A Mandate Misread Or Merely Immaterial?

2009 August 17

Hot Air has a link to a RealClearPolitics column by Jay Cost headlined: Obama Misread His Mandate

I beg to differ. Obama did not care if he had any mandate or not. He “won” and he has been determined to push his policies onto the country to dismantle and remake it according to his own ideology.

The only thing he misread was the American people. As Dorothy Rabinowitz wrote:

The president has a problem. For, despite a great election victory, Mr. Obama, it becomes ever clearer, knows little about Americans. He knows the crowds—he is at home with those. He is a stranger to the country’s heart and character.

He seems unable to grasp what runs counter to its nature. That Americans don’t take well, for instance, to bullying, especially of the moralizing kind, implicit in those speeches on health care for everybody. Neither do they wish to be taken where they don’t know they want to go and being told it’s good for them.

Read the David Horowitz post I discussed in David Horowitz On Saul Alinsky and you tell me whether you think Obama and his administration have been concerned about whether any mandate was misread or whether any talk of a mandate is solely used as cover for his agenda and in reality is merely immaterial.
__________
H/T: Hot Air, RealClearPolitics, Wall Street Journal.

1. 2009 August 17 12:24 pm

{OT} Thanks for fixing the link color btw.

2. 2009 August 17 12:32 pm
    aureliusx permalink

More than anything, Obama just thought (and still thinks) that Americans are stupid. I am sure he spent the first six months after the election laughing himself to sleep every night (“I can’t believe they fell for it!”).

But I agree, INC, mandate has nothing to do with it. Obama never thought he had a mandate, and never will care if he does or does not.

Obama simply can’t believe his luck, and just wants to get as much done before his dumb voters catch on.

He is under no illusions, and never has been.

3. 2009 August 17 12:42 pm
    INC permalink

KH, you’re welcome. At the moment I’m doing it manually because I hate to see them disappear into the background.

4. 2009 August 17 12:47 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

The left does not care about mandates, they never have. Obama does not give a damn about mandates, had he lost the election and been installed in a coup, he would be doing the exact same things….

5. 2009 August 17 12:53 pm
    INC permalink

That’s my point. It amazes me that some pundits are still misreading the man. They either don’t yet understand him, or they have yet to voice their real thoughts.

6. 2009 August 17 12:56 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Obama may have a ‘Daddy’…that is operating on an even bigger stage. A Daddy named George perhaps.

To continue some of the biblical parallels we have discussed: there is the evil trio in Revelations, the False Prophet (Chairman Barry), the Antichrist (Georgie Soros) and the Devil (himself).

Perhaps this battle has gone on with different people in these roles throughout history. Genesis implies it goes on forever until the second coming.

Win or lose it is important we play the game politically and spiritually, imo.

7. 2009 August 17 1:10 pm
    INC permalink

Bruce, Horowitz has posted the second part of the series. I’ve updated that post to include the link. He continues to discuss Alinsky in both political and spiritual terms. This was unexpected to me, but I like it, because in my opinion, it’s a vital tie to make.

8. 2009 August 17 1:11 pm

aureliusx –

“More than anything, Obama just thought (and still thinks) that Americans are stupid.”

Considering the fact that Americans elected a President who promised “free beer and pizza” every day and to cut taxes for 95%, he may well be right about “Americans being stupid.” Gates and Crowley are the only ones getting “free beer” and he still shorted them on the free pizza.

9. 2009 August 17 1:12 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Well, we don’t know that these apocalyptic characters will be US-based when they eventually reveal themselves….

Some thought Clinton the Anti-christ, and in his ability to fearlessly lie, he was somewhat original. I never thought he was.

There is a very literal identification for him, right? A deadly head wound that is astonishingly survived?

heh. Has anyone checked Obama’s head?

No, Obama is not the anti-christ, he is far too transparent a liar.

10. 2009 August 17 1:25 pm
    INC permalink

Well, I agree on the non-identification of those two as the anti-christ.

However, Horowitz connections of the political to the spiritual are well-made and, IMO, on target. I’m reminded of Russell Kirk:

“At heart, political problems are moral and religious problems.”

11. 2009 August 17 1:34 pm
    aureliusx permalink

“At heart, political problems are moral and religious problems.”

Of course they are. That’s the essence of all debate. What matters to you and why.

The press know this– and the fact they perpetuated the post-political BS of Obama, knowing full well it was false, in which all who disagreed with Obama’s radical agenda were the ones still “playing politics”– that remains the biggest indictment of the MSM, their biggest failing, and the wound from which they and America may never recover.

12. 2009 August 17 1:52 pm

INC

I’ve posted a patch to fix that. Just waiting for it to be installed.

But while we are on the topic of channeling people — INC I think you became Krauthammers alterego with this post….

Obama’s Ultimate Agenda

Nothing wrong with it, just sayin’.

13. 2009 August 17 2:00 pm

Kenny emailed me this morning saying he is going to be working on our site again soon, so I re-forwarded him the patch you sent me, DD. When I saw INC’s story, I actually thought he had done it. Now that we are on his front burner again, it shouldn’t be too long.

14. 2009 August 17 2:03 pm
    brucefdb permalink

Succinctly put aurelius (1:34pm). The MSM considers their role a religious one I dare say. Their only ‘failure’ (in their eyes) would be if the rubes wake up to the fact that they knowingly lie and distort everything.

15. 2009 August 17 2:21 pm
    INC permalink

Dr. D, thanks for the patch & the column from Dr. K.

Obama has far different ambitions. His goal is to rewrite the American social compact, to recast the relationship between government and citizen….

The reordering of the American system will come not from these temporary interventions, into which Obama has reluctantly waded. It will come from Obama’s real agenda: his holy trinity of health care, education and energy.

He’s absolutely right, although I don’t think Obama was that reluctant to takeover the auto industry, but I agree it was a tactical error on the part of Obama. It angered people and woke them up.

Dr. K’s words needs to be underscored and shouted repeatedly until people get it.

16. 2009 August 17 2:30 pm

Obama’s health care is going to be so injurious to Americans, it is difficult to understand why there is not even more outrage. Of course, the various interest groups line up relative to their goals, and the people are waking up to the pending disaster, but the media is still largely in the tank.

Would Obama really exempt them like the unions?

Will they wake up and start to investigate this fraud in the White House?

Will Hell freeze over first?

17. 2009 August 17 2:45 pm
    phineas gage permalink

The term ‘useful idiots’ is all you need, mullet.

18. 2009 August 17 3:12 pm

JustMary

Yea!! Not picking on JM, sometimes the interior decorator can move faster than the movers (me and Kenny) 🙂

19. 2009 August 17 3:19 pm

It really raises a question in my mind if the media, like the unions and civil servants and other dem support groups, will be carved out and exempted. If not, they must be stupid or have a death wish. — MulletOver

Well that move is already afoot! I can’t remember which one, but a House member has already proposed a change to the tax code for MSM type to have 501(3)(c) status and still be able to report a profit to shareholders. It won’t work you understand, their legacy cost structure exceeds their dwindling income stream so that a tax break only buys them a few years.

I watched a segment of Beck today “Death of Small Business” I presume it is a repeat. But it was interesting to watch these business owners reactions to a 55-60% tax hit. People in this country better wake up pretty damn quick or there won’t be any businesses to work for soon.

20. 2009 August 17 3:45 pm
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Instead of an alternative minimum tax, it ought to be an alternative maximum tax, with 33% as the max bracket, I would prefer lower, but I’d accept 33% as it would keep the total tax rate below 50%

50% is a red line, you will see business owners give up at that point…hell, the middle class pays damn near that much, in the mid 40s….

21. 2009 August 17 4:12 pm
    INC permalink

Dr. D, 😀 !

I did some work as a typesetter back in the dark ages of word processors. I used a really old IBM machine with a large cassette tape. I did the input on one machine and the print out was used for layout on another one! I do tend to notice the way words look on a page!

22. 2009 August 17 6:08 pm

the Dems ALL believe they have a “mandate”. The concept of “Representative Government” is utterly lost on them. Case in point:
    Congressman Eric Massa (D) New York…but a 51/49 seat. In this video he states: “I will adamantly vote against the interests of my District if I think what I am doing is helpful!“. HUH? Don’t you, like, REPRESENT them?? Even when asked if his constituents were 80/20 AGAINST “Single Payer”, he STILL says he would vote for it!
    [HatTip HotAIr and Washington Times]

“>

23. 2009 August 17 6:26 pm

INC,

We’re spoiled. Nothing like the well laid out type of a good book with a typesetter who knows what kerning is all about. MS Word killed it as an art form. Sigh…

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. The Obama White House: Alinsky Reprise | Be John Galt
  2. The Obama White House: Alinsky Reprise - INC’s blog - RedState
  3. J’s Cafe Nette » The Obama White House: Alinsky Reprise
  4. Glenn Beck Interviews David Horowitz:How Radicals Operate and Achieve Their Agenda | Be John Galt