White Privilege

2020 June 8
by justrand

On weeks where we serve Communion in church, our Pastor always says: “Now we will bow our heads and silently confess our sins to God”.  I am always tempted to raise my hand and ask for more time.  I have not led a life without sin, so the list in long.  But as I confess my sins to God, one category of sins I have NEVER had to confess to is this: I have NEVER treated anyone badly because of their skin color.  Frankly I have never treated anyone any BETTER because of their skin color. I have gone through my life sinning in other ways (that I DO confess to God), but I have never committed the sin of using the COLOR of someone’s skin as the reason for treating them any differently than anyone else.  How they treat me, my family, my friends and my country determines how I treat them.  And I have ALWAYS given them the benefit of the doubt when I first meet them…it is up to them to screw it up. 🙂

I have always found Dr. Martin Luther King’s words to be some of the finest ever spoken:
==> “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

Wonderful…but apparently woefully outdated.

Out: Judge people by the content of their character.
In: Pre-judge them based on color.

The crescendo grows louder every day for WHITE people to KNEEL (or prostrate themselves) to atone for the SIN of being born White!!  And a good many weak willed and/or weak minded people are complying.

I have gotten in numerous “discussions” with people where I have tried to argue against such societal lunacy, and, in the words of Simon and Garfunkel:
     “I get slandered, libeled,
      I hear words I never heard in the Bible

Really.

People who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about me, my life, my thoughts, feelings or experiences smugly condemn me for even trying to voice an opinion contrary to theirs.  I am (they assert with complete authority) a product of “White Privilege”.

I was recently told that
 “If we listen to people like Rand our great country will continue the current path of destruction.”

The “we” in that sentence refers to those who are awesomely enlightened and have pleasant smelling poop…of which the person pre-judging me is apparently a card-carrying member.  Then again, if you’re gonna be judged (or pre-judged) by someone, it might as well be someone whose $hit doesn’t stink…eh?

One more bit of idiocy making the rounds, and showing up on protest signs nationwide: “White Silence is Violence”.

I know, I know, you probably thought that “VIOLENCE is violence”.  Nope.  As numerous “enlightened” people have told us over the last couple weeks, any violence in the name of George Floyd is okay!  White people being “silent”, and/or not being silent but saying the “wrong” things, is true VIOLENCE!

The horrific murder of George Floyd was just that…horrific.  But then, the murder of 18 (and counting) people by rioters pretending to give  a damn about George Floyd is ALSO horrific.

There is a saying that has been attributed to several people, that pretty well sums up my intent going forward: “Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.

I’m done wrestling with pigs who insist I confess to sins I never committed, who judge and pre-judge me with no knowledge of me…based solely on my skin color.  No more wrestling with pigs who demand I KNEEL to atone for crimes I never committed (or contemplated).  No more wrestling with pigs who DEMAND I read from their script of approved words and phrases…or shut up.

I have the privilege of being born an American.  I have worked hard all my life, served my country honorably, and tried to NEVER abuse that privilege.  I apologize for NOTHING.
  1. 2020 June 8 4:26 pm

I have written about this before, but will place it here. It is NOT intended to make people like me any more…or any less. It is not intended to signal any particular “virtue” on my part…just to describe a little bit about how I came to be who I am.

I was raised to treat everyone with respect. “It costs you nothing to be kind” was a phrase I heard almost daily…I took it to heart.

By the time I went in the Marines I was already living my life by my simple rule of giving every new person I met (regardless of what they looked like) respect…and the benefit of the doubt. “They” didn’t start out ahead or behind anyone else in my estimation…again, regardless of what they looked like. They moved up or down…or sideways…from that point depending on our interactions.

Going in the Marines simply solidified my “rule”. On the way down to MCRD San Diego from the Los Angeles induction center (1971) the bus was crowded with men of absolutely every color, creed, nationality and ECONOMIC station you can imagine. I mention economic because my brother and I, though “White”, were what I would call “lower Middle Class”…my parents just never had much money, though they worked their butts off. On the bus we had rich, poor and middle-class…Black, White, Asian, and American Indian…and lots of combinations. When we were rousted off the bus by a D.I. with an amazingly loud voice and vast command of four-letter words, we still looked like a mixture of peoples, and in a mixture of dress from rich to poor and everything in between. It was pouring rain. We were hustled inside to have our heads shaved and be issued ill-fitting GREEN clothing, then hustled back onto the footprints. The D.I. then gave his “welcoming speech”.

Among the things he shouted during his “welcoming speech” was something I have never forgot…here goes (paraphrasing):
    “Look around” (no one did since he had ordered us NOT to look around earlier). “I said LOOK AROUND!” (we did…and then eyes front again). “Whatever you were before, whatever the men around you were before, you are not that now! You’re not Marines yet, but you’re not what you were. You’re not White, Black, Red or Yellow. You are GREEN! You are not rich or poor or anything in between…you are GREEN. Whatever class or group you belonged to before means NOTHING now. The ONLY thing that means anything to you now is the men around you…because if you become Marines they are who you will depend on, and who will depend on you!” (the actual speech went on for 10 minutes or more, and including breathtaking use of expletives inserted into words with masterful effect…all the while listing our obvious shortcomings as human beings, let alone potential Marines.)

The point is that I (and everyone else) was supposed to be shocked and terrified…but I truly found it uplifting (though I was as miserably wet and freezing as everyone else). I spent 8 years being “Green”…I was proud to do it, and proud of the people I served with who were as “Green” as me, regardless of what color they started out. It never mattered then, it doesn’t matter now. And I resent that daily I am now told that COLOR OF SKIN should be my first and sometimes ONLY consideration for how I should treat people.

2. 2020 June 8 4:29 pm

” I am always tempted to raise my hand and ask for more time.”

I am at the bottom of the 9th so I guess I would have to ask the Lord for extra innings to rumble through all my sins.

3. 2020 June 8 4:34 pm

“Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.”

Of course not. You shoot the SOB, shove him in the smoke house and have bacon for breakfast.

4. 2020 June 8 4:41 pm

JR –

Perhaps the leftist Catholic bishops and Francis are taking advantage of “black privilege.” By having a black archbishop in Washington, they can use him to openly attack the President, because we all know from the Obama years, to disagree with a black man is racissst.

5. 2020 June 8 4:43 pm

Minneapolis is embarking on a experiment that has not been experienced since the last Alaskan Gold Rush — no police force.

Prediction: Murders will spike but convictions will drop. People will make sure the perps are in the house then unload on them. There are only two outcomes: A) Homeowners run out bullets before they run out of perps. Or B) Homeowners run out of perps. I am betting on B.

I also figure that stock in a local funeral home in the area might be a good move.

6. 2020 June 8 5:39 pm

I lost another family member today (an in-law) due to my not wanting to KNEEL to political correctness.

We are at “irreconcilable differences”

12 months…max

7. 2020 June 8 7:11 pm

Sorry to hear that….

8. 2020 June 8 7:16 pm

drdog09 #6 –

While murders will increase, the crime I predict will really skyrocket is robbery (both armed and unarmed). Murder is typically a crime of passion. Robbery is far more rational.Someone has something I want (money, Air Jordans, etc.) and my life will be better if I have it.

All Minnesota’s major league teams except the wild (St. Paul) play in downtown Minneapolis. It will be interesting if suburbanites attend. There’s no way I’d attend a sporting event in downtown Detroit without police out in force.

9. 2020 June 8 7:18 pm

Drdog, it was a family member I never thought I would lose…it ripped me up.

10. 2020 June 8 7:24 pm

George Floyd;s Family Petitions UN To Disarm Police:

Floyd wasn’t killed with a weapon.

11. 2020 June 8 7:40 pm

JR –

We live in a bizarre time. The left refuses to consider any ideas they don’t agree with. They don’t make decisions based on rational thought.

12. 2020 June 8 7:54 pm
    The Ghost of Reason permalink

Council to discuss role of Chico police in wake of George Floyd death.png

13. 2020 June 8 7:55 pm
    The Ghost of Reason permalink

Welp Rand….. who’d a thunk it would hit this close to home this quickly……?

14. 2020 June 8 8:36 pm

Ghost…I was actually devastated.

The new standard is: “KNEEL and denounce your Whuteness…or we denounce YOU!”

15. 2020 June 9 2:51 am

JR,

Hold steadfast. When the Fog of PC visits them personally they might become a family member again. In the three ways to learn, your relation seems currently in the ‘have to learn it the hard way’ camp.

16. 2020 June 9 3:01 am

BC,9,

I won’t disagree with the premise of your observation. But I suspect that we are going to see the inclusion of a new category — Theft induced murder. I suspect the BJG crowd might be a bit more reserved than most in a use of weaponry (and woe if the trigger has to be pulled.). But we have a new class of gun owner who for the first time bought a gun because of fear. That same fear will be what, when fear becomes reality in someones garage, the magazine will be emptied and will ask questions later. I refer you of course to the OANN vid that was posted in the last thread as an example, only the ending is different.

Just a thought.

17. 2020 June 9 3:21 am

“Russia Demands US “Leave Syria & Deal With Your Own Problems” Amid Protests”

I won’t say they are right, look who is calling the kettle black comes to mind. But on the other hand you look around and you just might consider, they may have a point. I think we have reached a Peak Cobblers Shoes moment. We have been running around nation building for so long our own house is a freaking mess.

Adams in my view has been proven correct —

Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause, by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example.

She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force. The frontlet upon her brows would no longer beam with the ineffable splendor of freedom and independence; but in its stead would soon be substituted an imperial diadem, flashing in false and tarnished lustre the murky radiance of dominion and power. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.

18. 2020 June 9 3:29 am

19. 2020 June 9 4:04 am

JR –

Perhaps your family member read about this NY Times op-ed and see the Tucker Carlson video embedded. Then you’ll understand your relative’s actions better:

My guess is a daughter-in-law as 60%-70% of BLM marchers appear to be women.

If you look at the white guy in Tucker Carlson’s video he is saying that we all should be at the lowest common denominator. People who would have been viewed as total crackpots 5-10 years ago are suddenly taken seriously.

20. 2020 June 9 5:39 am
    The Ghost of Reason permalink

16 – Dr. D… except that whole pride thingy is a real bitch. To admit one is wrong is sometimes harder than the consequence of what they were wrong about. Just my personal experience with leftist family members.

21. 2020 June 9 5:56 am

bc3b, it was actually the husband of my niece…we had been friends as well as relatives. Now we’re just relatives.

22. 2020 June 9 6:28 am

At least it isn’t a blood relative.

23. 2020 June 9 6:51 am

good point, IP…but it was still a painful surprise

24. 2020 June 9 7:28 am

Ghost,

No doubt about pride. Been guilty a time or two myself and it is hard. Especially when ya have the epiphany of ‘What-the-F-am-I-doing-here’ arrives.

25. 2020 June 9 9:16 am

drdog, my last add on my in-law who used to be a friend…he was also on my list of people I could trust to have my back when the SHTF. And it will. I now realize I really never should have had him on that list to begin with. The “list” was small enough already…now it’s one smaller. 🙁

Life goes on.

26. 2020 June 9 9:56 am

Better to weed out your “friends” now, then wait to rely on them when it’s too late.

27. 2020 June 9 10:35 am
    JimNorCal permalink

TGoR: “Council to discuss role of Chico police in wake of George Floyd death”

Yeah, down here in Silicon Valley, the rubes are busy posting on NextDoor about which choke holds the police should be allowed to use LOL. Advocates of complete micromanagement, with no idea and no imagination of what the job entails.
    Next they’ll be advising surgeons and airline pilots …

btw, did you mean Chico or Chicago?
    I’m a CSU Chico grad, though from a long time ago.

28. 2020 June 9 10:42 am

29. 2020 June 9 10:48 am

Monmouth Poll: 71% of blacks satisfied with police. Not something CNN will broadcast:

30. 2020 June 9 11:17 am

31. 2020 June 9 11:40 am
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

#30 The Maoists wouldn’t care if 100% of blacks loved the police…….this is about replacing it with their own political thought police and instituting a “Cultural Revolution” reign of terror on their political enemies:

“The Left does not tolerate opposing views.

Instead, they will attack the speaker of opposing views and viciously label him.

I repeat, once again, we are living in very dangerous times. We are in a march toward Mao’s Cultural Revolution which led to the deaths of millions and millions.”

32. 2020 June 9 12:08 pm

The media has overlooked “social distancing” since the George Floyd protests/riots started is now concerned now that Trump rallies are about to resume:

We’re all gonna die and it’s the bad orange man’s fault.