March 14 9:22 am

I think Mittens still has dreams of grandeur. If he couldn’t stand up to Candy Crowley, how in the world can he stand up to Putin or the Chinese.

What Mitt does best is acquiring businesses and breaking them down, leaving first-line managers to tell employees their jobs are gone.