Sometimes Even Liberals Aren’t Woke Enough

2020 July 14

Liberal Bari Weiss (former NY Times opinion editor) scorches the paper in her resignation letter. Unfortunately, the New York Times, like CNN and the rest of the leftist media cares little about balance, truth, objectivity or even its credibility.

Apparently, while a liberal, Bari wasn’t woke enough.

Dear A.G.,

It is with sadness that I write to tell you that I am resigning from The New York Times.

I joined the paper with gratitude and optimism three years ago. I was hired with the goal of bringing in voices that would not otherwise appear in your pages: first-time writers, centrists, conservatives and others who would not naturally think of The Times as their home. The reason for this effort was clear: The paper’s failure to anticipate the outcome of the 2016 election meant that it didn’t have a firm grasp of the country it covers. Dean Baquet and others have admitted as much on various occasions. The priority in Opinion was to help redress that critical shortcoming.

(snip)

But the lessons that ought to have followed the election—lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society—have not been learned. Instead, a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space. Stories are chosen and told in a way to satisfy the narrowest of audiences, rather than to allow a curious public to read about the world and then draw their own conclusions. I was always taught that journalists were charged with writing the first rough draft of history. Now, history itself is one more ephemeral thing molded to fit the needs of a predetermined narrative.

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong.

I do not understand how you have allowed this kind of behavior to go on inside your company in full view of the paper’s entire staff and the public. And I certainly can’t square how you and other Times leaders have stood by while simultaneously praising me in private for my courage. Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery.

Part of me wishes I could say that my experience was unique. But the truth is that intellectual curiosity—let alone risk-taking—is now a liability at The Times. Why edit something challenging to our readers, or write something bold only to go through the numbing process of making it ideologically kosher, when we can assure ourselves of job security (and clicks) by publishing our 4000th op-ed arguing that Donald Trump is a unique danger to the country and the world? And so self-censorship has become the norm.

Read More:

Hat tip: BariWeiss.com

Bari Weiss quits New York Times after bullying by colleagues over ...

Former NY Times Opinion Editor Bari Weiss

Thumbnail

1. 2020 July 14 12:08 pm

Unless you’re an ultra extreme leftist, you’re viewed as a Nazi at the New York Times, CNN, The Washington Post, LA Times, etc.

Bari Weiss is a very courageous woman. Joseph Goebbels and the Soviet-era Pravda and Tass had nothing on the NY Times or CNN. You can’t say this is recent change with the NY Times. Remember Walter Duranty, its Moscow Bureau chief in the 1920s and 1930s?

I strongly suggest you read Bari Weiss’ full resignation letter.

2. 2020 July 14 12:19 pm

JimNorCal –

The storm has been unleashed. Now, we just hold on till things slow down again.

Ever since the defenestration of James Bennet at the New York Times last month I’ve been expecting that Bari Weiss would soon follow. And today Weiss handed in her resignation to the Times with a long open letter to the publisher.

Weiss: A “new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.”

3. 2020 July 14 1:25 pm

More Tim, seems to fit here — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEXznNMLTZQ — violence is backfiring on the Woke.

4. 2020 July 14 2:09 pm

Just they you though it couldn’t get more stupid…
    Twitter now censoring pictures of canned goods from …you guessed it Goya.

5. 2020 July 14 2:29 pm

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was hospitalized Tuesday for a possible infection, according to a spokeswoman for the court.

6. 2020 July 14 2:30 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

KH, 5, I can only shake my head.
    So the Left is going all-in on ethnic cleansing of 60 million Trump supporters?

7. 2020 July 14 2:33 pm

Ghislaine Maxwell denied bail, bummer, why do I believe that’s not about flight risk as much sa it’s about not wanting her to speak or hire some food tasters.

8. 2020 July 14 2:44 pm

KH #5 –

Time for anyone participating in Twitter to bail. I have never been a subscriber,

9. 2020 July 14 3:08 pm

9 – nor I, much like fb, I never saw the point in being a product for them.

10. 2020 July 14 3:13 pm

DoH of FL caught fibbing in their reporting on % positive in testing reporting 93% in Orlando, real number was 9.6%, for a VA hospital 73%, but real number from hospital 6.x %. Apparently they blame it on few bothering to include tests that were negative in their data collection and reporting efforts. Imagine that. 🙄

11. 2020 July 14 3:19 pm

Mum on that KH. It is a plot that we of the Right have hatched. Given enough time every photo and word will be shadow banned on Twitter then soon after it will be shutdown for lack of subscribers. Insidious.

12. 2020 July 14 3:20 pm

Forget the food tasters, its that odd video support tech over there you have to worry about….

13. 2020 July 14 3:51 pm

14. 2020 July 14 5:22 pm

Cancel Culture Deluxe — https://www.zerohedge.com/political/nyt-chief-threat-democracy-eric-weinstein-takes-flamethrower-paper-record-after-bari — “So what just happened? Let me put it bluntly: What was left of the New York Times just resigned from the New York Times. The Times canceled itself. As a separate Hong Kong exists in name only, the New New York Times and affiliated “news” is now the chief threat to our democracy.” — Eric Weinstein

15. 2020 July 14 7:02 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

Gay lib writer Andrew Sullivan resigns from NY Magazine.
    SF museum director resigns after saying he would still collect art from white artists in addition to BIPOC artists.

It’s like a conveyor belt now for libs as the mob picks up steam.

And … Burger King goes “green”. Their cows don’t fart as much methane or something.
    No, really. The Left HATES American burgers, yet BK and other brain dead corporations disrespect their actual customers while kneeling to people who will never be their customers.
    What could go wrong?

16. 2020 July 14 7:03 pm

17. 2020 July 14 7:21 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

Sessions loses to Tuberville.

18. 2020 July 14 7:23 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

Co-founder of the anti-Trump, pseudo-Repub “Lincoln Project” registered as an agent for Russia last year. Well, OK, then.

19. 2020 July 14 8:09 pm
    mpt permalink

4, that was great and made my evening.

Well worth my nightly stroll through the halls of BJG.

20. 2020 July 14 8:25 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

Ah, yes, number 4 LOL.
    At some point we should generate a “Best Hits” reel

21. 2020 July 14 8:28 pm

18 – Fantastic, even if he loses in nov it’s still good news.
    19 – Why am I not surprised at all.

I’m waiting for twitter to self ban itself for it’s tweet backgrounds being white.

22. 2020 July 14 8:32 pm
    Eph permalink

23.

Not if, but 100% guaranteed he loses.

C’Mon bro, too easy.

23. 2020 July 14 10:06 pm

24 – I’m sure turtle is hard at work to assist in that as we speak, it’s his mo.

24. 2020 July 15 1:37 am

In other news, King Eyeore just went out on a limb and picked Tommy Tuberville to win the Alabama senate primary.

25. 2020 July 15 5:22 am
    Eph permalink

26 BC,

Actually, he didn’t.

Give the GOP a chance to botch that election

26. 2020 July 15 6:00 am

what the media IGNORES is just as biased as how they report what they DO cover. Case in point…

27. 2020 July 15 6:31 am

“Eyore: No worries, he still wins 57 states.”

Maybe Biden should change his name to Heinz…. Oh wait, Kerry has the lease on that. Sad.

28. 2020 July 15 6:50 am

What happens when you demonize cops, demoralizing them into quitting (whether they officially resign or not) and then release violent offenders out of prison en masse?

29. 2020 July 15 7:01 am

Eph –

26 BC,

Actually, he didn’t.

Give the GOP a chance to botch that election

Eph please re-read post #26. I said Alabama Senate Primary.

30. 2020 July 15 7:04 am

Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

31. 2020 July 15 7:05 am