Has Trump Folded on DACA?

2020 July 10

Here’s the script from Trump’s appearance on Telemundo this afternoon. It makes no sense, but has his idiot son-in-law – Jared Kuschner’s fingerprints all over it:

MIAMI – July 10, 2020 – President Donald Trump spoke with Noticias Telemundo anchor José Díaz-Balart in an exclusive television interview. Trump discussed immigration, his plans for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, the impact of the coronavirus crisis on the Latino community among other issues.

Highlights of the interview will air today on “Noticias Telemundo” at 6:30 PM / 5:30 CT and will also be available for streaming on NoticiasTelemundo.com and the Noticias Telemundo properties on YouTubeFacebook and Twitter.

Here are excerpts of the interview about immigration and DACA. Quotes are from a rush transcript and subject to change. Rules of use: Mandatory credit as “Noticias Telemundo interview.”

A full transcript will be available on request. Please email Kevin.Gray@nbcuni.com for a copy.

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

Mr. President, Latinos are on the frontline in many ways. They’re tending our fields, transporting our goods. They’re on the frontline in the hospitals and as many as 30,000 hospital workers are DACA recipients and yet you seem to be laser-focused on deporting DACA.

PRESIDENT TRUMP

Yeah.

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

Why?

PRESIDENT TRUMP

I’m not. I’m taking care of DACA. I had a deal with the Democrats and they broke the deal. The DACA could have been taken care of two years ago, but the Democrats broke the deal. All of a sudden they just broke it for no reason. Actually, they had a court case that slightly went their way, and they said, “Oh, let’s not talk about the deal anymore”. You remember that. We talked about it.

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

Uh-hum.

PRESIDENT TRUMP

The deal was done. DACA is going to be just fine. We’re putting it in. It’s going to be just fine. And I am going to be, over the next few weeks, signing an immigration bill that a lot of people don’t know about. You have breaking news, but I’m signing a big immigration bill.

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

Is that an executive order?

PRESIDENT TRUMP

I’m going to do a big executive order. I have the power to do it as prresident and I’m going to make DACA a part of it. But, we put it in, and we’ll probably going to then be taking it out. We’re working out the legal complexities right now, but I’m going to be signing a very major immigration bill as an executive order, which the Supreme Court now, because of the DACA decision, has given me the power to do that.

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

Just so I can understand better, so you’re planning to include a provision for DACA under an executive order?

PRESIDENT TRUMP

That is correct.

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

To give the 750,000 people legalization, at least temporary?

PRESIDENT TRUMP

No, what I’m going to do is that they’re going to part of a much bigger bill on immigration. It’s going to be a very big bill, a very good bill, and merit-based bill and it will include DACA, and I think people are going to be very happy.

In the meantime, we’ll put it in, we’ll take it out… I think people are going to be very happy with it, but one of the aspects of the bill, which, frankly, nobody knows about until right now, because I told no another reporter, so you have breaking news. Congratulations. But one of the aspects of the bill is going to be DACA. We’re going to have a road to citizenship.

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

Ok, so that’s…. that’s an executive order, not as a congressional bill.

PRESIDENT TRUMP

If you look at the Supreme Court ruling, they gave the president tremendous powers when they said that you could take in, in this case, 700 thousand or so people, so they gave powers. Based on the powers that they gave, I’m going to be doing an immigration bill. One of the aspects of the bill that you will be very happy with, and that a lot of people will be, including me and a lot of Republicans, by the way, will be DACA. It will give them a road to citizenship

JOSÉ DÍAZ-BALART

When is this going to be…?

PRESIDENT TRUMP

I would say over the next four weeks.

Hat tip: Telemundo

1. 2020 July 10 5:20 pm
    Eph permalink

Eyore is King!

It has been decided…

2. 2020 July 10 5:21 pm

This seems pretty damning. I am going to wait to comment.

3. 2020 July 10 5:23 pm
    Eph permalink

PS.

Anyone here starts to bitch about this and then run to left lurching Zerohedge for links gets an e-slap.

4. 2020 July 10 5:38 pm

As a child I couldn’t wait for SI to arrive. Then I only bought the swimsuit issue. About five years ago, I stopped buying that.

5. 2020 July 10 5:44 pm

President,” and I’m going to make DACA a part of it”. But, we put it in, and we’ll probably going to then be taking it out” What schizo crap is this? How can he do a “road to citizenship” vis a vis DACA and then “take it out’? Trump has lost his mind, or does he mean a road to citizeship for all the remaining illegals. If so he can kiss the next election goodbye. An exec order isn’t a bill. He’s doing a biden on us.
    He can kiss my ass as well.

6. 2020 July 10 5:48 pm

The trumpling is trying hard to lose this next election.

7. 2020 July 10 6:26 pm

Big 10 cancels all non-conference fall games, including some major football match-ups:

8. 2020 July 10 7:46 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

A word to the President from the base, seen on JustOneMinute blog comments:

Chip Roy
    @chiproytx
    ·US House candidate, TX-21
    Hey @realDonaldTrump – my advice: Do. Not. Even. Whisper. The. Term. “DACA…” w/o signing into law a full END to catch & release (Flores), Asylum reform, TVPRA fix (get kids safely home), & full $ for fencing/roads for actual hotspots instead of the desert.

9. 2020 July 10 7:54 pm

If he signs such he’s done.

10. 2020 July 10 8:01 pm

NBC – repeated total fabrications

An NBC medical expert who was brought on air nearly a dozen times to detail his struggle with COVID-19 never had the virus, he revealed this week.

After believing he had the coronavirus in spite of getting negative tests, virologist and NBC News science contributor Dr. Joseph Fair tweeted Tuesday that he had tested negative for the antibodies and that the illness that hospitalized him in May “remains an undiagnosed mystery.” Steve Krakauer reported on the developments for his Fourth Watch newsletter.
    —-
    None of which was disclosed during any of the 12 times he was on-air.

11. 2020 July 10 8:12 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

IP: “we put it in, and we’ll probably going to then be taking it out” What schizo crap is this?

It’s (the Spanish speaking branch of) the MSM so it is probably has plenty of lies and confusion.
    Still, here’s a thought I had.
    1) Obama created an illegal Executive Order
    2) Trump cancels the EO years and years later
    3) SCOTUS overrules him … (SCOTUS has become, as Don Surber said, a Marsupial Court)

So here we are today.
    In the interview, it’s stated SCOTUS gave the President powers, and that he intends to use them.
    And he says, DACA will go into the EO then be taken out. So, maybe–

4) New Immigration EO is created which includes DACA
    5) Theory: maybe “take it out” means he cancels his own new EO (or part of it)
    6) Now it’s up to SCOTUS to deny him the right to cancel his own EO

Let’s see Justice Roberts twist that pretzel.

Based on history, I’ll give this 48 hours to settle out before I side with the media and the Dems and the shrieking “conservative” pundits like Ann Coulter

12. 2020 July 10 8:54 pm
    Eph permalink

9. Thats it?

The King truly has zero competition.

Retirement cometh

13. 2020 July 10 9:25 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

More on DACA

Key conclusion: This clarification is good news but also troubling. It is good news that President Trump is not caving to people who loathe him and would never vote for him and create a program that would not only be illegal but which would convince voters he will need in November to sit this one out. It is troubling because November looks to be a much closer election than we would desire and, if one of the lines of attack on Joe Biden is going to be mental acuity, President Trump can’t be seen not to have a firm grasp on what his administration is doing on a critical political issue.

I’m not sure I buy that either.

14. 2020 July 10 10:24 pm
    mpt permalink

McCloskeys served with search warrant, police take rifle shown in viral pictures.

This is what a Soros funded DA gets you.

15. 2020 July 10 10:35 pm
    mpt permalink

I’ve learned that anything reported about the Trump administration is to not believe or get worked up over anything until an actual document is signed. For better or worse, Trump has a habit of thinking out loud and only a small percentage of his thoughts, either good or bad, get put into action.

16. 2020 July 11 1:18 am

17. 2020 July 11 1:20 am

12 – ? Not sure what you’re looking for?

18. 2020 July 11 1:34 am
    Eph permalink

17.
    Was expecting full on Eyore.!!

Get with the program KH

19. 2020 July 11 3:34 am

Phili mayor… unilaterally says all citations from cops relating to any of the “protests” will be dropped.

20. 2020 July 11 4:01 am

“SCOTUS gave the President powers.” Bravo sierra, the court can’t “give” the power to a prez to over ride legislation already on the books. Trump may have caught the biden disease. He had better stop listening to his lefty son in law kushner, or he will become a one termer.

I say again if this is true, fuk him and WBF as well.

21. 2020 July 11 4:37 am

A closer election than first thought? Probably so.

This may be a political calculation weighing a stronger Hispanic vote against the possible conservative vote that may stay home. Ill-advised, maybe.

He has to overcome the fervor of the BLM protest and the disastrous polling relative to his handling of Covid. Guv Cuomo has significantly better p9ls than Trump, and his policies killed 5,000 old folks. How did that happen? Media darling, for sure.

IDK. Trump’s voters (conservatives, evangelicals, Asians, Cubans, Whites, Confederates, seniors, logical people of all stripes, and what not) got no place to go. Certainly not to a bumbling old liberal fool being used by the marxists.

22. 2020 July 11 5:38 am

mpt, 12,

Bingo! I said that if Trump won POTUS it would never be an administration of calm demeanor. Just a glance at the man’s business dealings is the tell. He has been known to go thru 4 contractors to get a single building constructed. Till it says “Trump” on the document don’t believe a word of it.

23. 2020 July 11 5:56 am

Some gems in this week’s TWIP….

24. 2020 July 11 6:16 am

Remember, if Trump says: “Ice cream is tasty”, the Democrats have to immediately BAN ice cream, and Nancy would have to empty her freezer

I wanna wait and see what actually transpires 🙂

25. 2020 July 11 6:39 am

Eyore is King!

It has been decided

Not by a long shot. If trump shoves DACA up our ass, I will make EPH/eyore look like a lace pantied pansy.

26. 2020 July 11 7:28 am

“If trump shoves DACA up our ass, I will make EPH/eyore look like a lace pantied pansy.”

Especially if he passes it and WE still have the guy win a 2nd term.

27. 2020 July 11 7:35 am

The press is of course ‘all in’ for Biden…..

But what if it was not purely political purposes? — https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/07/in-the-flynn-case-more-exculpatory-evidence.php

The best thing that the MSM could hope for is Biden. Having Biden as POTUS preempts the entire off-book witch hunt against the press by the White House should Trump win a second term. They have survival in mind as much as a political win.

28. 2020 July 11 7:41 am

Drdog, I wish the media WAS worried about their survival, but I think they know how easily they can manipulate the American public, and thus figure they weather any storm of actual truth that surfaces.

29. 2020 July 11 9:06 am
    fight on permalink

I would not mind if Trump fired Wray and replaced him with Grenell at the FBI.

30. 2020 July 11 9:55 am
    JimNorCal permalink

A roundup of links here on the topic of Sports Illustrated swim suit edition.

AND THE ANSWER IS NONE. NONE MORE WOKE:
    Valentina Sampaio is first transgender Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model.

Earlier:

● Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue to Feature 56-Year-Old, Plus Sized, and Bald Finalists.

● Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Embraces #MeToo Era.

● Halima Aden Makes History as the First Model to Wear a Hijab and Burkini in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.

Regarding that last item, as America’s Newspaper of Record (Babylon Bee) noted at the time: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Features First-Ever Baptist Model In Floor-Length Denim Skirt.

31. 2020 July 11 10:30 am
    JimNorCal permalink

Lots more memes in the TWIP comment section for anyone who didn’t get enough.

32. 2020 July 11 10:53 am

If the SCOTUS can “give” a pres the power to overturn legislation by exec order, then we no longer have a separate but equal system of gubmint. While I have no use for the present legislature, what is the point of electing representatives (a republic) , if all we wind up with is an oligarchy of nine old farts and an offal orifice seat warmer. Reversing an erroneous exec order by a previous dipshit is one thing, but legislating via exec order as a matter of course, is
    to make a mockery of a republican form of gubmint. IMHO

33. 2020 July 11 11:22 am

21 – 1-2% of those you mention decide to stay home in the right states he loses in 2016 and definitely in 2020. He’s playing with fire.

31 – Yet any replacement of Wray hasn’t happened, another massive frustration, I thought it might be because he was waiting for the 150 day clock on the interim appointments stuff so that who ever it was would be in place though election day, but that time has passed in the last couple weeks. I’m all out of excuses for Trump and patience on that front. Wray should have been tossed months after he was hired because it was clear very very early he was no better than his predecessor, and ru ru ru mule crap and insanity was over by last summer.

34. 2020 July 11 11:24 am

30 – Indeed, they all been past the point of caring for years now, some outlets for decades plus now, none of them even pretend anymore.

35. 2020 July 11 12:05 pm

Good.

Also… I’d like to say good on the Goya CEO, but I think I’ll give it a week, because so many seem to cave and wilt after a couple days of BS instead of just toughing it out a couple weeks till the noise moves on to some other insanity.

36. 2020 July 11 12:36 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

People say Goya can stick it out because they are a private company.
    It’s hard to bring pressure to bear via Dem controlled institutions.

Do they have stores? Or just products? Where would I look to buy their products?

37. 2020 July 11 2:17 pm

Look under latin or hispanic sections in the grocery. The gutless chain stores have probably been forced to take down their products.

38. 2020 July 11 3:08 pm

39 – Private and if I’m not mistaken still majority owned by founding family so not like someone can easily push him out as ceo, I mean there is always a way long term, but short term not so much.

40 – Well they were in a chain I visited Friday, I’ll look again in a week or two, tbh I don’t think said chains can really afford to just yank Goya it’s a pr nightmare with the wrong group, then again they’ve been all about pr nightmares of late so who knows. I still can’t believe land-o-lakes changed their fucking logo, it’s such a petty thing but it pisses me off every time I go shopping… and I don’t buy it anymore cause of their weakness as I don’t so many other products I used too, pickings are getting slim. All it really takes to stop majority of this is for a dozen to just politely tell people to go fuck themselves like Goya guy did, unfortunately with the ridiculous levels of consolidation\borderline monopolies out there public and private I doubt it will happen.

39. 2020 July 11 3:26 pm

I posted this on FB a few minutes ago. It is obviously NOT intended for BJG’ers but thought ya’ll might “enjoy” it. It was in response to yet another “White” person (one I happen to know personally) suddenly discovering they had lived a life of “White Privilege”…and must atone for it! They “discovered” this when their 30 year old daughter convinced them of it. I knew they were always “leaning Left”, but now they are full on BLM fanatics. The following was aimed at them (the whole family)
    ___________________________________

** Privilege **

Who has more “privilege”, the daughters of Barack Obama who happen to be Black, or the daughters of a poor single mother in the Appalachian Mountains who happen to be White?

Once upon a time, in some parts of the country, White children enjoyed some level of “privilege” over Black children almost regardless of their financial station. That situation no longer exists…certainly not systemically, as is claimed.

Privilege still exists, but it is CLASS based, Upper/Middle/Lower…and all races exist in all Classes. Sadly, way too many Black Americans live in Democrat controlled cities, and since they refuse to vote out the bastards who control those cities, they all too often remain locked in cycles of poverty and broken families.

Until the mid-1960s Black men & women were slightly MORE likely be married than White men & women. Then Lyndon Johnson’s “Great Society” kicked into gear, and Black families began a VERY steep decline. The programs of the “Great Society” actually encouraged people to remain in the inner cities, receiving welfare and other benefits. The Black families in those cities began to crumble. Unwed pregnancies skyrocketed, as did abortions and crime. Election after election the Democrat Party promised “change”…and delivered none. A constituency taken for granted.

** Fear **

It is claimed that White children do not live in fear like Black children do. It is stated JUST LIKE THAT. No disclaimer of “some” White children do not live in the same degree of fear that “some” Black children do.

Nope.

Freedom from fear is assumed by people railing against “White Privilege” to be something all White children enjoy…while all Black children live in terror. The word for people who make such statements against whole groups of people based on the color of their skin is: “Prejudice”. Consider again the example of the children of Barack Obama versus the children of a single mother in Appalachia and ask yourself who has more to fear from life.

If it seems like I am beyond tired of people attaching SKIN COLOR to every opinion they have, and every action they take, then you are correct!

If the Democrats gave a DAMN about Black lives they would fix the inner cities…their fiefdoms. But they Do.Not.Care. …except as those lives continue to grant them POWER.

I grew up with the “privilege” of two parents, who worked hard their whole lives, with little ever to show for it. They instilled in me a work ethic, and the absolute unbreakable rule that I was to ALWAYS treat anybody I met, of ANY color, creed or religion (or other characteristic) with respect and the benefit of the doubt…until and unless an individual did something that indicated they didn’t deserve respect and/or the benefit of the doubt. I was raised to be polite…not suicidal.

My skin color NEVER benefited me. Had I grown up in the Deep South in the 1950s and 1960s it might have…but I didn’t. Thus I have ZERO guilt for something I NEVER had. I worked hard from the time I was 15 (earlier if you consider paper-routes, cutting grass, etc) until I retired. Hell, I still work hard.

Those of you out there suddenly feeling you must make amends for your “White Privilege” must have grown up basking in it. I will leave you to your keening, kneeling and apologizing. Let me know when you feel you have atoned for your “sins”, or have been granted absolution from BLM, Antifa and the rest. Good luck.

40. 2020 July 11 3:58 pm
    mpt permalink

Justrand, that’s I nice read. Particularly about it really being about power. Who has it and who doesn’t. However, in regards to posting it to Facebook I have the feeling it’s “casting pearls before swine”. I almost completely stopped engaging anyone with regards to political talk anymore because it seems like a complete waste of time.

Recently I engaged a co-worker in a discussion when he asked me why I was not a supporter of the BLM movement. First, I explained to him that in my opinion, BLM was just a rehashing of failed Marxist doctrine running under the cover of a thin veneer of racial social justice. A wolf in sheep’s clothing so to speak. Second, BLM is a betrayal of everything I was raised to believe regarding the rejection of racially-based identity politics and to judge people not by the color of their skin, but rather the content of their character. However, those ideals, are now considered racist. If society is devolving to again put a persons race, first and foremost, as their social identity, then I want no part of it.

From the look on my co-workers’ face after saying this it was as if I was talking to an alien. There was simply no common grounds upon which the divide between our world views could be bridged. The experience just reinforced in reinforced in me the belief the left must be defeated, not reasoned with.

41. 2020 July 11 4:59 pm

MPT, I like to think that if my diatribes reach just one or two people, and get them to have doubts, then it is worth casting those “pearls”

In the case of that one I got ONE person to start asking questions. Of course, the mob will turn on her soon.

42. 2020 July 11 5:07 pm

Why would you tweet or r-t that? I presume it’s to get the left even more on his ass and cause the attention seeking KW to lash out, but still…

43. 2020 July 11 5:10 pm

45 – They are both shit from my understanding, that said, Sessions had his time, he gave up his seat so he could help destroy what was left of the republic, was pretty successful at that, and still defends rosenfuck to this day, fuck him. I heard that Tucker C is still defending this pos, even if the other guy is a wolf in sheeps clothing too doesn’t make sessions look any better and Carlson should know better by now.

44. 2020 July 11 5:29 pm
    Eph permalink

Thats why Jones easily beats both

-The King is the King

…and does it in very few words

45. 2020 July 11 7:40 pm

The same poll also shows in a head to head matchup, Tuberville leading Democratic incumbent Senator Doug Jones with 44 percent, compared to Jones with 35 percent

46. 2020 July 11 8:49 pm
    Eph permalink

IP,

Youre making Eyore life very difficult.